way to control the way we load in Metacello

way to control the way we load in Metacello

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Dale.  We were talking today with Esteban about something for Metacello. Not necessary something right now, but maybe something we can think for the future:

Right now, it is really black magic what happens behind #load. I mean, the image where I am loading can have any of the following scenarios:

1) Have already loaded that project/package before with Metacello and the exact same version.
2) Have already loaded that project/package before with Metacello but an older version.
3) Have already loaded that project/package before without Metacello, meaning Metacello may think it is nothing installed.
4) Have already loaded not necessary all packages of the project without Metacello, but some of them.
5) Have already loaded not necessary all packages of the project with Metacello, but some of them.
6) Have already loaded not necessary all packages of the project with Metacello, but some of them and even a different version.
n)  probable more...

So, my first question is how to doal with these cases. The second one is how to take different strategies. For example, different users may need:

a) Even if there already something, I don't care, install/reinstall all you want
b) If there is an older version already loaded, then warn me
c) ...

So maybe we would need this kind of behavior?

Thanks

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: way to control the way we load in Metacello

Dale Henrichs
Mariano,

You've got a point ... It's one of the reasons that I added the #record method: to give someone the opportunity to see what would be loaded without actually loading anything.

There is an answer for what will happen in each condition so when you and Esteban are ready to discuss we can get into more detail...

Dale