ANSI Smalltalk

12

ANSI Smalltalk

Bruce Badger
Fellow Smalltalkers,

(this is a one-off to every Smalltalk list I can think of.  Sorry for
the Spam-esqe nature of this)

Work is under way to get the Smalltalk ANSI standardization process
restarted.  This is intended to be an on-going process which delivers
a new version of the standard every 18 months to 2 years.

The participation of all Smalltalkers is invited.  The ANSI standard
should be driven by the people who use Smalltalk as well as people who
develop Smalltalk environments.  Work on the standard will all happen
through a mailing list:

The list archive is open and anyone may join the list.  The only up
front requirement being that you give your full name when signing up
so everyone knows who is who.

While anyone can get involved in discussion and informal votes, only
people who are registered with the ANSI project may formally vote.
Registration in this context means joining INCITS (the organization
which coordinates IT ANSI standards work), and that costs $1,200 USD.

Already we have the Smalltalk vendor companies getting involved.  We
also need people representing the user community.  If you work in a
company that uses Smalltalk please raise this ANSI work at your next
team meeting and see if you can have someone (or more than one) from
your project join the ANSI Smalltalk mailing list.  Perhaps your
company could fund the $1,200 to have someone be a voting member of
the committee too.

If you wish to discuss the ANSI project please either join the mailing
list or post a message to comp.lang.smalltalk.  The news group is the
cross-dialect discussion forum for Smalltalk and the ANSI standard is
most certainly cross-dialect.

Best regards,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Paolo Bonzini-2
stéphane ducasse wrote:
> who wants to sponsor me?
> I'm sorry but I do not have 1200 USD to be able to participate.

Since other people may seek sponsorship, and this message is going to a
lot of lists, it makes more sense to put these request on a single
place.  Therefore, I added you to the ANSI Smalltalk wiki at
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/ansi-people and mentioned that you are
looking for sponsorship (as I am :-> for that matter).

Anyway, you only need to pay in order to vote.  The process will be
public, details will be discussed on the ANSI Smalltalk mailing list (so
this is my last spam-esque message).

Paolo

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

ccrraaiigg

Hi all--

      Also note that the $1200 fee is annual, not one-time.

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

stephane ducasse
Ok at least if we can participate freely.

Stef

On 13 nov. 07, at 18:09, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> who wants to sponsor me?
>> I'm sorry but I do not have 1200 USD to be able to participate.
>
> Since other people may seek sponsorship, and this message is going
> to a lot of lists, it makes more sense to put these request on a
> single place.  Therefore, I added you to the ANSI Smalltalk wiki at
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/ansi-people and mentioned that you
> are looking for sponsorship (as I am :-> for that matter).
>
> Anyway, you only need to pay in order to vote.  The process will be
> public, details will be discussed on the ANSI Smalltalk mailing
> list (so this is my last spam-esque message).
>
> Paolo

RE: ANSI Smalltalk

Ivan Tomek
RE: ANSI Smalltalk

Hmm, that's strange. If I understand it correctly, will Smalltalk be a language of the rich?

Ivan

P.S. Emphasis below is mine.

> I'm sorry but I do not have 1200 USD to be able to participate.

Since other people may seek sponsorship, and this message is going to a

lot of lists, it makes more sense to put these request on a single

place.  Therefore, I added you to the ANSI Smalltalk wiki at

http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/ansi-people and mentioned that you are

looking for sponsorship (as I am :-> for that matter).

Anyway, you only need to pay in order to vote.  The process will be

public, details will be discussed on the ANSI Smalltalk mailing list (so

this is my last spam-esque message).

Paolo

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

tblanchard
Does it matter?  I don't think we bothered to implement the last ANSI
standard fully. :-)

On Nov 13, 2007, at 5:43 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> who wants to sponsor me?
> I'm sorry but I do not have 1200 USD to be able to participate.
>
> Stef
>
> On 13 nov. 07, at 10:50, Bruce Badger wrote:
>
>> Fellow Smalltalkers,
>>
>> (this is a one-off to every Smalltalk list I can think of.  Sorry for
>> the Spam-esqe nature of this)
>>
>> Work is under way to get the Smalltalk ANSI standardization process
>> restarted.  This is intended to be an on-going process which delivers
>> a new version of the standard every 18 months to 2 years.
>>
>> The participation of all Smalltalkers is invited.  The ANSI standard
>> should be driven by the people who use Smalltalk as well as people
>> who
>> develop Smalltalk environments.  Work on the standard will all happen
>> through a mailing list:

>> The list archive is open and anyone may join the list.  The only up
>> front requirement being that you give your full name when signing up
>> so everyone knows who is who.
>>
>> While anyone can get involved in discussion and informal votes, only
>> people who are registered with the ANSI project may formally vote.
>> Registration in this context means joining INCITS (the organization
>> which coordinates IT ANSI standards work), and that costs $1,200 USD.
>>
>> Already we have the Smalltalk vendor companies getting involved.  We
>> also need people representing the user community.  If you work in a
>> company that uses Smalltalk please raise this ANSI work at your next
>> team meeting and see if you can have someone (or more than one) from
>> your project join the ANSI Smalltalk mailing list.  Perhaps your
>> company could fund the $1,200 to have someone be a voting member of
>> the committee too.
>>
>> If you wish to discuss the ANSI project please either join the
>> mailing
>> list or post a message to comp.lang.smalltalk.  The news group is the
>> cross-dialect discussion forum for Smalltalk and the ANSI standard is
>> most certainly cross-dialect.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>     Bruce
>> --
>> Make the most of your skills - with OpenSkills
>> http://www.openskills.org/

Companies giving back? (was Re: ANSI Smalltalk)

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does it matter?  I don't think we bothered to implement the last ANSI
> standard fully. :-)
>
> On Nov 13, 2007, at 5:43 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
> > who wants to sponsor me?
> > I'm sorry but I do not have 1200 USD to be able to participate.
> >
> > Stef

Of course I agree with Todd - I like Squeak to move forward on its own
legs and not be stuck in any standard process. We have already added
Traits for example. BUT... of course it is "nice" if there is an ANSI
package around or whatever - it may help in porting efforts - but I
would never make it a goal.

Finally, if we DO want to participate in this, why don't say
Cincom/GemStone/other-company-making-money-off-of-Seaside (just a good
example) stand up and say... hey, "you guys - the Squeak community - can
participate through us on this!" - or "we can put in some of that money
for you!".

Just an idea.

regards, Göran

PS. I don't generally think companies "owe" anything - this is open
source after all - but I just want to put a finger on the fact that the
Smalltalk vendors are increasingly depending on the Squeak (or larger
"open source Smalltalk" community) community. So they actually have lots
of goodwill and also immediate practical benefits to gain here.

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Paolo Bonzini-2
Ivan Tomek wrote:
> Hmm, that's strange. If I understand it correctly, will Smalltalk be a
> language of the rich?

All standardized languages are languages of the companies that are
willing to pay.  I know of basically no one on a language standards
committee, who is paying the money out of their pockets.

Paolo

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Alejandro F. Reimondo
RE: ANSI Smalltalk
Ivan,
Smalltalk has been designed for all people (only a
 minimum of creativity is required after download).
It is also for people (like me) that consider Smalltalk
 more than aLanguage and know that it is not
 limited by the image contents nor aSet of definitions,
 so we do not need to constrain/present smalltalk
 to/as a language.
The number of alternatives with Smalltalk (as you know)
 is high and growing, it defines diversity; not fractionism.
We call ourselfves Smalltalkers and each day we are
 learning more from our differences.
cheers,
Ale.

Hmm, that's strange. If I understand it correctly, will Smalltalk be a language of the rich?

Ivan

P.S. Emphasis below is mine.

> I'm sorry but I do not have 1200 USD to be able to participate.

Since other people may seek sponsorship, and this message is going to a

lot of lists, it makes more sense to put these request on a single

place.  Therefore, I added you to the ANSI Smalltalk wiki at

http://smalltalk.gnu.org/wiki/ansi-people and mentioned that you are

looking for sponsorship (as I am :-> for that matter).

Anyway, you only need to pay in order to vote.  The process will be

public, details will be discussed on the ANSI Smalltalk mailing list (so

this is my last spam-esque message).

Paolo

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

dcorking
Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Ivan Tomek wrote:
> > Hmm, that's strange. If I understand it correctly, will Smalltalk be a
> > language of the rich?
>
> All standardized languages are languages of the companies that are
> willing to pay.  I know of basically no one on a language standards
> committee, who is paying the money out of their pockets.

I don't think companies pay for voting memberships of the R6RS
committee for Scheme.  Please correct me if I am wrong. (
http://www.r6rs.org/ratification/ )

If we expand the definition of standardized languages a bit, we
actually find some influential committees where companies only pay
expenses - they don't buy voting memberships.

TCP SMTP etc are not really languages, but companies do not pay for
voting rights at IETF, if I understand it correctly.

I can't think of another language that ratifies a new standard every
18 months. 5 to 10 years is more like the ones I follow.  I wonder why
Smalltalk will be different.

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Paolo Bonzini-2

> If we expand the definition of standardized languages a bit, we
> actually find some influential committees where companies only pay
> expenses - they don't buy voting memberships.

You are right.  But those are the ANSI rules.  Also, the Smalltalk-98
standard is (C) ANSI so unless we want to rewrite *everything*, it is
not so easy to pick a different standardization body.  I am not saying
that rewriting everything is necessarily a bad idea, but it would be
quite a big endeavour.

> I can't think of another language that ratifies a new standard every
> 18 months. 5 to 10 years is more like the ones I follow.  I wonder why
> Smalltalk will be different.

