trunk IDE has become sluggish

Chris Muller-4
Has anyone noticed, with latest trunk updates, a sluggishness?

I use smart-splitters, so I notice it very broadly -- splitters are
really creeping while CPU jumps to 100%, compared to a Squeak 5.0
release image..

Possibly the new Event filtering mechanism?

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

timrowledge

> On 08-06-2016, at 1:23 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Has anyone noticed, with latest trunk updates, a sluggishness?
>
> I use smart-splitters, so I notice it very broadly -- splitters are
> really creeping while CPU jumps to 100%, compared to a Squeak 5.0
> release image..

Hmm, I’ve just tried out the splitters on  a Pi with a 16026 update image and it was ok, then updating to 16033 definitely *seems* to be slower about moving them. I couldn’t call it ‘creeping’ though, even on the Pi.

As an aside, it really is a treat to have a Pi3/CogVM system. Everyone should...

tim
Multitasking:  Screwing up several things at once...

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 03:39:46PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> As an aside, it really is a treat to have a Pi3/CogVM system. Everyone should...

OK, I'm ready. Can you point me to what to buy to get Squeak up and
running fast on Pi. I don't want cheap, just easy. Assume that all I
know is my credit card number.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

Kjell Godo
Yes i want it
and i don't know my credit card number

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 03:39:46PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> As an aside, it really is a treat to have a Pi3/CogVM system. Everyone should...

OK, I'm ready. Can you point me to what to buy to get Squeak up and
running fast on Pi. I don't want cheap, just easy. Assume that all I
know is my credit card number.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

Kjell Godo
but i think i can get close enough
for practical purposes

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016, David T. Lewis <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;lewis@mail.msen.com&#39;);" target="_blank">lewis@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 03:39:46PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> As an aside, it really is a treat to have a Pi3/CogVM system. Everyone should...

OK, I'm ready. Can you point me to what to buy to get Squeak up and
running fast on Pi. I don't want cheap, just easy. Assume that all I
know is my credit card number.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

Ben Coman
Adafruit are reputable. You need only these...

RASPBERRY PI 3 MODEL B STARTER PACK - INCLUDES A RASPBERRY PI
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3058

Computer Add-On Pack for Raspberry Pi
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2129

and optional...

Raspberry Pi Sense HAT - For the Pi 3 / 2 / B+ / A+
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2738

Pi-EzConnect Terminal Block Breakout HAT
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2711

(Disclaimer, I haven't used those two, but they would be the next
thing I buy, and are advertised Pi3 compatible [not every accessory
is] )

And...
https://learn.adafruit.com/category/raspberry-pi

cheers -ben

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:08:47AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:
> Adafruit are reputable. You need only these...

Thank you Ben, that is what I was looking for. Just placed my order.

Nice to see that it is a company run by a woman engineer, that sealed
the deal for me :-)

Dave

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

timrowledge

> On 08-06-2016, at 8:08 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adafruit are reputable. You need only these...
>
> RASPBERRY PI 3 MODEL B STARTER PACK - INCLUDES A RASPBERRY PI
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/3058

Not a bad collection of bits. I prefer an Anker 6 port 60W usb power supply but then I typically have 3-5 Pis running at once and that handles all of them.

> Computer Add-On Pack for Raspberry Pi
> https://www.adafruit.com/products/2129

Not essential unless you have no sub mouse/keyboard spares lying around. I have all my Pis set up to run xrdp so that I can vnc into them instead of needing a bunch of displays. You *do* need a kbd/mouse/display for an initial setup though

> and optional...
>
> Raspberry Pi Sense HAT - For the Pi 3 / 2 / B+ / A+
> https://www.adafruit.com/products/2738

Wonderful toy. Two up on the ISS right now.

> Pi-EzConnect Terminal Block Breakout HAT
> https://www.adafruit.com/products/2711

Neat; hadn’t seen that before - but the starter kit includes a breadboard anyway. I have a really nice Wombat breadboard.
http://www.gooligum.com.au/wombat-proto
http://www.microcenter.com/product/454348/wombat_prototyping_board_for_raspberry_pi

I’ll post my initial setup script tomorrow sometime.

tim
fallacio (n): speaking logical fallacies

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

marcel.taeumel
Hi Chris,

Smart Splitters are as fast as always. :) Do you experience that behavior in a fresh trunk VM or your personal working image?

Since SmartSplitters use Morphic stepping, there is no connection to event filters.

Best,
Marcel

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

marcel.taeumel
Hi Chris,

since you also noticed a strange behavior with my mouse-wheel change set [1], I suppose your working image has some individual hick-ups, which are unrelated to the trunk. Try setting up a new one.

Best,
Marcel

[1] http://forum.world.st/Mouse-Wheel-Events-Point-and-scroll-by-wheel-tp4899428p4899431.html

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

timrowledge

> On 08-06-2016, at 9:30 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ll post my initial setup script tomorrow sometime.

Try out this as a general setup -
using ‘raspi-config’, set your locale/tz/etc, as well as setting a host name, enabling ssh and i2c and SPI interfaces. And the camera if you bought one. Which you should, since taking selfies with Scratch is cool.

basic packages I find useful -
`sudo apt-get install netatalk libnss-mdns xrdp i2c-tools`

development tools -
`sudo apt-get install  libX11-dev uuid-dev libcairo2-dev libpango1.0-dev autoconf libasound2-dev libssl-dev`

save some space -
`sudo apt-get remove wolfram-engine`
- to get rid of wolfram, 450Mb and a broken init script issue

I use NFS to connect to my iMac;  it seems faster and more usable than samba for my usage. IF you want to do that just let me know and I can send my nfs setup recipe.

Oh, yes, curses. As in stupid X11 default cursor is stupid.
edit .xsessionrc (creating if required) with `nano .xsessionrc`
add
"xsetroot  -cursor_name left_ptr&"

`chmod a+x .xsessionrc`
reboot to get proper cursor in X instead of a big ugly X

Getting a working Squeak is as simple as downloading the all-in-one, though the cog vm in /usr/lib/squeak is possibly newer.

I use microsoft’s remote desktop client on my iMac to save having a separate display, although I do have one Pi with an official 7” touchscreen on one side and three Pi-TopCEED machine arriving soon for classes.

tim
Great leaders inspire by example. When that's not an option, brute intimidation works pretty well.

Re: trunk IDE has become sluggish

Chris Muller-3
I figured out SS seem slow on large lists (even in Squeak 5.0), which
is strange since I thought I made it only look at the *visible*
portions..  I'll have to investigate that later.  So probably
everything is fine, I'll pay attention in case it happens on a short
list.  Thanks.