Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Building-With versus Building-on"

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Serge

https://ummisco.github.io/kendrick/
https://github.com/UMMISCO/kendrick

:-)

Maybe you can refer to a report how it was used?

--Hannes

On 10/14/17, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 11:50 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/12/17, Andrew Glynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > https://medium.com/@dasein42/building-with-versus-building-on-c51aa3034
>> > c71
>> > This is an article not specifically about Pharo, rather on the state of
>> > the industry
>> > in general and how it got that way, but positing Pharo as a way to
>> > learn
>> > building-on rather than building-with, where in the latter case on
>> > every project you start at essentially the same place.
>> > As a result it does put in front of people a fair amount of info on
>> > Pharo, and challenges them to try it.
>> >
>> > cheersAndrew Glynn
>>
>>
>> Thank you for this comprehensive report.
>>
>> Do you have a reference for more info about the epidemiology project
>> which was completed in only a months time?  [1]
>>
>> -- Hannes
>>
>>
>>
>> [1] <citation>
>> After Google spent millions failing to solve the epedemiology of the
>> Ebola outbreak, an application built with it, or rather on it, by one
>> developer in an extremely short timespan (under a month), successfully
>> predicted the path and allowed it to be stopped by vaccinating those
>> in the most likely path. Google themselves took notice, and their Dart
>> language, while using syntax similar to the JavaScript many of their
>> developers are familiar with, uses the object model from the OSS
>> Smalltalk. The problem is not simply a matter of how much engineers
>> enjoy their work, but it can be a life or death matter, as it was in
>> the case of the Toyota microcode.
>> </citation>
>>
>> ​
> Yes I'm also interested by this.
> Never heard this before :-)
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC/UY1)
> "Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for
> machines to execute."http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
In reply to this post by aglynn42
Hi,

On 13/10/17 19:39, Andrew Glynn wrote:
> Pharo is a great OSS Smalltalk, IMHO by the best to date (Squeak
> was/is good, but the LaF was never professional enough for it to be
> taken as seriously as it deserves, it just looks too much like a toy
> although in reality it's very powerful). Having the capability to
> build-on a reliable, attractive and enjoyable base without signing
> over my great-grand-child's first born is fantastic, and a great
> achievement for those who accomplished it.

What is the LaF ?

Cheers,

Offray

Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Ben Coman

I'm think that is important to remove barriers for developers coming from other environments based on files for development and documentation, but my path is different, is teaching people like journalist, hacktivist who has no previous or deep experience into developing. Starting with them, using Live Coding and mixing it with interactive documentation, scripting, and agile visualization, has been a powerful enabler. No need to think in the established tradition, because we're building our own, using alternative infrastructure to bootstrap ourselves into alternative futures.

Cheers,

Offray

On 12/10/17 21:55, Ben Coman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

The more I use Pharo, the less I use web documentation.

That is a familiar path, but still an obstacle for people to get over in trying Pharo - i.e. its a barrier of entry.  I've previously referred to this article by JoelOnSoftware, but to pull out a key part... "Think of these barriers as an obstacle course that people have to run before you can count them as your customers. If you start out with a field of 1000 runners, about half of them will trip on the tires; half of the survivors won’t be strong enough to jump the wall; half of those survivors will fall off the rope ladder into the mud, and so on, until only 1 or 2 people actually overcome all the hurdles. With 8 or 9 barriers, everybody will have one non-negotiable deal killer.  This calculus means that eliminating barriers to switching is the most important thing you have to do if you want to take over an existing market, because eliminating just one barrier will likely double your sales. Eliminate two barriers, and you’ll double your sales again."

For example, Stef mentioned that the Pharo web docs were dropped because were't used much.  But perhaps their value is not for regular use by the community, but more for outsiders evaluating Pharo, or newcomers transitioning from their old workflow to a Pharo one.  In that case their value eliminating one barrier of entry is much greater than measured from the number of page hits.

btw, What I like about Richards's articles is that... most of our community's articles are for people already using Pharo, even if only a newcomer of a few days working through an introductory tutorial.  Richard's articles target outsiders and one of the side benefits for *me* is that it pulls in critical outside perspectives to remind me of the barriers-of-entry stopping people using Pharo.  

Take for instance the common angst people have against working in an Image in Smalltalk.  There are some legitimate concerns with ending up in a state you can't recreate, which we are addressing this with the bootstrapping projects.  But I think we might publicize this better to outsiders. For example... Mr Smith knows nothing about Smalltalk and takes an interest in Pharo.  Smith discusses with colleague Jones who presents a poor opinion of the Smalltalk Image approach. So Smith never tries Pharo!  Alternatively, if Smith has already read in an FAQ about this common argument and how we address it by our bootstrap process, he can inform Jones', and maybe now we've got two curious newcomers.  

