support of various line ends in trunk

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hello Juan,

> Why would some characters be silently messed by the system?

Precisely because Squeak is an object system. If a string is
supposed to have cr as line separator, you do not want to
allow crlf or lf separated strings to enter the system.
Garbage needs to stay outside.

> But the base system should do none by default.

That doesn't create an acceptable user experience for those
of us using crlf or lf separated strings and is therefore
not acceptable for a multi-platform system.

Stephan Eggermont

Re: support of various line ends in trunk

Juan Vuletich-4
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hello Juan,
>
>> Why would some characters be silently messed by the system?
>
> Precisely because Squeak is an object system. If a string is
> supposed to have cr as line separator, you do not want to
> allow crlf or lf separated strings to enter the system.
> Garbage needs to stay outside.

A string is NOT supposed to have cr as a line separator! That's the
whole point! The system does not enforce nor needs that restriction!

>> But the base system should do none by default.
>
> That doesn't create an acceptable user experience for those
> of us using crlf or lf separated strings and is therefore
> not acceptable for a multi-platform system.

Are you talking about end-user experience or developer experience? I (a
developer) use crlf text files all the time on my Windows machine and lf
text files all the time on my Mac. Being able to see what's on a file,
and being able to control it is invaluable to me. That's why I did it
right on Cuis, to ease my own experience. If you're talking about
end-users, I consider Squeak an environment for doing end-user
applications. Then, I have all the freedom do give my users whatever
they need.

> Stephan Eggermont

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich