File error on open and sound reverb problem again

12

File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Mike Lee-12
Hi,

The Lubuto Library Project to develop 700 Etoys lessons in Zambia is
finally nearing completion after a year of work by teachers and
students in Lusaka. There are 100 lessons in 7 Zambian languages plus
700 sound files that have to be associated with a button in the files.

Now we have have enlisted a group of Washington, D.C.-area volunteers
from the Special Libraries Association to help with a final finishing
pass at the files.

Though all the files were authored on OLPC XO laptops in Sugar using
Etoys 3.x, we wish to do the final production on Etoys 4.1 on Mac and
PC depending on what the volunteer has. The finished files need to
open and function properly on Etoys 3.x and 4.x on all platforms.

I have some initial questions regarding some problems working with the
files across different versions of  Etoys.

1) When I double-click to open the files from Zambia on Etoys 4.1 Mac,
I get an error message that prevents the file from loading and makes
it impossible to close Etoys without a force quit. I have seen this
error before when I open older project files on new builds of Etoys on
the XO. On Eotys 4.1 Mac, I can open the file from with Etoys. Here is
a screen shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6265581802/in/photostream

And here is a sample file on Dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16590498/Citonga%201%20Afabeti%201.003.pr

2) The sound reverb problem persists. Opening up the Etoys 4.1 Score
Player in the files authored in Etoys 3.x and clicking the Disable
Reverb button doesn't work.

Thanks in advance to whomever can provide some guidance.

Mike

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:51:08 -0400,
Mike Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Lubuto Library Project to develop 700 Etoys lessons in Zambia is
> finally nearing completion after a year of work by teachers and
> students in Lusaka. There are 100 lessons in 7 Zambian languages plus
> 700 sound files that have to be associated with a button in the files.
>
> Now we have have enlisted a group of Washington, D.C.-area volunteers
> from the Special Libraries Association to help with a final finishing
> pass at the files.

  Wow.  That sounds impressive!

> Though all the files were authored on OLPC XO laptops in Sugar using
> Etoys 3.x, we wish to do the final production on Etoys 4.1 on Mac and
> PC depending on what the volunteer has. The finished files need to
> open and function properly on Etoys 3.x and 4.x on all platforms.
>
> I have some initial questions regarding some problems working with the
> files across different versions of  Etoys.
>
> 1) When I double-click to open the files from Zambia on Etoys 4.1 Mac,
> I get an error message that prevents the file from loading and makes
> it impossible to close Etoys without a force quit. I have seen this
> error before when I open older project files on new builds of Etoys on
> the XO. On Eotys 4.1 Mac, I can open the file from with Etoys. Here is
> a screen shot:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6265581802/in/photostream

> And here is a sample file on Dropbox:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16590498/Citonga%201%20Afabeti%201.003.pr

I have Etoys 4.1 installed on my Mac.  With a browser (Chrome), I can
open the following link and view the project:

http://squeakland.org/launcher/?http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16590498/Citonga%201%20Afabeti%201.003.pr

(Also, it actually opens from Etoys 4.1 running as an application.
So the file issue could be something else.

-- Yoshiki

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Karl Ramberg
I fixed an issue with reverb i that is included in Etoys 4.2.
SoundPlayer initializes everytime it is started and the reverb is set
to true every time.

Karl

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Lubuto Library Project to develop 700 Etoys lessons in Zambia is
> finally nearing completion after a year of work by teachers and
> students in Lusaka. There are 100 lessons in 7 Zambian languages plus
> 700 sound files that have to be associated with a button in the files.
>
> Now we have have enlisted a group of Washington, D.C.-area volunteers
> from the Special Libraries Association to help with a final finishing
> pass at the files.
>
> Though all the files were authored on OLPC XO laptops in Sugar using
> Etoys 3.x, we wish to do the final production on Etoys 4.1 on Mac and
> PC depending on what the volunteer has. The finished files need to
> open and function properly on Etoys 3.x and 4.x on all platforms.
>
> I have some initial questions regarding some problems working with the
> files across different versions of  Etoys.
>
> 1) When I double-click to open the files from Zambia on Etoys 4.1 Mac,
> I get an error message that prevents the file from loading and makes
> it impossible to close Etoys without a force quit. I have seen this
> error before when I open older project files on new builds of Etoys on
> the XO. On Eotys 4.1 Mac, I can open the file from with Etoys. Here is
> a screen shot:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6265581802/in/photostream
>
> And here is a sample file on Dropbox:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16590498/Citonga%201%20Afabeti%201.003.pr
>
> 2) The sound reverb problem persists. Opening up the Etoys 4.1 Score
> Player in the files authored in Etoys 3.x and clicking the Disable
> Reverb button doesn't work.
>
> Thanks in advance to whomever can provide some guidance.
>
> Mike

