All-In-One updated with Mac VM

123

All-In-One updated with Mac VM

Chris Muller-3
I'm not sure where we left off in the other thread -- I don't want to
jump ahead of Tobias or Glen, but just in case I went ahead and
uploaded a new All-In-One

   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip

which replaces the Mac VM with Eliots latest.  Where .bundle
directories existed in the old and new, I first removed the entire old
before copying in Eliots (so it wouldn't "merge" those directories).
Eliot said the extra plugins from the prior VM should work as-is.

The only two files left intact from the old VM are:

  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt
  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt.sig

but these might be the ones we replace when we sign it.  Craig has
volunteered to do this but maybe a Mac owner should at least give it a
whirl first really quick.

 - Chris

Re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

Tobias Pape
Hi Chris
On 04.03.2014, at 22:18, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure where we left off in the other thread -- I don't want to
> jump ahead of Tobias or Glen, but just in case I went ahead and
> uploaded a new All-In-One
>
>   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip
>
> which replaces the Mac VM with Eliots latest.  Where .bundle
> directories existed in the old and new, I first removed the entire old
> before copying in Eliots (so it wouldn't "merge" those directories).
> Eliot said the extra plugins from the prior VM should work as-is.
>
> The only two files left intact from the old VM are:
>
>  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt
>  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt.sig
>
> but these might be the ones we replace when we sign it.  Craig has
> volunteered to do this but maybe a Mac owner should at least give it a
> whirl first really quick.
>
> - Chris

Chris, please consider this:

My mail from 02.03.2014, at 23:03,

> So I walked throu all that.
>
> The info.plist is fixed,
> Cog 4776 put in place.
>
> but its >20MB bigger than the previous AIOs.
>
> Why?
> - 3 BochsIA34 plugins (one for each aritecture)
>  between 1,3 and 5,3 MB each
> - Changes file of about 15 megs
>
> Eliot, do you think we should ship the 4.5 aio with bochs plugin or
> is it only really useful for developing Cog?
>
> Chris, can you pleas do a new image with condensed changes?
>
> Smalltalk condenseChanges
>
> You probably want to put that into the release process (I thought
> it was already, no?)
>
> Best
> -Tobias
[…]

Also, I have a fitting info.plist that fits the cog vm, if you are interested…

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris
On 04.03.2014, at 22:18, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure where we left off in the other thread -- I don't want to
> jump ahead of Tobias or Glen, but just in case I went ahead and
> uploaded a new All-In-One
>
>   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip
>
> which replaces the Mac VM with Eliots latest.  Where .bundle
> directories existed in the old and new, I first removed the entire old
> before copying in Eliots (so it wouldn't "merge" those directories).
> Eliot said the extra plugins from the prior VM should work as-is.
>
> The only two files left intact from the old VM are:
>
>  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt
>  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt.sig
>
> but these might be the ones we replace when we sign it.  Craig has
> volunteered to do this but maybe a Mac owner should at least give it a
> whirl first really quick.
>
> - Chris

Chris, please consider this:

My mail from 02.03.2014, at 23:03,

> So I walked throu all that.
>
> The info.plist is fixed,
> Cog 4776 put in place.
>
> but its >20MB bigger than the previous AIOs.
>
> Why?
>       - 3 BochsIA34 plugins (one for each aritecture)
>         between 1,3 and 5,3 MB each
>       - Changes file of about 15 megs
>
> Eliot, do you think we should ship the 4.5 aio with bochs plugin or
> is it only really useful for developing Cog?
>
> Chris, can you pleas do a new image with condensed changes?
>
>       Smalltalk condenseChanges
>
> You probably want to put that into the release process (I thought
> it was already, no?)
>
> Best
>       -Tobias

Agreed.  The Bochs plugins can be left out and perhaps made available for download via a link?

Condensing the changes file would be possible *if* we'd changed the code to preserve history but we haven't.  I'll do this b4 the next release.

[…]

Also, I have a fitting info.plist that fits the cog vm, if you are interested…

--
best,
Eliot

On 04.03.2014, at 22:44, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chris
> On 04.03.2014, at 22:18, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where we left off in the other thread -- I don't want to
> > jump ahead of Tobias or Glen, but just in case I went ahead and
> > uploaded a new All-In-One
> >
> >   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip
> >
> > which replaces the Mac VM with Eliots latest.  Where .bundle
> > directories existed in the old and new, I first removed the entire old
> > before copying in Eliots (so it wouldn't "merge" those directories).
> > Eliot said the extra plugins from the prior VM should work as-is.
> >
> > The only two files left intact from the old VM are:
> >
> >  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt
> >  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt.sig
> >
> > but these might be the ones we replace when we sign it.  Craig has
> > volunteered to do this but maybe a Mac owner should at least give it a
> > whirl first really quick.
> >
> > - Chris
> >

