[vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

12

[vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Adams, Charles

Anyone know why Subcanvas has been deprecated? I’m told it is still on the GUI palette. Will that go away, too? And yet, there remain subcanvas references and examples in the GUI development guide for 7.7??

I’m confused…

Charles Adams

Developer, ECP

1100 W Campbell Rd

Richardson, TX 75080

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Mark Plas

I think it's only the SubCanvas class itself that has been deprecated. The concept of a SubCanvas still remains.

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Adams, Charles

I see. Well, that’s good I guess.

I think it's only the SubCanvas class itself that has been deprecated. The concept of a SubCanvas still remains.

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Adams, Charles

[Directed at VW developers] But questions remain…

Will SubCanvas, the class, eventually go away? What will the palette icon refer to? Will it still be called SubCanvas? Does the concept as expressed in the development guide change somehow?

But the thing that confounds me most is the idea that somehow the whole world is a SubCanvas. (The whole world being CompositePart.) In what sense is a BorderDecorator a SubCanvas?

ControlWORKS makes copious use of SubCanvas. It is a central theme to the GUI. I suspect there will be little or no impact on existing code, although I’ve not actually seen VW 7.7.

I’m still trying to get my customer onto VW 7.4 from VW 2.5 (without a great deal of success) so things like this make me nervous.

I think it's only the SubCanvas class itself that has been deprecated. The concept of a SubCanvas still remains.

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Alan Knight-2
At 11:57 AM 2010-07-27, Adams, Charles wrote:

[Directed at VW developers] But questions remainÂ…

Will SubCanvas, the class, eventually go away? What will the palette icon refer to? Will it still be called SubCanvas? Does the concept as expressed in the development guide change somehow?

But the thing that confounds me most is the idea that somehow the whole world is a SubCanvas. (The whole world being CompositePart.) In what sense is a BorderDecorator a SubCanvas?

Well, it's not that the intention is that you use any subclass of CompositePart where you would have used subclass previously. It's that the class CompositePart can directly serve as a Subcanvas, because Subcanvasses really didn't add much in terms of state or behaviour to what their superclass did. It had one variable which was unused, and a handful of methods.

ControlWORKS makes copious use of SubCanvas. It is a central theme to the GUI. I suspect there will be little or no impact on existing code, although IÂ’ve not actually seen VW 7.7.

IÂ’m still trying to get my customer onto VW 7.4 from VW 2.5 (without a great deal of success) so things like this make me nervous.

I think it's only the SubCanvas class itself that has been deprecated. The concept of a SubCanvas still remains.

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Thor Raabe-2
Question still remains:   We had some minor enhancements to SubCanvas and our customers have large numbers of windowSpecs that refer to "SubCanvasSpec". So where do we put our enhancements:

a. Override SubCanvas and carry along/maintain SubCanvas and SubCanvasSpec even though Cincom may remove it from the image.
b. Create a new class and require our customers to modify all their windowSpecs
c. Cincom leaves deprecated SubCanvas in place and we can subclass/modify and use as before.

We are just trying to figure out how to proceed and find that we are lacking the info to make an educated decision ...

On 7/27/2010 12:31 PM, Alan Knight wrote:
[...]

Thor Raabe
Master Developer / PCG
Rudolph Technologies, Inc.

1100 West Campbell Road
Richardson, TX 75080

Ph.  469.624.4669

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

davidbuck
I've worked on two VisualWorks upgrades lately and the Subcanvas issue has affected both upgrades.  Here are the problems we have seen:

    - Arbor Help still uses the "client" instance variable in SubCanvas. This variable isn't present in CompositePart
    - Customer added a "client" accessor method to SubCanvas and called it to access the variable (which is no longer present or set)
    - Various methods explicitly tested for SubCanvas - i.e.,  (component isMemberOf: SubCanvas) ifTrue: ...
    - Customer subclasses of SubCanvas end up creating instances of CompositePart instead because the new for SubCanvas creates a CompositePart

For both upgrades, I made the same choice - keep the SubCanvas class and delete the "new" method.

David Buck

Thor Raabe wrote:
[...]

http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

  Thor Raabe
Master Developer / PCG
Rudolph Technologies, Inc.
1100 West Campbell Road
Richardson, TX 75080
Ph.  469.624.4669

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Steven Kelly

Alan Knight wrote:

Travis, who's probably best able to answer the technical questions, is out of commission with a failed hard drive right now.

Hah! I always knew Travis was too good to be human. I suggest you reward him for all his good work by fitting him with a top of the range SSD drive :-)

Steve

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Travis Griggs-3

On Jul 28, 2010, at 8:19 AM, Steven Kelly wrote:

Alan Knight wrote:
Travis, who's probably best able to answer the technical questions, is out of commission with a failed hard drive right now.

