Compiling with Xcode

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Is anyone still doing this? I wanted to use Xcode to debug some VM changes I was making. I remembered that Pharo's cmake system allows to generate an Xcode project, but after opening that project in Xcode I couldn't get it to build. Are there instructions anywhere (like the excellent ones on GitHub for command line compiling of the Pharo VM)?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling with Xcode

Guillermo Polito
Hi Sean,

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my macosx and after reinstalling the 10.6sdk (as said in the readme file) I can compile and debug in xcode without problems... What are you experiencing?

Guille

El lun., 23 de mar. de 2015 a la(s) 7:44 p. m., Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> escribió:
Is anyone still doing this? I wanted to use Xcode to debug some VM changes I
was making. I remembered that Pharo's cmake system allows to generate an
Xcode project, but after opening that project in Xcode I couldn't get it to
build. Are there instructions anywhere (like the excellent ones on GitHub
for command line compiling of the Pharo VM)?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling with Xcode

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mac 10.8.5
Xcode 5.1.1

The first error is: "Rmdir: /Users/sean/Squeak/PharoVMBuild/pharo-vm/build/..//build/thirdParty/out/include/freetype2/freetype/internal: No such file or directory", but the compilation proceeds, ultimately failing due to:

The strange thing is that I successfully compiled via cmake from the command line on the same setup earlier today. For Xcode I used the same pharo-vm folder (platform sources, generator.image, etc) except "cmake -G Xcode" instead of build.sh
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling with Xcode

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
ultimately failing due to:
I'm also getting "/Users/sean/Squeak/PharoVMBuild/pharo-vm/build/thirdParty/libsdl2/SDL2-2.0.3/src/video/cocoa/SDL_cocoaopengl.m:351:18: Assigning to 'NSRect' (aka 'struct _NSRect') from incompatible type 'id'" from:
void Cocoa_GL_GetDrawableSize(_THIS, SDL_Window * window, int * w, int * h)
{
    SDL_WindowData *windata = (SDL_WindowData *) window->driverdata;
    NSView *contentView = [windata->nswindow contentView];
    NSRect viewport = [contentView bounds];

    /* This gives us the correct viewport for a Retina-enabled view, only
     * supported on 10.7+. */
    if ([contentView respondsToSelector:@selector(convertRectToBacking:)]) {
        viewport = [contentView convertRectToBacking:viewport];

Here's an interesting discovery - if I compile via cmake on the command line, delete the cmake cache file, and /then/ generate the Xcode project, it builds and runs fine...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling with Xcode

Guillermo Polito
Yes, I think that if you just tell cmake to build an xcode project, it does not download dependent libraries... (freetype, cairo, etc)

maybe it's that?

Sean P. DeNigris wrote