> Chris, please consider this:
>
> My mail from 02.03.2014, at 23:03,
>
> > So I walked throu all that.
> >
> > The info.plist is fixed,
> > Cog 4776 put in place.
> >
> > but its >20MB bigger than the previous AIOs.
> >
> > Why?
> >       - 3 BochsIA34 plugins (one for each aritecture)
> >         between 1,3 and 5,3 MB each
> >       - Changes file of about 15 megs
> >
> > Eliot, do you think we should ship the 4.5 aio with bochs plugin or
> > is it only really useful for developing Cog?
> >
> > Chris, can you pleas do a new image with condensed changes?
> >
> >       Smalltalk condenseChanges
> >
> > You probably want to put that into the release process (I thought
> > it was already, no?)
> >
> > Best
> >       -Tobias
>
> Agreed.  The Bochs plugins can be left out and perhaps made available for download via a link?
>
> Condensing the changes file would be possible *if* we'd changed the code to preserve history but we haven't.  I'll do this b4 the next release.
Seeing the past changes files, it looks like condensing was part of the former release procedure,
am I right?

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tobias,

>> Chris, please consider this:
>>
>> My mail from 02.03.2014, at 23:03,

--snip--

Yes, sorry, I did consider your mail..  A while ago, in fact.

   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-January/176249.html

We did not create new sources since V41 because a couple of us have
ideas about what we want that to do.  Eliot has an idea and I,
personally, want to avoid "island" releases where each method version
is totally alone with no context from its prior version.  I want each
release to have the current version for each method, plus the version
from the prior release.

Sounds like there is some motivation to work on this for 4.6.  We
haven't cared about "size" much last few releases but I know it will
be a factor in 4.6 or soon thereafter, where we'll address not just
.changes but other aspects as well.

Regards,
  Chris

re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

ccrraaiigg

Hi Chris--

     Signed by "Mac Developer: Craig Latta (4QTQUN2427)", verify with
shell command:

     codesign --display --verbose=4 Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app

     New zipfile at [1].

     thanks!

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/ke77vol (dropbox.com)

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

On 04.03.2014, at 23:23, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
>>> Chris, please consider this:
>>>
>>> My mail from 02.03.2014, at 23:03,
>
> --snip--
>
> Yes, sorry, I did consider your mail..  A while ago, in fact.
>
>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-January/176249.html
>
> We did not create new sources since V41 because a couple of us have
> ideas about what we want that to do.  Eliot has an idea and I,
> personally, want to avoid "island" releases where each method version
> is totally alone with no context from its prior version.  I want each
> release to have the current version for each method, plus the version
> from the prior release.
>
> Sounds like there is some motivation to work on this for 4.6.  We
> haven't cared about "size" much last few releases but I know it will
> be a factor in 4.6 or soon thereafter, where we'll address not just
> .changes but other aspects as well.
Ok, so, when condensing the changes file for the past releases, we lost method
histories, right?

Best
        -Tobias

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 04.03.2014, at 23:23, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
>>> Chris, please consider this:
>>>
>>> My mail from 02.03.2014, at 23:03,
>
> --snip--
>
> Yes, sorry, I did consider your mail..  A while ago, in fact.
>
>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-January/176249.html
>
> We did not create new sources since V41 because a couple of us have
> ideas about what we want that to do.  Eliot has an idea and I,
> personally, want to avoid "island" releases where each method version
> is totally alone with no context from its prior version.  I want each
> release to have the current version for each method, plus the version
> from the prior release.
>
> Sounds like there is some motivation to work on this for 4.6.  We
> haven't cared about "size" much last few releases but I know it will
> be a factor in 4.6 or soon thereafter, where we'll address not just
> .changes but other aspects as well.

Ok, so, when condensing the changes file for the past releases, we lost method
histories, right?

If we had done so, yes.  But as I understand it this has not been done.  For example, if you look at the 4.3 release's changes file you'll see it's full of droppings for running the TestRunner.

Best
        -Tobias

--
best,
Eliot

On 05.03.2014, at 00:14, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Sounds like there is some motivation to work on this for 4.6.  We
>> > haven't cared about "size" much last few releases but I know it will
>> > be a factor in 4.6 or soon thereafter, where we'll address not just
>> > .changes but other aspects as well.
>>
>> Ok, so, when condensing the changes file for the past releases, we lost method
>> histories, right?
>>
> If we had done so, yes.  But as I understand it this has not been done.  For example, if you look at the 4.3 release's changes file you'll see it's full of droppings for running the TestRunner.

