A Gentle Introduction to Amber

1234

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

Mir S.
Phew... Managed to finish the tutorial!!!

Quick notes:

1. After 'amber init' tell the reader to give the project a title, "Example Project" (note the space) and then accept all other defaults with enter. (This gives you predictable results later)

2. In the class declaration for FormExample replace " package: 'KingTut' " with  " package: 'ExampleProject' " (based on predictable results from above)

3. When connecting the FormExample to the app (just above Talking to a REST API) make an explicit note to add the code to 'ExampleProject' in the 'augmentPage' method just after the method name and before any of the other code in there. (Again, predictable results and a much cleaner app for the 'first timer')

Pe 9 iun. 2015, la 19:52, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> a scris:

I just completed my first Amber tutorial article for Medium. It is part of my Smalltalk Renaissance advocacy campaign. I've published it for review purposes; over the next several days, I'll make small edits based on feedback.

When I know it's good and ready, I'll submit it to Reddit and other social media sites. Hopefully, this will generate interest in Amber (in particular) and Smalltalk (in general).

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

horrido
In #3, you don't need to put that code in augmentPage. In my test, I replaced the code in the "Hello from TagBrush" button with it. Made it more convenient for debugging.

On Friday, 12 June 2015 14:50:42 UTC-4, Mircea Samoilă wrote:
Phew... Managed to finish the tutorial!!!

Quick notes:

1. After 'amber init' tell the reader to give the project a title, "Example Project" (note the space) and then accept all other defaults with enter. (This gives you predictable results later)

2. In the class declaration for FormExample replace " package: 'KingTut' " with  " package: 'ExampleProject' " (based on predictable results from above)

3. When connecting the FormExample to the app (just above Talking to a REST API) make an explicit note to add the code to 'ExampleProject' in the 'augmentPage' method just after the method name and before any of the other code in there. (Again, predictable results and a much cleaner app for the 'first timer')

Pe 9 iun. 2015, la 19:52, Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="G11fD9ChsSwJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> a scris:

I just completed my first Amber tutorial article for Medium. It is part of my Smalltalk Renaissance advocacy campaign. I've published it for review purposes; over the next several days, I'll make small edits based on feedback.

When I know it's good and ready, I'll submit it to Reddit and other social media sites. Hopefully, this will generate interest in Amber (in particular) and Smalltalk (in general).

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

horrido
I would like to apologize for the instability of the code examples. Over the past few days, I've been struggling to get radio buttons working in a more proper (and elegant) manner, based on feedback from Herby. Consequently, the Medium article was continually being updated (incorrectly). It is now stable.

It's only been six days since the article was published, so I hope it didn't confuse too many people.  ;-)

On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 12:52:24 UTC-4, Richard Eng wrote:
I just completed my first Amber tutorial article for Medium. It is part of my Smalltalk Renaissance advocacy campaign. I've published it for review purposes; over the next several days, I'll make small edits based on feedback.

When I know it's good and ready, I'll submit it to Reddit and other social media sites. Hopefully, this will generate interest in Amber (in particular) and Smalltalk (in general).

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

Mir S.
Yes, that can be a solution too.

My point is that the article doesn't mention a specific point in the code to add those lines and this can be confusing to anyone just following the tutorial and not knowing the underpinnings of amber.

Pe 15 iun. 2015, la 07:17, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> a scris:

[...]

Herby Vojčík

Dňa 15. júna 2015 10:13:34 CEST používateľ "Mircea Samoilă" <[hidden email]> napísal:
> Yes, that can be a solution too.

Well, augmentPage is the right place where to, well, augment the page so its HTML content is modified according to app data / tied to the application code.

Changing the code for "Hello from TagBrush" (or any other) is hacking into unrelated working piece. Proper way is to have your own element (yet another button?) ready, and set it up in augmentPage.

Alternatively, you don't have anything to augment (you decided to have an empty page at the time of loading), in which case you should probably change the method name to startApp but call it similarly from the require callback.

None of these are carved into stone; they just follow from common sense and good practices.

