[ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

12

[ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

Smalltalk flyers are located to http://damien.cassou.free.fr/. I plan
to create Squeak and Seaside flyers too.

I've added a paragraph about blocks on the flyer. The flyer is
translated to English, French, German and Spanish. I need a german and
a spanish for the translation of the following paragraph. Also, in the
Spanish version, there is no more free room for the squeak browser
picture. So, someone has to rephrase the spanish version.

If you have comments, feel free to answer this message.

\newcommand{\stBlockTerm}{Block}
\newcommand{\stBlockDefinition}{

  Block are used to delimit a sequence of parametrized instructions
  for which evaluation is deferred. They can also be seen as anonymous
  functions with or without arguments.

  \begin{displaycode}
    \#('Hello ' 'World')

    \hspace{1cm}  do: [:string | Transcript show: string].
  \end{displaycode}

  The example sends the message \code{do:} to an array of strings with
  a block as a parameter. The block is evaluated once for each element
  in the array. The block parameter \code{string} contains each
  element of the array, one after the other. As a result of the whole
  expression, the strings \code{'Hello '} then \code{'World'} are
  displayed in the transcript.

}

Thank you

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

hernanmd

  Block are used to delimit a sequence of parametrized instructions
  for which evaluation is deferred. They can also be seen as anonymous
  functions with or without arguments.

  The example sends the message \code{do:} to an array of strings with
  a block as a parameter. The block is evaluated once for each element
  in the array. The block parameter \code{string} contains each
  element of the array, one after the other. As a result of the whole
  expression, the strings \code{'Hello '} then \code{'World'} are
  displayed in the transcript.

Spanish (Castellano):

Los bloques son usados para delimitar una secuencia de instrucciones parametrizadas para las cuales su evaluación es diferida. Tambien pueden ser vistas como funciones anónimas con o sin argumentos.

...(example)

En el ejemplo se envía el mensaje \code{do:} a un arreglo de cadenas con un bloque como parámetro. El bloque es evaluado una vez para cada elemento en el arreglo. El parámetro del bloque \code{string} contiene cada elemento del arreglo, uno tras otro. Como resultado de la expresión entera, las cadenas \code{'Hello '} y luego \code{'World'} son visualizadas en el transcript.

Hernán

2007/12/2, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Hi Hernán,

thank you for your translation. However, Alejandro Fernandez sent me
another one two hours before. I'm sorry. What you can do if you still
want to help is discuss with him
([hidden email]) and work to improve this
version. Someone have to look at the full flyer and try to shorten
some
sentences to add more free space for the squeak browser screen shot.

Thank you very much for your help

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Damien Cassou-3
Thanks to all of you. The flyers are now updated.

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Bert Freudenberg
On Dec 4, 2007, at 1:52 , Damien Cassou wrote:

>   Block are used to delimit a sequence of parametrized instructions
>   for which evaluation is deferred. They can also be seen as anonymous
>   functions with or without arguments.

For an introduction to Smalltalk this sounds incredibly convoluted.

How about:

"Blocks are objects containing code that is not executed immediately.
They are the basis for control structures like conditionals or loops.
Also, blocks can be used to attach behavior, e.g., to menu items."

- Bert -

2007/12/4, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> On Dec 4, 2007, at 1:52 , Damien Cassou wrote:
>
> >   Block are used to delimit a sequence of parametrized instructions
> >   for which evaluation is deferred. They can also be seen as anonymous
> >   functions with or without arguments.
>

> For an introduction to Smalltalk this sounds incredibly convoluted.
>
> How about:
>
> "Blocks are objects containing code that is not executed immediately.
> They are the basis for control structures like conditionals or loops.
> Also, blocks can be used to attach behavior, e.g., to menu items."

Perfect for me. I'm updating the English and French versions. Can
someone give the equivalent German and Spanish?

Thank you Bert

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 12/4/07 7:18 AM, "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>> "Blocks are objects containing code that is not executed immediately.
>> They are the basis for control structures like conditionals or loops.
>> Also, blocks can be used to attach behavior, e.g., to menu items."
>
> Perfect for me. I'm updating the English and French versions. Can
> someone give the equivalent German and Spanish?
>
> Thank you Bert

Los Bloques son objetos que contienen código que no se ejecuta ediatamente.
Son la base para estructuras de control como condicionales (decisiones) o
lazos.
Se pueden utilizar para agregar comportamiento , ej, en los items de un
menu.

Aqui se ve un ejemplo
Here you see one example

Edgar

And I like examples...

On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:18 , Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2007/12/4, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>> On Dec 4, 2007, at 1:52 , Damien Cassou wrote:
>>
>>>   Block are used to delimit a sequence of parametrized instructions
>>>   for which evaluation is deferred. They can also be seen as
>>> anonymous
>>>   functions with or without arguments.
>>

>> For an introduction to Smalltalk this sounds incredibly convoluted.
>>
>> How about:
>>
>> "Blocks are objects containing code that is not executed immediately.
>> They are the basis for control structures like conditionals or loops.
>> Also, blocks can be used to attach behavior, e.g., to menu items."
>
> Perfect for me. I'm updating the English and French versions. Can
> someone give the equivalent German and Spanish?