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
In reply to this post by Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
LaF = Look and Feel.

If you look at recent versions LaF of Squeak has improved as well.
In fact considerably compared to 3.8/3.9 where Pharo branched off.

On 10/16/17, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
> On 13/10/17 19:39, Andrew Glynn wrote:
>> Pharo is a great OSS Smalltalk, IMHO by the best to date (Squeak
>> was/is good, but the LaF was never professional enough for it to be
>> taken as seriously as it deserves, it just looks too much like a toy
>> although in reality it's very powerful). Having the capability to
>> build-on a reliable, attractive and enjoyable base without signing
>> over my great-grand-child's first born is fantastic, and a great
>> achievement for those who accomplished it.
>
> What is the LaF ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
In reply to this post by kilon.alios
So I finally built the Python live coding library I was talking about. I named it "pylivecoding"

Live codig does mean in this case , replace methosd with updated ones for each instance of a class. Same thing you would expect in Pharo. Very simple to use , only 50 lines of code.

it can also work with not only modifying methods , but aslo renaming them and removing or adding new ones. I have tested it during the day, seems to work ok but of course more thoroug testing needs to be done. 

Of course nowhere near the Pharo experience. But the main idea is there, you open yoru favorite editor IDE, you code away and at the same time you see your code come alive with no delays or weird side effects/ requirements.

Of course it works with debuggers too, I use it from my python ide, python debugger and iptyhon all the time. Again usual workflow , debug, correct, continue. No issues so far.  

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 4:37 AM Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don’t care about Python vs Pharo debate. I love both I use both.

My ultimate goal is to unite the two under a single Uber powerful live coding environment part of my project Atlas. With direct mapping between Pharo and Python objects and no compromises. A workflow that will be seamless that you won’t know if you use Python or Pharo libraries as the Atlas environment will allow you to work with both languages in a symbiotic relationship.

That was a dream of mine that I did not dear to reveal now slowly and steadily becomes reality.

I am extending the live coding environment of python and later will tackle the subject of a python image format.

Already Atlas can use python libraries from Pharo but that’s about it , but after this revelation I can move to stage 2 of full synchronization between Python and Pharo. Even now Atlas allows you to use Pharo syntax to fully access Python libraries. But integration is skin deep and is what is going to improve the next years.

So it seems something good came out of this very long discussion. Atlas is going for a big update. This thread has been a huge inspiration for me. Super excited :)

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 at 03:40, Andrew Glynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
The first language I played with, I was nearly 5, was a live environment, Forth. I used it on an old PDP my mother had bought that was being surplused at the company she worked at. I used Forth until I was in my early teens, it was far superior to the BASIC that most other kids I knew who knew any programming used. It wasn't Smalltalk, but in many of the areas it was used (production automation is one major area), the language that most often replaced it was Smalltalk.

The biggest difference, for me, as I wrote in the article the other day, is the ability to build-on rather than build-with, which in turn is based on the environment being written in itself. Ruby looks very much like Smalltalk, but it works like Java; Python works more like Smalltalk, and it's a much better live environment than Java or Ruby, because more of it is written in itself, but too much of Python is written in C, and that causes problems. If the code that interprets/compiles your code follows the same rules, the machine code it generates will usually also follow the same rules, and those rules/restrictions are, for the most part, designed to make code more reliable. 

As well, RVM has proven Smalltalk (specifically Squeak / Pharo, though admittedly an older version) can scale to 1024 cores nearly linearly.

Python has a decent developer base but it's almost all OSS and almost all on Linux. Very few applications in Python are in areas where reliability is absolutely necessary, or even all that important.  Like Smalltalk, it's a general purpose language in a niche, but the niches are very different. For years, decades really, any good version of Smalltalk cost an arm and a leg (some of them both of each), and as a result it tended to be used only where things really had to work.  

Pharo is a great OSS Smalltalk, IMHO by the best to date (Squeak was/is good, but the LaF was never professional enough for it to be taken as seriously as it deserves, it just looks too much like a toy although in reality it's very powerful). Having the capability to build-on a reliable, attractive and enjoyable base without signing over my great-grand-child's first born is fantastic, and a great achievement for those who accomplished it.