> My point is that the article doesn't mention a specific point in the
> code to add those lines and this can be confusing to anyone just
> following the tutorial and not knowing the underpinnings of amber.
>
> Pe 15 iun. 2015, la 07:17, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> a
> scris:
>
> > In #3, you don't need to put that code in augmentPage. In my test, I
> replaced the code in the "Hello from TagBrush" button with it. Made it
> more convenient for debugging.
> >

> >> On Friday, 12 June 2015 14:50:42 UTC-4, Mircea Samoilă wrote:
> >> Phew... Managed to finish the tutorial!!!
> >>
> >> Quick notes:
> >>
> >> 1. After 'amber init' tell the reader to give the project a title,
> "Example Project" (note the space) and then accept all other defaults
> with enter. (This gives you predictable results later)
> >>
> >> 2. In the class declaration for FormExample replace " package:
> 'KingTut' " with  " package: 'ExampleProject' " (based on predictable
> results from above)
> >>
> >> 3. When connecting the FormExample to the app (just above Talking
> to a REST API) make an explicit note to add the code to
> 'ExampleProject' in the 'augmentPage' method just after the method
> name and before any of the other code in there. (Again, predictable
> results and a much cleaner app for the 'first timer')
> >>

> >> Pe 9 iun. 2015, la 19:52, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> a
> scris:

> part of my Smalltalk Renaissance advocacy campaign. I've published it
> for review purposes; over the next several days, I'll make small edits
> based on feedback.
> >>>

> https://medium.com/@richardeng/a-gentle-introduction-to-amber-8c532631e9ab

> other social media sites. Hopefully, this will generate interest in
> Amber (in particular) and Smalltalk (in general).

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

horrido
I'm rather disappointed at the reception of my Amber tutorial. After 8 days and a half, it has only gotten about 570 views (and 180 reads). My previous tutorial article on Golang and the Beego web framework eventually got over 7,000 views (and 3,000 reads). Will the Amber tutorial ever get this high?

By all accounts, the Amber tutorial is every bit as well-written as the Beego tutorial. Both have been promoted at Reddit and spread through social media. Both aim to make their respective subjects easily approachable for novices.

Granted, Golang is a much higher profile language. It's sort of "hot" right now. Is this why the tutorial took off? We need to push out the Amber tutorial as hard as possible. I am convinced that it can gain a lot of Amber converts.

On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 08:51:58 UTC-4, Richard Eng wrote:
I've added an embedded YouTube video in the "Installing Amber" section. It's a Helios screencast giving the reader a very basic introduction to the Amber IDE, just enough so that he can complete the tutorial. I leave more advanced topics, such as Inspector, Debugger, and Search facility, to future screencasts.

On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 12:52:24 UTC-4, Richard Eng wrote:
I just completed my first Amber tutorial article for Medium. It is part of my Smalltalk Renaissance advocacy campaign. I've published it for review purposes; over the next several days, I'll make small edits based on feedback.

When I know it's good and ready, I'll submit it to Reddit and other social media sites. Hopefully, this will generate interest in Amber (in particular) and Smalltalk (in general).

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

Herby Vojčík
Yes, Go had hype and Smalltalk has rumours if being a dead horse. That is definitely the reason. People want to know hot things and many avoid poisoned ones, yolo.

Plus, does Go code have syntax highlighting? If yes, it can contribute as well.

Dňa 17. júna 2015 22:06:34 CEST používateľ Richard Eng <[hidden email]> napísal:
[...]

Well, syntax highlighting is specific to the editing tool you're using; it's not a property of the language itself.

Speaking of which, the Smalltalk editor is pretty barebones basic. Over the years, why hasn't anyone considered enhancing its editing features, eg, bracket matching, search and replace, autocomplete, etc.?

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 05:56:47 UTC-4, Herby wrote:
Yes, Go had hype and Smalltalk has rumours if being a dead horse. That is definitely the reason. People want to know hot things and many avoid poisoned ones, yolo.

Plus, does Go code have syntax highlighting? If yes, it can contribute as well.

Dňa 17. júna 2015 22:06:34 CEST používateľ Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="VrdxtHTjZcQJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> napísal:
I'm rather disappointed at the reception of my Amber tutorial. After 8 days and a half, it has only gotten about 570 views (and 180 reads). My previous <a href="https://medium.com/@richardeng/a-word-from-the-beegoist-d562ff8589d7" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fmedium.com%2F%40richardeng%2Fa-word-from-the-beegoist-d562ff8589d7\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG5kARGoa9nxYvQKrmwsdRSRsfoIg';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fmedium.com%2F%40richardeng%2Fa-word-from-the-beegoist-d562ff8589d7\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG5kARGoa9nxYvQKrmwsdRSRsfoIg';return true;">tutorial article on Golang and the Beego web framework eventually got over 7,000 views (and 3,000 reads). Will the Amber tutorial ever get this high?