Then I fail to understand why the 4.5 changes file is
ca 15 MB before condensing and ca 5 after, but
4.3/4.4 is around 5 MB (apparently) without condensing.
  What do I miss?

Best
        -Tobias

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

On 05.03.2014, at 00:14, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Sounds like there is some motivation to work on this for 4.6.  We
>> > haven't cared about "size" much last few releases but I know it will
>> > be a factor in 4.6 or soon thereafter, where we'll address not just
>> > .changes but other aspects as well.
>>
>> Ok, so, when condensing the changes file for the past releases, we lost method
>> histories, right?
>>
> If we had done so, yes.  But as I understand it this has not been done.  For example, if you look at the 4.3 release's changes file you'll see it's full of droppings for running the TestRunner.

Then I fail to understand why the 4.5 changes file is
ca 15 MB before condensing and ca 5 after, but
4.3/4.4 is around 5 MB (apparently) without condensing.
  What do I miss?

I don't have 4.4 handy but I see 4.3 as 5.3Mb before condensing and 2.8Mb after.  So I guess less droppings were created in the 4.3 development process than in 4.5 :-)

--
best,
Eliot

Re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

timrowledge

On 04-03-2014, at 3:42 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  What do I miss?

Well the first snapshot reference in the changes file dates back to 24 May 2010, so a lot of code has been changed since then.
Taking a quick scan from line 100198 to 127856 is a huge list of removeSelector doIts. That's 700kb just there. Later on there is 100kb of traits related doIts. It just goes on and on. I see vast lists of language spec arrays repeatedly.

tim
Document the code?  Why do you think they call it "code?"

On 05.03.2014, at 01:01, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi

> >> Ok, so, when condensing the changes file for the past releases, we lost method
> >> histories, right?
> >>
> > If we had done so, yes.  But as I understand it this has not been done.  For example, if you look at the 4.3 release's changes file you'll see it's full of droppings for running the TestRunner.
> >

> Then I fail to understand why the 4.5 changes file is
> ca 15 MB before condensing and ca 5 after, but
> 4.3/4.4 is around 5 MB (apparently) without condensing.
>   What do I miss?
>
> I don't have 4.4 handy but I see 4.3 as 5.3Mb before condensing and 2.8Mb after.  So I guess less droppings were created in the 4.3 development process than in 4.5 :-)
That might be it.
Thank you

Best
        -tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

Chris Muller-3
If I remove the Bochs plugins, will the signature still work?

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris--
>
>      Signed by "Mac Developer: Craig Latta (4QTQUN2427)", verify with
> shell command:
>
>      codesign --display --verbose=4 Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app
>
>      New zipfile at [1].
>

>      thanks!
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/ke77vol (dropbox.com)
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +31 6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

Chris Muller-4
Yes, but not since 4.1.  :)

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04.03.2014, at 23:23, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobias,

>> --snip--
>>
>> Yes, sorry, I did consider your mail..  A while ago, in fact.
>>
>>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-January/176249.html
>>
>> We did not create new sources since V41 because a couple of us have
>> ideas about what we want that to do.  Eliot has an idea and I,
>> personally, want to avoid "island" releases where each method version
>> is totally alone with no context from its prior version.  I want each
>> release to have the current version for each method, plus the version
>> from the prior release.
>>
>> Sounds like there is some motivation to work on this for 4.6.  We
>> haven't cared about "size" much last few releases but I know it will
>> be a factor in 4.6 or soon thereafter, where we'll address not just
>> .changes but other aspects as well.
>
> Ok, so, when condensing the changes file for the past releases, we lost method
> histories, right?
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

ccrraaiigg

> If I remove the Bochs plugins, will the signature still work?

     It appears so:

***

craig@rhythm Downloads 3> \rm Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/BochsIA32Plugin.dll
craig@rhythm Downloads 4> codesign --display --verbose=4
Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app
Executable=/Users/craig/Downloads/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
VM Opt
Identifier=org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne44
Format=bundle with Mach-O universal (i386 ppc7450)
CodeDirectory v=20100 size=6396 flags=0x0(none) hashes=313+3
location=embedded
Hash type=sha1 size=20
CDHash=a6bf14a8e54ba530db4e6538d63d25c7556dfc4a
Signature size=4309
Authority=Mac Developer: Craig Latta (4QTQUN2427)
Authority=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Signed Time=Mar 4, 2014, 11:12:01 PM
Info.plist entries=56
Sealed Resources version=2 rules=12 files=141
Internal requirements count=1 size=184

***

     I'm happy to sign and test as necessary.

