sweep failed to find exact end of memory

sweep failed to find exact end of memory

Avi  Bryant
I'm seeing this on a unix 3.7-7 VM running on Linux: if I start it
with an image larger than exactly 400MB, it fails immediately with
this stack trace:

sweep failed to find exact end of memory

-1731071872 SystemDictionary>garbageCollect
-1731071964 WeakArray class>isFinalizationSupported
-1731072084 WeakArray class>restartFinalizationProcess
-1731072176 WeakArray class>startUp:

The same image opens fine on my MacBook with whichever VM.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Avi

Re: sweep failed to find exact end of memory

Andreas.Raab
I think you're seeing the old problem of signed vs. unsigned ints when
accessing memory locations (the negative numbers seem to indicate that
much). Try a later VM (3.9-7 is the latest according to SqueakVM.org) -
IIRC, then this problem got fixed in later versions.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Avi Bryant wrote:

> I'm seeing this on a unix 3.7-7 VM running on Linux: if I start it with
> an image larger than exactly 400MB, it fails immediately with this stack
> trace:
>
> sweep failed to find exact end of memory
>
> -1731071872 SystemDictionary>garbageCollect
> -1731071964 WeakArray class>isFinalizationSupported
> -1731072084 WeakArray class>restartFinalizationProcess
> -1731072176 WeakArray class>startUp:
>
> The same image opens fine on my MacBook with whichever VM.
>
> Anyone have any idea what's going on?
>
> Avi

Re: sweep failed to find exact end of memory

Yann Monclair-2

Hi Avi,

I have had problems with WeakArrays blocking my image. Did you try
clearing the cache from seaside and/or monticello ? maybe try that on
the macbook and then try the image cleared with the unix vm on linux.

Just a thought,

Yann