1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

when saving the world is not enough

Paul Sheldon-2
Flashy headline huh.

Tutorial movie, CroquetIntroPart3 :

When you have a collaborative world, saving work, the most fundamental thing you start programming with according to Bear (was it Valley) Institute, kinda gets hard to define, I would imagine.

I spent Friday exhausting myself trying to get this movie. Maybe I was already tired and that was why I got further exhausted. Maybe I missed a stupid point and hammered on it and got convinced I was exhausted without my normal patience faculties. On a mac, one gets wired to a contextual menu being associated with a control key modifier, but I was supposed to just click to get the menu described in the movie.

I tried all sorts of ways of control clicking, in the world morph, on the menu. Sometimes I actually missed hitting the control and then it worked which made me think I was working around a bug by doing something at the edge of the world.

Just click.

Maybe my missing that and forming all sorts of other hypotheses exhausted me. Even though it brings no results that you can report without embarrassment, that is "our work" gentlemen.

Maybe "just click!" should be said explicitly (with exclamation point) in the movie for someone else with a mac who is having a bad day.

But, I was able to save the world, my world which had dropped from croquet "perfection" by my having deleted the getting started text window. I wanted it back along with the tutored corrections.

To repeat :

I took the beta version of Croquet, got to save code changes, but accidently saved on top of my image after having dismissed the getting started window. So, on every launch, I don't see that window and that serves as a reminder I goofed. I did not know how to get this window back other than redrag from my installer disk I made and reinstall. I had gotten my code fix to reload, but on this "damaged" croquet file without the getting started window.

When, after reinstall, I tried to redo the code fix and save, I couldn't reload successfully.

So, I have a shaky understanding how to save a subset of the world and I thought it was a funny way of expressing that I needed help because I wasn't satisfied saving the whole world (my metaphor for the croquet image).

Yet, code changes were in text in the changes image. Thought that completely befuddles me, wise people in artificial intelligence say such surprise constitutes information (if only for someone else or some later time).

Croquet's "work history", I imagine, is extremely complex and knowing something as fundamental as how work is saved might be an advanced lesson. It would be the sheerest stupidity to crab and complain about movie 3 not telling me how to do more than merely save the whole world but rather also how to collaboratively save, not all by myself, but with other people.

I'm imagining I would want to not change the state of the development environment from the last version but be able to shut down the virtual machine (quit program) and reload the changes I made to pick up where I left off doing revisions.

So, where in the reading can I get stuff about the flipside of the theme of saving, reloading examples? I need a walkthrough so I can see what I am missing in a movie or with a rabbit from another world that I can turn to when nobody needs me (don't you see?) ... .

;-)

Once I reloaded by just clicking load on some window of Monticello browser.

Hey maybe I have to search on various engines the Monticello browser?

Maybe a whole day (yesterday) of free tango lessons have weakened my core and I just answered myself, but I'd like to hear references recommended by people rather than do it all myself.