summary of Squeak course from BJA-C & KR book

1 message Options

summary of Squeak course from BJA-C & KR book

Daniel Green-2
   I'd like to say thanks to B.J. Allen-Conn & Kim Rose for the
excellent book that is, "Using Squeak to Enhance Math and Science
Learning."  I was looking for material to get a first course in
Squeak going locally with the science club students, and after
fretting that I probably would never have enough time to create a
proper class curriculum for experimenting with Squeak without
significanly more time spent creating and exploring, I bought the
book mentioned above.  Wow, that was an answer to prayer.  I ended up
working with a group of students for 2 hours, and here is some of the
feedback, just as an FYI and a big thank you to those responsible:
- the university students and professors were wonderful class
assistants, I basically used the first 4 to 5 projects unaltered
- students registered ahead of time and had 2 hours to go through the
first 4 or 5 projects which were instructor led
- there were 13 students registered, 10 attended:
        ages:
                8 years old - 1
                10 years old - 1
                12 years old - 4
                13 years old - 2
                14 years old - 2
- questions answered on survey filled out after course:
        "I learned about Squeak today" 10 agree, 0 disagree
        "I would like to learn more about Squeak" 10 agree, 0 disagree
        "The speed & pace was" 7 just right, 3 too fast
        "Squeak is fun" 10 agree, 0 disagree
        "Teachers & Assistants are helpful" 10 agree, 0 disagree
- specific suggestions received:
        1) longer session, wanted to do more
        2) it was fun and you should do more presentations
        3) make workshop 2 hours and 30 minutes, not 2 hours
        4) it was cool
        5) it was well presented and I learned enough to keep experimenting
- I'm looking forward to attending SqueakFest 2006 this Summer and
plan to have follow-up classes when school starts up again -- there
certainly was interest in continuing  to learn and do more

   Thanks again to B.J. Allen-Conn & Kim Rose for making an excellent
resource available.

   Best regards,

-- DanG
Daniel Green