Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Yes. Creating directories are just extra steps so Pharo and its images is just a good practice to not let it pollute your home directory... as most programs do these days.

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/12/17 05:01, Cédrick Béler wrote:
I also find this way simple and the best to me.

curl get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image

Don’t really need to say to create a dir or maybe pass it as a parameter in curl.

The other way to install through that download one file is nice at first but I find it no convenient especially when doing a “save as”...  I also have recurrent problem with student on windows (through the first download link) where pharo complains it has no source file (whereas it is there).

Cheers,

Cédrick

Le 7 déc. 2017 à 00:55, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :

curl get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
<https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2>  . I decided
to forge ahead anyway.

Feedback welcome.

Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
have curl installed.

I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
(Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks Richard. I like when you are doing :)

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:38 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
> <https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2>  . I decided
> to forge ahead anyway.
>
> Feedback welcome.
>
> Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
> have curl installed.
>
> I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
> (Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
> Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse-3
I read it and it is good and to the point.
I was thinking if we could have a class named something else than Hello
May be Repeater new say: 'Hello'   ?

Stef

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Richard. I like when you are doing :)
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:38 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
>> <https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2>  . I decided
>> to forge ahead anyway.
>>
>> Feedback welcome.
>>
>> Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
>> have curl installed.
>>
>> I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
>> (Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
>> Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse-3
Once the pharo quick start guide is ready we will add it to the documentation.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read it and it is good and to the point.
> I was thinking if we could have a class named something else than Hello
> May be Repeater new say: 'Hello'   ?
>

> Stef
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Stephane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Richard. I like when you are doing :)
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:38 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
>>> <https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2>  . I decided
>>> to forge ahead anyway.
>>>
>>> Feedback welcome.
>>>
>>> Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
>>> have curl installed.
>>>
>>> I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
>>> (Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
>>> Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Excellent work, Richard!

May I offer the small criticism against using #initialize for the method name? I think a name like #sayIt (for example) and invocation like "Hello new sayIt" would make it explicit.

This will be a great help for people who drop by out of curiosity.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
<https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2>  . I decided
to forge ahead anyway.

Feedback welcome.

Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
have curl installed.

I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
(Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
I've revised the draft slightly for the comments given here:
https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2

Yes, it's a definite improvement. Thanks.

Richard Sargent wrote

> Excellent work, Richard!
>
> May I offer the small criticism against using #initialize for the method
> name? I think a name like #sayIt (for example) and invocation like "Hello
> new sayIt" would make it explicit.
>
> This will be a great help for people who drop by out of curiosity.
>

> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
>> &lt;https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2&gt;  .
>> decided
>> to forge ahead anyway.
>>
>> Feedback welcome.
>>
>> Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
>> have curl installed.
>>
>> I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
>> (Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
>> Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
May be the class name could be changed a little bit to allow more
flexibility using the Pharo Quick Start as a base. Something like
"Greeter" and "Greeter new say: 'Hello world!'" or "Greeter new sayIt"
could be implemented from there. Nice to see more and more documentation
around Pharo, including this one.

That being said, I have always felt that hello world is kind of a
strange introduction to programming:

http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/dumb-hello-world

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/12/17 15:31, horrido wrote:

> I've revised the draft slightly for the comments given here:
> https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2
>
> Yes, it's a definite improvement. Thanks.
>

> Richard Sargent wrote
>> Excellent work, Richard!
>>
>> May I offer the small criticism against using #initialize for the method
>> name? I think a name like #sayIt (for example) and invocation like "Hello
>> new sayIt" would make it explicit.
>>
>> This will be a great help for people who drop by out of curiosity.
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM, horrido &lt;
>> horrido.hobbies@
>> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
>>> &lt;https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2&gt;  .
>>> decided
>>> to forge ahead anyway.
>>>
>>> Feedback welcome.
>>>
>>> Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
>>> have curl installed.
>>>
>>> I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
>>> (Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
>>> Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
Done. Class #Hello is now #Greeter in package "HelloDemo".

