use the vm -memory in an image ?

jannik laval

Hi,

In some case I need to run my VM with more memory.
For now, I use the parameter "-memory" when I run the VM.

Is it possible to define this value in the image ?
Then I can use it in a script.

Cheers

---
Jannik Laval
---

Re: use the vm -memory in an image ?

johnmci

The -memory parm is used by unix (or variations of) VM to set the upper memory size. For the OS-X carbon/cocoa VM it's in info.plist but can be overridden on cmd line.

This has to be set BEFORE the VM runs since it determines how much memory to allocate either in a malloc block or via the operating system Virtual Memory subsystem.

The value of 500/512 or so was set in the past before the VM was 32bit clean. People attempting to use 1GB sometimes would find their VM
would crash as the image spanned the 2.GB memory boundary.  However this problem was fixed a year or so ago.

So you can either supply a -memory, alter info.plist if possible, or build your own VM and change the default value.

On 2010-01-15, at 1:52 AM, Laval Jannik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In some case I need to run my VM with more memory.
> For now, I use the parameter "-memory" when I run the VM.
>
> Is it possible to define this value in the image ?
> Then I can use it in a script.
>
> Cheers
>

> ---
> Jannik Laval
> ---

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882