unix start scripts, pwd and error

Markus Lampert

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest VM (Squeak-3.11.3.2135-linux_i386.tar.gz) from the website and installed it.

I remember having a discussion a few months ago about certain unix setup issues (to do with symbolic links) and 'error' as a utility.

I can't remember the solution for error (which isn't available under Linux (debian)), but I remember that instead of just calling 'pwd' to determine the 'bindir' we changed it to 'pwd -P', which is portable to all UNIX variants (at the time) and also deals correctly with symbolic links. These changes don't seem to have made it into the current vm download.

Did those changes not make it in (yet) or am I looking in the wrong places?

Have fun,
Markus

Re: unix start scripts, pwd and error

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 06:16:10PM -0700, Markus Lampert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded the latest VM (Squeak-3.11.3.2135-linux_i386.tar.gz) from the website and installed it.
>
> I remember having a discussion a few months ago about certain unix setup issues (to do with symbolic links) and 'error' as a utility.
>
> I can't remember the solution for error (which isn't available under Linux (debian)), but I remember that instead of just calling 'pwd' to determine the 'bindir' we changed it to 'pwd -P', which is portable to all UNIX variants (at the time) and also deals correctly with symbolic links. These changes don't seem to have made it into the current vm download.
>
> Did those changes not make it in (yet) or am I looking in the wrong places?

Markus,

Can you provide a link to the earlier discussion, or to a Mantis report?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: unix start scripts, pwd and error

Markus Lampert

Hi Dave,

Turns out that the whole discussion was  about the exact same version of the VM, so I guess it might still be released with a new version of the VM. The previous thread happened on squeak-dev:

http://n4.nabble.com/squeak-dev-3-11-3-2135-for-Unix-tt86054.html

Have fun,
Markus

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 06:16:10PM -0700, Markus Lampert

> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded the latest
> VM (Squeak-3.11.3.2135-linux_i386.tar.gz) from the website and installed
> it.
>
> I remember having a discussion a few months ago about
> certain unix setup issues (to do with symbolic links) and 'error' as a
> utility.
>
> I can't remember the solution for error (which isn't
> available under Linux (debian)), but I remember that instead of just calling
> 'pwd' to determine the 'bindir' we changed it to 'pwd -P', which is portable to
> all UNIX variants (at the time) and also deals correctly with symbolic links.
> These changes don't seem to have made it into the current vm download.
>

> Did those changes not make it in (yet) or am I looking in the wrong
> places?

Markus,

Can you provide a link to the earlier discussion,
> or to a Mantis report?

Thanks,
Dave

http://www.flickr.com/gift/

Re: unix start scripts, pwd and error

Randal L. Schwartz

Markus> I can't remember the solution for error (which isn't available under
Markus> Linux (debian)), but I remember that instead of just calling 'pwd' to
Markus> determine the 'bindir' we changed it to 'pwd -P', which is portable to
Markus> all UNIX variants (at the time) and also deals correctly with symbolic
Markus> links. These changes don't seem to have made it into the current vm
Markus> download.

pwd -P is a relatively modern invention.  I don't have a counter
example, but is there any reason you demand it?

What's wrong with just pwd?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: unix start scripts, pwd and error

Ian Piumarta

On Mar 24, 2010, at 9:47 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Markus> I remember that instead of just calling 'pwd' to
> Markus> determine the 'bindir' we changed it to 'pwd -P', which is
> portable to
> Markus> all UNIX variants (at the time)

> pwd -P is a relatively modern invention.

IIRC pwd on Solaris does not recognise this option.

Cheers,
Ian