I presume we're good to go, then?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

> May be the class name could be changed a little bit to allow more
> flexibility using the Pharo Quick Start as a base. Something like
> "Greeter" and "Greeter new say: 'Hello world!'" or "Greeter new sayIt"
> could be implemented from there. Nice to see more and more documentation
> around Pharo, including this one.
>
> That being said, I have always felt that hello world is kind of a
> strange introduction to programming:
>
> http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/dumb-hello-world
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

> On 07/12/17 15:31, horrido wrote:
>> I've revised the draft slightly for the comments given here:
>> https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2
>>
>> Yes, it's a definite improvement. Thanks.
>>

>> Richard Sargent wrote
>>> Excellent work, Richard!
>>>
>>> May I offer the small criticism against using #initialize for the method
>>> name? I think a name like #sayIt (for example) and invocation like
>>> "Hello
>>> new sayIt" would make it explicit.
>>>
>>> This will be a great help for people who drop by out of curiosity.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM, horrido &lt;
>>> horrido.hobbies@

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

hernanmd
To me the Hello World in Smalltalk was always just writing:

'Hello world'

> Done. Class #Hello is now #Greeter in package "HelloDemo".
>
> I presume we're good to go, then?
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> May be the class name could be changed a little bit to allow more
>> flexibility using the Pharo Quick Start as a base. Something like
>> "Greeter" and "Greeter new say: 'Hello world!'" or "Greeter new sayIt"
>> could be implemented from there. Nice to see more and more documentation
>> around Pharo, including this one.
>>
>> That being said, I have always felt that hello world is kind of a
>> strange introduction to programming:
>>
>> http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/dumb-hello-world
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray
>>

>> On 07/12/17 15:31, horrido wrote:
>>> I've revised the draft slightly for the comments given here:
>>> https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2
>>>
>>> Yes, it's a definite improvement. Thanks.
>>>

>>> Richard Sargent wrote

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
hernanmd wrote
> To me the Hello World in Smalltalk was always just writing: 'Hello world'

+1. While putting it in a class shows a few more of the system's features,
it also makes it seem more complex than other languages, when that's not
really true. Why not just PrintIt: 'Hello world'? If it seems important to
show classes, maybe start with PrintIt: 'Hello world' and step-by-step build
through `Transcript show: 'Hello world'` to the class-based solution.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Ben Coman

On 8 December 2017 at 03:38, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've completed the first draft of my  Pharo Quick Start guide
<https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2>  . I decided
to forge ahead anyway.

Feedback welcome.

Note that I chose wget instead of curl because many Linux distros do not
have curl installed.

I've tested the guide for various Linux distros including Mint 18.3
(Ubuntu-based), Debian 9.2.1, Manjaro 17.0.6 (Arch-based), Solus 3, and
Fedora 27. So it should be good for all the popular distros (Top 10).

Good work. Really nice and succulent. Some random feedback...

> due to a known macOS bug, the Pharo application will crash the first time

due to a known macOS bug >>> being investigated <<<,
the Pharo application >>>>may<<< crash the first time
(I presume it is)

> To open the System Browser, click on...

To open the System Browser, left-click on...

*Most* newcomers will assume getting a menu is a right-click (btw like every other menu in Pharo)
but Pharo is different here.  I do believe we should change it to right-click to lower friction,
or even both left-click and right-click to keep newcomers and stalwarts happy.
How often does anyone right-click on the World?   Could it be moved to a modifier key?

> Now we need to create a method or function for our Greeter class. The standard first method is ‘initialize’ which is invoked when the Greeter class is instantiated (this is OOP parlance). For simplicity, we shall skip this.

For simplicity, just leave it out.

-------------------

Now that sparks an idea for a follow-on article "Pharo - the next ten minutes"
* show how easy GUI text output is easy (its another equivalent to the printf debugging paradigm every knows)
     Greeter >> screamIt
          self inform: 'HELLO WORLD!'

