Amber Skeleton 0.9

1 message Options

Amber Skeleton 0.9

Dale Henrichs
I just announced[1] the Amber Skeleton project[2] over on the Amber list, but I thought the FileTree/Cypress folks might be interested.

The Amber Skeleton project uses Pharo as a File Server for Amber (based on Laurent Laffont's Amber OneClick work), but the cool thing is that the Amber Skeleton project supports saving/loading Amber code using the Cypress package format. This means that we can begin to share source code between Amber and Pharo, Squeak, etc.

The other cool thing is that the Amber Skeleton project is an example of a Pharo project that is created with git in mind.

  After cloning the Amber Skeleton project, you download and install a virgin
  Pharo image of your choice, then run an install script that builds a
  custom AmberServer image for the project. The FileTree support is
  bootstrapped from an .mcz file and from there on out, the rest of the
  code is installed from Git repositories.

At this point in time this is all done without Metacello ... I needed a sample github project to work with that involves platform-specific code to test out different Scripting API ideas.

The installation is done with a simple filein script[4] that uses Gofer. Versions for the dependent projects is specified using `git submodules`.

I've also got a ton of documentation in the form of README's in nearly every directory...still have to comment the classes:)...but since class comments in Cypress/FileTree support markdown, I will comment the classes by extracting pertinent references/examples from my READMEs.

I think this project should be interesting from the perspective of the kinds of things that can be done if you are working with Pharo, directory structures, git and github.

A Squeak variant of the Amber server would be an instructive project in terms of dealing with project branching and where it would/should be applied.

Dale

[1] http://forum.world.st/ANN-Amber-Skeleton-0-9-tt4579200.html
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/amber-skeleton
[3] http://forum.world.st/ANN-Amber-0-9-1-OneClick-td4378569.html