Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Nick Chen
Hi

I was browsing through the draft chapter for Pharo By Example describing the Omnibrowser architecture (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27418/Omnibrowser.pdf). One of the screenshots (Figure 1.5 in the PDF) shows a browser with Back, Forward and History Buttons i.e. navigation history features.

My specific questions:

1) What happened to this version of the browser? Is it possible to load the navigation history feature into the latest version of Pharo? I am currently using Pharo 1.2

2) The paper "Tackling Software Navigation Issues of the Smalltalk IDE" by Röthlisberger et al (http://www.bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg09d-SmalltalkIDE.pdf) implemented several useful features for code navigation in the Smalltalk IDE.

Was their work ever ported to Pharo? Hopefully the authors of the paper are reading this list and can comment. The paper was very interesting for me because it described and proposed solutions for problems that I have encountered with code navigation in Smalltalk.

Thanks!

Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi nick, I comment above.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Nick Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I was browsing through the draft chapter for Pharo By Example describing the
Omnibrowser architecture
(https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27418/Omnibrowser.pdf). One of the
screenshots (Figure 1.5 in the PDF) shows a browser with Back, Forward and
History Buttons i.e. navigation history features.

There are several browser for Pharo. PharoCore uses one, and in PharoDev we are using Omnibrowser, a.k.a OB.
There is ANOTHER browser called O2

That "history  feature" is part of O2, not OB.  O2 used to load in Pharo (indeed, it was the defaul at the very beginning of Pharo 1.0). But nowadays, its developr nor nobody  maintain it, so it doesn't load/works correctly in Pharo 1.2 anymore.

My specific questions:

1) What happened to this version of the browser? Is it possible to load the
navigation history feature into the latest version of Pharo? I am currently
using Pharo 1.2

No. You need to update O2 and make it work in Pharo 1.2  or try to add such feature to OB.

2) The paper "Tackling Software Navigation Issues of the Smalltalk IDE" by
Röthlisberger et al
(http://www.bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg09d-SmalltalkIDE.pdf) implemented
several useful features for code navigation in the Smalltalk IDE.

Was their work ever ported to Pharo? Hopefully the authors of the paper are
reading this list and can comment. The paper was very interesting for me
because it described and proposed solutions for problems that I have
encountered with code navigation in Smalltalk.

Thanks!

--
Nick

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Nick Chen
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Hi nick, I comment above.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Nick Chen wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was browsing through the draft chapter for Pharo By Example describing
> the
> Omnibrowser architecture
> (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27418/Omnibrowser.pdf). One of
> the
> screenshots (Figure 1.5 in the PDF) shows a browser with Back, Forward and
> History Buttons i.e. navigation history features.

There are several browser for Pharo. PharoCore uses one, and in PharoDev we
are using Omnibrowser, a.k.a OB.
There is ANOTHER browser called O2

That "history  feature" is part of O2, not OB.  O2 used to load in Pharo
(indeed, it was the defaul at the very beginning of Pharo 1.0). But
nowadays, its developr nor nobody  maintain it, so it doesn't load/works
correctly in Pharo 1.2 anymore.

> My specific questions:
>
> 1) What happened to this version of the browser? Is it possible to load the
> navigation history feature into the latest version of Pharo? I am currently
> using Pharo 1.2

No. You need to update O2 and make it work in Pharo 1.2  or try to add such
feature to OB.
Thanks Mariano! The brief description of the different browsers was helpful.
Because of your mentioning of the term "O2", I managed to find the O2 repository
(http://www.squeaksource.com/O2) and load the latest version using

Gofer new

 squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';

 package: 'ConfigurationOfO2';

 load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) perform: #loadDefault

David Roethlisberger made some changes on April 13 2011 that seems to make it
work with Pharo (after I fixed the #MNU of the Preferences class). There are
still some things missing like the Mercury Panel and some possible
incompatibilities with Pharo-1.2 but at least it loads.

