[BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

1234

RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Stan Shepherd
Hi Mariano, great job of the release.

I've hit this one bug- pool dictionary spelling is checking a collection where it expects a string.

Here's an alternative.

RBPoolDictionaryNamesSpellingRule>>checkClass: aContext
        (aContext selectedClass isTrait or: [ aContext selectedClass isMeta ])
                ifTrue: [ ^ self ].
        aContext selectedClass poolDictionaryNames do:
        [:poolName |

        (self check: poolName) do: [ :each |
                result
                        addSearchString: each;
                        addClass: aContext selectedClass ]]

Otherwise refactoring etc all seem good. I get the same test results as other Linux testers.

...Stan

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Adrian Lienhard
Maybe it would be better to add these definitions to a wiki page or to the website. Like this we can add new ones and update existing ones independent of releases. In the welcome workspace you could then just point to the URL that contains the current list. There is already a related wiki page: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PackagesTestedInPharo

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jan 22, 2010, at 17:58 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Don't forget Magma. There is a ConfigurationOfMagma already in
>> MetacelloRepository.
>>

> Yes...there are a lot of projects..I even didn't put SqueakDBX/GlorpDBX.  I
> guess that in a future we will have Loader to do this...
>
> I don't know. Do you think we should also include Magma? I put the projects
> I though were most used.
>

>>> Do you think that with this we are able to close issue1479 ?
>>> - Background with Pharo picture. This was a joke. It looked nice :)
>>> I promise I don't put it again if you don't like. To remove it
>>> evaluate:
>>> World color: Color white.
>>> - Enable the preference fastDragWindowForMorphic. Sorry, but it most
>>> computers this works REALLY slow. If you want them back, just disable
>>> it.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I generally use:
>> Preferences enable: #fastDragWindowForMorphic.
>> Preferences disable: #windowAnimation.
>> Preferences enable: #updateSavesFile.
>> Preferences disable: #windowAnimation.
>>

> Well....that's why they are called Preferences :)
> I will check them and see if they make sense.
> Thanks!!
>

>>> - When installing Seaside now doesn't ask for user and password
>>> ( admin/seaside ). In addition, the Seaside Control Panel is only
>>> isntalled if OB is installed. This means that yu can install it in
>>> core or dev. Thanks Dale!
>>> - Disable of System Update for Dev images as it is not working
>>> properly.
>>
>> Isn't working? In the image from your link, the preference is working
>> correctly.
>>

>>> The link is:
>>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25397/Pharo1.0-10508-rc2dev10.01.2.zip
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano

>> --
>> Miguel Cobá
>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

George Herolyants-3
2010/1/22 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> But you are using OB, aren't you ?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm using OB.

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Stan Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mariano, great job of the release.

Thanks!

I've hit this one bug- pool dictionary spelling is checking a collection
where it expects a string.

Here's an alternative.

RBPoolDictionaryNamesSpellingRule>>checkClass: aContext
       (aContext selectedClass isTrait or: [ aContext selectedClass isMeta ])
               ifTrue: [ ^ self ].
       aContext selectedClass poolDictionaryNames do:
       [:poolName |

       (self check: poolName) do: [ :each |
               result
                       addSearchString: each;
                       addClass: aContext selectedClass ]]

Otherwise refactoring etc all seem good. I get the same test results as
other Linux testers.

Lukas, do you know if this a bug ?

...Stan

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
>> Otherwise refactoring etc all seem good. I get the same test results as
>> other Linux testers.
>
> Lukas, do you know if this a bug ?

I removed the rule for the pool imports a while ago, they are already
checked more appropriately at the place they are defined.

Btw, I integrated the tests of Stan into the package:
Refactoring-Tests-Spelling.

Also I had to rename the tests packages of the rest of the refactoring
browser to avoid conflicts. The packages are now called:
AST-Tests-Core and Refactoring-Tests-Core.

Can you update the Metacello definitions?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Otherwise refactoring etc all seem good. I get the same test results as
>> other Linux testers.
>
> Lukas, do you know if this a bug ?

I removed the rule for the pool imports a while ago, they are already
checked more appropriately at the place they are defined.

Btw, I integrated the tests of Stan into the package:
Refactoring-Tests-Spelling.

