the non universals

123

Re: the non universals

Blake-5
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 05:00:03 -0700, Alan Kay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> But here's where we should give the special cases amongst the much
> maligned (and quite a bit for good reason) teacher corps great credit.
> Every once in a while a great teacher does light the fires, and those
> that are affected by this never forget it. To me this is the way it
> should be, because many children are close to the intense interest that
> you describe, and contact with another person can be just what they need
> to give them a little more confidence and courage, to get them to look
> at something a little closer.
>
> I've had just a few of these, but they were huge experiences in my life.

Oh, absolutely. I do believe that the positive feelings that many (most?)
harbor for teachers comes from that "one" who really connected with them.
And, like any class of people, the group as a whole is less admirable than
the individuals therein.

The IAHP is very much for--as a matter of effectiveness--mom as the
primary teacher, and yet it was they who pointed out to me that, given the
differences in childrens' behaviors, interests and development, it's a
miracle that they are successful at all. Which was for me, as a guy who
felt his school years were a waste academically, a needed perspective.

Re: the non universals

K. K. Subramaniam
On Friday 24 August 2007 4:19 am, Alan Kay wrote:
> One example on the Squeakers DVD
> showed 11 year old Tyrone explaining just how he worked out and
> derived the actual differential equations of motion (in
> intellectually honest and mathematical version that computers make
> very practical).
Alan,

I read the Powerful Ideas book (over and over!) and watched Tyrone on video.
What I couldn't factor out in this experiment is the extent of BJ's influence
in the outcomes. She comes across as a person who helps kids "learn to
learn". Such talented people are rare. Would'nt such people figure out a way
to get the same outcome without Etoys? In what ways did Etoys amplify her
teaching abilities?

To take an extreme case - what if a child does not have access (or has rare
access) to teachers? Would Etoys continue to nudge the kids along the right
direction the same way?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: the non universals

Bill Kerr
On 8/24/07, Alan Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mark --At 05:01 AM 8/24/2007, Guzdial, Mark wrote:
I'd like to argue with your claim from cognitive psychology, though.  "Length of exposure" is an ill-defined variable which has since been better refined and tested.  What does "length of exposure" mean?  One hour a day for two years?  One hour a week for two years?  Here's a brief thought experiment to address this point: I'll bet everyone on this list remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing when they first learned of the 9/11 attacks.  That wasn't a very long exposure, yet everyone remembers it.  Why?

All I can say is that this was very thoroughly studied in the 60s (as was deep habit formation). What they were testing were not memories of isolated unusual incidents (nor of "movie recognition memory" which is also from one trial). What they were doing was testing changes of paradigms in outlook, and for most children these took immersion in an environment for well over a year to be strongly detectable years later.

The two new variables that are more often studied are:
- Time on task.  The more time you spend on an activity, the more likely that you will remember the experience and lessons of that activity later.
- Amount of reflection.  The more often that you reuse an association, the more often you think about and talk about an experience, the more likely you will retain it.  That's the best explanation I know for the 9/11 effect (or the Challenger effect, or the JFK assassination effect).  You thought about that moment later that day, and the next day, and you've discussed it with your friends.  That leads to longer term learning.

To me, these are not as interesting (nor are they parallels) to large scale epistemological shifts.

A connection can be made between "time on task", "amount of reflection" and large scale epistemological shifts but not through reference to sensational events like 9/11. Remembering 9/11 does not imply deepening reflection about it.

However, Seymour Papert made this connection through the concept of building a relationship or falling in love with a subject domain

I think much of Seymour's mathetics, as outline in The Children's Machine, can be fairly directly connected to "time on task" and "amount of reflection". To present this briefly more in the form of slogans than detailed comments:
  • Play is OK
  • The emotional precedes the cognitive
  • Our knowledge is like our relationships with other people
  • Take risks
  • Take your time (aka slow deep thinking)
  • A good discussion promotes learning
If you immerse yourself - out of passionate interest - in something (eg. gears, LEGO, logo) that connects in some way to the powerful ideas on the non universals list then increased time on task and reflection are likely to flow from that

So our task as educators is to provide the materials which allow powerful and not trivial relationships to be formed.

Some controversy takes place around what the powerful materials are. eg. playing computer games such as World of Warcraft, is that powerful or trivial?