* show nice process management and DSLish language
      Greeter >> counter
           | count |
           count := 0.
           [     count := count + 1.
                 self inform: count printString.
                 2 seconds wait.
           ] forkNamed: 'Count de Money'              "see..[1]"

   then World > Tools > Process Browser to Suspend,Resume, Terminate.

* show unique feature with continuation of state across sessions...
   run "Greeter new counter"
   the get them to close the image and reopen it.

cheers -ben

P.S.  side humor...

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
I'm not sure what you mean by *PrintIt:*. If you mean type 'Hello World' in
the Playground and just *Print it*, that's not really a "program."

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

> hernanmd wrote
>> To me the Hello World in Smalltalk was always just writing: 'Hello world'
>
> +1. While putting it in a class shows a few more of the system's features,
> it also makes it seem more complex than other languages, when that's not
> really true. Why not just PrintIt: 'Hello world'? If it seems important to
> show classes, maybe start with PrintIt: 'Hello world' and step-by-step
> build
> through `Transcript show: 'Hello world'` to the class-based solution.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

kilon.alios
Now that’s what I call a great way to promote something. Excellent work, short to the point.

In the future you could combine small code snippets together with the rest of your arguments for explaining the awesomeness of Pharo. Apple does this very well and in similar style to what you have done here.

I love the size , quick to read, easy to understand.

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 at 16:42, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by *PrintIt:*. If you mean type 'Hello World' in
the Playground and just *Print it*, that's not really a "program."

Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> hernanmd wrote
>> To me the Hello World in Smalltalk was always just writing: 'Hello world'
>
> +1. While putting it in a class shows a few more of the system's features,
> it also makes it seem more complex than other languages, when that's not
> really true. Why not just PrintIt: 'Hello world'? If it seems important to
> show classes, maybe start with PrintIt: 'Hello world' and step-by-step
> build
> through `Transcript show: 'Hello world'` to the class-based solution.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Maybe the core of the suggestion is start with the Playground and then go to the code browser, that's my workflow coming from other languages like Python and Scheme, and having the playground to emulate REPL before going to code browser has been really refreshing and also "going from scripting to object" is a well received approach in our Data Weeks.

So the Pharo Quick Start, after providing the installation instrucctions could be something like:

"""
The classical "Hello World!" program can be done in one line in Pharo, as in most dynamic languages by opening the Playground ("Cmd + Shif + o" shortcut on Mac o "Ctrl + Shift + o" on Windows) and writing "Transcript show: 'Hello World!" (see figure below), but we are going to learn also how to put this simple script into the Code Browser, a place where much of the Pharo power resides.

^ Up: The "Hello World!" example as a one-liner script ran in the Playground.

"""
and then I would add the succinct explanation you are doing about how to create the Greeter.

Cheers,

Offray

On 08/12/17 09:41, horrido wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by *PrintIt:*. If you mean type 'Hello World' in
the Playground and just *Print it*, that's not really a "program."

Sean P. DeNigris wrote
hernanmd wrote
To me the Hello World in Smalltalk was always just writing: 'Hello world'
+1. While putting it in a class shows a few more of the system's features,
it also makes it seem more complex than other languages, when that's not
really true. Why not just PrintIt: 'Hello world'? If it seems important to
show classes, maybe start with PrintIt: 'Hello world' and step-by-step
build
through `Transcript show: 'Hello world'` to the class-based solution.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

horrido
Thanks to all your feedback, the Pharo Quick Start guide gets better and
better. Now, the reader will *really* see how easy Pharo is by the end of
the second section. The rest of the guide deals with the System Browser.

I'm very happy about this because I keep hearing crapola from JavaScript
developers saying how low the entry barrier for JavaScript is (everybody has
a web browser; all you need is a text editor and you can see immediate
results). I wanted to drive home the point that the entry barrier for Pharo
is exceptionally low, too.

And it's just as low as for Elixir, Julia, Nim, Racket, and other languages
I've recently tried.