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Mike Lee-12
Karl,

Good to hear of the fix. If reverb is turned off in 4.2, or if I
change it in the world Halo as Steve suggests, should we expert that
the setting will be honored on prior versions--even if the file is
changed and resaved?

Mike

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I fixed an issue with reverb i that is included in Etoys 4.2.
> SoundPlayer initializes everytime it is started and the reverb is set
> to true every time.
>
> Karl
>

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Lubuto Library Project to develop 700 Etoys lessons in Zambia is
>> finally nearing completion after a year of work by teachers and
>> students in Lusaka. There are 100 lessons in 7 Zambian languages plus
>> 700 sound files that have to be associated with a button in the files.
>>
>> Now we have have enlisted a group of Washington, D.C.-area volunteers
>> from the Special Libraries Association to help with a final finishing
>> pass at the files.
>>
>> Though all the files were authored on OLPC XO laptops in Sugar using
>> Etoys 3.x, we wish to do the final production on Etoys 4.1 on Mac and
>> PC depending on what the volunteer has. The finished files need to
>> open and function properly on Etoys 3.x and 4.x on all platforms.
>>
>> I have some initial questions regarding some problems working with the
>> files across different versions of  Etoys.
>>
>> 1) When I double-click to open the files from Zambia on Etoys 4.1 Mac,
>> I get an error message that prevents the file from loading and makes
>> it impossible to close Etoys without a force quit. I have seen this
>> error before when I open older project files on new builds of Etoys on
>> the XO. On Eotys 4.1 Mac, I can open the file from with Etoys. Here is
>> a screen shot:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6265581802/in/photostream
>>
>> And here is a sample file on Dropbox:
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16590498/Citonga%201%20Afabeti%201.003.pr
>>
>> 2) The sound reverb problem persists. Opening up the Etoys 4.1 Score
>> Player in the files authored in Etoys 3.x and clicking the Disable
>> Reverb button doesn't work.
>>
>> Thanks in advance to whomever can provide some guidance.
>>
>> Mike

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Karl Ramberg
I'm not sure what Halo changes Steve suggest...
Fix is quite easy if you know your way around the Etoys system.
Just comment out the SoundPlayer initialize in the class method, see below.
A change set with this fix can be attached to the project.

Karl

SoundPlayer class>>startUpWithSound:
 startUpWithSound: aSound
       "Start up the player process."

+       "SoundPlayer initialize."
-       SoundPlayer initialize.
       SoundPlayer
               startPlayerProcessBufferSize: (BufferMSecs *
SamplingRate) // 1000
               rate: SamplingRate
               stereo: Stereo
               sound: aSound.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Good to hear of the fix. If reverb is turned off in 4.2, or if I
> change it in the world Halo as Steve suggests, should we expert that
> the setting will be honored on prior versions--even if the file is
> changed and resaved?
>
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I fixed an issue with reverb i that is included in Etoys 4.2.
>> SoundPlayer initializes everytime it is started and the reverb is set
>> to true every time.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The Lubuto Library Project to develop 700 Etoys lessons in Zambia is
>>> finally nearing completion after a year of work by teachers and
>>> students in Lusaka. There are 100 lessons in 7 Zambian languages plus
>>> 700 sound files that have to be associated with a button in the files.
>>>
>>> Now we have have enlisted a group of Washington, D.C.-area volunteers
>>> from the Special Libraries Association to help with a final finishing
>>> pass at the files.
>>>
>>> Though all the files were authored on OLPC XO laptops in Sugar using
>>> Etoys 3.x, we wish to do the final production on Etoys 4.1 on Mac and
>>> PC depending on what the volunteer has. The finished files need to
>>> open and function properly on Etoys 3.x and 4.x on all platforms.
>>>
>>> I have some initial questions regarding some problems working with the
>>> files across different versions of  Etoys.
>>>
>>> 1) When I double-click to open the files from Zambia on Etoys 4.1 Mac,
>>> I get an error message that prevents the file from loading and makes
>>> it impossible to close Etoys without a force quit. I have seen this
>>> error before when I open older project files on new builds of Etoys on
>>> the XO. On Eotys 4.1 Mac, I can open the file from with Etoys. Here is
>>> a screen shot:
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6265581802/in/photostream
>>>
>>> And here is a sample file on Dropbox:
>>>
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16590498/Citonga%201%20Afabeti%201.003.pr
>>>
>>> 2) The sound reverb problem persists. Opening up the Etoys 4.1 Score
>>> Player in the files authored in Etoys 3.x and clicking the Disable
>>> Reverb button doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance to whomever can provide some guidance.
>>>
>>> Mike