Other discussion takes place around how to make the powerful materials more accessible to unsophisticated learners eg. etoys (visual programming) is more accessible than text base python programming

Alan's claim that a significant paradigm shift takes more than a year is crucial to our analysis of what happens in School, since School is organised on a one year teacher-student turnaround. If the claim is correct then perhaps School ought to be organised on at least a two year teacher-student turn around. I have taught in one secondary school that encouraged teachers to double up on both subjects (eg. take the same students for maths and science) and time (take the same classes of students for more than one year). I did notice some remarkable changes happening at around the 18 month mark.

--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/

Re: the non universals

Bill Kerr

I haven't seen the arguments for and against teaching design patterns early. My guess is that the argument for would be that a design pattern might be something easier to have a conversation about than code or pseudo code - and that the conversation is good for learning the structure of complex systems

But the complaint about your blog is really that, to quote alan, that the "three examples are very different and don't really deserve to go together"

I just reread Seymour Papert's "The Gears of My Childhood" and I think you do oversimplify what he was saying to a level which degrades his real communication

He is saying that his early childhood playing with gears, especially the differential gear, played a big part in his creation of a mental model that was invaluable for his later understanding of some aspects of maths, including:
- that a system could be lawful and comprehensible without being rigidly deterministic
- multiplication tables
- equations with two variables

It also served as a model to help him understand Piaget's assimilation. At this point he pauses to mention / criticise Piaget for not saying more about the emotional ("affective") aspect of assimilation, only focusing on the cognitive side.

A bit later Papert says:
"I fell in love with the gears. This is something that cannot be reduced to purely 'cognitive' terms. Something very personal happened ..."

Papert's argument is that intense immersion in certain "objects to think with" (eg. gears in his individual case, logo and LEGO) can lead to the development of internal useful mental models that can be applied to new learning at a later date

I think what Papert is saying is consistent or at least not inconsistent with what you say in paragraph four of your original:

"... As we think about and generalize across our concrete associations, we create new associations that abstract the concrete knowledge we have. These newly inferred associations generalize the concrete details, in the sense that they make clear what's an important detail and what isn't, based on what are the common parts of the concrete associations we're connecting. As we learn new concrete associations, we might recognize the abstractions as being immediately applicable, because they match the common and unnecessary details of other experiences we know. We might also infer new abstractions that take into account both older concrete associations, older abstractions, and new associations."

btw I'm not saying that Papert is necessarily correct. From my reading of more recent research about the mind (eg. Andy Clark, Daniel Dennett) the whole idea of internal mental models (and Minsky's frames) seems to be now regarded as suspect. I don't really know. Nevertheless, my gut feeling is still that Papert's position here does provide a useful guide to good practice. Since there is no unified learning theory we have to cherry pick the best bits.

cheers,
--
Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/

On 8/24/07, Brad Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
though I'd pass this along for another viewpoint. Mark Guzdial's latest
perspective on powerful ideas, abstractions and design patterns:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK13L1MC1Q3613J

Re: the non universals

Alan Kay
Good question --

This is not really about Etoys but about what it takes to make use of a variety of perspectives on ideas in math, science (and elsewhere).

One of the big insights of Seymour Papert was that an incremental discrete form of differential equations that is extremely simple but computationally intensive would fit very well with the kinds of thinking that children can readily do. Babbage was one of the first who proposed that "these calculations should be executed by steam" because he realized that machinery could open up this way of looking at calculus.

Gauss upped the ante considerably by being one of several top mathematicians in the 19th century who moved geometry from a global to a local perspective. Papert realized that the child had this "coordinate system" of having all changes be relative to them wherever they were. And the additive form of DEs also applied here if you used vectors (and that vectors were a very good internal way to think about numbers).

Seymour proposed that you could use an interactive computer to make a "Mathland" in which a powerful mathematics could be situated as the way to talk about and cause phenomena of interest to a child (and most importantly to start building some ways to think about things in ways different than stories that would eventually constitute a new outlook on both thinking and phenomena).

So the key idea here is made of several important insights that include new ways to look at things, but also to make them happen. This last has partly to do with emotional payoff. For example, in the case of Galilean gravity it is possible to use something like Galileo's lute strings (see the afterword in BJ and Kim's book) or e.g. rolling a toy truck carrying a baggie filled with ink with a hole in it down an inclined plane to get the constant acceleration spacings that lead to the two stage incremental relations. This can all be done without a computer, but it is much more difficult to motivate the level of precision that we want the kids to employ, and to provide a vehicle for both checking their analysis (this is supposed to be science after all), and to make really fun things that now use the gravity model (like Lunar Lander, firing a cannon, shoot the alien, etc.). This is supposed to be fun after all.