Kendrick is an example of what can be done if you build-on: it was built on Moose, which is built on Glamorous, which is built on Morphic, which itself is based on a couple of decades work olving the basic problems inherent to UI's and MVC-type UI's in particular. Kendrick itself was written in a very short time when you compare it with other epidemiology programs, if you only count the time spent on Kendrick itself. It's an inherently complex problem area, and it's a life or death problem area. That an application capable of working reliably enough to be trusted in that area was built in a short time, because it was built-on a couple of decades of OSS work, is a huge compliment to those who were involved.

Unfortunately for me, I wasn't, ☺. But at least I can take advantage of it existence now.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----

Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 21:18:28 +0000
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Reply-to: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Wise not to mention Ruby and Python and Pick the worst of the worst in OOP. Because frankly the competition for Pharo against those two behemoths can be quite brutal in the flexibility and power of OOP. 

And no , these language can do live coding with ease. I know because I currently code live coding style with Python for an app I am making. Sure it wont provide you with a live system out of the box, but put in 10 lines of code and you already ready to go with hardcore live coding. At least Python , Ruby being practically a rip off of Smalltalk language may need even less. 

iPython which by the way is by far the most popular Python tool is the real deal, a full blow live coding enviroment. 

To my suprise its not even hard to do live coding with C/C++ including using image format. To my shock live coding is actually supported by both the OS and the hardware. Hardware has its own exception system , OS has an image flie format called "memory mapped files" used for DLLs and a lot of essential functionality. 

For some weird reason however its well hidden and not that much utilised by coders. They really love long compile times, dont ask me why. 

But yeah C++ even though it has come a long way with its template system, its still the king of ugly. That sytax, oh the horrors of that syntax..... yiaks !!!

I am so enternal greatful that Pharo introduced me to live coding and opened my eyes to universe of fun and productivity. I cannot imagine coding an other way ever again. 

I really hope that we take this further though. 

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 1:31 PM horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk
<https://medium.com/smalltalk-talk/behold-pharo-the-modern-smalltalk-38e132c46053>

If you would like to suggest some edits, I'm all ears. Anything to improve
the impact of the article.

Thanks.

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Reply | Threaded
|

John Pfersich
In reply to this post by Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Look and feel

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 16, 2017, at 10:41, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>
>> On 13/10/17 19:39, Andrew Glynn wrote:
>> Pharo is a great OSS Smalltalk, IMHO by the best to date (Squeak
>> was/is good, but the LaF was never professional enough for it to be
>> taken as seriously as it deserves, it just looks too much like a toy
>> although in reality it's very powerful). Having the capability to
>> build-on a reliable, attractive and enjoyable base without signing
>> over my great-grand-child's first born is fantastic, and a great
>> achievement for those who accomplished it.
>
> What is the LaF ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Vitor Medina Cruz

On 13/10/17 08:52, Vitor Medina Cruz wrote:
I completely agree with Ben.

As for Dimitris, I have some points:
[...]

The fact is , we love pain, we love barriers, we love doors that slam into our face. We love challange. But only if we find it interesting.

See, I think that’s not the point, the point is that people are very resistant to any change in their habits, so much that’s usually better to short-circuit into their habits to make a change instead of trying to force a hard change on them. That is why I think Ben point of view is not flawed at all, on the contrary, removing barriers is a way to make Pharo seems more like what people are habituated, short-circuiting peoples habits into Pharo usage. Withing time, people better understanding of Pharo may trigger small, but incremental, changes to it’s habits to get the “A-ha!!!” moment where live code and all wonders of Pharo make sense.

I frankly read very loosely the rest of you answer ( :) :P ), but I get you are not interested in making Pharo popular rather than get really interested, open minded people on borad so to make it even more amazing, but I also disagree here (in part  :) ). There are lot’s of people who could do better for the community if the entrance were easier, more popularity could means more opportunity in job field and, in a more philosophical matter, a way to make the whole current programming field better. Of course, with more popularity comes disadvantages as well, some of which you already said, which can be addressed, but if this is price to pay I personally think it is worth it.

[...]

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 4:00 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

That is a familiar path, but still an obstacle for people to get over in trying Pharo - i.e. its a barrier of entry.  I've previously referred to this article by JoelOnSoftware, but to pull out a key part... "Think of these barriers as an obstacle course that people have to run before you can count them as your customers. If you start out with a field of 1000 runners, about half of them will trip on the tires; half of the survivors won’t be strong enough to jump the wall; half of those survivors will fall off the rope ladder into the mud, and so on, until only 1 or 2 people actually overcome all the hurdles. With 8 or 9 barriers, everybody will have one non-negotiable deal killer.  This calculus means that eliminating barriers to switching is the most important thing you have to do if you want to take over an existing market, because eliminating just one barrier will likely double your sales. Eliminate two barriers, and you’ll double your sales again."

