3D desktop

12

3D desktop

stéphane ducasse-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
Could be cool to use Genie for that....

Re: 3D desktop

Hans N Beck-2
Hi Stef,

Am 05.01.2007 um 22:31 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
> Could be cool to use Genie for that....

Cool indeed. What is "Genie" ?

Greetings

Hans

Re: 3D desktop

karl-8
Hans N Beck wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>

> Am 05.01.2007 um 22:31 schrieb stéphane ducasse:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>> Could be cool to use Genie for that....
>
> Cool indeed. What is "Genie" ?
>
> Greetings
>
> Hans

Genie is a gesture recognizer.
the video is pretty cool. I think it is a good interface for dealing
with subsections of documents, but it will become unwieldy with a huge
amount of documents one accumulate over a few years. I saw terabyte
disks announced yesterday, users should not be exposed to manually
organize something like that. Some kind of automatic storage and
indexing must be introduced.

karl

Re: 3D desktop

stephane ducasse
Genie is a gesture recognition system developed by nathanael schaerli
for squeak.

Stef
On 6 janv. 07, at 13:06, Hans N Beck wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>

> Am 05.01.2007 um 22:31 schrieb stéphane ducasse:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>> Could be cool to use Genie for that....
>
> Cool indeed. What is "Genie" ?
>
> Greetings
>
> Hans

Re: 3D desktop

timrowledge

On 5-Jan-07, at 1:31 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
Yuck. Absolutely ridiculous system. I don't want some simulation of a
bad system (messy desktops may be common but they're certainly not
good) I want a sensible system that actually helps my work processes.

This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to
get grade points for playing Doom.

tim
Strange OpCodes: FR: Flip Record

Re: 3D desktop

Michael Rueger-6
tim Rowledge wrote:
> This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to get
> grade points for playing Doom.

you might be right ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUVpSY4eBCc&mode=related&search=

Michael

Re: 3D desktop

stephane ducasse
I think that what is interesting is that people have the tools to try
new ideas even if you think  that they are idiot.
I thought for a moment that squeak was this platform that would allow
us to build great next generation ideas.
So I hope that I clarified the purpose of my first email.

On 6 janv. 07, at 21:16, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 5-Jan-07, at 1:31 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
> Yuck. Absolutely ridiculous system. I don't want some simulation of
> a bad system (messy desktops may be common but they're certainly
> not good) I want a sensible system that actually helps my work
> processes.
>
> This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to
> get grade points for playing Doom.
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: FR: Flip Record

Re: 3D desktop

dpharris
tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 5-Jan-07, at 1:31 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ
>
> Yuck. Absolutely ridiculous system. I don't want some simulation of a
> bad system (messy desktops may be common but they're certainly not
> good) I want a sensible system that actually helps my work processes.
>
> This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to
> get grade points for playing Doom.
>
> tim

Gee Tim, just this weekend I have seen several articles saying that
messy is good.  Seems there's a new book out by a rabbi saying that
too-organized is wasteful and too-messy is wasteful, but some mess is
just right!  See:
<http://www.amazon.com/Yearnings-Embracing-Sacred-Messiness-Life/dp/1401301924>

Cheers,
David

Re: 3D desktop

karl-8
Michael Rueger skrev:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>> This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to
>> get grade points for playing Doom.
>
> you might be right ;-)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUVpSY4eBCc&mode=related&search=
>
> Michael

:-)
Karl

Re: 3D desktop

Cees De Groot
On 1/6/07, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to
> get grade points for playing Doom.

True in sorts. The best email system I've used so far is Gmail. Which
is strange, it being browser-based. Every single shortcoming for the
browser UI, however, is made up for by Google's excellent search
system. Eye candy can't compete with good old functionality :). That's
also why I am totally not interested in pimping Squeak's UI, for
example.

Still - some nice and potentially more widely applicable gestures though.