Etoys is just one of a number of approaches done by people who got really interested in Seymour's insights (and Etoys itself is actually an amalgam of the ideas from many contributors outside of our immediate research group).

Right now, to get above threshold science and math, we need highly motivated teachers like BJ. But if the highly motivated teacher does not have an environment that situates the ideas and approaches (and curricula) then many (if not most) important things won't happen (except perhaps for a very few children).

An even rarer case is the highly motivated teacher who has a deep understanding of the subject and of the learners. For example, Julia Nishijima of the Open School (of whom I've written about elsewhere) showed what could be done with 6 year olds, and it is really impressive. Her curriculum was "almost perfect" in balance and depth. A small part of this curriculum used the computer (again for what only the computer could do as an "educational material").

If we look out in the world, in the US, Europe, Asia, and much wider, we do not find enough adults who can carry the powerful ideas of math and science and help children make them their own. This is especially acute wrt parents, because here we have a much better "student-teacher ratio" and we also have a great social environment for learning. Quite a bit of success in children learning to read has quite a bit of correlation with how parents deal with reading in the home. It would be great if this could be true for "real math" and "real science".

So utopian enterprises like OLPC really need to think about using the computer not just for an environment, but as a guide (something "better than no teacher and better than a bad teacher"). This is perhaps the most important and high stakes way to interpret "the computer as a dynamic book" (that is it could be a kind of book that can also teach people how to read and write it).

I think of this as one of the great and most important "Grand Challenges" for the 21st century.

Cheers,

Alan

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:17:03 -0700, Bill Kerr <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> refined and tested.  What does "length of exposure" mean?  One hour a
>> day for two years?  One hour a week for two years?  Here's a brief
>> thought
>> experiment to address this point: I'll bet everyone on this list
>> remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing when they
>> first learned of the 9/11 attacks.  That wasn't a very long exposure,
>> yet everyone remembers it.  Why?

Again citing Glenn Doman and the IAHP, there are three factors in
retention of data: Frequency, intensity and duration. Number of times of
exposure, the intensity of that exposure and the length of that exposure.

9/11 was a very intense exposure and, you know what, it was a pretty long
one, too. Little else occupied a lot of people's minds for a solid week.
Then you have the frequency of subsequent exposure: 9/11, the moon
landing, the Kennedy Assassination...I would imagine the firing on Fort
Sumter...it's not like these things happen in their brief moment and are
never mentioned again.

> Some controversy takes place around what the powerful materials are. eg.
> playing computer games such as World of Warcraft, is that powerful or
> trivial?

World of Warcraft is extremely powerful. It conveys things that are of
highly limited value, but it does so in a very effective fashion. The
intensity is probably as high as a virtual environment can get (I'm
guessing, I've never played), and it encourages both frequency and
duration.

The guys to ask about that, I guess, would be the America's Army guys.
They've been giving away their free combat game as a recruitment tool--but
it was initially a training tool as well.

Re: the non universals

Mark Miller
From: Blake <[hidden email]>

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:33:37 -0700, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > No, they didn't use the term "office suite" back then. I was relating
> > the curriculum to what it would be called now. We did learn about how to
> > use a word processor, spreadsheet, and database application, though.
> > Yes, they were separate applications. May be I didn't make that clearin
> > what I wrote. I remember we used AppleWriter (I think), and VisiCalc,and
> > some database app. whose name I can't remember, all on Apple II's.
>
> Well, let me apologize if I sounded overly picky. There was a very short
> window (historically speaking) for when "office suite" might have meant
> anything other than "Microsoft Office". It's depressing to hear that (at
> least in your experience) the needle went from oddball geek hobby to
> mundane replacement for typewriter, ledger and filing system. To their
> current state: Monopoly perpetuators.

Just a simple misunderstanding. :)

My experience with computing in Jr. high was fun, interesting, and challenging,
largely because we were allowed to bring in our own creativity. From what I've
been hearing this stands in stark contrast to what passes for computing in
schools now, which sounds tedious and boring. IMO it's no wonder people don't
want to go into CS. Their first experience with it is like "stale bread"
compared to what I had. There are other reasons for the decrease in interest,
but inspiration to move towards it should not be overlooked.

