"the last mimsy" had "our rabbit" as the hero

"the last mimsy" had "our rabbit" as the hero

Paul Sheldon-2
Well, almost.

I had fooled around with musical experiments which were going to be met
by easy opinions of why it wouldn't sell. There's some sort of wierd
jealousy
that meets some of my musical experiments
with an obnoxious degree righteous indignation.
This spoils my fun.

I just wanted to play with Basia (the Polish diva),
sort of use my own genetic algorithm to make a musical baby with her.
My friends were going to say it was too busy or I ruined her perfect song.
I didn't want to steal her intellectual property, just play with her music.
I wanted my friends to "get over themselves" and even engineered
an introduction by a fake George Bush.

I wanted to show my friends who are too serious about the music business
that I could have wild abandon and fun with this already busy Basia piece,
La Luna. I modified my keyboard so it would also play from my iPod
so I could jam with her.

In an absurd finally,
I gave a test where I slowed down the aiff file to show them how I played
so fast with this fast song. They had to sing along with a half speed Basia.

I had been scared about audience reaction to this absurd performance
and took off to escape
to watch, what I thought, was a science fiction child's tale.
I was profoundly moved.
There was Alice Liddle holding our rabbit who needed to jump
through a looking glass to reinvent the future.

There is something of the rebellious teenager or child
that "renders" when I read science fiction, that reminds me why
I am in this business of doing on the edge stuff.
I have this feeling of eustress, good stress, a mingling of fear, yes,
but a mingling with a curiousity that mounts up and soars above that fear,
recaptured youth.

Re: "the last mimsy" had "our rabbit" as the hero

javaJake
On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:01:23 -0400, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, almost.
>
> I had fooled around with musical experiments which were going to be met
> by easy opinions of why it wouldn't sell. There's some sort of weird
> jealousy
> that meets some of my musical experiments
> with an obnoxious degree righteous indignation.
> This spoils my fun.
>
> I just wanted to play with Basia (the Polish diva),
> sort of use my own genetic algorithm to make a musical baby with her.
> My friends were going to say it was too busy or I ruined her perfect
> song.
> I didn't want to steal her intellectual property, just play with her
> music.
> I wanted my friends to "get over themselves" and even engineered
> an introduction by a fake George Bush.
>
> I wanted to show my friends who are too serious about the music business
> that I could have wild abandon and fun with this already busy Basia
> piece,
> La Luna. I modified my keyboard so it would also play from my iPod
> so I could jam with her.
>
> In an absurd finally,
> I gave a test where I slowed down the aiff file to show them how I played
> so fast with this fast song. They had to sing along with a half speed
> Basia.
>
> I had been scared about audience reaction to this absurd performance
> and took off to escape
> to watch, what I thought, was a science fiction child's tale.
> I was profoundly moved.
> There was Alice Liddle holding our rabbit who needed to jump
> through a looking glass to reinvent the future.
>
> There is something of the rebellious teenager or child
> that "renders" when I read science fiction, that reminds me why
> I am in this business of doing on the edge stuff.
> I have this feeling of eustress, good stress, a mingling of fear, yes,
> but a mingling with a curiosity that mounts up and soars above that fear,
> recaptured youth.

Um, sorry, I'm new to this list. Is Croquet more about philosophical
ideas, or is this list just philosophical? :)

Re: "the last mimsy" had "our rabbit" as the hero

Howard Stearns
Heh.   Croquet is a loosely-coupled volunteer community, in which
people create their own roles.

I think of Paul as our poet-in-residence.

(I don't always have time to contemplate his contributions, but I
generally find it quite worthwhile when I do so.)

Anyway, the croquet-dev list tends to be more technical discussion
about the implementation of croquet internals.
Croquet-user has lately tended to more about what the bigger picture,
and also "end-user" questions, which is interesting because there is
an SDK and no end-user application just yet.

That leaves it a little open to judgement about where one would post
about creating Croquet applications.