virtual chemistry

chsmith
I would like to create a virtual chemistry set.  Is this possible in squeak?

RE: virtual chemistry

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Chuck,

Boy did you come to the right place.

The short answer to your questions is yes.  The long answer is how difficult
it will be depends on what exactly you want to do.

It is possible to add in a lot of information about molecules and atoms.
You could put all the rules that are known about chemistry and physics and
create a world that actually predicts chemical reactions.  There is a lot of
work in proteomics that model how proteins fold, based on what we know.

Smalltalk can handle your project at many different levels it all depends on
how much modeling you want to do.

If on the other hand you are looking for the ability to mix chemicals and
have them change color and foam up depending on some simple characteristics
or combinations that you already know, that is very possible too.

The project sounds fun.

Can you share what you would like your chemistry set to do?

Welcome to the list Chuck,

Ron Teitelbaum

RE: virtual chemistry

Ron Teitelbaum
That is too cool!  The picture looks really neat.

Nice work Edgar!  How did you use the program?

I wonder if that's what Chuck had in mind?

Ron

Re: virtual chemistry

Edgar J. De Cleene
El 1/31/07 10:39 AM, "Ron Teitelbaum" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> That is too cool!  The picture looks really neat.
>
> Nice work Edgar!  How did you use the program?
>
> I wonder if that's what Chuck had in mind?
>
> Ron

Believe or not, was my first try on Squeak, few days after I could have my
hands on Mark Guzdial book and CD some years ago.

Looking from today, code sucks !!!

But works, I load into in development 3.10 (Now what Ralph teach me, you
could expect a better SqueakChem next time)

Works as you is in Analytical Chemistry lab ( I was a chemist in a recent
life)

You could press the button and one incognita solution was created for you
could "find" what cations have clicking the funnels in the right order.

You have a help as what I send with tree view of steps of reactives
necessary to reach some cation , what always is a leaf in the tree.

If you do all in correct order, the glass change with some spots of color
according to what Vogel said you must have. (What in a real lab not always
is how the book said :=)

I do and teach to do this to my students at this time and some of they
produce a very improved version...what sorry I don't have.

I have a pile now with 3.10, but if some have interest I could translate "as
is now" for English and add to remote image for people test .

I send a pict as this list have a limit , the compressed morph for this is
92 k

I could produce all picts and put somewhere .
Edgar

Picture 1.png (33K) Download Attachment