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

> Maybe the core of the suggestion is start with the Playground and then
> go to the code browser, that's my workflow coming from other languages
> like Python and Scheme, and having the playground to emulate REPL before
> going to code browser has been really refreshing and also "going from
> scripting to object" is a well received approach in our Data Weeks.
>
> So the Pharo Quick Start, after providing the installation instrucctions
> could be something like:
>
> """
> The classical "Hello World!" program can be done in one line in Pharo,
> as in most dynamic languages by opening the Playground ("Cmd + Shif + o"
> shortcut on Mac o "Ctrl + Shift + o" on Windows) and writing "Transcript
> show: 'Hello World!" (see figure below), but we are going to learn also
> how to put this simple script into the Code Browser, a place where much
> of the Pharo power resides.
>

> ^ Up: The "Hello World!" example as a one-liner script ran in the
> Playground.
>
> """
> and then I would add the succinct explanation you are doing about how to
> create the Greeter.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>
> On 08/12/17 09:41, horrido wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you mean by *PrintIt:*. If you mean type 'Hello World'
>> in
>> the Playground and just *Print it*, that's not really a "program."
>>

>> Sean P. DeNigris wrote
>>> hernanmd wrote
>>> +1. While putting it in a class shows a few more of the system's
>>> features,
>>> it also makes it seem more complex than other languages, when that's not
>>> really true. Why not just PrintIt: 'Hello world'? If it seems important
>>> show classes, maybe start with PrintIt: 'Hello world' and step-by-step
>>> build
>>> through `Transcript show: 'Hello world'` to the class-based solution.
>>>

>>> -----
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sean
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>

> amgfcildhiemjbph.png (21K)
> &lt;http://forum.world.st/attachment/5060126/0/amgfcildhiemjbph.png&gt;

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Richard

Thanks this is nice. I like Greeter :)
The suggestion of Ben are fun for the next one.
I will add a link to your article.

Stef

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:35 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Done. Class #Hello is now #Greeter in package "HelloDemo".
>
> I presume we're good to go, then?
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> May be the class name could be changed a little bit to allow more
>> flexibility using the Pharo Quick Start as a base. Something like
>> "Greeter" and "Greeter new say: 'Hello world!'" or "Greeter new sayIt"
>> could be implemented from there. Nice to see more and more documentation
>> around Pharo, including this one.
>>
>> That being said, I have always felt that hello world is kind of a
>> strange introduction to programming:
>>
>> http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/dumb-hello-world
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray
>>

>> On 07/12/17 15:31, horrido wrote:
>>> I've revised the draft slightly for the comments given here:
>>> https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2
>>>
>>> Yes, it's a definite improvement. Thanks.
>>>

>>> Richard Sargent wrote

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Kjell Godo
if Pharo could have a emacs version or face or something
that would advertise more functions that you can get
from the Pharo version
or maybe link the two versions Pharo and emacsVimPharo
so there is like a migration path to Pharo
or they could work together
that could be lower the barrier to entry
i saw emacs vim guy who could also hate to learning something new

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Richard

Thanks this is nice. I like Greeter :)
The suggestion of Ben are fun for the next one.
I will add a link to your article.

Stef

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:35 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Done. Class #Hello is now #Greeter in package "HelloDemo".
>
> I presume we're good to go, then?
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> May be the class name could be changed a little bit to allow more
>> flexibility using the Pharo Quick Start as a base. Something like
>> "Greeter" and "Greeter new say: 'Hello world!'" or "Greeter new sayIt"
>> could be implemented from there. Nice to see more and more documentation
>> around Pharo, including this one.
>>
>> That being said, I have always felt that hello world is kind of a
>> strange introduction to programming:
>>
>> http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/dumb-hello-world
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray
>>

>> On 07/12/17 15:31, horrido wrote:
>>> I've revised the draft slightly for the comments given here:
>>> https://medium.com/@richardeng/pharo-quick-start-5bab70944ce2
>>>
>>> Yes, it's a definite improvement. Thanks.
>>>

>>> Richard Sargent wrote

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: Behold Pharo: The Modern Smalltalk

Kjell Godo
isn't GNU Smalltalk a emacs Smalltalk?
maybe making a migration path from GNU to Pharo could be good?