[ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

1234

[ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Max Leske
We want to announce Fuel release 1.8.1.

This release includes one fix: serialization / materialization of Date objects.
The rest of the work went into making fuel work with as many images as possible. All tests run green.

Supported and tested images:
Pharo 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0
Squeak 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4

Have fun!

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Max

Thank you for the announcment of Fuel. Where do I found the home page of it?

Happy New Year 2013

--Hannes

On 1/1/13, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We want to announce Fuel release 1.8.1.
>
> This release includes one fix: serialization / materialization of Date
> objects.
> The rest of the work went into making fuel work with as many images as
> possible. All tests run green.
>
> Supported and tested images:
> Pharo 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0
> Squeak 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4
>
> Have fun!

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Edgar De Cleene

On 1/1/13 3:36 PM, "Max Leske" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We want to announce Fuel release 1.8.1.
>
> This release includes one fix: serialization / materialization of Date
> objects.
> The rest of the work went into making fuel work with as many images as
> possible. All tests run green.
>
> Supported and tested images:
> Pharo 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0
> Squeak 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4
>
> Have fun!

Great news.
Happy new year to our cousins Pharopatas.

Edgar

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/1/13, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We want to announce Fuel release 1.8.1.
>
> This release includes one fix: serialization / materialization of Date
> objects.
> The rest of the work went into making fuel work with as many images as
> possible. All tests run green.
>
> Supported and tested images:
> Pharo 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0
> Squeak 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4

How can I load it into Squeak http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-12327.zip ?

(pointer to install script ?)

--Hannes

> Have fun!

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Stéphane Rollandin
> We want to announce Fuel release 1.8.1.

> Squeak 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4
>
> Have fun!

No much fun at the moment...

There is no link to the code from
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel

After googling a bit I found
http://www.squeaksource.com/@mSRd-eX5ASbjqRXt/ACY49SGQ where live a ton
of mcz of which I don't know what to do.

In short: can't play with Fuel because I can't load it in Squeak; either
I'm stupid or there is something wrong in the way you release your software.

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Frank Shearar-3
On 2 January 2013 14:41, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> We want to announce Fuel release 1.8.1.
>

>> Squeak 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4
>>
>> Have fun!
>

> No much fun at the moment...
>
> There is no link to the code from
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
>
> After googling a bit I found
> http://www.squeaksource.com/@mSRd-eX5ASbjqRXt/ACY49SGQ where live a ton of
> mcz of which I don't know what to do.
>
> In short: can't play with Fuel because I can't load it in Squeak; either I'm
> stupid or there is something wrong in the way you release your software.

Well, I'd imagine you'd use the ConfigurationOf. Perhaps this is what you want?

Installer ss3
    project: 'Fuel';
    install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) loadStable.

That last line might be wrong. Is that how you trigger/load the
configuration, Max?

frank

> Stef

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Stéphane Rollandin

> After googling a bit I found
> http://www.squeaksource.com/@mSRd-eX5ASbjqRXt/ACY49SGQ where live a ton
> of mcz of which I don't know what to do.

Oops actually there is nothing at all there now, the address was
temporary... kudos for Squeaksource for being so efficient in hiding
code and projects.

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Stéphane Rollandin
> Well, I'd imagine you'd use the ConfigurationOf. Perhaps this is what you want?

I have no idea what ConfigurationOf is.

> Installer ss3
>      project: 'Fuel';
>      install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) loadStable.
>
> That last line might be wrong. Is that how you trigger/load the
> configuration, Max?

It worked with

Installer ss3
      project: 'Fuel';
      install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: #stable)
     load.

... maybe this could appear in
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Installation ?

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

glenpaling
SqueakSource is deprecated.

"ATTENTION!
The creation of new projects has been disabled. If you would like to create a new project please consider moving to: http://ss3.gemstone.com/. It is still possible to access, commit, and edit existing projects."

Try: http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Fuel.html and: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel.

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Frank Shearar-3
On 2 January 2013 15:13, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Well, I'd imagine you'd use the ConfigurationOf. Perhaps this is what you
>> want?
>

> I have no idea what ConfigurationOf is.
>

>> Installer ss3
>>      project: 'Fuel';
>>      install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) loadStable.
>>
>> That last line might be wrong. Is that how you trigger/load the
>> configuration, Max?
>

> It worked with
>

> Installer ss3
>      project: 'Fuel';
>      install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: #stable)
>     load.
>
> ... maybe this could appear in
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Installation ?

Well, Max & Mariano have done the hard work already. I'd say it's up
to the Squeak community to add an SM entry and such.

If noone beats me to it, I'll try add one tonight. (I'm playing Lego
with my children at the moment!)

frank

> Stef

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Stéphane Rollandin
> SqueakSource is deprecated.
>
> "ATTENTION!
> The creation of new projects has been disabled.

This does not apply to me: I do not want to create a new project, I only
want to download existing code. Thanks for the pointer though.

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Stéphane Rollandin
> If noone beats me to it, I'll try add one tonight. (I'm playing Lego
> with my children at the moment!)

No hurry, and happy new year !