> Too much of it is a matter of interest destroyed: A student attacks a
> subject vigorously but is crushed in some manner or another, say with the
> sort of ritualistic kind of "teaching" Alan describes, where there is no
> understanding, and these days where the rituals have been replaced with a
> shadow of something that "builds self-esteem" while even denigrating
> understanding. And of course the usual brutal traditions of bad teachers.

I agree with you about the moves towards "self-esteem" practices that only end
up deceiving students and parents into believing the students are learning
everything they can when in fact they're missing out.

I experienced the ritualistic methodology you speak of in a couple of the
primary schools I attended. It didn't agree with me. Fortunately I didn't have
to stay there long. I grew up with a single mother who just so happened to be a
Montessori teacher. :) She wanted me to be in creative, interesting schools
whenever possible. When I was young I was moved in and out of private and public
schools. Things stabilized for me at 5th grade when she found a public school
district that fit reasonably well with what she and I both wanted for me.

My mother and I recounted this recently. I was telling her a bit about this
discussion on here. She said when she was evaluating what schools I should
attend she looked at the curricula/programs and she talked to the principals.
She said principals had a lot of power to shape the schools. They hired the
teachers. If she liked what the principal had to say, she'd consider sending me
to that school.

I had a mixture of good and bad teachers, and as Kay said in response to your
post, I had some that inspired me, even years later, to study further what they
taught.

One was a civics teacher in Jr. high. He was the only teacher I can
remember who made an effort to really show us what goes on in politics,
democracy, functioning governments, and courtrooms, by setting up these
scenarios in the classroom, and then showing us our own behavior in these
settings. In one exercise he set up a scenario where the class was "on a
spaceship" and had landed on a livable planet, and we were setting up a new
government from scratch. He then let us loose debating and agreeing to systems
of government, and laws that would govern our society. It was simplistic, of
course. The interesting thing was what new ideas emerged when existing
constraints were removed. These exercises were fascinating, because we were
participating in and observing a society in a microcosm.

We were allowed to be as opinionated as we wanted to be, and we were
allowed to discuss those opinions with the other students. Sometimes the teacher
would jump in to provide some clarity and adult experience to the conversation.
I still remember some of the experiences we had in that class. Interesting
stuff.

Another was a CS professor at the university I attended as an undergrad. My goal
was to take a graduate level course on compilers since I was curious about them.
Before I could get there I had to take a senior level course on programming
languages, where we explored different types of languages, their conceptual
underpinnings, history, and some of what made them tick. This was in 1991. We
did some labs in a few of the dynamic languages, including Smalltalk. I
remember the professor explained to us that Smalltalk was originally not just a
language, but a computer system. I don't think he used the term "operating
system" to describe it. From what I understand now it would fit well in a
course on operating systems, though the CS curriculum apparently didn't
recognize it for what it was. This professor did. He said the language was a
part of the system, and the system could be modified via. the language while it
was running. He also said it had a graphical interface with windows.
 I remember being a bit dazzled by this description. It sounded very
interesting, but it gave me a bit of headache trying to understand what he was
talking about. I eventually got it after pondering it for a while. It's too bad
he didn't have any of the videos of the ST-80 demos from Xerox.

We didn't use the full Smalltalk system for our assignments, but rather GNU
Smalltalk, using only its scripting mode. I had a great time, brief as it was,
programming in it. It was my first OOP language. What I liked about it is it
seemed that one could "program with concepts" rather than with types. I had the
experience of creating a domain-specific language (that's what they call it
now), and the pleasure of doing that came from it feeling so natural to use. I
could express a problem in a notation that was basically native to the domain. I
still remember the experience. It's the reason I even thought to look at Squeak
last year once I heard about it.

BTW, Alan, your presentation at ETech 2003 on Squeak and Croquet, and the
history it built upon blew my mind. I watched it online. It took the Smalltalk
experience I had in college up to a whole new level. The feeling I had
afterwards was, "What have I been doing all of these years?" Thanks for that! :)

> But you know, it doesn't seem to matter much what subject it is, I've seen
> the same thing in all of them: if the student is interested, nothing will
> stop him; if not, nothing will help. Some of this is a matter of native
> interest: We are not all interested in the same things, and no matter how
> delightfully presented, the subject will remain at best a mild curiosity.

I guess I can relate to this through a couple of experiences I had with math
subjects, but usually this was not the case with others. If a teacher made an
effort to teach a subject well I tended to get interested enough to learn it.
There was meat to these subjects, and the teacher tried to convey an
understanding of that.

