[ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

1234

Re: Squeak map colours

Philippe Marschall
So Squeak is not meant to build commercial products (Impara,
Smallthought, ... )?

To be honest I have a hard time renumbering the last time SqueakMap
worked and did not throw an obscure error at me.

That's why I prefer to have all my packages in Monticello, just hit
load and it works.

Philippe

2006/9/25, Hiren Thacker <[hidden email]>:

> "But Squeak is only a toy." - "Yes, thanks to God!" - anonymous vs.
> squeakerI m very happy coz i m still a kid.
>
> It wasn't broken technically anyway.
>

> On 9/25/06, Ramon Leon < [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I thought that the 3.8 image had a great look and feel. I am curious
> > > as to why it was determined that it needed a look enhancement. I think
> > > somebody's grandfather had once said, "If it aint' broken don't fix
> > > it" :)
> > >
> > > -bakki
> >
> > It was broke, it was ugly as hell and looked like a toy (be design,
> > being for kids).  It needed a more professional look, to be used by more
> > professionals.  The latest look enhancements also added a nicety of
> > double clicking the title bar to minimize and maximize, like other
> > windowing systems.
> >
> > Ramon Leon
> > http://onsmalltalk.com
> >

> --
> Hiren J.Thacker

RE: Squeak map colours

Ramon Leon-5

> So Squeak is not meant to build commercial products (Impara,
> Smallthought, ... )?
>
> To be honest I have a hard time renumbering the last time
> SqueakMap worked and did not throw an obscure error at me.
>
> That's why I prefer to have all my packages in Monticello,
> just hit load and it works.
>
> Philippe

Seaside is changing that, Squeak is perfect for writing commercial web
applications.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Squeak map colours

stephane ducasse-2
> "But Squeak is only a toy." - "Yes, thanks to God!" - anonymous vs.
> squeaker

> I m very happy coz i m still a kid.

Still I hope that the work of henrik rescued by Andy will help us
improving the overall look of Squeak
(een the feel could be better). Let us adpot a little step at a time
and make sure that we do a lot of them.
So sophie enhancements are important

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

Brad Fuller
Brad Fuller wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> On 22-Sep-06, at 6:02 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>

>>> - includes cs fix and required traits fixes
>>>
>>> - is out and I would consider it as final.
>>>
>> Sounds promising. Might I suggest allowing a week for possible
>> problems before blessing it? There are few thigs quite as embarrassing
>> as declaring a final version and finding out you forgot something
>> crucial. DAMHIKT, as they say in the woodworking world.
>>
> Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason not to
> release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056
>
> brad
No comment on my question?

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

stephane ducasse-2
Hi brad

been an VM ignorant I cannot reply. Now I hope that this bug can be
fixed for 3.9 VMs
It seems to me that from an image perspective we can safely release
the image.
Now we should also move, so that people migrate their code on 3.9 and
that we start
on 3.10 :)

Stef

>>> Sounds promising. Might I suggest allowing a week for possible
>>> problems before blessing it? There are few thigs quite as
>>> embarrassing
>>> as declaring a final version and finding out you forgot something
>>> crucial. DAMHIKT, as they say in the woodworking world.
>>>
>> Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason not to
>> release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056
>>
>> brad
> No comment on my question?

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

Adrian Lienhard

On Sep 25, 2006, at 21:11 , Brad Fuller wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason not to
>> release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056
>>
>> brad
> No comment on my question?

I think, the current VM issues would be a good reason to pospone the
release.

Unfortunately, as it seems to me, the VM is quite poorly maintained.
Probably the main reason being that the maintainers don't have enough
time (or, in other words, because they are not paid to fix the
problems). Another difficulty is that there are only few people that
actually work on the VM (why?).

Apart from the bug you mention (http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?
id=0005056) there are others. For example:
- http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709 (VM blocks after memory
consumtion exceeds ~120MB)
- http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882 (VM lockup)

Cheers,
Adrian

PS: cc to vm-dev

Re: Squeak map colours

SmallSqueak

> Still I hope that the work of henrik rescued by Andy will help us
> improving the overall look of Squeak

    This is really over over over my head ;-)

    But it is very interesting to know that the overall look of Squeak
    can be improved with modularization. ;-)

    Cheers,

    SmallSqueak

> > "But Squeak is only a toy." - "Yes, thanks to God!" - anonymous vs.
> > squeaker
>
> > I m very happy coz i m still a kid.
>
> Still I hope that the work of henrik rescued by Andy will help us
> improving the overall look of Squeak
> (een the feel could be better). Let us adpot a little step at a time
> and make sure that we do a lot of them.
> So sophie enhancements are important
>
> Stef

Re: Squeak map colours

Göran Krampe
Hi!

