to mailmail list administrators

Brad Fuller-4
This is to mailmail list admins, or anyone that can help.

I'm getting spam from [hidden email], which I am
the admin. I can't remember how I configured mailman to forward me
spam (I guess it's from non-members). I'd like to stop this and
discard the spam, but I believe we talked about this before and there
is no easy way.

Unfortunately, I'm now rcving spam from:

as well.

and I might have been rcving spam from other lists. Any
recommendations on how to discard spam at mailman? Or why I would be
getting mail from other lists as owner?

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: to mailmail list administrators

Brad Fuller-4
HA! I just got spam from:
[hidden email]

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: to mailmail list administrators

Tapple Gao
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 08:04:33AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:

> This is to mailmail list admins, or anyone that can help.
>
> I'm getting spam from [hidden email], which I am
> the admin. I can't remember how I configured mailman to forward me
> spam (I guess it's from non-members). I'd like to stop this and
> discard the spam, but I believe we talked about this before and there
> is no easy way.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm now rcving spam from:
>
>   [hidden email]
>   [hidden email]
>
> as well.
>
> and I might have been rcving spam from other lists. Any
> recommendations on how to discard spam at mailman? Or why I would be
> getting mail from other lists as owner?

You should get bounce notifications if you are the list owner or
a moderator, and it is your responsibility to sort out the
problems from the spam. This doesn't take much time if done
right. I own two mailing lists, here's how I do it:

- All mail to *-[hidden email] goes to a
  squeak.listadmin folder
- I check this folder about once every two weeks
- I scan through the 4000 or so emails that piled up, seeking
  out valid requests. This takes about 30 mins. Usually, I don't
  find any
- I then go to the mailman moderator page and delete all queued
  messages, except for the valid ones I found.

All in all, only takes about an hour every two weeks.

I may set up spamassassain so that bounces will be spam-rated
and I can scan even faster, but I havn't done this yet

Re: to mailmail list administrators

John Thornborrow
Quite often spam spoofs the sender/reply-to headers, so it's not likely
you are actually getting spam from those addresses, just someone's
infected machine that has those addresses in the address book maybe.

Brad Fuller wrote:

> This is to mailmail list admins, or anyone that can help.
>
> I'm getting spam from [hidden email], which I am
> the admin. I can't remember how I configured mailman to forward me
> spam (I guess it's from non-members). I'd like to stop this and
> discard the spam, but I believe we talked about this before and there
> is no easy way.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm now rcving spam from:
>
>   [hidden email]
>   [hidden email]
>
> as well.
>
> and I might have been rcving spam from other lists. Any
> recommendations on how to discard spam at mailman? Or why I would be
> getting mail from other lists as owner?

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

On Feb 20, 2008 8:34 AM, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 08:04:33AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > This is to mailmail list admins, or anyone that can help.
> >
> > I'm getting spam from [hidden email], which I am
> > the admin. I can't remember how I configured mailman to forward me
> > spam (I guess it's from non-members). I'd like to stop this and
> > discard the spam, but I believe we talked about this before and there
> > is no easy way.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm now rcving spam from:
> >
> >   [hidden email]
> >   [hidden email]
> >
> > as well.
> >
> > and I might have been rcving spam from other lists. Any
> > recommendations on how to discard spam at mailman? Or why I would be
> > getting mail from other lists as owner?
>
> You should get bounce notifications if you are the list owner or
> a moderator, and it is your responsibility to sort out the
> problems from the spam. This doesn't take much time if done
> right. I own two mailing lists, here's how I do it:
>
> - All mail to *-[hidden email] goes to a
>   squeak.listadmin folder
> - I check this folder about once every two weeks
> - I scan through the 4000 or so emails that piled up, seeking
>   out valid requests. This takes about 30 mins. Usually, I don't
>   find any
> - I then go to the mailman moderator page and delete all queued
>   messages, except for the valid ones I found.

Right, I've always reviewed the email that is forwarded to me as admin.
I don't _think_ I'm referring to bounce messages (to clarify: messages
that have been returned to mailman from a member), unless the spammer
finagles mailman to send me the msg by spoofing the sender.

What folder are you speaking of when you say:
"All mail to *-[hidden email] goes to a
squeak.listadmin folder)"

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:00:33AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:

> > You should get bounce notifications if you are the list owner or
> > a moderator, and it is your responsibility to sort out the
> > problems from the spam. This doesn't take much time if done
> > right. I own two mailing lists, here's how I do it:
> >
> > - All mail to *-[hidden email] goes to a
> >   squeak.listadmin folder
> > - I check this folder about once every two weeks
> > - I scan through the 4000 or so emails that piled up, seeking
> >   out valid requests. This takes about 30 mins. Usually, I don't
> >   find any
> > - I then go to the mailman moderator page and delete all queued
> >   messages, except for the valid ones I found.
> >

> Right, I've always reviewed the email that is forwarded to me as admin.
> I don't _think_ I'm referring to bounce messages (to clarify: messages
> that have been returned to mailman from a member), unless the spammer
> finagles mailman to send me the msg by spoofing the sender.

I meant bounce in that "an unsubscribed person emails the list,
and mailman bounces it to you, the list owner"

> What folder are you speaking of when you say:
> "All mail to *-[hidden email] goes to a
> squeak.listadmin folder)"

a folder named squeak.listadmin in my mail client (mutt
specifically)