I'll try to fix those problems and update it to work with Pharo-1.2.

Thanks!

Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Excellent!  if it is finally working, create a new Metacello version and lets us know :)
Mariano

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Nick Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi nick, I comment above.
>
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Nick Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I was browsing through the draft chapter for Pharo By Example describing
>> the
>> Omnibrowser architecture
>> (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27418/Omnibrowser.pdf). One of
>> the
>> screenshots (Figure 1.5 in the PDF) shows a browser with Back, Forward
>> and
>> History Buttons i.e. navigation history features.
>>

> There are several browser for Pharo. PharoCore uses one, and in PharoDev
> we
> are using Omnibrowser, a.k.a OB.
> There is ANOTHER browser called O2
>
> That "history  feature" is part of O2, not OB.  O2 used to load in Pharo
> (indeed, it was the defaul at the very beginning of Pharo 1.0). But
> nowadays, its developr nor nobody  maintain it, so it doesn't load/works
> correctly in Pharo 1.2 anymore.
>

>> My specific questions:
>>
>> 1) What happened to this version of the browser? Is it possible to load
>> the
>> navigation history feature into the latest version of Pharo? I am
>> currently
>> using Pharo 1.2
>>

> No. You need to update O2 and make it work in Pharo 1.2  or try to add
> such
> feature to OB.

Thanks Mariano! The brief description of the different browsers was helpful.
Because of your mentioning of the term "O2", I managed to find the O2
repository
(http://www.squeaksource.com/O2) and load the latest version using

Gofer new

 squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';

 package: 'ConfigurationOfO2';

 load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) perform: #loadDefault

David Roethlisberger made some changes on April 13 2011 that seems to make
it
work with Pharo (after I fixed the #MNU of the Preferences class). There are
still some things missing like the Mercury Panel and some possible
incompatibilities with Pharo-1.2 but at least it loads.

I'll try to fix those problems and update it to work with Pharo-1.2.

Thanks!

--
Nick

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
This feature should be available in Nautilus ;)

Just wait a bit ^^

Ben

2011/4/10 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
Excellent!  if it is finally working, create a new Metacello version and lets us know :)
Mariano

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Nick Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi nick, I comment above.
>
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Nick Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I was browsing through the draft chapter for Pharo By Example describing
>> the
>> Omnibrowser architecture
>> (https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27418/Omnibrowser.pdf). One of
>> the
>> screenshots (Figure 1.5 in the PDF) shows a browser with Back, Forward
>> and
>> History Buttons i.e. navigation history features.
>>

> There are several browser for Pharo. PharoCore uses one, and in PharoDev
> we
> are using Omnibrowser, a.k.a OB.
> There is ANOTHER browser called O2
>
> That "history  feature" is part of O2, not OB.  O2 used to load in Pharo
> (indeed, it was the defaul at the very beginning of Pharo 1.0). But
> nowadays, its developr nor nobody  maintain it, so it doesn't load/works
> correctly in Pharo 1.2 anymore.
>

>> My specific questions:
>>
>> 1) What happened to this version of the browser? Is it possible to load
>> the
>> navigation history feature into the latest version of Pharo? I am
>> currently
>> using Pharo 1.2
>>

> No. You need to update O2 and make it work in Pharo 1.2  or try to add
> such
> feature to OB.

Thanks Mariano! The brief description of the different browsers was helpful.
Because of your mentioning of the term "O2", I managed to find the O2
repository
(http://www.squeaksource.com/O2) and load the latest version using

Gofer new

 squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';

 package: 'ConfigurationOfO2';

 load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) perform: #loadDefault

David Roethlisberger made some changes on April 13 2011 that seems to make
it
work with Pharo (after I fixed the #MNU of the Preferences class). There are
still some things missing like the Mercury Panel and some possible
incompatibilities with Pharo-1.2 but at least it loads.