Hah! I always knew Travis was too good to be human. I suggest you reward him for all his good work by fitting him with a top of the range SSD drive :-)

Have no fear! He's back! With 4x the disk he used to have (now I can go nuts making vmware images). That said... did I miss a thread here somewhere?

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Thor Raabe-2
Travis,

Welcome back among the storage enabled. We were trying to figure out the status/future plans for SubCanvas and I understand you may be able to answer the following, previously posed question:

Question still remains:   We had some minor enhancements to SubCanvas and our customers have large numbers of windowSpecs that refer to "SubCanvasSpec". So where do we put our enhancements:

a. Override SubCanvas and carry along/maintain SubCanvas and SubCanvasSpec even though Cincom may remove it from the image.
b. Create a new class and require our customers to modify all their windowSpecs
c. Cincom leaves deprecated SubCanvas in place and we can subclass/modify and use as before.

We are just trying to figure out how to proceed and find that we are lacking the info to make an educated decision ...

It would also be interesting to understand what your plans are w.r.t. the UIBuilder for instance. Will there still be a SubCanvas button there, or will it be called CompositePart in the widget palette?

-Thor

Alan Knight wrote:
[...]

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
> a. Override SubCanvas and carry along/maintain SubCanvas and
> SubCanvasSpec even though Cincom may remove it from the image.
> b. Create a new class and require our customers to modify all their
> windowSpecs
> c. Cincom leaves deprecated SubCanvas in place and we can
> subclass/modify and use as before.

we have chosen option (a), because we added some extensions to SubCanvas
that utilize the client instVar for traversing subapplications.

On Jul 29, 2010, at 12:31 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

>> a. Override SubCanvas and carry along/maintain SubCanvas and
>> SubCanvasSpec even though Cincom may remove it from the image.
>> b. Create a new class and require our customers to modify all their
>> windowSpecs
>> c. Cincom leaves deprecated SubCanvas in place and we can
>> subclass/modify and use as before.
>
> we have chosen option (a), because we added some extensions to
> SubCanvas
> that utilize the client instVar for traversing subapplications.

Did you make some overrides so that the client was actually being set/
retained by the Builder?

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Am 29.07.2010 18:43, schrieb Travis Griggs:

> On Jul 29, 2010, at 12:31 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:
>
>  >> a. Override SubCanvas and carry along/maintain SubCanvas and
>  >> SubCanvasSpec even though Cincom may remove it from the image.
>  >> b. Create a new class and require our customers to modify all their
>  >> windowSpecs
>  >> c. Cincom leaves deprecated SubCanvas in place and we can
>  >> subclass/modify and use as before.
>  >
>  > we have chosen option (a), because we added some extensions to
>  > SubCanvas
>  > that utilize the client instVar for traversing subapplications.
>
> Did you make some overrides so that the client was actually being set/
> retained by the Builder?

requires three changes:

Subcanvas class>>new
   ^  super new

UILookPolic>>subCanvasClass
   ^SubCanvas

SubCanvas>>aisClient: anAppModel
   client := anAppModel.

On Jul 29, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

>>> we have chosen option (a), because we added some extensions to
>>> SubCanvas
>>> that utilize the client instVar for traversing subapplications.
>>
>> Did you make some overrides so that the client was actually being
>> set/
>> retained by the Builder?
>
> requires three changes:
>
> Subcanvas class>>new
>   ^  super new
>
> UILookPolic>>subCanvasClass
>   ^SubCanvas
>
> SubCanvas>>aisClient: anAppModel
>   client := anAppModel.

So you've added a setter for client (#aisClient:) and are taking care
somewhere else to get that sent. Could you do the same thing as you
have done by simply adding the one following method:

CompositePart>>aisClient: anAppModel
        self propertyAt: #aisClient put: anAppModel

I assume you actually access it as well, so you'd probably add a second

CompositePart>>aisClient
        ^self propertyAt: #aisClient

(note you could actually place this on VisualPart just as well, just
for generalizations sake)

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Adams, Charles
I have a better idea: why don't y'all just leave SubCanvas alone?

I have yet to hear a cogent argument for mucking with this class.

On Jul 29, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

>>> we have chosen option (a), because we added some extensions to
>>> SubCanvas
>>> that utilize the client instVar for traversing subapplications.
>>
>> Did you make some overrides so that the client was actually being
>> set/
>> retained by the Builder?
>
> requires three changes:
>
> Subcanvas class>>new
>   ^  super new
>
> UILookPolic>>subCanvasClass
>   ^SubCanvas
>
> SubCanvas>>aisClient: anAppModel
>   client := anAppModel.

