-vm display=X11 -iconic causes clicks to register well *below* where the user clicked

-vm display=X11 -iconic causes clicks to register well *below* where the user clicked

Chris Muller-4
Today I noticed that in -iconic launched images, clicks register about
1cm below where I click, rendering the image very difficult to use.

To reproduce, take a trunk image, 1) load OSProcess, 2) maximize the
window, 3) save and exit the image.

Now, from Linux command line, relaunch the image as I do my background
worker images:

   squeak -vm display=X11 -iconic myImage.image &

It launches iconic, click the icon in the taskbar to open it.  Now
click anywhere on the desktop, and notice the events being triggered
well below the mouse pointer.  Both hand position and clicks, as
well...

 - Chris

PS -- Why I ever lauch "-iconic", I have several apps which divide up
a large task and launch background Squeak images to tackle, each, a
portion of the task.  When the background images launch, I don't want
them to pop up on top of what I'm working on, but still be there
(e.g., not headless) so I can see them come-and-go in the TaskBar or
in case there's a problem.

Re: -vm display=X11 -iconic causes clicks to register well *below* where the user clicked

marcel.taeumel
Chris Muller-4 wrote
[...]

Hi Chris,

what's the concept of an application being "iconic"? No windows borders? "Start minimized"?

Anyway, this looks like an event coordinate mapping problem in the X11-specific portion in the VM. So, this rather belongs to the "squeak-vm" list. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Re: -vm display=X11 -iconic causes clicks to register well *below* where the user clicked

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 05:05:23PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> Today I noticed that in -iconic launched images, clicks register about
> 1cm below where I click, rendering the image very difficult to use.
>
> To reproduce, take a trunk image, 1) load OSProcess, 2) maximize the
> window, 3) save and exit the image.
>
> Now, from Linux command line, relaunch the image as I do my background
> worker images:
>
>    squeak -vm display=X11 -iconic myImage.image &
>
> It launches iconic, click the icon in the taskbar to open it.  Now
> click anywhere on the desktop, and notice the events being triggered
> well below the mouse pointer.  Both hand position and clicks, as
> well...
>
>  - Chris
>
> PS -- Why I ever lauch "-iconic", I have several apps which divide up
> a large task and launch background Squeak images to tackle, each, a
> portion of the task.  When the background images launch, I don't want
> them to pop up on top of what I'm working on, but still be there
> (e.g., not headless) so I can see them come-and-go in the TaskBar or
> in case there's a problem.

Confirming. I see the same behavior with an interpreter VM and V3 image.

This looks like an X11 VM issue, possibly related to incorrectly including
the window decoration in the saved window size.

Dave

Re: -vm display=X11 -iconic causes clicks to register well *below* where the user clicked

Chris Muller-3
Glad to see your name Dave, I hope you're on the mend!

I noticed that unmaximizing, then re-maximizing seems to clear up the
mis-alignment.  However, I've been doing this for more than 10 years
and never noticed this offset before...  Anyway..

Marcel, yes, -iconic means to start it minimized.  It appears as a
button in the tint2 taskbar, so its easy to see the multi-processing
part of the system working during that time (buttons appearing and
disappearing) but without disturbing working in another window if I
want.

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 11:00:17AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Glad to see your name Dave, I hope you're on the mend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4p8RYoJ9DQ

:-)