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Mike Lee-12
Hi Karl,

I went digging a bit in the World Menu and could not figure out where
to find the SoundPlayer class script text you described to comment
out. I unchecked eToyFriendly in the preferences in an attempt to
activate developer mode, but am still lost. I'd love a hint or two.
Unchecking that parameter also burst forth a bunch of buttons to set
default and personal preferences.

If I should be posting in the newbie list, let me know.

Mike

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what Halo changes Steve suggest...
> Fix is quite easy if you know your way around the Etoys system.
> Just comment out the SoundPlayer initialize in the class method, see below.
> A change set with this fix can be attached to the project.
>
> Karl
>

> SoundPlayer class>>startUpWithSound:
>  startUpWithSound: aSound
>       "Start up the player process."
>
> +       "SoundPlayer initialize."
> -       SoundPlayer initialize.
>       SoundPlayer
>               startPlayerProcessBufferSize: (BufferMSecs *
> SamplingRate) // 1000
>               rate: SamplingRate
>               stereo: Stereo
>               sound: aSound.
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Karl,
>>
>> Good to hear of the fix. If reverb is turned off in 4.2, or if I
>> change it in the world Halo as Steve suggests, should we expert that
>> the setting will be honored on prior versions--even if the file is
>> changed and resaved?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I fixed an issue with reverb i that is included in Etoys 4.2.
>>> SoundPlayer initializes everytime it is started and the reverb is set
>>> to true every time.
>>>
>>> Karl

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Steve Thomas
Bert,

Made a nice video on debugging a script which is nice to get started.

He also gave a talk at squeakfest 2010 on developing in Etoys, I'll see if I can find a copy and post it.

Stephen

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karl,

I went digging a bit in the World Menu and could not figure out where
to find the SoundPlayer class script text you described to comment
out. I unchecked eToyFriendly in the preferences in an attempt to
activate developer mode, but am still lost. I'd love a hint or two.
Unchecking that parameter also burst forth a bunch of buttons to set
default and personal preferences.

If I should be posting in the newbie list, let me know.

Mike

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure what Halo changes Steve suggest...
> Fix is quite easy if you know your way around the Etoys system.
> Just comment out the SoundPlayer initialize in the class method, see below.
> A change set with this fix can be attached to the project.
>
> Karl
>

> SoundPlayer class>>startUpWithSound:
>  startUpWithSound: aSound
>       "Start up the player process."
>
> +       "SoundPlayer initialize."
> -       SoundPlayer initialize.
>       SoundPlayer
>               startPlayerProcessBufferSize: (BufferMSecs *
> SamplingRate) // 1000
>               rate: SamplingRate
>               stereo: Stereo
>               sound: aSound.
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Karl,
>>
>> Good to hear of the fix. If reverb is turned off in 4.2, or if I
>> change it in the world Halo as Steve suggests, should we expert that
>> the setting will be honored on prior versions--even if the file is
>> changed and resaved?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I fixed an issue with reverb i that is included in Etoys 4.2.
>>> SoundPlayer initializes everytime it is started and the reverb is set
>>> to true every time.
>>>
>>> Karl

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Mike Lee-12
After some hours of reading and clicking around, I finally got to the
SoundPlayer initialize string in the class method. I added the quotes
closed everything up and was not able to save the Etoys file due to an
error writing the image file. Perhaps this is what you mean by
"attaching [the change] to the project," which I haven't a clue how to
do.