"Philippe Marschall" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So Squeak is not meant to build commercial products (Impara,
> Smallthought, ... )?
>
> To be honest I have a hard time renumbering the last time SqueakMap
> worked and did not throw an obscure error at me.

Eh, I am not sure how SqueakMap came into this thread but anyway:

What error do you get? Doesn't it work for you now?

I am aware of a few current bugs or "inconveniences" but generally I
think SM works ok in 3.8+.

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak map colours

Göran Krampe
"SmallSqueak" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Still I hope that the work of henrik rescued by Andy will help us
> > improving the overall look of Squeak
>
>     This is really over over over my head ;-)
>
>     But it is very interesting to know that the overall look of Squeak
>     can be improved with modularization. ;-)

He did not refer to the modules work by Henrik - he referred to the look
enhancements and primarily I guess the sub pixel font rendering etc.

regards, Göran

Re: Squeak map colours

Philippe Marschall
2006/9/25, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]>:

> > So Squeak is not meant to build commercial products (Impara,
> > Smallthought, ... )?
> >
> > To be honest I have a hard time renumbering the last time
> > SqueakMap worked and did not throw an obscure error at me.
> >
> > That's why I prefer to have all my packages in Monticello,
> > just hit load and it works.
> >
> > Philippe
>
> Seaside is changing that, Squeak is perfect for writing commercial web
> applications.

Not perfect. Not even close. Just look at the hacks introduced in
Seaside2.7a1-avi.10 because blocks in Squeak suck.

Do you know how many times I got bitten (doing commercial web
applications) because I forgot to add a #fixTemps? It can tell you one
thing, if Java 1.7 will get closures, it will not require #fixTemps.

Then there are all these VM horror stories. And don't get me started
on persistence, or XML, or SOAP, or concurrency, or ...  or IO in
general, urls, ... or browsers

Philippe

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

Brad Fuller
stephane ducasse wrote:
Hi brad

been an VM ignorant I cannot reply. Now I hope that this bug can be fixed for 3.9 VMs
It seems to me that from an image perspective we can safely release the image.
Now we should also move, so that people migrate their code on 3.9 and that we start
on 3.10 :)
Thanks for your comment, Stef. That seems reasonable. However, are you sure that it's a VM issue? The VM crashes, but can it not be an issue from higher up?

brad

Stef

- includes cs fix and required traits fixes

- is out and I would consider it as final.

Sounds promising. Might I suggest allowing a week for possible
problems before blessing it? There are few thigs quite as embarrassing
as declaring a final version and finding out you forgot something
crucial. DAMHIKT, as they say in the woodworking world.

Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason not to
release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056

brad
No comment on my question?

--
Brad Fuller
Sonaural Audio Studio
+1 (408) 799-6124
Hear us online www.Sonaural.com
See me on O'Reilly

RE: Squeak map colours

Ramon Leon-5
> > Seaside is changing that, Squeak is perfect for writing
> commercial web
> > applications.
>
> Not perfect. Not even close. Just look at the hacks
> introduced in Seaside2.7a1-avi.10 because blocks in Squeak suck.

Yea, I know, I guess perfect was an overstatement.

> Do you know how many times I got bitten (doing commercial web
> applications) because I forgot to add a #fixTemps? It can
> tell you one thing, if Java 1.7 will get closures, it will
> not require #fixTemps.

Nor does Squeak, if you use the new closure compiler, however, Seaside
attempts to do all the #fixTemps for you, you shouldn't have to think about.
I do lot's of seaside code and never have to call #fixTemps myself.

> Then there are all these VM horror stories. And don't get me
> started on persistence, or XML, or SOAP, or concurrency, or
> ...  or IO in general, urls, ... or browsers
>
> Philippe

Xml's a bit odd, I admit, SOAP though, works great.  I use SOAP between
Squeak and .Net daily, it's rock solid so far.  I had to beg the author of
SoapCore to add .Net support initially, since .Net's a bit odd, but since
then it's been great.  Squeak isn't perfect, but it's better than anything
else I've seen.

Ramón León
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Squeak map colours

Philippe Marschall
> > Do you know how many times I got bitten (doing commercial web
> > applications) because I forgot to add a #fixTemps? It can
> > tell you one thing, if Java 1.7 will get closures, it will
> > not require #fixTemps.
>
> Nor does Squeak, if you use the new closure compiler, however, Seaside
> attempts to do all the #fixTemps for you, you shouldn't have to think about.
> I do lot's of seaside code and never have to call #fixTemps myself.

Closure compiler makes all blocks slower (not what you want for
Seaside) and doesn't work with exceptions.

