variable assignments button/hotkeys (again)

variable assignments button/hotkeys (again)

Ralph Boland
Not long ago I posted about the variable assignments button.
It generated an interesting discussion but I don't think in the end it will
result in any change to the operation of Squeak.

Let me make a slight variation on this discussion.

In the Inspector/Debugger the instance variables of  the class being
inspected are displayed in a window and any one of these variables can
be selected/inspected.
Then using a menu or hotkey one can invoke:
         StringHolder>>browseVariableReferences
              or
         StringHolder>>browseVariableAssignments

These commands bring up a selection window where one chooses one of the instance
variables of the class of the selected variable.  Then  one of the
methods above is invoked
on the instance variable you chose.

This was counterintuitive to me so I added two new menu-items/hotkeys:

        ('selected variable references... (u)'
browseSelectedVariableReferences)
                     and
        ('selected variable assignments... (A)'
browseSelectedVariableAssignments)

These commands act like the cooresponding previous commands except that,
instead of bringing up a selection window for the user to select the
variable to use,
the selected variable of the class being inspected is used (and the class being
inspected is used instead of the class of the selected variable).

This feature is more intuitive to me and I have found it quite useful.

I have attached the necessary code as .st files in case anybody would like to
try it out.  These are filed out from Linux but I assume they load as
is to Windows or Mac.
Feel free to make any changes you feel necessary and if it gets added to the
next version of Squeak, great!

If you try it out let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading

Ralph Boland  [hidden email]

InspectorRalphBoland.st (3K) Download Attachment
Inspector-*RalphBolandEnvironment.st (914 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: variable assignments button/hotkeys (again)

Christoph Thiede

Hi Ralph,

nice idea. I'm currently refactoring all the Inspectors (I hope we can review them soon, and I wish to commit them into the inbox ASAP), and I already implemented the same idea. Coming soon :-)

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: variable assignments button/hotkeys (again)

Karl Ramberg

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 4:42 PM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ralph,

nice idea. I'm currently refactoring all the Inspectors

Please consider bringing back functionality for Inspectors and Explorers to show class side variables then :-)

Best,
Karl

(I hope we can review them soon, and I wish to commit them into the inbox ASAP), and I already implemented the same idea. Coming soon :-)

Best,

Christoph

Re: variable assignments button/hotkeys (again)

Christoph Thiede

Please consider bringing back functionality for Inspectors and Explorers to show class side variables then :-)

Oh, this was possible in the past? I never saw that :D What I already implemented is a ClassInspector for this purpose. Not sure if we want all class variables also when inspecting instance, I can imagine this could be confusing.

Best,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: variable assignments button/hotkeys (again)

Karl Ramberg
Class variables used to be visible in the inspector as you show in the screenshot.
They are capitalized so you see they are special.
I can't remember exactly when it got removed, it was a few years ago.
I also can't remember the reason they got removed.
But I miss having them easy accessible, because hidden state is really hard to debug.
And hiding the class variables just make it even harder.

Best,
Karl

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 5:18 PM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please consider bringing back functionality for Inspectors and Explorers to show class side variables then :-)

Oh, this was possible in the past? I never saw that :D What I already implemented is a ClassInspector for this purpose. Not sure if we want all class variables also when inspecting instance, I can imagine this could be confusing.

Best,
Christoph

Re: variable assignments button/hotkeys (again)

Karl Ramberg
Hm,
I looked a little into this. I can't find this in older images. Maybe I miss remember how it used to work...

Best,
Karl

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 5:31 PM karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David T. Lewis
I can't find it in older images either. But it does seem like a good idea,
and I like the screen shot that Christoph showed.

Dave