I'll try to fix those problems and update it to work with Pharo-1.2.

Thanks!

--
Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Nick Chen
Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
This feature should be available in Nautilus ;)

Just wait a bit ^^

Ben
Ben, thanks for the pointer! Haven't heard of Nautilus before but a quick search
through the forums reveals that it's a "new browser" with a lot of nice
features.

I tried the following to try to load it:

"Found this through http://forum.world.st/introducing-RPackage-td3326084.html"
Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
      package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
      load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.

Gofer new
        url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Nautilus';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
        load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadDefault.

But when I tried to start it from the World Menu it throws a MNU about
PluggableIconListMorphOfMany.

Where can I load the PluggableIconListMorphOfMany class and friends?

Thanks!

Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Stéphane Ducasse
Did you try in the latest 1.3?

Stef

On Apr 11, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Nick Chen wrote:

> Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote:
>>
>> This feature should be available in Nautilus ;)
>>
>> Just wait a bit ^^
>>

>> Ben
>>

> Ben, thanks for the pointer! Haven't heard of Nautilus before but a quick
> search
> through the forums reveals that it's a "new browser" with a lot of nice
> features.
>
> I tried the following to try to load it:
>
> "Found this through
> http://forum.world.st/introducing-RPackage-td3326084.html"
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
>      package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
>      load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.
>
> Gofer new
> url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Nautilus';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
> load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadDefault.
>
> But when I tried to start it from the World Menu it throws a MNU about
> PluggableIconListMorphOfMany.
>
> Where can I load the PluggableIconListMorphOfMany class and friends?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
It's probably the point.

Because since I'm trying a lot of UI choices, I post tons of fixes :)
Try with the last 1.3 image or the last RPackage image from Hudson, and it should work ( soon a one-click Nautilus image on Hudson ^^)

Ben

On Apr 11, 2011, at 7:38 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Did you try in the latest 1.3?
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 11, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Nick Chen wrote:
>

>> Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> This feature should be available in Nautilus ;)
>>>
>>> Just wait a bit ^^
>>>

>>> Ben
>>>

>> Ben, thanks for the pointer! Haven't heard of Nautilus before but a quick
>> search
>> through the forums reveals that it's a "new browser" with a lot of nice
>> features.
>>
>> I tried the following to try to load it:
>>
>> "Found this through
>> http://forum.world.st/introducing-RPackage-td3326084.html"
>> Gofer new
>>     squeaksource: 'PharoTaskForces';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfRPackage';
>>     load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRPackage) perform: #loadDefault.
>>
>> Gofer new
>> url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Nautilus';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
>> load.
>>
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadDefault.
>>
>> But when I tried to start it from the World Menu it throws a MNU about
>> PluggableIconListMorphOfMany.
>>
>> Where can I load the PluggableIconListMorphOfMany class and friends?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Nick Chen
Benjamin Van Ryseghem-2 wrote
It's probably the point.

Because since I'm trying a lot of UI choices, I post tons of fixes :) Try with
the last 1.3 image or the last RPackage image from Hudson, and it should work (
soon a one-click Nautilus image on Hudson ^^)

Ben
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
Did you try in the latest 1.3?

Stef

Thanks Stef and Ben. I did get it to work with the latest Pharo-1.3 core. It has
a clean interface that I look forward to using it when it becomes official.

I am not familiar enough with the Pharo Core -> Pharo Dev process so I was not
able to get the Mercury Panel (if it works in Nautilus), the refactoring tools
and navigation history to work.

Actually, the project that I'm currently on also makes uses of some of the
underlying components in Pharo-1.2 like Morphs and Editors so I can't really use
the bleeding edge in Pharo-1.3. But I would like to use it soon. So some
questions for you as core developers:

1) Do you have a API for Pharo-1.2? I know that you can do WorldMenu > Help and
browse to Pharo > API Reference but there is nothing official there stating that
those are the "official" APIs.