Also I had to rename the tests packages of the rest of the refactoring
browser to avoid conflicts. The packages are now called:
AST-Tests-Core and Refactoring-Tests-Core.

Can you update the Metacello definitions?

Thanks Lukas. I have just updated the configuration. I got 11 failures. Is this correct ?

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) project version: '1.2') load: 'Core Tests'

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
> Thanks Lukas. I have just updated the configuration. I got 11 failures. Is
> this correct ?
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser';
>     load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) project version: '1.2')
> load: 'Core Tests'

No, that's not correct. Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaahhahahahaa.

They all pass on my machine. What is the problem?

Lukas

>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Stan Shepherd
Sorry, forget this. Lukas has dropped the pool dictionary test.
...Stan

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Lukas. I have just updated the configuration. I got 11 failures. Is
> this correct ?
>
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>     package: 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser';
>     load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) project version: '1.2')
> load: 'Core Tests'

No, that's not correct. Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaahhahahahaa.

They all pass on my machine. What is the problem?

For correct I meant "expected".   Can you try to reproduce them with with https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25366/PharoCore-1.0-10508rc2.zip   ?

Some examples:

testTemporaryVariableNames  fails in runRule: aClass expect: aCollection because when it does:

self
            assert: (rule = each or: [ each result isEmpty ])

each is RBClassCategoriesSpellingRule  and rule is RBTemporaryVariableNamesSpellingRule  and  each result isEmpty  gives false

testClassCategories  failes in runRule: aClass expect: aCollection  because when it does

        self
            assert: (aCollection includes: each)

aCollection is #('Wrng')  and each is 'Refactoring'

I attach screenshot.

Cheers

Mariano

Lukas

>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Picture 25.png (489K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
> I attach screenshot.

Delete the file rb-spelling.dat next to your image, that should fix the problem.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I attach screenshot.

Delete the file rb-spelling.dat next to your image, that should fix the problem.

I haven't such file :(

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
> I haven't such file :(

True, you are on a mac too :-)

Go to "Apple Mail" and type the word "Refactoring". It should be
highlighted with the spell-checker. Click on "Add to Dictionary". Then
the tests should pass.

No, sorry. I have to fix the tests. Wait.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Stan Shepherd
Lukas,

I get three fails of your 'meta' tests:

#testIdentifier - 'Got ''$a'', but expected ''a'''
#testCamelCase - '#normalizeCamelCase: is not idempotent'   (puts in an extra space) 'Camel  Case' vs 'Camel Case'
#testSelector - '#normalizeSelector: is not idempotent'

also in the original tests on real classes

RBArgumentVariableNamesSpellingClass>>argumentVariableNamesSpelling: rong    <- not flagged
        ^self

RBTemporaryVariableNamesSpellingClassSideClass>>temporaryVariableNamesSpellingClassSide
        | rongTemporary |              <- not flagged
        ^self

RBCorrectSpellingClass
'IT' 'OK and 'don't' are all flagged - don't is not flagged. Is this your preferred behaviour?

What do you think about including the 'real' tests as well as the meta tests?

Real tests also have the benefit of serving as examples to people who are trying to use tests to understand the system. And there might be a risk that a meta test passes without testing the real live situation.

...Stan

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
> I get three fails of your 'meta' tests:
>
> #testIdentifier - 'Got ''$a'', but expected ''a'''
> #testCamelCase - '#normalizeCamelCase: is not idempotent'   (puts in an
> extra space) 'Camel  Case' vs 'Camel Case'
> #testSelector - '#normalizeSelector: is not idempotent'

Are you sure you have the latest code loaded
(Refactoring-Spelling-lr.19)? Because I fixed those bugs.

> also in the original tests on real classes
>
> RBArgumentVariableNamesSpellingClass>>argumentVariableNamesSpelling: rong
> <- not flagged
>        ^self

'rong' is in the dictionary as a correct word thus it is correct. The
tests that work on code should only test the extraction of text from
code, not other things like the spell checker itself. That's why I
moved such tests to a separate class (RBSpellCheckerTest).

Of course you can argue that it is a bug to have 'rong' in the
dictionary. Could be that this was part of some slang or abbreviations
dictionary I've included. I bet nobody wants to go through this list
of almost a million words and check them all?

> 'IT' 'OK and 'don't' are all flagged - don't is not flagged. Is this your
> preferred behaviour?

