visual squeak... =P

Alan Grimes-2
[appologies, the auto complete function in my mail client sent to wrong
address...]

I have a bunch of visual basic code that's been dropped on me. -- for
controlling hydraulic presses for use in geology experiments...

So naturally, I'd like to play with a squeak analog... I have some
experience with back-end type stuff in Squeak such as the math library
used by Croquet... However, throwing a gui together seems to be a much
more daunting problem, While you can throw morphs on the screen to your
heart's content there isn't the kind of code generation system that QT,
Borland C++ builder, or MS Visual* has... I went to squeak.org and
naturally, 2/3rds of the links give me

" Bad Gateway

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server."

=(

Where can I find a good walkthrough for creating an application such as
the media player?

--
Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: visual squeak... =P

Derek O'Connell-2
The swiki has some tutorials and Noury's EasyMorphGUI is looking
promising. EToys is easy to work with if your requirements are not too
demanding. Even coding Morphs from scratch is not too difficult and
there are many examples to work from. How are you interfacing to the
hydraulics?

On 2/15/07, Alan Grimes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [appologies, the auto complete function in my mail client sent to wrong
> address...]
>
> I have a bunch of visual basic code that's been dropped on me. -- for
> controlling hydraulic presses for use in geology experiments...
>
> So naturally, I'd like to play with a squeak analog... I have some
> experience with back-end type stuff in Squeak such as the math library
> used by Croquet... However, throwing a gui together seems to be a much
> more daunting problem, While you can throw morphs on the screen to your
> heart's content there isn't the kind of code generation system that QT,
> Borland C++ builder, or MS Visual* has... I went to squeak.org and
> naturally, 2/3rds of the links give me
>
> " Bad Gateway
>
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server."
>
> =(
>
> Where can I find a good walkthrough for creating an application such as
> the media player?
>

> --
> Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: visual squeak... =P

Alan Grimes-2
Derek O'Connell wrote:
> The swiki has some tutorials and Noury's EasyMorphGUI is looking
> promising. EToys is easy to work with if your requirements are not too
> demanding. Even coding Morphs from scratch is not too difficult and
> there are many examples to work from. How are you interfacing to the
> hydraulics?

Serial port... -- the current code, as you would expect, is more than a
little stupid. =P

Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: visual squeak... =P

Derek O'Connell-2
And the VB GUI? Got a pic? IMO start with EToys for a first attempt,
maybe throw in Connectors if you want a visual representation of the
hydraulic circuit/system. You don't mention feedback for
control/monitoring so it's difficult to suggest any thing more. HTH.

On 2/15/07, Alan Grimes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Derek O'Connell wrote:
> > The swiki has some tutorials and Noury's EasyMorphGUI is looking
> > promising. EToys is easy to work with if your requirements are not too
> > demanding. Even coding Morphs from scratch is not too difficult and
> > there are many examples to work from. How are you interfacing to the
> > hydraulics?
>
> Serial port... -- the current code, as you would expect, is more than a
> little stupid. =P
>

> --
> Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: visual squeak... =P

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 2/15/07 11:49 AM, "Alan Grimes" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> [appologies, the auto complete function in my mail client sent to wrong
> address...]
>
> I have a bunch of visual basic code that's been dropped on me. -- for
> controlling hydraulic presses for use in geology experiments...
>
> So naturally, I'd like to play with a squeak analog... I have some
> experience with back-end type stuff in Squeak such as the math library
> used by Croquet... However, throwing a gui together seems to be a much
> more daunting problem, While you can throw morphs on the screen to your
> heart's content there isn't the kind of code generation system that QT,
> Borland C++ builder, or MS Visual* has... I went to squeak.org and
> naturally, 2/3rds of the links give me

If you have drawings or picts and some sketch for guide, I could do
something similar to LogicCircus, what was builded inspired by Fabrik.

See pict and could download at
ftp://[hidden email]/Public/SqueakLight/3.9Compat
ible/LogicCircus.3.sar
password: elpelotero

Fell free to email direct if you wish.

Edgar

Picture 1.png (59K) Download Attachment

Re: visual squeak... =P

Michael Davies-2
On 15/02/07, Alan Grimes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]

> Where can I find a good walkthrough for creating an application such as
> the media player?

Alan,

If you're looking for something very simple, there's a
heavily-annotated sample application I wrote to help me understand a
SystemWindow-based app. It's at a very basic level, but may be of
interest.

http://www.squeaksource.com/SampleImageViewer.html

Cheers,
Michael