I had decent teachers in Calculus and linear algebra, insofar as they made an
effort to cover topics completely using their methodology and engage their
students, but I had a hard time getting interested in the subject and/or
relating to it. I think it was largely because what they did was teach a few
basic concepts in depth, and then spent the rest of the class on high level
concepts, never delving into what was really going on. So basically all I
learned from them was pattern matching and symbol manipulation. This only got
interesting when I took a CS class where one of our assignments was to create a
Lisp program that did symbolic differentiation, which heavily used these
same skills.

The part of all this that felt so empty was I could go through the motions and
get a correct answer, by following some rules, without having a real grasp of
what I was describing with my algebraic equations. It's a scary feeling,
actually. I felt like I was learning very little, and in retrospect I think that
feeling was correct. In large part the classes were a waste of my time, unless
the goal was not to teach me math, but these other skills. I've sometimes
wondered if that's the reason the CS curriculum requires one to take Calculus.
I've heard more than one person tell me that it's good for CS students to take
lots of math, because it indirectly teaches you how to approach problems
logically. Well, it did that for me, but I don't think I really learned
Calculus.

I had a few experiences back then that demonstrated to me that I had very little
understanding of linear math, despite being able to produce correct answers in
it by following some rules. I didn't come to truly understand the subject until
I took physics.

---Mark
[hidden email]
http://tekkie.wordpress.com

Re: the non universals

Mark Miller
From: "Bill Kerr" <[hidden email]>

> Mark Miller wrote:
>
>> Over the decades there's been a tearing down of authority. Now it's expected
>> it will be distributed rather than narrowly focused, at least in more
>> "liberal" environments (forgive my use of a political term). It seems like
>> these are exercises in egalitarianism, where that's the primary value,
>> rather than merit of the subject matter, because after all, who's to say one
>> subject is more important than the other? By what authority do you claim one
>> subject is worth less than another? In an environment where the "gods" have
>> been torn down, seen as flawed and not worth listening to because their
>> motives are suspect, everybody is a "god"
>
> I think that's an accurate description of what has been happening in formal
> education in Australia and probably the "west". In the name of
> egalitarianism in government schools in Australia the curriculum is being
> watered down. One effect of this has been a migration of some of the best
> students from government schools to private schools. So something done in
> the name of equal outcomes ends up having the opposite impact.
>
> The thing I like about Alan's non universals list is that it is a valid
> attempt to suggest that some knowledge might be more important than other
> knowledge. This is based on scientific anthropological evidence. The
> egalitarian assumption (and it is an assumption more than an argument) that
> all curriculum areas ought to be equal is hard to change - it has become
> institutionalised. But it's valuable to have a counter argument that is more
> than just an assertion or a bald belief.

Another aspect I forgot to mention about this trend is there's this idea among
those who are more ideologically driven that there should be no judgement about
anything. So if you're bringing in ideas that require judgement you may run into
resistance. Unfortunately there are some who care so much about advancing
the ethics of tolerance and non-judgement that they're drawn to absolutist,
almost militant positions rooted in the universals. They miss some of the
reasons why intolerance was able to flourish in the past, and I've
found that in fact they repeat some of the same behavior patterns as those they
say they despise, just with different criteria for discrimination. So
unfortunately you may be faced with an intractible problem because you're
dealing with people who probably don't have an appreciation for the
non-unversals to begin with. I wish I could give advice for how to deal with
this mentality, but I've only seen this in people. I haven't had to deal with
them.

> Other parts of your post indicate that there is an endless stream of
> proposals which superficially might sound like "good ideas" (computer
> literacy, vocational training, emotional intelligence) but which in all
> likelihood just tap into the more mainstream universals thinking. Once
> again, for me, the non universals list provide a coherent rallying point to
> resist this sort of thing.