Richard Eng wrote:
> Well, syntax highlighting is specific to the editing tool you're using;
> it's not a property of the language itself.
>
> Speaking of which, the Smalltalk editor is pretty barebones basic. Over
> the years, why hasn't anyone considered enhancing its editing features,
> eg, bracket matching, search and replace, autocomplete, etc.?

I meant syntax highlighting in the article itself.

Are you talking about that? Cause Helios has autocomplete

> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 05:56:47 UTC-4, Herby wrote:
>
>     Yes, Go had hype and Smalltalk has rumours if being a dead horse.
>     That is definitely the reason. People want to know hot things and
>     many avoid poisoned ones, yolo.
>
>     Plus, does Go code have syntax highlighting? If yes, it can
>     contribute as well.
>
>     Dňa 17. júna 2015 22:06:34 CEST používateľ Richard Eng
>     <[hidden email] <javascript:>> napísal:
>
>         I'm rather disappointed at the reception of my Amber tutorial.
>         After 8 days and a half, it has only gotten about 570 views (and
>         180 reads). My previous tutorial article
>         <https://medium.com/@richardeng/a-word-from-the-beegoist-d562ff8589d7>
>         on Golang and the Beego web framework eventually got over 7,000
>         views (and 3,000 reads). Will the Amber tutorial ever get this high?
>
>         By all accounts, the Amber tutorial is every bit as well-written
>         as the Beego tutorial. Both have been promoted at Reddit and
>         spread through social media. Both aim to make their respective
>         subjects easily approachable for novices.
>
>         Granted, Golang is a much higher profile language. It's sort of
>         "hot" right now. Is this why the tutorial took off? We need to
>         push out the Amber tutorial as hard as possible. I am convinced
>         that it can gain a lot of Amber converts.

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Herby Vojčík wrote
Yes, Go had hype and Smalltalk has rumours if being a dead horse
> I'm rather disappointed at the reception of my Amber tutorial
Unix, which Alan Kay describes as "a budget of bad ideas" (and I agree), took almost 50 years to take over the world [1]. Maybe you're 10 years too early to make Smalltalk popular ;) But seriously, I think you're using the wrong metrics. The great majority of people are instrumental thinkers i.e. they judge every new thing by how useful it is to their current goals. This is the definition of the Pink Plane. Given that the real value of Smalltalk is that it's prototype Dynabook software, which is way into the blue plane of computing, convincing the masses of its value is extremely unlikely - and not required! If say 10% of programmers are interested in the inherent value of ideas, and we capture this 10%, that will be more than enough critical mass. And given your report of relative popularity of your blog posts, 570/7000 = 8% doesn't sound too far off ;)

BTW I'm not saying don't try to reach as many people as possible, only to reframe what failure looks like.

[1] http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/05/07/is-unix-now-the-most-successful-operating-system-of-all-time/
Cheers,
Sean

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

NorbertHartl
Can you elaborate why unix is budget of bad ideas? I think you need to take a specific view of the world to say that.

Norbert

> [...]

> took almost 50 years to take over the world [1]. Maybe you're 10 years too
> early to make Smalltalk popular ;) But seriously, I think you're using the
> wrong metrics. The great majority of people are instrumental thinkers i.e.
> they judge every new thing by how useful it is to their current goals. This
> is the definition of the Pink Plane. Given that the real value of Smalltalk
> is that it's prototype Dynabook software, which is way into the blue plane
> of computing, convincing the masses of its value is extremely unlikely - and
> not required! If say 10% of programmers are interested in the inherent value
> of ideas, and we capture this 10%, that will be more than enough critical
> mass. And given your report of relative popularity of your blog posts,
> 570/7000 = 8% doesn't sound too far off ;)
>
> BTW I'm not saying don't try to reach as many people as possible, only to

NorbertHartl wrote
Can you elaborate why unix is budget of bad ideas?
Feels like a blog post brewing ;) But off the top of my head:
- "Everything Is a File" instead of "Everything Is an Object"
- C is the language of Unix (I'm sure most people on this list could write this bullet)
  - programs from the point of view of the computer, at the expense of the programmer
  - run compile cycle obliterates flow
  - static-ness forces you to make decisions before you even know what you mean; then locks you in
  - etc, etc
- "Everything Is Text" instead of "Everything Is an Object". The command line parses text, which differs from command to command in irrelevant yet infuriating ways. When it knows what you're asking, it does something useful. Finally it turns the result back into - sometimes poorly structured - text, which you yourself have to parse to use for further computation
- Configuration Files Everywhere - all in their own syntax or PL of choice
- Complex - as Alan notes, Unix is big enough to feel like it's the whole computing universe, distracting you from ever understanding what's important

In short, it's a-little-better-than-Windows, but a far cry from a Dynabook, or even from the much better ideas that came before - Sketchpad, NLS, etc.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

philippeback

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
NorbertHartl wrote
> Can you elaborate why unix is budget of bad ideas?