Re: 3D desktop

Hans N Beck-2
Hi

Am 07.01.2007 um 12:20 schrieb Cees de Groot:

> On 1/6/07, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to
>> get grade points for playing Doom.
>>
> True in sorts. The best email system I've used so far is Gmail. Which
> is strange, it being browser-based. Every single shortcoming for the
> browser UI, however, is made up for by Google's excellent search
> system. Eye candy can't compete with good old functionality :). That's
> also why I am totally not interested in pimping Squeak's UI, for
> example.
>
> Still - some nice and potentially more widely applicable gestures
> though.

And: the way how to use computers will change. There will be come an
age where we don't use a mouse or a keyboard at all for standard
tasks. So playing such "games" may be necessary to find promising new
ways.

Regards

Hans

Re: 3D desktop

Edgar J. De Cleene
Cees de Groot puso en su mail :

> On 1/6/07, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is nothing more than game-washed kids trying to find a way to
>> get grade points for playing Doom.

Euclides view of world last for many years and for many of us a "flat" world
is enough.

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: 3D desktop

timrowledge

On 7-Jan-07, at 12:16 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> I think that what is interesting is that people have the tools to
> try new ideas even if you think  that they are idiot.

Yes, that is good and interesting; the faster people ca try out ideas
and discover which ones are bad, the better it is. As we used to say
at Interval Research  - Fail Early, Fail Often.

Squeak is definitely one of the tools I would consider valuable for
this. So is SketchUp, so is the Doom Programmers Kit (or whatever it
may be known as). So is modelling clay....

And none of it stops me thinking that is a bad idea to
photophysically emulate a bad way of working. Sure it's cool that you
*can* do that that but that doesn't make it a good way of working.

tim
Oscar Wilde: “Only the shallow know themselves.”

Re: 3D desktop

stephane ducasse
>> I think that what is interesting is that people have the tools to
>> try new ideas even if you think  that they are idiot.
>
> Yes, that is good and interesting; the faster people ca try out
> ideas and discover which ones are bad, the better it is. As we used
> to say at Interval Research  - Fail Early, Fail Often.
>
> Squeak is definitely one of the tools I would consider valuable for
> this. So is SketchUp, so is the Doom Programmers Kit (or whatever
> it may be known as). So is modelling clay....
>
> And none of it stops me thinking that is a bad idea to
> photophysically emulate a bad way of working. Sure it's cool that
> you *can* do that that but that doesn't make it a good way of working.

Indeed.
I have no idea of 3D virtual space efficiency and I was more looking
at the technical aspects.

Re: 3D desktop

Derek O'Connell
tim Rowledge wrote
And none of it stops me thinking that is a bad idea to
photophysically emulate a bad way of working.
I wish someone would tell that to every organisation that attempts to chain it's employees to desks for 8 hours+ a day :-)

Back to the video, it is some months old now and I think all the criticisms that could be made have been. Still, on a superficial level it is excellent eye candy and I for one don't understand the general aversion of the Squeak community to eye candy. Image sells and that's a fact... and I think Squeak/Smalltalk could have done with some eye-candy style interfaces and marketing. It could also be argued that EToys is eye candy?

Regarding 3D, for a long time I believed that 3D was the future but eventually came to the conclusion that 2.5D is more suitable in most cases and this is an prime example. I agree it has flaws but I think it should be viewed as possibly appropriate for working at a particular level, eg, with a small subset of documents/data. Plus it presents an immediately familiar metaphor that almost anyone can relate to. I lost faith in full blown 3D metaphors because the examples I have seen overwhelm the user and/or abstract away any common meaning. A good metric for future interfaces is: do they even need explaining, let alone an operators manual (yuuuuk!).

...or should I just say: I like it!

Re: 3D desktop

Darius Clarke
Why I think full 3D is inevitable... though fully integrated with 2D,
with text, and with
databases.

Most information management will begin to look like how a large
building is built.

Building Information Modeling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_Information_Modeling

... to manage complexity and coordinate communication in real time for
a multitude of information participants and interests.