They are all not flagged on my machine. Neither with the internal nor
with the mac spelling.

> What do you think about including the 'real' tests as well as the meta
> tests?

I don't like it at all. I hate the situation we currently have with
Slime. We will have to fix that. People run the rules on the complete
image and then they suddenly have dozens of errors that do not matter.

> Real tests also have the benefit of serving as examples to people who are
> trying to use tests to understand the system. And there might be a risk that
> a meta test passes without testing the real live situation.

These are negative examples. You don't want to show a newbie negative
examples. It is also dangerous in books to show examples of how not to
do it. People don't always understand/read everything and just copy
and past whatever they see.

After all these are not meta-examples, these are just like the real
examples. Except that the code is only present in the image while the
tests run.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] RBSpelling errors when class has Pool Dictionary - Re: [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Lukas Renggli
>> 'IT' 'OK and 'don't' are all flagged - don't is not flagged. Is this your
>> preferred behaviour?
>
> They are all not flagged on my machine. Neither with the internal nor
> with the mac spelling.

Maybe you need to delete the cached dictionary rb-spelling.dat? I had
to create a new one to include all the short forms "don't", "won't",

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Michael Litchard

> There are SEVERAL reasons, but I don't have time to answer correctly. I will
> let the board to answer, but I will to a summary:
>
> - Because of marketing
> - Because to give visibility to outside
> - People that are waiting to build stuff because they won't do it until have
> a "stable release"
> - Companies may not move on a propject that doesn't have yet a stable
> release

> - Having two branches requieres time and effort
Am I understanding this correctly? Am I to believe that Pharo doesn't
have both a development and production branch, or have I
misunderstood?

> - We need to progress in 1.1
> - Because people won't believe in us anymore. We said that the 1.0 release
> was going to be one year ago.
>
> If you want to continue this discussion, please open another thread.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> Bill
>>

>> ________________________________

Maybe I don't understand you :)

The thing is that there are two "System Update" or Update Stream: One for 1.0 and one for 1.1. So...integrating fixes in both, takes and requires time. And time that we can use is somthing better. And not only that, we you are going to report a bug, submit an issue, etc...you spent time checking if it works on both..etc

>> Bill
>>

>> ________________________________

Michael

We have 1.0 (on final release cycle) and 1.1-unstable and for both we have core and dev images.

1.0 is on release period for too long now mainly because of a vicious bug due to mac menu
that duplicated events. Now we will release 1.0 because as mariano explained we should move on.
His arguments are quite clear to me and the board agrees with him.

Then 1.1 already improves so much compared to 1.0 that we will probably a much shorter
iteration. Because else people will report bugs on 1.0 that do not make sense in 1.1
and we will try to avoid the "already fixed in 1.1 syndrome"

This is why 1.0 should get out! and we celebrate it and go fast improving 1.1.
I want a 1.1 version for May/June.

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Adrian Lienhard
>> - Having two branches requieres time and effort
> Am I understanding this correctly? Am I to believe that Pharo doesn't
> have both a development and production branch, or have I
> misunderstood?

Pharo has both a development and production branch. The release 1.0 is going to be the maintained production branch and it will get maintenance releases (1.0.x) if important fixes need to be added. At the same time we are working on the 1.1 development branch, which currently is in unstable alpha stage.

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: [Pharo-project] [BetaTesting] [ANN] Pharo1.0-10507-rc2dev10.01.2

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 24, 2010, at 8:48 PM, Michael Litchard wrote:

>> There are SEVERAL reasons, but I don't have time to answer correctly. I will
>> let the board to answer, but I will to a summary:
>>
>> - Because of marketing
>> - Because to give visibility to outside
>> - People that are waiting to build stuff because they won't do it until have
>> a "stable release"
>> - Companies may not move on a propject that doesn't have yet a stable
>> release
>
>> - Having two branches requieres time and effort
> Am I understanding this correctly? Am I to believe that Pharo doesn't
> have both a development and production branch, or have I
> misunderstood?

It has... in 1.0, only bugfixes are integrated. There is a 1.1 (already 180 updates)
where all the other stuff is done.

You can download the last pre-built core image of 1.1 here:

        http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/25338/PharoCore-1.1-11177-UNSTABLE.zip

The idea is to release 1.0 officially as soon as possible...

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.