Language standards like C are reviewed every 5-10 years, but their scope
is much less broad and deep.  C++ is finalizing the next version, which
also puts them in the 10 year range, but the amount of changes between
C++98 and TR1 (which was out around 2003) was already huge.  In the end,
  for many languages the sheer cost of implementing the standard makes
it very hard to have a short period between successive revisions

The differences between successive Smalltalk standards would be more
comparable to the differences between successive versions of
Java/Python/Ruby (additional modules for different class libraries,
etc.).  The release cycles of those languages is indeed around 2 years.

Paolo

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

dcorking
On Nov 14, 2007 12:19 PM, Paolo Bonzini  wrote:

> The differences between successive Smalltalk standards would be more
> comparable to the differences between successive versions of
> Java/Python/Ruby (additional modules for different class libraries,
> etc.).  The release cycles of those languages is indeed around 2 years.

I thought that is what you had in mind: the outputs (if not the
process) will be something like those from JCP or the benevolent
dictatorships.

RE: Companies giving back? (was Re: ANSI Smalltalk)

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hey Göran!, all,

        I agree with Göran's position. Was well expressed, Squeak must take
care to keep moving forward with it's own legs. That should be a not
negotiable point for this comunity.

        Besides I'm also not sure about bounding Squeak to ANSI will add
real value for the Squeak experience. It can inject reliability at the cost
of an uncertain measure of extra inertia or resistance to grow. I'm not sure
about that being a good deal for Squeak due to lack of resources for that
priority.

        You also certainly got a point about comercial smalltalk vendors
taking direct benefits of Squeak. The most significative example is Seaside
being used in Visual Works and soon in Gemstone/S. They do have strategic
interest and responsibility on support at least that in Squeak. But this
fact is very good. We should ask/claim for some very reasonable support.
Without doubt this is an opportunity for us and them. And is not limited to
this ANSI comitee. Late binding technologies are gaining space at a solid
peace. Smalltalk has leader virtues in that regard so we have to show we
know that and use cleverly the support we can gain to keep inventing a best
future.

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

David Corking wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 12:19 PM, Paolo Bonzini  wrote:
>> The differences between successive Smalltalk standards would be more
>> comparable to the differences between successive versions of
>> Java/Python/Ruby (additional modules for different class libraries,
>> etc.).  The release cycles of those languages is indeed around 2 years.
>
> I thought that is what you had in mind: the outputs (if not the
> process) will be something like those from JCP or the benevolent
> dictatorships.

I think so.  The output will be a formal standard, but the process that
is being slowly outlined (public discussion, etc.) reminds me of JCP,
PEP, RCR, etc. (notice I omitted Perl from my list above).  Nothing is
decided yet, so I'm only voicing my current impressions.

Paolo

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Note that ANSI = AMERICAN National Standards Institute

Does it make sense for non US people to participate?

-- Jecel (from Brazil)

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

jgfoster
Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> Note that ANSI = AMERICAN National Standards Institute
> Does it make sense for non US people to participate?
> -- Jecel (from Brazil)
Does it make sense for non-French people to use the metric system? (See
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mmetric.html.)

James (not from France)

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Bert Freudenberg

On Nov 14, 2007, at 18:06 , James Foster wrote:

> Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>> Note that ANSI = AMERICAN National Standards Institute
>> Does it make sense for non US people to participate?
>> -- Jecel (from Brazil)
> Does it make sense for non-French people to use the metric system?
> (See http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mmetric.html.)
>
> James (not from France)

Are you aware "metric system" is laymen's terms for the INTERNATIONAL
Standard ISO 31?

- Bert - (from Germany)

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Bruce Badger
On 14/11/2007, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note that ANSI = AMERICAN National Standards Institute
> Does it make sense for non US people to participate?

I think so.  This is not a matter of jingoism but rather a matter of
reusing what we already have instead of starting from scratch.

ANSI/INCITS provide a framework for arriving at a documented and
recognised consensus.  That's what we need.  And BTW, there is a
mechanism for taking an ANSI standard on to ISO so we can do that if
we think it's worthwhile.

Bruce
(Australian & British currently working in the UK)
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Jason Johnson-5
On Nov 14, 2007 1:01 PM, David Corking <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think companies pay for voting memberships of the R6RS
> committee for Scheme.  Please correct me if I am wrong. (
> http://www.r6rs.org/ratification/ )

R6RS is probably a bad example since everyone seems to hate it. :)

Re: ANSI Smalltalk

Colin Putney

On 14-Nov-07, at 10:11 AM, Bruce Badger wrote:

> On 14/11/2007, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that ANSI = AMERICAN National Standards Institute
>> Does it make sense for non US people to participate?
>
> I think so.  This is not a matter of jingoism but rather a matter of
> reusing what we already have instead of starting from scratch.

Whether that's valuable or not depends on what you want to accomplish.

What do you want to accomplish?

Colin

12