So you've added a setter for client (#aisClient:) and are taking care
somewhere else to get that sent. Could you do the same thing as you
have done by simply adding the one following method:

CompositePart>>aisClient: anAppModel
        self propertyAt: #aisClient put: anAppModel

I assume you actually access it as well, so you'd probably add a second

CompositePart>>aisClient
        ^self propertyAt: #aisClient

(note you could actually place this on VisualPart just as well, just
for generalizations sake)

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist
10 2 letter words: "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

davidbuck
The aisClient: call comes from Arbor Help. It's still called within a #respondsTo: test in ApplicationModel>>buildInSubcanvas:withBuilder:.

David Buck

On Jul 29, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

>>> we have chosen option (a), because we added some extensions to
>>> SubCanvas
>>> that utilize the client instVar for traversing subapplications.
>>
>> Did you make some overrides so that the client was actually being
>> set/
>> retained by the Builder?
>
> requires three changes:
>
> Subcanvas class>>new
>   ^  super new
>
> UILookPolic>>subCanvasClass
>   ^SubCanvas
>
> SubCanvas>>aisClient: anAppModel
>   client := anAppModel.

So you've added a setter for client (#aisClient:) and are taking care
somewhere else to get that sent. Could you do the same thing as you
have done by simply adding the one following method:

CompositePart>>aisClient: anAppModel
        self propertyAt: #aisClient put: anAppModel

I assume you actually access it as well, so you'd probably add a second

CompositePart>>aisClient
        ^self propertyAt: #aisClient

(note you could actually place this on VisualPart just as well, just
for generalizations sake)

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist
10 2 letter words: "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
#aisClient: is still being sent in the base image code.

Our extensions to SubCanvas rely on the client instVar being set, so
these would have to be pushed up, too. Adding the three methods was
easier. Actually, it took less time than writing this mail ;) And if at
some point SubCanvas is removed from the base image, it will be probably
easier to add the class definition to the package containting the three
methods. After all, SubCanvas isn't a terribly evil guy, didn't cause
any troubles in the past.

CompositePart is also the superclass of a rather extensive class
hierarchy, so adding a #client accessor to CompositePart doesn't sound
very desriable.

> So you've added a setter for client (#aisClient:) and are taking care
> somewhere else to get that sent. Could you do the same thing as you
> have done by simply adding the one following method:
>
> CompositePart>>aisClient: anAppModel
>     self propertyAt: #aisClient put: anAppModel
>
> I assume you actually access it as well, so you'd probably add a second
>
> CompositePart>>aisClient
>     ^self propertyAt: #aisClient
>
> (note you could actually place this on VisualPart just as well, just
> for generalizations sake)
>
> --
> Travis Griggs
> Objologist
> 10 2 letter words: "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Re: [vw7.7] Deprecated Features -- GUI

Travis Griggs-4
On Jul 29, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Adams, Charles wrote:

> I have a better idea: why don't y'all just leave SubCanvas alone?
>
> I have yet to hear a cogent argument for mucking with this class.

Let me wax wide and philosophical, we'll leave the specific
application of SubCanvas alone, until farther down.

<Big Long Analogy I worked up about old cities being built strata upon
strata deleted>

Short of it, it behooves us, in general to simplify and reduce the
Smalltalk class library. It's been a case of just add more and more
and more and more and more for 30 years now. At some point, we have to
sit back and reduce and simplify, if we're to be able to move forward.
Moving forward is a good thing for all parties involved.

In specific, we reduced SubCanvas, because there was no real apparent
reason for it, from a state/implementation Point of View. The arbor
help system is EOL at best, the only reason it still exists, with all
of its egregious hacks and overrides is because we've not allocated
the resources to do a new help system. The current aisClient: method
would only be invoked from the base image, if you had added said
method yourself, or always shipped with the help system loaded.

It could be we reduced it the wrong way. Throwing stuff out isn't
something we've had a lot of experience with over the years. In this
same period, we've removed a bunch of WinXXSupport classes and
ApplicationWindow. In both of those cases, we did so by simply
removing the sublayer, pulling existing behavior up, and then aliasing
the subname to the original name. Aliasing has the advantage that all
extensions to and subclasses of, continue to load and work fine.

And it could be that the benefit of reducing in this particular spot
outweighs the cost of "fixing it." That happens sometimes. :)

--
Travis Griggs
[hidden email]

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

On Jul 28, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Thor Raabe wrote:

[...]

At this point, it's more likely we'd alias SubCanvas to CompositePart. Which allows (c) to work as well. And maybe we'll just recant on this one.

We won't get rid of SubCanvas spec or, or as a term in the UIPainter. Simply way too much code out there that depends on that.

Wider observations about the UIBuilder... I wish it had never been conceived. Any "plans" involve trying to eventually get to a better place without breaking everything at once, some day.

Someday, maybe James Robertson will write the "Plaid Book: Bits and Pieces of VisualWorks History" and I can edit this particular part.

--
Travis Griggs