[...]

The learning curve of Smalltalk and Lisp are plain insane. Made learningh DOS Assembly a walk in the park in comparison. 

But frankly thats half of the fun. 

Many obstacles, many challanges. 

And there lies my point that an obstacle is a good thing when it becomes an interesting challange. You have to have at least a degree of masochism to learn how to code in any language. Of course the question is what makes an interesting challange and welcome to the abyss that is called "human brain". None knows and we are not anywhere close in finding out. 

What we know is that documentation is super important , whether you are a masochist or not, you need it to progress. Problems is that documentation is hard to create and maintain, again masochism required. So we should not just worry about making it easier for people to reach documentation we should make it easier for people to maintain it. Because even masochism has its limits. Those limits are as far it is a pleasureable pain. 

So congratulations to anyone reading this long post , you already proven my point.

I read it the same way as Vitor did also (I don't know why my mail client marked some part of this thread as unread), so answering Dimitris mail is not a probe of being pain lovers ( :-P ).

A huge plus also for Pharo is the community and how welcoming it is, we take for granted but my experience with Python was not the best either. I joined the IRC channel, other than having to endure the stupidity of "say lol 3 times and you are banned" , too many wars over languages and how superior Python is than anything else. Guido is god and blah blah blah... No thanks. 

People here are open minded, still "religious" about Smaltalk but they actually want to help , not to teach, actually help. 

I think we are a bit too obsessed on how to make Pharo popular, Smalltalkers suffer from this insecurity of the "failure" of the "best language of the world" not only to become popular but also to convince coders that "is not a a relic of the past".  

But we are fine, documentation is doing grear, Pharo is improving rapidly , the community is welcoming as ever. All we need is embrace our successes and our failures, reject the hype, consider the crticism and accept it or reject it and generally carry on doing what we all love. 

Improving Pharo. 

;)

I think, as I have said and mentioned in the thread, that the issue is having the proper community size (but I don't know how to calculate that). This, in my case means to show Pharo to non-developers (like myself): activists, journalist, (non-software) researchers and so on, and show them something similar (not equal) to what they know, but with advantages. So we start by learning Markdown, using Grafoscopio to write structured documents with markdown, then using it to learn how to create the same visualizations that you could do in a spreadsheet (pie and bar charts), , but with coding and then using coding to create visualization you can not get in as premade in any point and click interface. That path from what they know (mostly spreed sheets and word processing) to what is possible with coding has being worthy and more pleasant to traverse that the classical (and dumb) "hello world!" introductions to programming or even other "data science" course that are tools focused. We use the idea of moldable tools to "escape the tools". That means that you need to learn how to think symbolically (coding) to express the features you want the tool to have.

Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and the world of scripts/documents.

Cheers,

Offray
Reply | Threaded
|

horrido
Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently and
found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started guide at
the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder around a
bit.

I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in the
*Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
standard "Hello World" program.

I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
this???

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
> the world of scripts/documents.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
On 4 December 2017 at 12:15, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently and
> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started guide at
> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder around a
> bit.

Thanks for passing that on.  Documentation has been improving but a
quick start would probably be useful.  Its the sort of thing I look
for in other systems
to skim to evaluate how interesting they are and if they are
worth investing time in.

cheers -ben

> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in the
> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
> standard "Hello World" program.
>
> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
> this???
>
>
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
In reply to this post by horrido
Hi

We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super busy.
You see we cannot do everything.

Stef

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently and
> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started guide at
> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder around a
> bit.
>
> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in the
> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
> standard "Hello World" program.
>
> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
> this???
>
>
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>

Reply | Threaded
|

horrido
Understood. I'm working on a Pharo Quick Start guide. If it passes muster
with you guys, you may want to link to it, or incorporate its contents into
the pharo.org website.

However, I've stumbled on an odd obstacle: downloading and running the
Default GNU/Linux zip file. According to the Linux installation page, and I
quote:

Version 6.1 for several common GNU/Linux configurations. The zip files
contain everything necessary. Just download and run the executable. For more
download options, see the sections below.

I am unable to "run the executable" without further explanation. I'm
guessing that it's missing the Pharo VM, which apparently isn't included in
the download.