I personally liked it when they were promoting programming as "computer
literacy", and from reading Mark Guzdial's blog it looks like that idea might be
returning, now in a broader context. I'd like to think that programming at least
provided some lessons in the non-universals, though I'm sure that
wasn't the intent for bringing it in. In reality schools behaved as if they were
part of a "cargo cult", as I've seen some people use the term. They were swept
up by the idea that "this is the next big thing and we don't want to be left
behind". Schools are not the only places where this happens. It happens in
business as well. The whole dot-com boom and bust was a "cargo cult" writ large.
It's a pattern that's been repeated over and over. The same thing happened with
toll roads and railroads in the U.S. in the 19th century. What always happens is
a practical context eventually emerges from the "cargo cult" once people sober
up from their mania. This is always preceded by an economic crash. Eventually
these technologies are used in a meaningful way. Since there's apparently a
symbiotic relationship between schools and industry, it's understandable
though unfortunate that schools end up getting caught in this. The thing is if
they didn't they'd be accused of teaching students "useless knowledge", or not
promoting progress and meeting trends. I used to think this way. I knew
others who did as well. There's a certain practicality about it. If you're
just trying to make a living it can seem like there's little point in trying to
become enlightened. It's easier to try to swim in the same waters as
everyone else, because it seems like this will open up the largest number
of opportunities for you. There's comfort in numbers. The practical ethic is
that enlightenment is for those who have the time (and money) for it, or for
those who are smart and can "get it" quickly. Since most high school
students do not go on to college (at least in the U.S.), the practical ethic
probably holds sway most  of the time.

I know our present situation is not nearly as precarious, but this reminds me a
bit of the mindset of the Middle Ages. Despite the illiteracy of common folk and
leaders of countries, Charlemagne was someone who thought differently and
recognized the value of literacy and education, despite his own circumstances
and that of his people. I haven't heard an explanation yet on why. I might
investigate that sometime. He learned to read, and set about setting up schools
for the populace, though as I understand his campaign to promote education
didn't last long because of other disruptions. The impression I get is this
probably mystified a lot of people of the time. It would've been seen as
frivolous, having no practical value. Today we see this action on his part as
enlightened.

I think the idea of emotional intelligence is coming out of a managerial ethos.
People have been picking up on the idea since the 1990s (that's when I first
noticed it, anyway) that the way things are shaping up is that the U.S. will no
longer be a place where stuff is made, but rather where ideas are created, and
then turned into tangible products elsewhere. In short, "the rest of the world
will produce, and we will manage that process". That's the idea anyway. I don't
know how well it will pan out, and I personally don't endorse it. I like the
idea that we make stuff here as well as around the world. But to take this
managerial argument to its logical conclusion, IMO you need some
technical intelligence to come up with feasible ideas for products to
begin with, unless all you want to have is executive management that
just allocates resources and that's the only domain in which you
expect innovation to take place. Basically if you're going to become a
global "management society" (if that's the goal), then you need people who
can work well with other people, here and in other cultures, and
inspire and lead to get things done--emotional intelligence (though I'd just
call it by its common name: social skills)--along with the logistical skills.
The problem is I don't see quite where schools fit into this. They can teach the
logistical skills, and knowledge about other cultures, but they're not
configured to "teach" social skills. That skill is inculcated most effectively
in the family, IMO.

> One of the things I lament about the U.S. public school system is it's
> > becoming increasingly politicized in the sense that teachers are literally
> > bringing political topics into classrooms where they don't fit well ....
>

> I disagree  with you on  the 3 paragraphs beginning with the above. Say,
> take intelligent design. My feeling is that rather than banning it, it would
> be better to debate it. This sharpens up peoples understanding of the
> issues.
>
> The real problem here I think is lack of democracy in schools. ie. a teacher
> may express a poltical view and students feel they don't have the right to
> contradict it. I feel that we need to learn to debate and argue better and
> this takes practice!

The supporters of the teaching methods I described previously (I hesitate to use
the word "method", because I don't really see a purpose to it, but some people
do) say that this sort of "dialogue" between teachers and high school students
"promotes debate". The examples I've heard about do not promote debate. They're
more like class lectures with the teacher rambling on about their POV on the
world, and not very intelligently at that. I've heard people compare this to the
Socratic method, which strains believability and insults people's intelligence
(the comparison, that is). I don't mean to equate this to germane discussions
that fit within the context of the subject being taught, and there's a give and
take between teachers and students. As I said in an earlier posting on the
Squeakland list, when done well it can be a valuable learning experience.

I haven't heard of any heavy handed intimidation with teachers and
students in high schools. I have heard of an unsettling number of instances
of this at universities, in the arts and humanities, where political
correctness stifles healthy discussions. In these settings it seems more like
attempts at indoctrination than education, which is a real shame, not only
because they take the approach of shoving an ideology down students' throats and
call it "critical thinking" (they use this canard as well), rather than
conveying knowledge and encouraging academic investigation of it, but also it's
a big waste of money. College is not cheap.