2) When do you expect to have an API freeze for Pharo-1.3? That way I can start
porting what we to make sure that it works.

Anyway back to O2. I'm in the process of getting the O2 packages to work. I've
gotten them to load for the most part and from my own use they seem to work.
I'll try to make the remaining failing/error tests pass and then post my initial
changes. I already know that some things don't work like undo/redo but I (or
someone else) can fix those later.

Thanks!

Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Stéphane Ducasse

> Thanks Stef and Ben. I did get it to work with the latest Pharo-1.3 core. It
> has
> a clean interface that I look forward to using it when it becomes official.
>
> I am not familiar enough with the Pharo Core -> Pharo Dev process so I was
> not able to get the Mercury Panel (if it works in Nautilus), the refactoring tools and navigation history to work.

it does not.
Ben will add refactoring support soon (matter of menus), navigation and search.

> Actually, the project that I'm currently on also makes uses of some of the
> underlying components in Pharo-1.2 like Morphs and Editors so I can't really
> use the bleeding edge in Pharo-1.3. But I would like to use it soon. So some
> questions for you as core developers:
>
> 1) Do you have a API for Pharo-1.2? I know that you can do WorldMenu > Help
> and browse to Pharo > API Reference but there is nothing official there stating
> that those are the "official" APIs.

not that I know :)

> 2) When do you expect to have an API freeze for Pharo-1.3? That way I can
> start porting what we to make sure that it works.

1.3 is stable, really stable.

> Anyway back to O2. I'm in the process of getting the O2 packages to work.
> I've
> gotten them to load for the most part and from my own use they seem to work.
> I'll try to make the remaining failing/error tests pass and then post my
> initial changes. I already know that some things don't work like undo/redo but I (or
> someone else) can fix those later.

I would not invest on O2. This is the past and it bends too much OB so have a look at nautilus
the groups are working much better.

Stef

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

jfabry

On 11 Apr 2011, at 15:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> 2) When do you expect to have an API freeze for Pharo-1.3? That way I can
>> start porting what we to make sure that it works.
>
> 1.3 is stable, really stable.

Quick question, what are the major changes planned for 1.3 and what is the (dreamed of/ideal/...) release plan? The website does not say anything ...

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Stéphane Ducasse

>>> 2) When do you expect to have an API freeze for Pharo-1.3? That way I can
>>> start porting what we to make sure that it works.
>>
>> 1.3 is stable, really stable.
>

> Quick question, what are the major changes planned for 1.3 and what is the (dreamed of/ideal/...) release plan? The website does not say anything ...

we were planning for
        - FileSystem but not sure it will be there may be loaded but not integrated
        - Rpackage but I need to take some time to concentrate for real
        - new browser but it depends on RPackage
        - Opal but there are still missing parts.
        - better announcements.

Lot of little but important fixes

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Marcus Denker-4

On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> 1.3 is stable, really stable.
>>

>> Quick question, what are the major changes planned for 1.3 and what is the (dreamed of/ideal/...) release plan? The website does not say anything ...
>
> we were planning for
> - FileSystem but not sure it will be there may be loaded but not integrated
> - Rpackage but I need to take some time to concentrate for real
> - new browser but it depends on RPackage
> - Opal but there are still missing parts.

So I wonder if we don't do a quick 1.3 release with out Rpackage and Opal. Form my side Opal definitly should not be in the critical path of the
1.3 release, if we talk about a quick release soon.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Nick Chen
Stéphane Ducasse wrote

> Thanks Stef and Ben. I did get it to work with the latest Pharo-1.3 core. It
> has
> a clean interface that I look forward to using it when it becomes official.
>
> I am not familiar enough with the Pharo Core -> Pharo Dev process so I was
> not able to get the Mercury Panel (if it works in Nautilus), the refactoring
> tools and navigation history to work.

it does not.
Ben will add refactoring support soon (matter of menus), navigation and search.
OK. I'll keep an eye on Nautilus. It is always nice to see changes being made to
the browser to make it more the UI more functional and up-to-date.