Feels like a blog post brewing ;) But off the top of my head:
- "Everything Is a File" instead of "Everything Is an Object"
- C is the language of Unix (I'm sure most people on this list could write
this bullet)
  - programs from the point of view of the computer, at the expense of the
programmer
  - run compile cycle obliterates flow
  - static-ness forces you to make decisions before you even know what you
mean; then locks you in
  - etc, etc
- "Everything Is Text" instead of "Everything Is an Object". The command
line parses text, which differs from command to command in irrelevant yet
infuriating ways. When it knows what you're asking, it does something
useful. Finally it turns the result back into - sometimes poorly structured
- text, which you yourself have to parse to use for further computation
- Configuration Files Everywhere - all in their own syntax or PL of choice
- Complex - as Alan notes, Unix is big enough to feel like it's the whole
computing universe, distracting you from ever understanding what's important

In short, it's a-little-better-than-Windows, but a far cry from a Dynabook,
or even from the much better ideas that came before - Sketchpad, NLS, etc.

And still it is the mainstream... and using Smalltalk makes me feel more and more missing on the new things that are happening.

That's why I am looking back into the mainstream as that's where the money is as well.

We just can't be the world at ongoing innovation.

For pure play, Pharo is great. For integrating with other stuff, we lag behind. That's where Unix shines.

Phil

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
philippeback wrote
And still it is the mainstream... and using Smalltalk makes me feel more
and more missing on the new things that are happening.
Don't confuse feeling with actually missing anything important ;) But of course this is always the tension - use the crappy mainstream thing, or the niche blue plane thing - tradeoffs to both, no question.

philippeback wrote
That's why I am looking back into the mainstream as that's where the money
is as well.
That hasn't been my experience - or Paul Graham's - but for certain segments that's probably true

philippeback wrote
We just can't beat the world at ongoing innovation.
When Ruby has something better than GT... or something close to it... or something at all, anything! ;) then I'll agree
Cheers,
Sean

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

NorbertHartl

> Am 18.06.2015 um 21:02 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>
> NorbertHartl wrote
>> Can you elaborate why unix is budget of bad ideas?
>
> Feels like a blog post brewing ;) But off the top of my head:
> - "Everything Is a File" instead of "Everything Is an Object"

That 's ridiculous. The idea of unix is the file. It is like complaining that smalltalk has objects.

> - C is the language of Unix (I'm sure most people on this list could write
> this bullet)
>  - programs from the point of view of the computer, at the expense of the
> programmer

Someone needs to take that view because resources are limited. Nothing smalltalk can or could replace (it could for some use cases today).

>  - run compile cycle obliterates flow
>  - static-ness forces you to make decisions before you even know what you
> mean; then locks you in

>  - etc, etc
> - "Everything Is Text" instead of "Everything Is an Object". The command
> line parses text, which differs from command to command in irrelevant yet
> infuriating ways. When it knows what you're asking, it does something
> useful. Finally it turns the result back into - sometimes poorly structured

Exactly like different objects have different protocols and not of all of them are easy to understand.

> - text, which you yourself have to parse to use for further computation
> - Configuration Files Everywhere - all in their own syntax or PL of choice

That is so true in a way but has nothing to do with unix. People invent bad software and create a hell of a mess. That is not necessarily related to unix anyhow.

> - Complex - as Alan notes, Unix is big enough to feel like it's the whole
> computing universe, distracting you from ever understanding what's important

And smalltalk is the whole because it ignores everything outside of its own shell. So you may not be able to see what is important at all.

> In short, it's a-little-better-than-Windows, but a far cry from a Dynabook,
> or even from the much better ideas that came before - Sketchpad, NLS, etc.