> > Then there are all these VM horror stories. And don't get me
> > started on persistence, or XML, or SOAP, or concurrency, or
> > ...  or IO in general, urls, ... or browsers
> >
> > Philippe
>
> Xml's a bit odd, I admit, SOAP though, works great.  I use SOAP between
> Squeak and .Net daily, it's rock solid so far.  I had to beg the author of
> SoapCore to add .Net support initially, since .Net's a bit odd, but since
> then it's been great.  Squeak isn't perfect, but it's better than anything
> else I've seen.

So the security hole that allowed arbitrary code execution is fixed?
How do you use SSL together with SOAP?

Philippe

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

stephane ducasse-2
>> been an VM ignorant I cannot reply. Now I hope that this bug can
>> be fixed for 3.9 VMs
>> It seems to me that from an image perspective we can safely
>> release the image.
>> Now we should also move, so that people migrate their code on 3.9
>> and that we start
>> on 3.10 :)
> Thanks for your comment, Stef. That seems reasonable. However, are
> you sure that it's a VM issue? The VM crashes, but can it not be an
> issue from higher up?

Of course it can. But what can we do? do we have reproduceable bugs.
I do not think so. So we can stop 3.9 and postpone it but
I'm pretty sure it will not help.

VW has good VM because some smart guys are payed full time for that.
Now the community does not want to understand that
money (the stuff with believe has value) is a good way to make things
happening. So improvements will be slow and we should leave with
that. Now if every seasoned squeakers would put 100 $ on a pot we
could make that change. I tried with the foundation but failed. So
now I will watch (but sadly I know the answer).

Re: Squeak map colours

stephane ducasse-2
Philippe,

I think that you work too much with marcus :)
Been right does not mean to be bitter or negativist :)
We can change that. Step by step.
We did a lot in 3.9 and if people help/want we can do a lot in 3.10 too.

send fixes and we will consider them

Stef

>> > So Squeak is not meant to build commercial products (Impara,
>> > Smallthought, ... )?
>> >
>> > To be honest I have a hard time renumbering the last time
>> > SqueakMap worked and did not throw an obscure error at me.
>> >
>> > That's why I prefer to have all my packages in Monticello,
>> > just hit load and it works.
>> >
>> > Philippe
>>
>> Seaside is changing that, Squeak is perfect for writing commercial
>> web
>> applications.
>
> Not perfect. Not even close. Just look at the hacks introduced in
> Seaside2.7a1-avi.10 because blocks in Squeak suck.
>
> Do you know how many times I got bitten (doing commercial web
> applications) because I forgot to add a #fixTemps? It can tell you one
> thing, if Java 1.7 will get closures, it will not require #fixTemps.
>
> Then there are all these VM horror stories. And don't get me started
> on persistence, or XML, or SOAP, or concurrency, or ...  or IO in
> general, urls, ... or browsers
>
> Philippe

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

Brad Fuller
stephane ducasse wrote:

>>> been an VM ignorant I cannot reply. Now I hope that this bug can be
>>> fixed for 3.9 VMs
>>> It seems to me that from an image perspective we can safely release
>>> the image.
>>> Now we should also move, so that people migrate their code on 3.9
>>> and that we start
>>> on 3.10 :)
>> Thanks for your comment, Stef. That seems reasonable. However, are
>> you sure that it's a VM issue? The VM crashes, but can it not be an
>> issue from higher up?
>
> Of course it can. But what can we do? do we have reproduceable bugs. I
> do not think so.
The code is in the mantis defect that is 100% reproducible on my PC. I
think it's easy to duplicate or make other PCs crash.

> So we can stop 3.9 and postpone it but
> I'm pretty sure it will not help.
I think what you are saying is that 3.9 should be pushed forward because
there are few people to look at this problem. If this is the case, a
couple of comments to that:

* Tim's been assigned the defect.
* John said he'd look at the Mac version of it.
* what is the acceptance criteria for releasing a major version?

We don't know when Tim and John will be looking at the problem. But,
certainly a crash should be enough to stop and consider the release. No?

Thanks to Tim and John for looking into this!

> VW has good VM because some smart guys are payed full time for that.
> Now the community does not want to understand that
> money (the stuff with believe has value) is a good way to make things
> happening. So improvements will be slow and we should leave with that.
> Now if every seasoned squeakers would put 100 $ on a pot we could make
> that change. I tried with the foundation but failed. So now I will
> watch (but sadly I know the answer).
I'm a poor musician... but I could spare  a C note for the cause!. ;-)

RE: Squeak map colours

Ramon Leon-5
> Closure compiler makes all blocks slower (not what you want for
> Seaside) and doesn't work with exceptions.

Ok, true.

> So the security hole that allowed arbitrary code execution is fixed?

Didn't know about that, got a link to more info?