A newbie looking at this installation page and trying to get started with
Pharo under Linux would be totally confused and frustrated. Hell, *I'm
totally confused and frustrated!*

Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
> Hi
>
> We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super busy.
> You see we cannot do everything.
>
>
> Stef
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently and
>> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started guide
>> at
>> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder around
>> a
>> bit.
>>
>> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in
>> the
>> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
>> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
>> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
>> standard "Hello World" program.
>>
>> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
>> this???
>>
>>
>> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Offray
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Understood. I'm working on a Pharo Quick Start guide. If it passes muster
> with you guys, you may want to link to it, or incorporate its contents into
> the pharo.org website.

Sure let us know.

> However, I've stumbled on an odd obstacle: downloading and running the
> Default GNU/Linux zip file. According to the Linux installation page, and I
> quote:
>
> Version 6.1 for several common GNU/Linux configurations. The zip files
> contain everything necessary. Just download and run the executable. For more
> download options, see the sections below.

./pharo-ui Pharo61.image &
>
> I am unable to "run the executable" without further explanation. I'm
> guessing that it's missing the Pharo VM, which apparently isn't included in
> the download.

Why would it be?

>
> A newbie looking at this installation page and trying to get started with
> Pharo under Linux would be totally confused and frustrated. Hell, *I'm
> totally confused and frustrated!*

As you see this can be fixed without losing more time on that.

>
>
>
> Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>> Hi
>>
>> We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super busy.
>> You see we cannot do everything.
>>
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido &lt;
>
>> horrido.hobbies@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently and
>>> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started guide
>>> at
>>> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder around
>>> a
>>> bit.
>>>
>>> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in
>>> the
>>> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
>>> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
>>> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
>>> standard "Hello World" program.
>>>
>>> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
>>> this???
>>>
>>>
>>> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>>>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>>>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>>>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>>>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>>>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>>>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>>>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>>>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>>
>>>> Offray
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman

On 5 December 2017 at 14:50, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Understood. I'm working on a Pharo Quick Start guide. If it passes muster
> with you guys, you may want to link to it, or incorporate its contents into
> the pharo.org website.

Sure let us know.

> However, I've stumbled on an odd obstacle: downloading and running the
> Default GNU/Linux zip file. According to the Linux installation page, and I
> quote:
>
> Version 6.1 for several common GNU/Linux configurations. The zip files
> contain everything necessary. Just download and run the executable. For more
> download options, see the sections below.

./pharo-ui Pharo61.image &

I guess this is to make `pharo` look "normal" when used for non-gui scripting from the command line. 
It still bites me occasionally depending on what context I've been working in, but I can live with that.
This is the sort of thing a Quick Start will be good for.  

cheers -ben

>
> I am unable to "run the executable" without further explanation. I'm
> guessing that it's missing the Pharo VM, which apparently isn't included in
> the download.

Why would it be?

>
> A newbie looking at this installation page and trying to get started with
> Pharo under Linux would be totally confused and frustrated. Hell, *I'm
> totally confused and frustrated!*

As you see this can be fixed without losing more time on that.

>
>
>
>> Hi
>>
>> We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super busy.
>> You see we cannot do everything.
>>
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido &lt;
>
>> horrido.hobbies@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently and
>>> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started guide
>>> at
>>> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder around
>>> a
>>> bit.
>>>
>>> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in
>>> the
>>> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
>>> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
>>> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
>>> standard "Hello World" program.
>>>
>>> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
>>> this???
>>>
>>>
>>> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>>>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>>>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>>>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>>>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>>>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>>>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>>>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>>>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>>
>>>> Offray

Reply | Threaded
|

cedreek
In reply to this post by Stephane Ducasse-3

> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Understood. I'm working on a Pharo Quick Start guide. If it passes muster
>> with you guys, you may want to link to it, or incorporate its contents into
>> the pharo.org website.
>
> Sure let us know.

I’m also very interested as I want to give my students a very quick overview so they can use Pharo to manipulate some web/ICT concepts (like client request cycle, request processing).

So I planned to do a simple tutorial « for those who know only basic procedural programming ».
Actually I will not show the power of OOP. But that is ok for me. I’ll setup a classes so that they can act as a « db » to student and give them some methods (essentially set up a (web) server, and clients).

So If you want, I’ll be happy to review your tutorial.

And BTW, I see some people complaining about documentation. I repeat myself, but after what I used to know back in 2003-2009… I really can tell the situation has improved a lot !!!
Of course this is not perfect but I find it far better.

I’ve just seen this LearningOOPWithPharo. This is excellent !!!  I’m reading it with a lot of interest. Congrats all and Stephane especially.
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/LearningOOPWithPharo

So the situation is far better. MOOC + plenty of booklets. Since I agree a quick beginner guide will be useful.

