todo flag in SmalltalkImage initializeStartupList

todo flag in SmalltalkImage initializeStartupList

K K Subbu
Hi,

I came across a flag and comment in initializeStartupList:
-----
        self flag: #'revisit in Squeak 5.3'.
                CrLfFileStream "Remove this in Squeak 5.3"

-----
These lines were introduced around 2015. CrLfFileStream doesn't exist
anymore in 6.0. Should this line be removed?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: todo flag in SmalltalkImage initializeStartupList

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:04:43PM +0530, K K Subbu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I came across a flag and comment in initializeStartupList:
> -----
> self flag: #'revisit in Squeak 5.3'.
> CrLfFileStream "Remove this in Squeak 5.3"
>
> -----
> These lines were introduced around 2015. CrLfFileStream doesn't exist
> anymore in 6.0. Should this line be removed?

For sure the CrLfFileStream reference can be removed, and I guess
the entire method could use a good review. We have recently had some
discussion (prompted by the  http://www.squeaksource.com/DoItFirst/
discussion) of changing the ordering of classes in the starup list.

Dave

On 24/06/20 7:10 pm, David T. Lewis wrote:
> For sure the CrLfFileStream reference can be removed, and I guess the
> entire method could use a good review. We have recently had some
> discussion (prompted by thehttp://www.squeaksource.com/DoItFirst/
> discussion) of changing the ordering of classes in the startup list.

You mean like the attached patch?

Perhaps the classes themselves could respond to dependencies. For example:

Class>>startAfterClasses
        ^#()

StartupList sort: [:a :b | b startAfterClasses includes: a ]

Regards .. Subbu

initstart.1.cs (789 bytes) Download Attachment