Cheers,
Darius

On 1/7/07, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > And none of it stops me thinking that is a bad idea to
> > photophysically emulate a bad way of working.
> >

> I wish someone would tell that to every organisation that attempts to chain
> it's employees to desks for 8 hours+ a day :-)
>
> Back to the video, it is some months old now and I think all the criticisms
> that could be made have been. Still, on a superficial level it is excellent
> eye candy and I for one don't understand the general aversion of the Squeak
> community to eye candy. Image sells and that's a fact... and I think
> Squeak/Smalltalk could have done with some eye-candy style interfaces and
> marketing. It could also be argued that EToys is eye candy?
>
> Regarding 3D, for a long time I believed that 3D was the future but
> eventually came to the conclusion that 2.5D is more suitable in most cases
> and this is an prime example. I agree it has flaws but I think it should be
> viewed as possibly appropriate for working at a particular level, eg, with a
> small subset of documents/data. Plus it presents an immediately familiar
> metaphor that almost anyone can relate to. I lost faith in full blown 3D
> metaphors because the examples I have seen overwhelm the user and/or
> abstract away any common meaning. A good metric for future interfaces is: do
> they even need explaining, let alone an operators manual (yuuuuk!).
>
> ...or should I just say: I like it!

Re: 3D desktop, the catch.

Alan Grimes-2
The problem with 3D desktops, or any 3D functionality whatsoever, is
that I own a motherboard which, by all appearances Linux should support,
it even has a menu item in the configuration system specifically listing
my chipset, but it doesn't. instead linux crashes instantly and
completely whenever I try to do anything at all with anything even
remotely related to 3D, even the simplest diagnostics will crash my
computer. Therefore my position is that nobody should be permitted to
use, develop, or even discuss any 3D application of any kind, under
penalty of law, until my computer is restored to full operation. =|

|/-\|/-\|

RE: 3D desktop

Ron Teitelbaum
I stick with my prediction that Windows will never take off because DOS apps
are much faster.  40 lines of code just to bring up a window!!  It's never
going to happen!

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: 3D desktop

Alan Grimes-2
Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> I stick with my prediction that Windows will never take off because DOS apps
> are much faster.  40 lines of code just to bring up a window!!  It's never
> going to happen!

Damn streight!

DOS Apps remain unsurpassed in so many areas that it makes me cry every
time I think about it. =(

|/-\|/-\|

Re: 3D desktop

Laurence Rozier

On 1/7/07, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7-Jan-07, at 12:16 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> I think that what is interesting is that people have the tools to
> try new ideas even if you think  that they are idiot.

Yes, that is good and interesting; the faster people ca try out ideas
and discover which ones are bad, the better it is. As we used to say
at Interval Research  - Fail Early, Fail Often.

Squeak is definitely one of the tools I would consider valuable for
this. So is SketchUp, so is the Doom Programmers Kit (or whatever it
may be known as). So is modelling clay....

And none of it stops me thinking that is a bad idea to
photophysically emulate a bad way of working. Sure it's cool that you
*can* do that that but that doesn't make it a good way of working.

Perhaps order, like most things is not always what it appears to be. Organizing requires overhead and maintenance. Not all neat desktops are efficient and some messy desktops are more effectively organized than others. For example, there are many visual encodings in my messy desktop that I can't figure out a "neat" way to do that doesn't require a lot of overhead. I get phone calls, snail mail, physical folders and objects from other people that don't fit neatly into an existing structure so they go into piles. Proximity indicates overall priority. Nearness to the top of the stack is a strong indicator of priority within the domain of that stack. A stack is sticky - i.e. I can move a stack and it retains local spatial tags along with a rough chronology and whatever color tags I may have used. I have a sense of when my mess is getting unmanageable and things need to have a neater, more structured arrangement. Piles that are really high, wide or static probably need attention. Piles convey status info to me while on the phone and when entering or leaving the room.  They have their downsides especially for things that need to be shared but messy piles can be an effective management tool.

Cheers,
Laurence