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

glenpaling
Stéphane Rollandin wrote
> SqueakSource is deprecated.
>
> "ATTENTION!
> The creation of new projects has been disabled.

This does not apply to me: I do not want to create a new project, I only
want to download existing code. Thanks for the pointer though.

Stef

You want to download an existing project with new code. ;)

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 07:31:40AM -0800, glenpaling wrote:

> St??phane Rollandin wrote
> >> SqueakSource is deprecated.
> >>
> >> "ATTENTION!
> >> The creation of new projects has been disabled.
> >
> > This does not apply to me: I do not want to create a new project, I only
> > want to download existing code. Thanks for the pointer though.
> >
> > Stef
>

> You want to download an existing project with /new/ code. ;)

There are many project that are actively maintained on SqueakSource,
including new code updates. This includes packages that are part of
the Squeak VM, and it also includes the projects that I personally
have contributed and that I continue to maintain on SqueakSource.

Dave

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Max Leske

On 02.01.2013, at 16:13, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Well, I'd imagine you'd use the ConfigurationOf. Perhaps this is what you want?
>
> I have no idea what ConfigurationOf is.
>
>> Installer ss3
>>     project: 'Fuel';
>>     install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) loadStable.
>>
>> That last line might be wrong. Is that how you trigger/load the
>> configuration, Max?
>
> It worked with
>
> Installer ss3
>     project: 'Fuel';
>     install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: #stable)
>    load.

Perfect. You could also use the provided load shortcut:

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) load.

If Installer doesn't work, this is the MC repo config:

MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Fuel'
        user: ''
        password: ''

> ... maybe this could appear in http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Installation ?
>

> Stef

The fuel website, including documentation, is here: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel.
Issues can be reported on the Google Code page: http://code.google.com/p/fuel/.

I will ask Mariano to update the installation section of the docs.

Cheers,
Max

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Frank Shearar-3
On 2 January 2013 16:03, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02.01.2013, at 16:13, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Well, I'd imagine you'd use the ConfigurationOf. Perhaps this is what you want?
>>
>> I have no idea what ConfigurationOf is.
>>
>>> Installer ss3
>>>     project: 'Fuel';
>>>     install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
>>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) loadStable.
>>>
>>> That last line might be wrong. Is that how you trigger/load the
>>> configuration, Max?
>>
>> It worked with
>>
>> Installer ss3
>>     project: 'Fuel';
>>     install: 'ConfigurationOfFuel-MaxLeske.178'.
>>
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) project version: #stable)
>>    load.
>
> Perfect. You could also use the provided load shortcut:
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFuel) load.
>
> If Installer doesn't work, this is the MC repo config:
>
> MCHttpRepository
>         location: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Fuel'
>         user: ''
>         password: ''
>>
>> ... maybe this could appear in http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Installation ?
>>

>> Stef
>>

> The fuel website, including documentation, is here: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel.
> Issues can be reported on the Google Code page: http://code.google.com/p/fuel/.
>
> I will ask Mariano to update the installation section of the docs.

I've added a package to SqueakMap, together with a release for 4.4.
This means my name's attached to the package, but I've tried to make
it clear it's not my work :)

It seems to work!

frank

> Cheers,
> Max

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Chris Muller-3
> I've added a package to SqueakMap, together with a release for 4.4.
> This means my name's attached to the package, but I've tried to make
> it clear it's not my work :)

No problemo, I just made it a Community Supported package.  Now anyone
will be able to add or update the release entry's.

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Max Leske
Thanks guys!

On 02.01.2013, at 20:13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I've added a package to SqueakMap, together with a release for 4.4.
>> This means my name's attached to the package, but I've tried to make
>> it clear it's not my work :)
>
> No problemo, I just made it a Community Supported package.  Now anyone
> will be able to add or update the release entry's.

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

[Test]

All 252 tests are green.

Thank you, Max, for your porting work. This is a very useful asset to
have in Squeak.

A thing which does not work:
The example in  the class comment of FLSerializer gives a walkback

| sourceArray  loadedArray |
sourceArray :=
        Array
                with: 'a string'
                with: Transcript
                with: [ Transcript show: 'a string' ].

"Store to the file"
FLSerializer serialize: sourceArray toFileNamed: 'example.FL'.

"Load from the file"
loadedArray := FLMaterializer materializeFromFileNamed: 'example.FL'.

Without having to serialize the block [ Transcript show: 'a string' ]
it runs fine.

| sourceArray  loadedArray |
sourceArray :=
        Array
                with: 'a string'
                with: Transcript.

"Store to the file"
FLSerializer serialize: sourceArray toFileNamed: 'example0.FL'.

"Load from the file"
loadedArray := FLMaterializer materializeFromFileNamed: 'example0.FL'.

--Hannes

On 1/2/13, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks guys!
>

> On 02.01.2013, at 20:13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> I've added a package to SqueakMap, together with a release for 4.4.
>>> This means my name's attached to the package, but I've tried to make
>>> it clear it's not my work :)
>>
>> No problemo, I just made it a Community Supported package.  Now anyone
>> will be able to add or update the release entry's.

Re: [ANN] Fuel 1.8.1

Max Leske
Thanks Hannes, I'll look at that.