swiki links broken in rc3

K K Subbu
Hi,

In RC3, Help->Squeak Swiki brings up a window with a selected number of
swiki pages, but the hyperlinked text do not work.

If I select "How to contribute to Squeak" and select "Monticello", I get
an error:
-----
There is no Web browser installed but the URL was copied to the
clipboard /squeak/1287

Do you want to view the Web page's source/response any way?
-----
If I now select yes, I get an "Error: Unsupported scheme:/squeak/1287"
window. The URL is missing the server part. Anyone else see this error?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: swiki links broken in rc3

timrowledge

> On 2020-03-01, at 2:23 AM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> In RC3, Help->Squeak Swiki brings up a window with a selected number of swiki pages, but the hyperlinked text do not work.
>
> If I select "How to contribute to Squeak" and select "Monticello", I get an error:
> -----
> There is no Web browser installed but the URL was copied to the clipboard /squeak/1287
>
> Do you want to view the Web page's source/response any way?
> -----
> If I now select yes, I get an "Error: Unsupported scheme:/squeak/1287" window. The URL is missing the server part. Anyone else see this error?

Yes; same error.

And it is very surprising to see a whole load of downloading happening when you first click on 'Help->Squeak Swiki'. And even more surprising what you actually get as a result; a '500 Internal Server Error' seems to be a frequent thing.

This type of help page seems to be parsing and (at least partially successfully) rendering the swiki page text, which is nice but a way to cancel the downloading if it is taking too long would be nice. The list view of pages is working (mostly, bar the 500's) to provide the linkage from page to page but the text view isn't - since the text has plain (but incorrect) TextURLs in the runs array we get not so helpful behaviour.

The TextURLs seem to be incorrectly built during the download/parse and instead of a plausible schema we get a URL such as '/squeak/2915'. That is what causes the immediate issue Subbu is reporting. Of course, we probably really need to fix the parse to create sometihng more like SwikiHelpLink objects that will work with the help page model to do more appropriate things.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PS: Pirate Software

Re: swiki links broken in rc3

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

We should work on a better integration of Swiki in 6.0alpha. ;-)

Best,
Marcel

On 02/03/20 12:37 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> And it is very surprising to see a whole load of downloading
> happening when you first click on 'Help->Squeak Swiki'. And even more
> surprising what you actually get as a result; a '500 Internal Server
> Error' seems to be a frequent thing.

Is it really necessary to download the entire Squeak swiki given that
many of its pages contain content that would no longer be relevant to
the current version?

This could easily lead to OOM conditions on small machines, if done
accidentally.

A few relevant content (like Morphic or How to contribute ...) could be
pulled into Welcome topic and this entry can be elided from the Help Menu.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: swiki links broken in rc3

marcel.taeumel
Is it really necessary to download the entire Squeak swiki

That does not happen. It just downloads what is directly accessible from the root page PLUS level two for those "has children" indications in the tree. It is an interesting "benchmark" of the flexibility of our help system. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 02.03.2020 11:09:41 schrieb K K Subbu <[hidden email]>:

On 02/03/20 12:37 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> And it is very surprising to see a whole load of downloading
> happening when you first click on 'Help->Squeak Swiki'. And even more
> surprising what you actually get as a result; a '500 Internal Server
> Error' seems to be a frequent thing.

Is it really necessary to download the entire Squeak swiki given that
many of its pages contain content that would no longer be relevant to
the current version?

This could easily lead to OOM conditions on small machines, if done
accidentally.

A few relevant content (like Morphic or How to contribute ...) could be
pulled into Welcome topic and this entry can be elided from the Help Menu.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: swiki links broken in rc3

Christoph Thiede

For the short term, I just sent some improvements for SWikiHelp and HtmlHelpTopic to the inbox.

For the long term, I wonder whether we could unify our different help/documentation systems in some way? We have:

There is a high risk of duplication and obsoletion.
Maybe we could extend swiki to answer specific requests for the content only. The easiest way could be to define a mime-type "text/html-pure" or something like this, directly in the swiki server image?
Ideally, we could redesign swiki to support a complete REST API which you could use to read and write from within the HelpBrowser :D

Best,
Christoph

On 02/03/20 12:37 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> And it is very surprising to see a whole load of downloading
> happening when you first click on 'Help->Squeak Swiki'. And even more
> surprising what you actually get as a result; a '500 Internal Server
> Error' seems to be a frequent thing.

Is it really necessary to download the entire Squeak swiki given that
many of its pages contain content that would no longer be relevant to
the current version?

This could easily lead to OOM conditions on small machines, if done
accidentally.

A few relevant content (like Morphic or How to contribute ...) could be
pulled into Welcome topic and this entry can be elided from the Help Menu.

Regards .. Subbu

Carpe Squeak!