what is the status of the font rendering

12

Re: what is the status of the font rendering

Andrew Tween
Hi Bert,

Re: what is the status of the font rendering

Brad Fuller-3
Andrew Tween wrote:

>>  Here's what I mean: http://bradfuller.com/access/setfontmenu.ogg
>>

> I can't get oggs to play on my machine, so unfortunately I can't look at that :(
> But thanks anyway

How about H264:

http://bradfuller.com/access/setfontmenu.mp4

Ogg is a very nice technology that is entirely free. Good to have around:
http://www.vorbis.com/

and VLC, as a player, is in the same boat:
http://www.videolan.org/

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: what is the status of the font rendering

Andrew Tween
Hi Brad,

Re: what is the status of the font rendering

Igor Stasenko
> But the image wiil still function if the plugins are missing.
>
> If FT2Plugin is missing, then all FreeType fonts will render as Accuny. The font
> menu will show no available FreeType fonts.
>
> If the modified BitBltPlugin is missing (i.e. the new combination rule 41 is not
> available), the FreeType fonts will render using the existing alpha blending
> rule 34. Sub-pixel anti-aliasing won't work (it will automatically revert to
> greyscale), the Glyph Contrast preference won't have any effect, and memory
> consumption will be higher because it will need to cache coloured glyphs.

A small question.. Since true type fonts are vector, is there any
plans to add some protocols to allow rendering fonts in vector
(outline) form?
Typically a rasterised TTF glyphs is enough for most applications,
but for creative gyus who want to play with fonts its may be good
alternative if they could use fonts in vector form to create nice text
effects.

An OpenGL maniac inside of me tells me that throwing away such
functionality is not very clever, and i would like to support them
both.

I checked a TTGlyph class and saw that loaded font is actually a set
of point triplets which define a curve. But i can't deduce more than
that.
Is there any description on how to draw a glyph from given data?

Re: what is the status of the font rendering

Bert Freudenberg

On Apr 22, 2007, at 21:43 , sig wrote:

>> But the image wiil still function if the plugins are missing.
>>
>> If FT2Plugin is missing, then all FreeType fonts will render as
>> Accuny. The font
>> menu will show no available FreeType fonts.
>>
>> If the modified BitBltPlugin is missing (i.e. the new combination
>> rule 41 is not
>> available), the FreeType fonts will render using the existing
>> alpha blending
>> rule 34. Sub-pixel anti-aliasing won't work (it will automatically
>> revert to
>> greyscale), the Glyph Contrast preference won't have any effect,
>> and memory
>> consumption will be higher because it will need to cache coloured
>> glyphs.
>>

> A small question.. Since true type fonts are vector, is there any
> plans to add some protocols to allow rendering fonts in vector
> (outline) form?
> Typically a rasterised TTF glyphs is enough for most applications,
> but for creative gyus who want to play with fonts its may be good
> alternative if they could use fonts in vector form to create nice text
> effects.
>
> An OpenGL maniac inside of me tells me that throwing away such
> functionality is not very clever, and i would like to support them
> both.
>
> I checked a TTGlyph class and saw that loaded font is actually a set
> of point triplets which define a curve. But i can't deduce more than
> that.
> Is there any description on how to draw a glyph from given data?

The data is just a series of bezier control points in Balloon2D
format, use that to render. Try

        TTSampleStringMorph initializedInstance openInHand

Note all this TT* stuff has nothing to do with Freetype (FT*), this
is the original Squeak-native implementation.

- Bert -

12