Concerning image comments (class and methods), people often say that writing a comment, a test, a method comment is already an important contribution… and I agree
BUT, the process is not easy at all. It is kind of intimidating… It’s for me and I don’t consider myself as a « beginner », more a journeyer.

So, I was thinking of something that would be cool and fun to do. The idea would be to have an online image « opened » for contribution online.
ie., a kind of wiki image that exposes all the code of a standard image and where we could update class/method comments and eventually create tests.

It shouldn’t be difficult to do with Zinc or whatever. Just to avoid crashes or image destruction, it should be limited to simple contributions (comments first then tests maybe). Then, a core dev should be able to manage contributions and push them in official repositories.

As a side effect, we would have an (another) updated PharoDoc (~JavaDoc) that is kind of useless but that newcomers always ask for.

What do you think ? Useful/useless ?
I could give it a shot.

Cheers,

Cédrick

>
>
>> However, I've stumbled on an odd obstacle: downloading and running the
>> Default GNU/Linux zip file. According to the Linux installation page, and I
>> quote:
>>
>> Version 6.1 for several common GNU/Linux configurations. The zip files
>> contain everything necessary. Just download and run the executable. For more
>> download options, see the sections below.
>
> ./pharo-ui Pharo61.image &
>>
>> I am unable to "run the executable" without further explanation. I'm
>> guessing that it's missing the Pharo VM, which apparently isn't included in
>> the download.
>
> Why would it be?
>
>
>>
>> A newbie looking at this installation page and trying to get started with
>> Pharo under Linux would be totally confused and frustrated. Hell, *I'm
>> totally confused and frustrated!*
>
> As you see this can be fixed without losing more time on that.
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>> Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super busy.
>>> You see we cannot do everything.
>>>
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido &lt;
>>
>>> horrido.hobbies@
>>
>>> &gt; wrote:
>>>> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently and
>>>> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started guide
>>>> at
>>>> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder around
>>>> a
>>>> bit.
>>>>
>>>> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in
>>>> the
>>>> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
>>>> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
>>>> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
>>>> standard "Hello World" program.
>>>>
>>>> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
>>>> this???
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>>>>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>>>>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>>>>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>>>>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>>>>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>>>>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>>>>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>>>>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>
>>>>> Offray
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

horrido
In reply to this post by Stephane Ducasse-3
Then clearly there is something seriously wrong with the Default GNU/Linux
download. It does not contain a file called 'pharo-ui'.

Moreover, since the Pharo6.1.image file is located in the 'shared' folder,
you'd have to CD to 'shared' to execute your command. No mention of this
anywhere! How is a newbie to know???

Also, there is absolutely no indication that: (a) you need to download a VM;
and (b) where you can obtain this VM from. All in all, this Linux support is
quite messed up. It would be safer to remove it completely from pharo.org,
rather than confusing the hell out of a visitor to pharo.org.

Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>> Understood. I'm working on a Pharo Quick Start guide. If it passes muster
>> with you guys, you may want to link to it, or incorporate its contents
>> into
>> the pharo.org website.
>
> Sure let us know.
>
>
>> However, I've stumbled on an odd obstacle: downloading and running the
>> Default GNU/Linux zip file. According to the Linux installation page, and
>> I
>> quote:
>>
>> Version 6.1 for several common GNU/Linux configurations. The zip files
>> contain everything necessary. Just download and run the executable. For
>> more
>> download options, see the sections below.
>
> ./pharo-ui Pharo61.image &
>>
>> I am unable to "run the executable" without further explanation. I'm
>> guessing that it's missing the Pharo VM, which apparently isn't included
>> in
>> the download.
>
> Why would it be?
>
>
>>
>> A newbie looking at this installation page and trying to get started with
>> Pharo under Linux would be totally confused and frustrated. Hell, *I'm
>> totally confused and frustrated!*
>
> As you see this can be fixed without losing more time on that.
>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super
>>> busy.
>>> You see we cannot do everything.
>>>
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido &lt;
>>
>>> horrido.hobbies@
>>
>>> &gt; wrote:
>>>> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently
>>>> and
>>>> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started
>>>> guide
>>>> at
>>>> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder
>>>> around
>>>> a
>>>> bit.
>>>>
>>>> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in
>>>> the
>>>> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
>>>> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
>>>> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
>>>> standard "Hello World" program.
>>>>
>>>> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
>>>> this???
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>>>>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>>>>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>>>>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>>>>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>>>>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>>>>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>>>>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>>>>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>
>>>>> Offray
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hmm, yes, http://files.pharo.org/platform/Pharo6.1-linux.zip seems broken, duh.

