#turnOffPowerManagement preference

Frank Shearar-3
Is this still of any relevance? The description says "May offer higer
performance at the expense of the life of your Battery (macintosh only
in 3.VM)".

We don't have 3.x VMs anymore, and I rather doubt that a 4.5-class
image could run on such a VM anymore?

If it is possible to run a 4.5-class image on a 3.x Mac VM, I'm happy
to turn the preference into a Pragma style one, on PowerManagement.
But if not, we should remove/deprecate the preference.

frank

Re: #turnOffPowerManagement preference

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:38:40PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Is this still of any relevance? The description says "May offer higer
> performance at the expense of the life of your Battery (macintosh only
> in 3.VM)".
>
> We don't have 3.x VMs anymore, and I rather doubt that a 4.5-class
> image could run on such a VM anymore?
>
> If it is possible to run a 4.5-class image on a 3.x Mac VM, I'm happy
> to turn the preference into a Pragma style one, on PowerManagement.
> But if not, we should remove/deprecate the preference.

It is unlikely that this preference has any relevance today. It should
probably be removed.

I do not recall exactly what this preference did (maybe Tim will know),
but I believe that it may have been used to control how aggressively the
image polled for events from the VM. Nowadays we avoid polling for events
as much as possible because the VMs can deliver events without polling,
so I would expect a preference like this to be of no interest any more.

Dave

Re: #turnOffPowerManagement preference

timrowledge

On 31-12-2013, at 4:38 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this still of any relevance? The description says "May offer higer
> performance at the expense of the life of your Battery (macintosh only
> in 3.VM)".
>
> We don't have 3.x VMs anymore, and I rather doubt that a 4.5-class
> image could run on such a VM anymore?
>
> If it is possible to run a 4.5-class image on a 3.x Mac VM, I'm happy
> to turn the preference into a Pragma style one, on PowerManagement.
> But if not, we should remove/deprecate the preference.

I really do think this is a move-to-trashcan case...

tim
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.

Re: #turnOffPowerManagement preference

Chris Muller-3
Looks like it ends up calling a prim, so maybe something in the VM
needs removed too..

On 31 December 2013 20:38, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks like it ends up calling a prim, so maybe something in the VM
> needs removed too..

Along with PowerManagement in its entirety, which exists only to call
that prim when appropriate.

frank