Do you want to accept???????? Discard???????

12345

Re: Do you want to accept???????? Discard???????

sebastianconcept@gmail.co

On Jan 13, 2014, at 10:58 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

One small step at a time.

Pick one aspect and try to fix it.
Highlight the problem, propose a solution, get some consensus, apply.

Repeat.

yeah, that's a lot

But..

Good problem finding and good proposed solutions should inspire the rest of the movement

Even great diagnostics would be a step forward

Real usability tests are the starting point

Re: Do you want to accept???????? Discard???????

kilon.alios
This is why we have all sort of software. For some its "reinvention of the wheel" for other using and liking the software is "the wheel as it should be". One advice I would give to anyone is never lose motivation about your idea. There are no good or bad ideas, only ideas that are not mature enough. Don't let people that are very loud expressing their dislike , make you lose motivation on your project. Everything with work can improve and will improve. Its the effort you put in.

Most big inventors were considered "crazy" and "outcast" anyway. It takes time to really appreciate things and for them to get to a level that show their true potential. I am definitely very excited to see all these Pharo projects pop up like mushrooms. Nothing better than highly motivated people :)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jan 13, 2014, at 10:58 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

One small step at a time.

Pick one aspect and try to fix it.
Highlight the problem, propose a solution, get some consensus, apply.

Repeat.

yeah, that's a lot

But..

Good problem finding and good proposed solutions should inspire the rest of the movement

Even great diagnostics would be a step forward

Real usability tests are the starting point

Re: Do you want to accept???????? Discard???????

Chris Muller-3
>> Undo on Command+L would be of no use except for people pressing
>> buttons before thinking.  That needs to be corrected to, "think first,
>> THEN press buttons."  :)
>
> Which goes in front collision course with the usability principle "Don't
> make me think" for designing great user interfaces

Incidentally, that is not what "Don't make me think" refers to.  That
phrase refers to software's ability to _guide_ the user to the
discovery of _how_ to command the software.  The goal of the UI is to
establish a low-level "connection" that the software feels like an
extension of the users fingers.  Modal pop-ups ruin this.

I see you came around to understand what Cmd+L is all about later down
in this thread.  Good!  Because I thought you were about to say, since
Cut and Copy could possibly "lose" valuable code in the paste-buffer,
they too, should be guarded with a modal confirmation pop-up.   ;-)

Re: Do you want to accept???????? Discard???????

Nicolai Hess
2014/1/8 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>
Pharo3.0
Latest update: #30678

This seems reproducible:
1. In Nautilus, browse a class that has a class comment
2. Bring up the comment pane
3. Edit the comment
4. Click the "Class side" checkbox

Also (don't know if it's related):
1. In Nautilus, browse a class that has a class comment
2. Bring up the comment pane
3. Edit the comment
4. Click the "Comment" button
5. Choose discard
6. Click the "Comment" button again *** It seems as if the changes were
accepted instead of discarded, but…
7. Click the "Class side" checkbox *** Now the comment is reverted to the
original, so it seems the changes were indeed discarded. I guess the problem
is keeping the comment pane in sync with the model…

Ben, should I open issues for these? If so, separately or as one report?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Here is my attempt to fix this issue (see slice in case 12605).
I just changed the way the #click signal is handle by the CheckboxMorph.

I don't know if it was wrong how it handled the #click signal or if we still have
an issue on how #click signals are processed at MouseClickState>>handleEvent:from:

For example this code still shows an "uncloseable" confirm dialog:

|m|
:= Morph new.
m on
:#click send:#value to:[m confirm:'Really?'].
m openInWorld
.

12345