$ curl get.pharo.org | bash

works fine though.

It is not possible to offer a single solution for 'Linux' as there are 100s of distributions, package managers, and individual preferences and tastes. That is what GNU/Linux is for. It also assumes you know what you are doing (i.e. understand the command line).

> On 5 Dec 2017, at 16:10, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Then clearly there is something seriously wrong with the Default GNU/Linux
> download. It does not contain a file called 'pharo-ui'.
>
> Moreover, since the Pharo6.1.image file is located in the 'shared' folder,
> you'd have to CD to 'shared' to execute your command. No mention of this
> anywhere! How is a newbie to know???
>
> Also, there is absolutely no indication that: (a) you need to download a VM;
> and (b) where you can obtain this VM from. All in all, this Linux support is
> quite messed up. It would be safer to remove it completely from pharo.org,
> rather than confusing the hell out of a visitor to pharo.org.
>
>
>
>> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM, horrido &lt;
>
>> horrido.hobbies@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> Understood. I'm working on a Pharo Quick Start guide. If it passes muster
>>> with you guys, you may want to link to it, or incorporate its contents
>>> into
>>> the pharo.org website.
>>
>> Sure let us know.
>>
>>
>>> However, I've stumbled on an odd obstacle: downloading and running the
>>> Default GNU/Linux zip file. According to the Linux installation page, and
>>> I
>>> quote:
>>>
>>> Version 6.1 for several common GNU/Linux configurations. The zip files
>>> contain everything necessary. Just download and run the executable. For
>>> more
>>> download options, see the sections below.
>>
>> ./pharo-ui Pharo61.image &
>>>
>>> I am unable to "run the executable" without further explanation. I'm
>>> guessing that it's missing the Pharo VM, which apparently isn't included
>>> in
>>> the download.
>>
>> Why would it be?
>>
>>
>>>
>>> A newbie looking at this installation page and trying to get started with
>>> Pharo under Linux would be totally confused and frustrated. Hell, *I'm
>>> totally confused and frustrated!*
>>
>> As you see this can be fixed without losing more time on that.
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super
>>>> busy.
>>>> You see we cannot do everything.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Stef
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido &lt;
>>>
>>>> horrido.hobbies@
>>>
>>>> &gt; wrote:
>>>>> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently
>>>>> and
>>>>> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started
>>>>> guide
>>>>> at
>>>>> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder
>>>>> around
>>>>> a
>>>>> bit.
>>>>>
>>>>> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in
>>>>> the
>>>>> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
>>>>> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
>>>>> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
>>>>> standard "Hello World" program.
>>>>>
>>>>> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
>>>>> this???
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>>>>>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>>>>>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>>>>>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>>>>>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>>>>>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>>>>>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>>>>>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>>>>>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Offray
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>>
>
>
>
>
>
> --

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4

> On 5 Dec 2017, at 16:36, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmm, yes, http://files.pharo.org/platform/Pharo6.1-linux.zip seems broken, duh.
>
> $ curl get.pharo.org | bash
>
> works fine though.
>
> It is not possible to offer a single solution for 'Linux' as there are 100s of distributions, package managers, and individual preferences and tastes. That is what GNU/Linux is for. It also assumes you know what you are doing (i.e. understand the command line).
>

There is this, too:

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20799/Update-Linux-Download-instructions

I will update the website this week.

We need to improve in general the download… so much todo.