I like smalltalk but I don't share this object chauvinistic view. It is most likely not the ultimate approach to computing. I don't even know if that object idea is solved best in smalltalk. And the dynabook is not the solution to all that humanity needs to compute. These are all just vehicles for lamenting about the current state of computing with a narrow view. It is easy to complain all the time if you don't have the need to achieve something. Too easy. Throwing away things every 2 years and start from scratch does not produce any use for the people just for the researchers mind and paper. So please leave room for the achievers that are brave enough to make something useful out of this unelaborate mess.

Norbert

Am 18.06.2015 um 21:31 schrieb [hidden email]:

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
NorbertHartl wrote
> Can you elaborate why unix is budget of bad ideas?

Feels like a blog post brewing ;) But off the top of my head:
- "Everything Is a File" instead of "Everything Is an Object"
- C is the language of Unix (I'm sure most people on this list could write
this bullet)
  - programs from the point of view of the computer, at the expense of the
programmer
  - run compile cycle obliterates flow
  - static-ness forces you to make decisions before you even know what you
mean; then locks you in
  - etc, etc
- "Everything Is Text" instead of "Everything Is an Object". The command
line parses text, which differs from command to command in irrelevant yet
infuriating ways. When it knows what you're asking, it does something
useful. Finally it turns the result back into - sometimes poorly structured
- text, which you yourself have to parse to use for further computation
- Configuration Files Everywhere - all in their own syntax or PL of choice
- Complex - as Alan notes, Unix is big enough to feel like it's the whole
computing universe, distracting you from ever understanding what's important

In short, it's a-little-better-than-Windows, but a far cry from a Dynabook,
or even from the much better ideas that came before - Sketchpad, NLS, etc.

And still it is the mainstream... and using Smalltalk makes me feel more and more missing on the new things that are happening.

That's why I am looking back into the mainstream as that's where the money is as well.

But the mainstream of the new things every day and the mainstream where the money is are two different streams. If you are just after the money this can be quite comfortable. You read about new things and then you wait 1 or 2 years and see which ones survived. Then you create some project on top of that stabilized technology and you are still early to present that to the money keepers as the "new shit[tm]". That's my experience!

Norbert

We just can't be the world at ongoing innovation.

For pure play, Pharo is great. For integrating with other stuff, we lag behind. That's where Unix shines.

Phil

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
NorbertHartl wrote
> - "Everything Is a File" instead of "Everything Is an Object"
That 's ridiculous. The idea of unix is the file. It is like complaining that smalltalk has objects.
Um, the question was why does Unix suck, so the fact that files - which as you say are "the idea of Unix" - suck (they are like objects, but dumber), seems pretty relevant indeed!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: A Gentle Introduction to Amber

horrido
The tutorial article is currently at 688 views. It won't be long till it surpasses 700, so yes, it looks like we will capture the 10%. All things considered, we're doing well...

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 09:33:21 UTC-4, Sean DeNigris wrote:
Herby Vojčík wrote
> Yes, Go had hype and Smalltalk has rumours if being a dead horse
>> I'm rather disappointed at the reception of my Amber tutorial

Unix, which Alan Kay describes as "a budget of bad ideas" (and I agree),
took almost 50 years to take over the world [1]. Maybe you're 10 years too
early to make Smalltalk popular ;) But seriously, I think you're using the
wrong metrics. The great majority of people are instrumental thinkers i.e.
they judge every new thing by how useful it is to their current goals. This
is the definition of the Pink Plane. Given that the real value of Smalltalk
is that it's prototype Dynabook software, which is way into the blue plane
of computing, convincing the masses of its value is extremely unlikely - and
not required! If say 10% of programmers are interested in the inherent value
of ideas, and we capture this 10%, that will be more than enough critical
mass. And given your report of relative popularity of your blog posts,
570/7000 = 8% doesn't sound too far off ;)

BTW I'm not saying don't try to reach as many people as possible, only to
reframe what failure looks like.

[1]

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
View this message in context: <a href="http://forum.world.st/A-Gentle-Introduction-to-Amber-tp4831244p4833048.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FA-Gentle-Introduction-to-Amber-tp4831244p4833048.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFOTwM9EswIDlzZdZrmPC-3vGXz_g';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FA-Gentle-Introduction-to-Amber-tp4831244p4833048.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNFOTwM9EswIDlzZdZrmPC-3vGXz_g';return true;">http://forum.world.st/A-Gentle-Introduction-to-Amber-tp4831244p4833048.html
Sent from the Amber Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

1234