I used to entertain the idea of ID being discussed in biology. While I don't
mind its existence being mentioned, I've changed my mind about it going further
than that. Physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson made a very good argument against
entertaining ID in science classes. He said the danger of bringing in the idea
that an intelligent designer created what we see in our world is it precludes
discovery. If a designer made what we see then there's no reason to explore
it, because the cause of the phenomenon's existence, structure, and
other properties have already been determined. He concluded with a
concept I had never heard before, but I think it puts science in its proper
context: Science is a philosophy of discovery. So anything that says
"we cannot explore this, because we already know the answer" has no
place in this philosophy. He emphasized that this does not mean that
people's faith in a higher power is invalid. It just means it has no place
in a scientific context, and it seemed to me that by defining science as
a philosophy he implied that it did not have a monopoly on the truth
either. It's a method of discovering things about us and our world, which
produces knowledge that is consistent and reliable. Unfortunately I can't
reproduce exactly what he said here, but I thought his argument was so good that
there was no disputing it.

You might ask why not have this discussion in biology, since it would clarify
the issue. I think once you open it up for discussion you introduce a dynamic
where no matter how well reasoned the argument is there will be some who will
choose to not agree with it, because they feel it challenges their faith, and
this can be disruptive. What I used to hear happened at the high school I
attended was when a science class got into subjects that fundamentally disagreed
with students' faith, they were free to leave the classroom while that subject
was being covered, and could come back in later. This expressed their dissent,
and they could choose not to be present for ideas that they fundamentally
disagreed with, but it did not open the subject up for non-scientific debate.
This seems like a reasonable policy to me for science courses. If students want
to bring up anomalies in the theory of evolution, fine, but I don't think it's
appropriate to set up a situation where you get into a discussion of whether
something supernatural created what we see or if it came about through random
interactions. Save that for existential philosophy.  There are other outlets for
this as well, such as literature, art, and perhaps religious studies.

You might ask why treat science courses differently than others? I think that
science is unique with respect to religion, because both attempt to explain in
their own way why things are the way they are. Some would say science explains
more about *how* things are than why, and there's some truth to that. There's
no rhyme or reason for it except what is self-evident. Religion uses methods
that fit in the universals category, magical and intuitive, for explaining these
things. Science uses methods that fit in the non-universals category. Not to
say that this encompasses all that religion is. It promotes some
non-universals, like reading, obviously, and it promotes some aspects of
civilization, like following a set of laws, and social harmony, foregoing one's
own interests for the greater good. These aspects of it were far more valuable
in Medieval times when illiteracy and chaos were rampant, but I don't think it
should be taken for granted today. It's natural for children up to about age 7
to exist entirely in the universals. I'm just speculating, but religion may very
well provide a vital bridge for children so they can transition from the
universals to the non-universals.

---Mark
[hidden email]
http://tekkie.wordpress.com

Re: the non universals

Bill Kerr
hi mark,

> Physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson made a very good argument against entertaining ID in science classes. He said the danger of bringing in the idea that an intelligent designer created what we see in our world is it precludes discovery ...

That is a powerful argument, I agree. What I'm saying is that the whole ID debate could be used to make that point, to elaborate on what science is ... and that it would be better to have that debate in science class rather than arbitrarily ban such a discussion. I agree that there ought to be limits, that ID could not be made a permanent part of science class discussion. Just that it's better to be flexible than dogmatic about these matters.

A lot of what you are saying makes me think of this focus question:

What do enlightened minorities do? In this case those who understand the importance of but the overall socially marginalised position of the non universals?

One such response is the development of etoys and the whole OLPC project. This illustrates that enlightened minorities can often do quite a lot. One thing about projects like the OLPC is that they always attract a lot of support and new people step forward to help out.

Another different type of example is the Sokal hoax against post modernism, a parody of the political correctness you mention. Sometimes these things seem all pervasive but a creative / imaginative intervention can turn things around.

I think there is a rich history and analysis of enlightened minority positions making inroads into mainstream unenlightened positions. Although, often it goes the other way, it's an ongoing struggle. It can be frustrating but I see grounds for optimism. One thing we can do and which you do on your blog is to study and promote some of this history, eg. your blog about 'great moments in modern computer history'
http://tekkie.wordpress.com/2006/08/22/great-moments-in-modern-computer-history/

cheers,

From: "Bill Kerr" <[hidden email]>