three button mice on windows and macs

driverwriter
Hi All,

I am pretty new to Squeak. I just wrote a minimal parser of some
configuration files and started to feel comfortable in the environment.

Now since a few years I mostly use macs but at my new job I will have
to work with Windows again. So I loved that fact that I can open my
Squeak image on OSX and XP and just use the tools that I create in
squeak on both systems.

On both systems I have three button mice. Because the scroll wheel
(middle) button is rather hard to press I am using it to get the
halos, with the right mouse button used for the context menu. Now I
found the general preference to set this up, but the behavior is
inverse on windows than on macs. So when switching platforms I always
have to change the preference.

Did I overlook another setting or a configuration file that would fix
this? Or in which class (or possibly where in the VM code) would be a
good place to fix this?

Best regards,
Rainer Keller

Re: three button mice on windows and macs

Bakki Kudva
Hi Rainer,

On my MacBookPro (no mouse) I use option-click to get middle button
funtions. Could you not option-left-click on the mouse and get the
same?

-bakki

On 8/31/06, Rainer Keller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am pretty new to Squeak. I just wrote a minimal parser of some
> configuration files and started to feel comfortable in the environment.
>
> Now since a few years I mostly use macs but at my new job I will have
> to work with Windows again. So I loved that fact that I can open my
> Squeak image on OSX and XP and just use the tools that I create in
> squeak on both systems.
>
> On both systems I have three button mice. Because the scroll wheel
> (middle) button is rather hard to press I am using it to get the
> halos, with the right mouse button used for the context menu. Now I
> found the general preference to set this up, but the behavior is
> inverse on windows than on macs. So when switching platforms I always
> have to change the preference.
>
> Did I overlook another setting or a configuration file that would fix
> this? Or in which class (or possibly where in the VM code) would be a
> good place to fix this?
>
> Best regards,
> Rainer Keller

Re: three button mice on windows and macs

driverwriter
Hi Bakki,

Oh, I am able to get all three mouse buttons. It is just that middle
and right button are swapped when I use the same image once on the PC
and once on the Mac. And I can even change that if I go to
preferences every time I switch. I just want to find out how I can
avoid that inconvenience :) Basically the default mapping on windows
and mac to the buttons of a 3-button mouse seems to be different, at
least with the mice that I have. Can anyone confirm that with his
mice perhaps or give me pointers where to fix this?

- Rainer

On Aug 31, 2006, at 5:40 PM, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> On my MacBookPro (no mouse) I use option-click to get middle button
> funtions. Could you not option-left-click on the mouse and get the
> same?
>
> -bakki
>
> On 8/31/06, Rainer Keller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am pretty new to Squeak. I just wrote a minimal parser of some
>> configuration files and started to feel comfortable in the
>> environment.
>>
>> Now since a few years I mostly use macs but at my new job I will have
>> to work with Windows again. So I loved that fact that I can open my
>> Squeak image on OSX and XP and just use the tools that I create in
>> squeak on both systems.
>>
>> On both systems I have three button mice. Because the scroll wheel
>> (middle) button is rather hard to press I am using it to get the
>> halos, with the right mouse button used for the context menu. Now I
>> found the general preference to set this up, but the behavior is
>> inverse on windows than on macs. So when switching platforms I always
>> have to change the preference.
>>
>> Did I overlook another setting or a configuration file that would fix
>> this? Or in which class (or possibly where in the VM code) would be a
>> good place to fix this?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Rainer Keller

Re: three button mice on windows and macs

Ned Konz
Rainer Keller wrote:

> Oh, I am able to get all three mouse buttons. It is just that middle and
> right button are swapped when I use the same image once on the PC and
> once on the Mac. And I can even change that if I go to preferences every
> time I switch. I just want to find out how I can avoid that
> inconvenience :) Basically the default mapping on windows and mac to the
> buttons of a 3-button mouse seems to be different, at least with the
> mice that I have. Can anyone confirm that with his mice perhaps or give
> me pointers where to fix this?

I was similarly annoyed by this some time ago and created a Preference
called "swap mouse buttons" or something like that. This will swap the
middle and right button.

Enjoy,
--
Ned Konz
[hidden email]

Re: three button mice on windows and macs

Bert Freudenberg
Ned Konz schrieb:

> Rainer Keller wrote:
>
>> Oh, I am able to get all three mouse buttons. It is just that middle
>> and right button are swapped when I use the same image once on the PC
>> and once on the Mac. And I can even change that if I go to preferences
>> every time I switch. I just want to find out how I can avoid that
>> inconvenience :) Basically the default mapping on windows and mac to
>> the buttons of a 3-button mouse seems to be different, at least with
>> the mice that I have. Can anyone confirm that with his mice perhaps or
>> give me pointers where to fix this?
>
> I was similarly annoyed by this some time ago and created a Preference
> called "swap mouse buttons" or something like that. This will swap the
> middle and right button.

To make Mac and Windows VMs behave the same, enable "3 button mouse" in
the Windows VM's F2 menu.

This enables the historic mouse button assignment (left-middle-right,
red-yellow-blue, primary-secondary-tertiary, item-context-meta,
select-menu-halo) which predates both Mac and Windows.

Because most Windows hackers expect the menu to appear on the right
mouse button, by default yellow and blue buttons are swapped in the VM.

[OT] To make the confusion perfect for VM hackers, Microsoft numbers the
buttons 1-3-2 because originally it supported only two buttons (1-2) so
the third button was inserted between the first and the second. In
contrast, most workstations had at least three buttons from the start.
The Mac used to have only one, but can deal with three or more fine
nowadays. It uses several conflicting mappings of mouse buttons to
button+modifier key assignments, which makes matters yet worse.

- Bert -