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

Tobias Pape
How about this one?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14917452/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app.zip

Best
        -Tobias

On 05.03.2014, at 08:33, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> If I remove the Bochs plugins, will the signature still work?
>
>     It appears so:
>
> ***
>
> craig@rhythm Downloads 3> \rm Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/BochsIA32Plugin.dll
> craig@rhythm Downloads 4> codesign --display --verbose=4
> Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app
> Executable=/Users/craig/Downloads/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
> VM Opt
> Identifier=org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne44
> Format=bundle with Mach-O universal (i386 ppc7450)
> CodeDirectory v=20100 size=6396 flags=0x0(none) hashes=313+3
> location=embedded
> Hash type=sha1 size=20
> CDHash=a6bf14a8e54ba530db4e6538d63d25c7556dfc4a
> Signature size=4309
> Authority=Mac Developer: Craig Latta (4QTQUN2427)
> Authority=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority
> Authority=Apple Root CA
> Signed Time=Mar 4, 2014, 11:12:01 PM
> Info.plist entries=56
> Sealed Resources version=2 rules=12 files=141
> Internal requirements count=1 size=184
>
> ***
>
>     I'm happy to sign and test as necessary.
>

> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415 287 3547 (no SMS)

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

ccrraaiigg

Hi Tobias--

> How about this one?
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14917452/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app.zip

***

craig@rhythm Downloads 11> codesign --display --verbose=4
Squeak-4.5-All-in-One\ 2.app
Executable=/Users/craig/Downloads/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One
2.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
Identifier=org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne45
Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (i386)
CodeDirectory v=20100 size=8576 flags=0x2(adhoc) hashes=422+3
location=embedded
Hash type=sha1 size=20
CDHash=af0fb19300e8953d59f28c1e4a2599936d9fda8f
Signature=adhoc
Info.plist entries=56
Sealed Resources=none
Internal requirements count=0 size=12
craig@rhythm Downloads 12>

***

     I don't know how ad-hoc signatures, with no certificate authority,
interact with the Gatekeeper stuff in Mac OS.

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

On 05.03.2014, at 13:18, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias--
>
>> How about this one?
>>
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14917452/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app.zip
>
> ***
>
> craig@rhythm Downloads 11> codesign --display --verbose=4
> Squeak-4.5-All-in-One\ 2.app
> Executable=/Users/craig/Downloads/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One
> 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
> Identifier=org.squeak.SqueakAllInOne45
> Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (i386)
> CodeDirectory v=20100 size=8576 flags=0x2(adhoc) hashes=422+3
> location=embedded
> Hash type=sha1 size=20
> CDHash=af0fb19300e8953d59f28c1e4a2599936d9fda8f
> Signature=adhoc
> Info.plist entries=56
> Sealed Resources=none
> Internal requirements count=0 size=12
> craig@rhythm Downloads 12>
>
> ***
>
>     I don't know how ad-hoc signatures, with no certificate authority,
> interact with the Gatekeeper stuff in Mac OS.

what does 'spctl --assess -v Squeak-4.5-All-in-One\ 2.app' say?
(given, that 'spctl --status' says 'assessments enabled')

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

glenpaling
Chris Muller-3 wrote
I'm not sure where we left off in the other thread -- I don't want to
jump ahead of Tobias or Glen, but just in case I went ahead and
uploaded a new All-In-One

   http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip

which replaces the Mac VM with Eliots latest.  Where .bundle
directories existed in the old and new, I first removed the entire old
before copying in Eliots (so it wouldn't "merge" those directories).
Eliot said the extra plugins from the prior VM should work as-is.

The only two files left intact from the old VM are:

  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt
  ./Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt.sig

but these might be the ones we replace when we sign it.  Craig has
volunteered to do this but maybe a Mac owner should at least give it a
whirl first really quick.

 - Chris
Chris, I recommend you take the Info.plist from the Cog VM package rather than from the older All-In-Ones. There are quite a few differences (that I don't understand). There's may be information for the Cog VM that's different than for the old interpreted VM.

I'll test the latest 4.5 signed by Craig.

Glen

re: All-In-One updated with Mac VM

ccrraaiigg

> what does 'spctl --assess -v Squeak-4.5-All-in-One\ 2.app' say?

     With "Allow apps downloaded from Mac App Store" or "Allow apps
downloaded from Mac App Store and identified developers" in the System
Preferences, it's:

***

craig@rhythm documents 34> spctl --assess -v Squeak-4.5-All-in-One\ 2.app
Squeak-4.5-All-in-One 2.app: invalid resource directory (directory or
signature have been modified)
craig@rhythm documents 35>

***

     If I "Allow apps downloaded from anywhere" it's:

***

craig@rhythm documents 36> spctl --assess -v Squeak-4.5-All-in-One\ 2.app
Squeak-4.5-All-in-One 2.app: accepted
override=security disabled