> How do you use SSL together with SOAP?
>
> Philippe

I'd use stunnel, since squeak doesn't do SSL, and stunnel works quite well.

Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

johnmci

On 25-Sep-06, at 12:33 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 21:11 , Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Brad Fuller wrote:
>>> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>>
>>> Wouldn't the VM Crash, that I and others reported, be a reason
>>> not to
>>> release until fixed? Mantis issue# 0005056
>>>
>>> brad
>> No comment on my question?
>
> I think, the current VM issues would be a good reason to pospone
> the release.
>
> Unfortunately, as it seems to me, the VM is quite poorly
> maintained. Probably the main reason being that the maintainers
> don't have enough time (or, in other words, because they are not
> paid to fix the problems). Another difficulty is that there are
> only few people that actually work on the VM (why?)

$ (or lack there of)

> Apart from the bug you mention (http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?
> id=0005056) there are others.

a pointer to memory is an unsigned value, not a signed integer. Tim
will gladly accept lots of $$ to fix that.

> For example:
> - http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4709 (VM blocks after memory
> consumtion exceeds ~120MB)

I added a note about http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3710, since
likely the problem is hitting the wall when attempting to grow the
image.

> - http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882 (VM lockup)

See added notes about setVMStatsTraceMessageSendLevels:
The Mac carbon VM and unix VMs all share the same code for aioPoll
and socket logic.
Since all the source code *is* available others are welcome to look
at the logic and try to figure out what is going on.

> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> PS: cc to vm-dev

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

timrowledge

On 25-Sep-06, at 1:42 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> Thanks for your comment, Stef. That seems reasonable. However,
>>> are you sure that it's a VM issue? The VM crashes, but can it not
>>> be an issue from higher up?
>>
>> Of course it can. But what can we do? do we have reproduceable
>> bugs. I do not think so.
> The code is in the mantis defect that is 100% reproducible on my
> PC. I think it's easy to duplicate or make other PCs crash.
>
>> So we can stop 3.9 and postpone it but
>> I'm pretty sure it will not help.
> I think what you are saying is that 3.9 should be pushed forward
> because there are few people to look at this problem. If this is
> the case, a couple of comments to that:

It doesn't affect my G5 mac so far. I have to say, 16 million float
additions in 61 mS is damn fast.

It would be helpful if someone could build a PC vm with a small
change in the code that prints the callstack after a problem like
this so that it doesn't cast the context address to a signed value
before printing it. I'm puzzled by the apparently large jump to
-2128068388 HandMorph>handleEvent:
-2128068768 MouseOverHandler>processMouseOver:
from
2032428416 HandMorph>handleEvent:
2032428116 HandMorph>processEvents

-2128068768 is 0x81283F60 and 2032428416 is 0x79246580; that's a bit
more of a difference than the usual 92 byte increment as we build the
stack sending messages. I don't see anything very odd about the code
in HandMorph>handleEvent: that would lead me to expect any message
sending funny business.

In the function printCallStackOf() that you should find in interp.c,
try changing
/* end findSelectorOfMethod:forReceiver: */;
                printNum(ctxt);
                print(" ");
                if (!(ctxt == home)) {
/* end findSelectorOfMethod:forReceiver: */;
                printf("%X", ctxt);
                print(" ");
                if (!(ctxt == home)) {

and see if it can give us the stack in hex.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Utinam coniurati te in foro interficiant! =
May conspirators assassinate you in the mall!

Re: [ANN] 7061 = Squeak 3.9 final

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno lun, 25/09/2006 alle 13.42 -0700, Brad Fuller ha scritto:

> >> Thanks for your comment, Stef. That seems reasonable. However, are
> >> you sure that it's a VM issue? The VM crashes, but can it not be an
> >> issue from higher up?
> >
> > Of course it can. But what can we do? do we have reproduceable bugs. I
> > do not think so.
> The code is in the mantis defect that is 100% reproducible on my PC. I
> think it's easy to duplicate or make other PCs crash.

I can reproduce it on my system, (Fedora Core 5, 3.9-7 vm, 3.8 image).

> > So we can stop 3.9 and postpone it but
> > I'm pretty sure it will not help.
> I think what you are saying is that 3.9 should be pushed forward because
> there are few people to look at this problem. If this is the case, a
> couple of comments to that:
>
> * Tim's been assigned the defect.
> * John said he'd look at the Mac version of it.
> * what is the acceptance criteria for releasing a major version?
>
> We don't know when Tim and John will be looking at the problem. But,
> certainly a crash should be enough to stop and consider the release. No?

How common is this single bug? Can't we just add a remark in a "known
problems" section, and say it will be fixed as soon as possible?

        Giovanni

1234