to help spotting fixes on mantis

Stéphane Ducasse-3
Hi all

could we take the convention that for the mantis entry on mantis that
contain a fix we would add Fix in the title.
this way we can spot them faster in an rssfeed reader.

Tx

Re: to help spotting fixes on mantis

Nicolas Cellier-3
Le Samedi 06 Mai 2006 21:08, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> could we take the convention that for the mantis entry on mantis that
> contain a fix we would add Fix in the title.
> this way we can spot them faster in an rssfeed reader.
>
> Tx
>
> Stef

Sorry, just published http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3564 with a fix, but
whithout a FIX prefix.

Since we do not always have a fix at time we mantis, would it be possible for
you to detect the [FIX] prefix not only in the summary but also in each and
every note attached ?

Or would it be possible for reporters to modify the summary afterwards, or
simply to click a check box indicating whether fixed or not ?

The simpler for you, the better.

Nicolas

Re: to help spotting fixes on mantis

stéphane ducasse-2
I do not know.
The only thing I know is that I get lost in the mantis crappy
interface and process it enforces.
So I use a rss reader to get an idea of what is happening.

Stef
On 6 mai 06, at 22:43, nicolas cellier wrote:

> Le Samedi 06 Mai 2006 21:08, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Hi all
>>
>> could we take the convention that for the mantis entry on mantis that
>> contain a fix we would add Fix in the title.
>> this way we can spot them faster in an rssfeed reader.
>>
>> Tx
>>
>> Stef
>
> Sorry, just published http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3564 with a
> fix, but
> whithout a FIX prefix.
>
> Since we do not always have a fix at time we mantis, would it be
> possible for
> you to detect the [FIX] prefix not only in the summary but also in
> each and
> every note attached ?
>
> Or would it be possible for reporters to modify the summary
> afterwards, or
> simply to click a check box indicating whether fixed or not ?
>
> The simpler for you, the better.
>
> Nicolas

Re: to help spotting fixes on mantis

Michael Rueger-6
stéphane ducasse wrote:

>>> could we take the convention that for the mantis entry on mantis that
>>> contain a fix we would add Fix in the title.
>>> this way we can spot them faster in an rssfeed reader.

Well, we could use the process as intended:
if you attach a fix, mark the issue resolved and the resolution field to
fixed. If the fix is in the stream, the issue should be closed.
If the fix is no good, you can always reopen the issue.

I just added a filter "fixes" that filters for exactly the above.

Michael

Re: to help spotting fixes on mantis

Serge Stinckwich-4
Michael Rueger a écrit :

> Well, we could use the process as intended:
> if you attach a fix, mark the issue resolved and the resolution field to
> fixed. If the fix is in the stream, the issue should be closed.
> If the fix is no good, you can always reopen the issue.

The problem is everyone could post a fix, but not everyone could mark
the issue as resolved.

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

Re[2]: to help spotting fixes on mantis

Herbert König
Hello Serge, Michael,

MR>> Well, we could use the process as intended:
MR>> if you attach a fix, mark the issue resolved and the resolution field to
MR>> fixed. If the fix is in the stream, the issue should be closed.
MR>> If the fix is no good, you can always reopen the issue.

SS> The problem is everyone could post a fix, but not everyone could mark
SS> the issue as resolved.

that would mean only people with deep knowledge can post fixes.

I don't assume to know every use of the class I fix, so I can't think
of every side effect my fix might have for other people.

IMHO a fix should be announced here so interested parties can look at
it.

The model you propose (Mantis was intended for) is fine for a small
team of developers not for a community.

"Reopening the issue as the fix was no good" is not what makes people
contribute fixes. Sorry Michael for turning your words but I think
that's how it will be understood.

It's closer to the "If you want it done right you have to do it
yourself" approach than to a community approach.

Regards

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]