>> On 5 Dec 2017, at 16:10, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Then clearly there is something seriously wrong with the Default GNU/Linux
>> download. It does not contain a file called 'pharo-ui'.
>>
>> Moreover, since the Pharo6.1.image file is located in the 'shared' folder,
>> you'd have to CD to 'shared' to execute your command. No mention of this
>> anywhere! How is a newbie to know???
>>
>> Also, there is absolutely no indication that: (a) you need to download a VM;
>> and (b) where you can obtain this VM from. All in all, this Linux support is
>> quite messed up. It would be safer to remove it completely from pharo.org,
>> rather than confusing the hell out of a visitor to pharo.org.
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM, horrido &lt;
>>
>>> horrido.hobbies@
>>
>>> &gt; wrote:
>>>> Understood. I'm working on a Pharo Quick Start guide. If it passes muster
>>>> with you guys, you may want to link to it, or incorporate its contents
>>>> into
>>>> the pharo.org website.
>>>
>>> Sure let us know.
>>>
>>>
>>>> However, I've stumbled on an odd obstacle: downloading and running the
>>>> Default GNU/Linux zip file. According to the Linux installation page, and
>>>> I
>>>> quote:
>>>>
>>>> Version 6.1 for several common GNU/Linux configurations. The zip files
>>>> contain everything necessary. Just download and run the executable. For
>>>> more
>>>> download options, see the sections below.
>>>
>>> ./pharo-ui Pharo61.image &
>>>>
>>>> I am unable to "run the executable" without further explanation. I'm
>>>> guessing that it's missing the Pharo VM, which apparently isn't included
>>>> in
>>>> the download.
>>>
>>> Why would it be?
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> A newbie looking at this installation page and trying to get started with
>>>> Pharo under Linux would be totally confused and frustrated. Hell, *I'm
>>>> totally confused and frustrated!*
>>>
>>> As you see this can be fixed without losing more time on that.
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Stephane Ducasse-3 wrote
>>>>> Hi
>>>>>
>>>>> We have a full mooc with 90 videos, we have books. And we are super
>>>>> busy.
>>>>> You see we cannot do everything.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Stef
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM, horrido &lt;
>>>>
>>>>> horrido.hobbies@
>>>>
>>>>> &gt; wrote:
>>>>>> Speaking of which, one of my readers said he tried out Pharo recently
>>>>>> and
>>>>>> found the documentation wanting. He was expecting a Getting Started
>>>>>> guide
>>>>>> at
>>>>>> the pharo.org website and couldn't find one. So he had to blunder
>>>>>> around
>>>>>> a
>>>>>> bit.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I told him he could've looked at "Chapter 2: A quick tour of Pharo" in
>>>>>> the
>>>>>> *Pharo by Example 5* book, but he's right. There ought to be something
>>>>>> obvious at the pharo.org website that helps a newbie get Pharo up and
>>>>>> running, understand how to basically use the Pharo IDE, and write the
>>>>>> standard "Hello World" program.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I checked out squeak.org and found the same documentation issue! Why is
>>>>>> this???
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>>>>>>> Documentation is going well. In fact the stuff that kept me away of
>>>>>>> Squeak, despite of its potential was the lack of documentation. "The
>>>>>>> artifact is the curriculum" was to powerful but too heavy. You need a
>>>>>>> way to understand how to deconstruct and navigate the artifact that is
>>>>>>> usually anchored with the culture you have (books and reading) instead
>>>>>>> of only launching inspectors os browsing the code. Grafoscopio is my
>>>>>>> attempt to fill that gap between the world of objects/simulations and
>>>>>>> the world of scripts/documents.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Offray
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

horrido
I've encountered another issue, this time with the macOS download...

After I download the zip file, I unzip the file and move the Pharo
application to the Applications folder. Then I have to right-click on the
Pharo application and select open (double-clicking prevents me from opening
the file at all). This last step fails (Pharo crashes), but if I repeat it,
it works.

Thereafter, I may double-click to open the file anytime.

I can't add these instructions to my Pharo Quick Start guide without
sounding like an ass. I shall have to wait until all download issues are
resolved before I can complete the guide.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

If you are working with Mac and Gnu/Linux, your quick start could start by:

1. Create the folder for your Pharo program, download it and Launch it. For that, open your Terminal and type:

```
mkdir -p ~/Programs/Pharo/
cd ~/Programs/Pharo/
curl get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image

```

You only need 2 and 4 steps to relaunch Pharo, once installed, but Mac and several variants of Gnu/Linux offer a quick launcher for running programs.

Is not the smoothest intro to Pharo, but is not a big issue either and in that way you can continue your guide knowing that readers in Linux and Mac have a working Pharo System.

Hope this helps,

Offray

On 05/12/17 13:18, horrido wrote:
I've encountered another issue, this time with the macOS download...

After I download the zip file, I unzip the file and move the Pharo
application to the Applications folder. Then I have to right-click on the
Pharo application and select open (double-clicking prevents me from opening
the file at all). This last step fails (Pharo crashes), but if I repeat it,
it works.

Thereafter, I may double-click to open the file anytime.

I can't add these instructions to my Pharo Quick Start guide without
sounding like an ass. I shall have to wait until all download issues are
resolved before I can complete the guide.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

cedreek
I also find this way simple and the best to me.

curl get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image

Don’t really need to say to create a dir or maybe pass it as a parameter in curl. 

The other way to install through that download one file is nice at first but I find it no convenient especially when doing a “save as”...  I also have recurrent problem with student on windows (through the first download link) where pharo complains it has no source file (whereas it is there). 

Cheers,

Cédrick 

Le 7 déc. 2017 à 00:55, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :

curl get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image
1 ... 456789