symbolic version proof of concept...

12

Re: symbolic version proof of concept...

Dale Henrichs
Stef,

You are absolutely correct ... this is another of the advantages of
using symbolic versions.

On Nov 26, 1:19 pm, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You can complement:
>         using symbolic versions also avoid to change all the configurations when a change happen. You just change the mapping to stable for example.
>         and the guys depending on you do not have to get updated.
> I hope that this is correct
>
> Stef
> On Nov 26, 2010, at 7:47 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
> > Yes...!
>
> > On 11/26/2010 10:03 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> Let me try an explanation.
>
> >> Metacello versions are used for versioning your configurations.
>
> >> However, these numbers do not have any meaning regarding the intended use and context. For example, when we want to specify what is #stable for various combinations of platforms, we need a slightly different kind of versions. Dale calls these the symbolic versions.
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru

> >> --
> >>www.tudorgirba.com
>
> >> "Beauty is where we see it."

Re: symbolic version proof of concept...

Alexandre Bergel-5
> With the 1.0-beta.28 release I am introducing configuration validation and a toolbox.

I will try

> I plan to expand on your initial additions to the Monticello Browser with more toolbox-based support.

That will be very cool. I do not know whether supporting Metacello in the Monticello is the best thing to do (as Stef pointed out). However, it seems to be okay in practice. Once we will reach a fix point on this, I will do a screencast. Metacello has greatly simplified my life :-) We should keep going! :-)

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: symbolic version proof of concept...

Dale Henrichs
I agree that Monticello isn't the best place for a GUI, but
OmniBrowser isn't loaded all of the time, so the options are
limited...

Sounds like a plan!

Dale

On Nov 27, 1:05 pm, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > With the 1.0-beta.28 release I am introducing configuration validation and a toolbox.
>
> I will try
>
> > I plan to expand on your initial additions to the Monticello Browser with more toolbox-based support.
>
> That will be very cool. I do not know whether supporting Metacello in the Monticello is the best thing to do (as Stef pointed out). However, it seems to be okay in practice. Once we will reach a fix point on this, I will do a screencast. Metacello has greatly simplified my life :-) We should keep going! :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> > Dale
> > On 11/26/2010 09:29 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> >> Personally, the biggest problem I have with Metacello, is that when something is going wrong, the error messages are not that useful. Several times I had to ask you and the mailing list to know what's going wrong. I had started to work on a support for Metacello in the Monticello browser. I use it and it helps me.
>
> >> Supporting version to platform mapping is important (we are currently being bitten by this). But I spend more time on getting a configuration right than missing the mapping.
>
> >> This is just my personal feeling and opinion.
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Alexandre

12