German:

   Blöcke sind Objekte, die Code enthalten, der nicht sofort ausgeführt
   wird. Mit ihnen werden bedingte oder wiederholte Ausführung
   implementiert, und man kann damit das Verhalten z.B. von
Menüeinträgen
   festlegen.

   \begin{displaycode}
     \#('Hallo ' 'Welt')

     \hspace{1cm} do: [:wort | Transcript show: wort].
   \end{displaycode}

   Dieses Beispiel schickt die Nachricht \code{do:} an ein Feld von
   Zeichenketten und übergibt dabei einen Block. Dieser Block wird
   von \code{do:} mit jedem Feldelement ausgeführt, das dann innerhalb
   des Blocks im Parameter \code{wort} zur Verfügung steht. Als Ergebnis
   werden nacheinander die Worte \code{'Hallo '} und \code{'Welt'} im
   Transkriptfenster ausgegeben.

- Bert -

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 12/4/07 7:32 AM, "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> ediatamente.

Should be inmediatamente

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Alejandro Fernandez-5

Los Bloques son objetos que contienen código que no se ejecuta *ediatamente*.
Son la base para estructuras de control como condicionales (decisiones) o
lazos.
Se pueden utilizar para agregar comportamiento , ej, en los items de un
menu.

typo -> ediatamente should read "inmediatamente".

-Alejandro

--
Dr. Alejandro Fernández
LIFIA - Laboratorio de Investigación y Formación en Informática Avanzada

Phone: +54 221 4228252 Ext: 218
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Damien Cassou-3
Thank you Edgar. Flyers are updated: http://damien.cassou.free.fr/.

In the Spanish version, the code browser is really too small. It would
be cool if someone could shorten the sentences.

El 12/4/07 8:56 AM, "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Thank you Edgar. Flyers are updated: http://damien.cassou.free.fr/.

In the
> Spanish version, the code browser is really too small. It would
be cool if
> someone could shorten the sentences.

2007/12/4, Edgar J. De Cleene
> <[hidden email]>:

Could I add to FunSqueak ?
I cooking the image to show at Smalltalks 2007 (and update the one on
squeak.org), and this very good intro should be the first thing a "Squeak
foreigner" see.

If you agree , I do some Morph with it , and send here to last corrections.

Edgar

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Klaus D. Witzel
In the German translation, in the paragraph 'Bin"are Nachrichten', please
replace the word "verwandt" which in English translates to "being a
relative", by "verwendet" (which in English means "being used").

And in the paragraph "Entwicklungsumgebung" please replace the phrase "zu
browsen oder" by "zu navigieren und".

Thanks to all for this effective community effort, to Damien for his
patience, the initiative and the good work.

/Klaus

On Dec 4, 2007, at 12:58 , Damien Cassou wrote:

> Thank you Bert. I had to make the screen shot of the Squeak browser
> smaller to make the text fit in the flyer. I had the same problem with
> the French version and decided to remove the last sentence of the
> paragraph: "Also, blocks can be used to attach behavior, e.g., to menu
> items.". What do you prefer for the German version?
>
> 2007/12/4, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>    Blöcke sind Objekte, die Code enthalten, der nicht sofort
>> ausgeführt
>>    wird. Mit ihnen werden bedingte oder wiederholte Ausführung
>>    implementiert, und man kann damit das Verhalten z.B. von
>> Menüeinträgen
>>    festlegen.
>>
>>    \begin{displaycode}
>>      \#('Hallo ' 'Welt')
>>
>>      \hspace{1cm} do: [:wort | Transcript show: wort].
>>    \end{displaycode}
>>
>>    Dieses Beispiel schickt die Nachricht \code{do:} an ein Feld von
>>    Zeichenketten und übergibt dabei einen Block. Dieser Block wird
>>    von \code{do:} mit jedem Feldelement ausgeführt, das dann
>> innerhalb
>>    des Blocks im Parameter \code{wort} zur Verfügung steht. Als
>> Ergebnis
>>    werden nacheinander die Worte \code{'Hallo '} und \code{'Welt'} im
>>    Transkriptfenster ausgegeben.
>>
>> - Bert -

Iterative refinement is good ;-)

    Blöcke sind Code in eckigen Klammern, der nicht sofort
    ausgeführt wird, sondern bedingt, wiederholt oder später.

    \begin{displaycode}
      \#('Hallo ' 'Welt')

      \hspace{1cm} do: [:wort | Transcript show: wort].
    \end{displaycode}

    Dieses Beispiel schickt die Nachricht \code{do:} an ein Feld
    von Zeichenketten und übergibt dabei einen Block. Die
    Methode \code{do:} führt den Block mit jedem Feldelement aus,
    das als  Parameter \code{wort} übergeben wird und nacheinander
    \code{'Hallo '} und \code{'Welt'} ausgibt.

