what are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into trunk?

what are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into trunk?

Ken G. Brown
What are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into the latest Squeak4.2 trunk?

I thought that update in http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker repository might do it but I see it tries to load the following, but the ' later available ->' shows the ones that have later versions available.:

FFI-Pools-ar.1 later available -> eem.2
SharedPool-Speech-dtl.2
VMMaker-dtl.170 later available -> dtl.209
MemoryAccess-dtl.3
SlangBrowser-dtl.3 dtl.4
VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin-mtf.21
VMConstruction-Plugins-AioPlugin-dtl.9 later available -> dtl.11
VMConstruction-Plugins-XDisplayControlPlugin-dtl.7 later available -> dtl.9
Balloon3D-Constants-ar.5
Balloon3D-Plugins-ar.4 later available ->  ar.6
FreeType-tween.435
Freetype-Plugin-dtl.56
Alien-VMMaker-Plugins-John M McIntosh.8

I don't understand what VMMaker update is intended to do.

Thx,
Ken G. Brown

Re: what are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into trunk?

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 09:56:20PM -0700, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> What are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into the latest Squeak4.2 trunk?
>
> I thought that update in http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker repository might do it but I see it tries to load the following, but the ' later available -
>

> I don't understand what VMMaker update is intended to do.

Hi Ken,

Evaluate "VMMaker updateFromServer" to fetch the latest versions of
all the various packages. This works just like the Squeak update
stream.

Note, I just tried this a few minutes ago to make sure it works,
and it did not - I ran into a couple of Monticello download errors
(the old "can't find EOCD position" thing). I'm not sure if there
is a problem or if I just have a bad network connection at the moment,
but if you run into the same thing, just open the offending repository
and load the latest by hand. Sorry I don't have time to check this
further right now.

HTH,
Dave

Re: what are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into trunk?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Ken. Because of exactly your questions, we created a Metacello configuration for VMMaker.

Check the package/class ConfigurationOfVMMaker in the squeaksource repo MetacelloRepository.

If you see in such configurations, there are versions. And for each Metacello version we put in the description, which SVN version you should use. For example, for version 1.4 you have to use SVN version 2203.

The last version created in this metacello conf is 1.4, but I guess it needs some updates. I am not sure if you need the LATEST code or just experimenting to compile. If the second, then i would go with version 1.4.

Thare are some posts that may help you also:

http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/03/build-squeak-vm-on-linux.html
And there are links to other places also.

Good luck

Mariano

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:49 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 09:56:20PM -0700, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> What are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into the latest Squeak4.2 trunk?
>
> I thought that update in http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker repository might do it but I see it tries to load the following, but the ' later available -
>

> I don't understand what VMMaker update is intended to do.

Hi Ken,

Evaluate "VMMaker updateFromServer" to fetch the latest versions of
all the various packages. This works just like the Squeak update
stream.

Note, I just tried this a few minutes ago to make sure it works,
and it did not - I ran into a couple of Monticello download errors
(the old "can't find EOCD position" thing). I'm not sure if there
is a problem or if I just have a bad network connection at the moment,
but if you run into the same thing, just open the offending repository
and load the latest by hand. Sorry I don't have time to check this
further right now.

HTH,
Dave

Re: what are the current best steps for loading VMMaker into trunk?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi ken. Then you can try to load the baseline itself, and not the version, and use the latest from SVN.

For example, (ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: '1.4-baseline') load

that will load all the latests versions. Plus latest SVN, should do the work.

cheers

mariano

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thx, I'll check it out.
I just want the latest available mostly right now for exercising the latest trunk and working towards easy migration to new image releases.

Ken,
from my iPhone