> Actually, the project that I'm currently on also makes uses of some of the
> underlying components in Pharo-1.2 like Morphs and Editors so I can't really
> use the bleeding edge in Pharo-1.3. But I would like to use it soon. So some
> questions for you as core developers:
>
> 1) Do you have a API for Pharo-1.2? I know that you can do WorldMenu > Help
> and browse to Pharo > API Reference but there is nothing official there
> stating that those are the "official" APIs.

not that I know :)

> 2) When do you expect to have an API freeze for Pharo-1.3? That way I can
> start porting what we to make sure that it works.

1.3 is stable, really stable.
I'll post on the mailing list if I have specific questions about the components
that I'm using.

> Anyway back to O2. I'm in the process of getting the O2 packages to work.
> I've
> gotten them to load for the most part and from my own use they seem to work.
> I'll try to make the remaining failing/error tests pass and then post my
> initial changes. I already know that some things don't work like undo/redo but I (or
> someone else) can fix those later.

I would not invest on O2. This is the past and it bends too much OB so have a
look at nautilus the groups are working much better.

Stef
Agreed. I've invested just a few hours already so I decided to just finish it
up. I've made the proposed fix available at
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3992. Perhaps some other people
might find it useful. Perhaps not, but that's OK too. :-)

Nick

On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:58 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

>>> Quick question, what are the major changes planned for 1.3 and what is the (dreamed of/ideal/...) release plan? The website does not say anything ...
>>
>> we were planning for
>> - FileSystem but not sure it will be there may be loaded but not integrated
>> - Rpackage but I need to take some time to concentrate for real
>> - new browser but it depends on RPackage
>> - Opal but there are still missing parts.
>
> So I wonder if we don't do a quick 1.3 release with out Rpackage and Opal. Form my side Opal definitly should not be in the critical path of the
> 1.3 release, if we talk about a quick release soon.

yes this was my impression too.

> Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

excellent!

Nick did you sign the license agreement.

Stef

On Apr 12, 2011, at 7:44 AM, Nick Chen wrote:

> [...]
>>> undo/redo but I (or
>>> someone else) can fix those later.
>>
>> I would not invest on O2. This is the past and it bends too much OB so
>> have a
>> look at nautilus the groups are working much better.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> Agreed. I've invested just a few hours already so I decided to just finish
> it
> up. I've made the proposed fix available at
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=3992. Perhaps some other
> people
> might find it useful. Perhaps not, but that's OK too. :-)
>
> --
> Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Nick Chen
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
excellent!

Nick did you sign the license agreement.

Ah I thought that all code pushed to PharoInbox was already MIT by default.

Anyway I think I found the license agreement. Is this one still up-to-date?
<http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/licenseDocuments/PharoSoftwareDistributionAgreement.pdf>

And is the fax number listed there i.e. 00 33 3 59 57 78 5 still the right one?
I will fax it over today.

Thanks!

Nick

Re: Code Navigation: Navigation History in System Browser?

Stéphane Ducasse

> Ah I thought that all code pushed to PharoInbox was already MIT by default.

yes it is but we are paranoid and serious about it :)

> Anyway I think I found the license agreement. Is this one still up-to-date?
> &lt;http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/licenseDocuments/PharoSoftwareDistributionAgreement.pdf&gt;
>
> And is the fax number listed there i.e. 00 33 3 59 57 78 5 still the right
> one?

you are missing a digit

Fax 33 3 59 57 78 50

> I will fax it over today.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Nick

Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
[hidden email]
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
**NEW ***Tel 00 33 (0)3 20 43 42 56  - Fax 33 3 59 57 78 50

40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne,
Bât.A, Park Plaza, Villeneuve d'Ascq,  FR-59650, France.