Back-porting to English:

   Blocks are code in square brackets that is not executed
   immediately, but conditionally, repeatedly, or deferred.

    \begin{displaycode}
      \#('Hello ' 'World')

      \hspace{1cm} do: [:string | Transcript show: string].
    \end{displaycode}

   This example sends the message code{do:} to an array of
   strings, passing a block. The method \code{do:} executes
   the block with each element of the array, passing it as
   parameter \code{string}, and showing \code{'Hallo '}
   and \code{'Welt'} in the transcript.

- Bert -

Re[2]: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Herbert König
Hello Damien,

DC> Thank you Edgar. Flyers are updated: http://damien.cassou.free.fr/.

in the German version, the section about blocks has some
inconsistencies:

In the code the block has the parameter "string" but the text refers to
the parameter "wort". And in English I'd say a block has arguments not
parameters and I feel the same in German. But I mainly read english
texts about programming.

Later on suddenly the word "Feld" is used instead of Array which is
used elsewhere.

I'd prefer "Array" over "Feld"

In general the german translation reads in parts, as if the German
translator felt this was a flyer about Squeak instead of Smalltalk.

This is much less so in the English version. Only I'd think the
Internet section could use one or two non Squeak sites and the
Examples of applications.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Re[2]: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Bert Freudenberg
On Dec 4, 2007, at 15:03 , Herbert König wrote:

> Hello Damien,
>
> DC> Thank you Edgar. Flyers are updated: http://
> damien.cassou.free.fr/.
>
> in the German version, the section about blocks has some
> inconsistencies:
>
> In the code the block has the parameter "string" but the text
> refers to
> the parameter "wort".

Then Damian forgot to replace the code snippet I sent.

> And in English I'd say a block has arguments not
> parameters and I feel the same in German. But I mainly read english
> texts about programming.

Please learn about the difference between arguments and parameters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_%28computer_science%29

> Later on suddenly the word "Feld" is used instead of Array which is
> used elsewhere.
>
> I'd prefer "Array" over "Feld"

Why? It's a German flyer after all. It's not specifically referring
to the class as in the previous example.

> In general the german translation reads in parts, as if the German
> translator felt this was a flyer about Squeak instead of Smalltalk.

Where is Squeak referenced in the German version and not the English
one?

> This is much less so in the English version. Only I'd think the
> Internet section could use one or two non Squeak sites and the
> Examples of applications.
>

> Cheers
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

- Bert -

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Damien Cassou-3
2007/12/4, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> El 12/4/07 8:56 AM, "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > Thank you Edgar. Flyers are updated: http://damien.cassou.free.fr/.
>
> In the
> > Spanish version, the code browser is really too small. It would
> be cool if
> > someone could shorten the sentences.
>
> 2007/12/4, Edgar J. De Cleene
> > <[hidden email]>:
>

> Could I add to FunSqueak ?
> I cooking the image to show at Smalltalks 2007 (and update the one on
> squeak.org), and this very good intro should be the first thing a "Squeak
> foreigner" see.
>
> If you agree , I do some Morph with it , and send here to last corrections.
I don't see any problem.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Klaus,

thank you very much for your fixes.

Bye

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Bert,

2007/12/4, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Iterative refinement is good ;-)
>
>     Blöcke sind Code in eckigen Klammern, der nicht sofort
>     ausgeführt wird, sondern bedingt, wiederholt oder später.
>
>     \begin{displaycode}
>       \#('Hallo ' 'Welt')
>
>       \hspace{1cm} do: [:wort | Transcript show: wort].
>     \end{displaycode}
>
>     Dieses Beispiel schickt die Nachricht \code{do:} an ein Feld
>     von Zeichenketten und übergibt dabei einen Block. Die
>     Methode \code{do:} führt den Block mit jedem Feldelement aus,
>     das als  Parameter \code{wort} übergeben wird und nacheinander
>     \code{'Hallo '} und \code{'Welt'} ausgibt.
>
> Back-porting to English:
>
>    Blocks are code in square brackets that is not executed
>    immediately, but conditionally, repeatedly, or deferred.
>
>     \begin{displaycode}
>       \#('Hello ' 'World')
>
>       \hspace{1cm} do: [:string | Transcript show: string].
>     \end{displaycode}
>
>    This example sends the message code{do:} to an array of
>    strings, passing a block. The method \code{do:} executes
>    the block with each element of the array, passing it as
>    parameter \code{string}, and showing \code{'Hallo '}
>    and \code{'Welt'} in the transcript.

I've updated the german version. Thank you.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: Re[2]: [ANN] Smalltalk flyers updated - German and Spanish translations required

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Herbert,

2007/12/4, Herbert König <[hidden email]>:
> This is much less so in the English version. Only I'd think the
> Internet section could use one or two non Squeak sites and the
> Examples of applications.

The flyer is open to modifications. Please give me internet websites,
books and I will add them. If you have specific german websites or
books, they can also be added in the German version only.

--
Damien Cassou

12