See my screenshots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6337002318/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Mike

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what Halo changes Steve suggest...
> Fix is quite easy if you know your way around the Etoys system.
> Just comment out the SoundPlayer initialize in the class method, see below.
> A change set with this fix can be attached to the project.
>
> Karl
>

> SoundPlayer class>>startUpWithSound:
>  startUpWithSound: aSound
>       "Start up the player process."
>
> +       "SoundPlayer initialize."
> -       SoundPlayer initialize.
>       SoundPlayer
>               startPlayerProcessBufferSize: (BufferMSecs *
> SamplingRate) // 1000
>               rate: SamplingRate
>               stereo: Stereo
>               sound: aSound.
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Karl,
>>
>> Good to hear of the fix. If reverb is turned off in 4.2, or if I
>> change it in the world Halo as Steve suggests, should we expert that
>> the setting will be honored on prior versions--even if the file is
>> changed and resaved?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I fixed an issue with reverb i that is included in Etoys 4.2.
>>> SoundPlayer initializes everytime it is started and the reverb is set
>>> to true every time.
>>>
>>> Karl

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Bert Freudenberg
On 12.11.2011, at 11:15, Mike Lee wrote:

> After some hours of reading and clicking around, I finally got to the
> SoundPlayer initialize string in the class method.

"diving into the byzantine bowels of Squeak Etoys and Smalltalk" - very courageous ;)

A better way to open a Squeak Browser in Etoys is via the XO's "view source" key. No need to fiddle with preferences. On a Mac that's cmd-comma and on PC ctrl-comma.

> I added the quotes closed everything up

You need to press cmd-s / ctrl-s to "accept" the method (possibly you did but didn't mention it). It will ask for your initials (every change is logged with a time stamp and author).

> and was not able to save the Etoys file due to an error writing the image file.

You normally don't want to save the image file. On many systems you can't (as you discovered) because this modifies the Etoys application itself. That menu entry is in the developer's world menu (accessible by toggling the "etoy-friendly" preference you found). The view-source menu leaves these out, which is why we recommend using that.

> Perhaps this is what you mean by
> "attaching [the change] to the project," which I haven't a clue how to
> do.

You don't need to do anything special, as long as you edited the method while in the project that needs the change. Any method you accept in a project is added to that project's changeset automatically. You just need to save the project afterwards (and it will ask you if you want to include the changes).

> See my screenshots:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6337002318/sizes/o/in/photostream/
>
> Mike

Very nice, I could see exactly what you were doing (except I could not guess which OS you were on).

- Bert

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm not sure what Halo changes Steve suggest...
>> Fix is quite easy if you know your way around the Etoys system.
>> Just comment out the SoundPlayer initialize in the class method, see below.
>> A change set with this fix can be attached to the project.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> SoundPlayer class>>startUpWithSound:
>>  startUpWithSound: aSound
>>       "Start up the player process."
>>
>> +       "SoundPlayer initialize."
>> -       SoundPlayer initialize.
>>       SoundPlayer
>>               startPlayerProcessBufferSize: (BufferMSecs *
>> SamplingRate) // 1000
>>               rate: SamplingRate
>>               stereo: Stereo
>>               sound: aSound.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Karl,
>>>
>>> Good to hear of the fix. If reverb is turned off in 4.2, or if I
>>> change it in the world Halo as Steve suggests, should we expert that
>>> the setting will be honored on prior versions--even if the file is
>>> changed and resaved?
>>>
>>> Mike

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Mike Lee-12
I stepped through again following your steps exactly. Pressing cmd-s
on my Macbook Pro running 10.6.7 and Etoys 4.1.1. inexplicably caused
the quoted string to disappear. I went ahead and saved the Etoys
project file, see screenshots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6337954306/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Upon returning to the SoundPlayer class in the code browser, the
original code is gone and replaced with different text.

The reverb persists.

To recap, others are telling me there may be a fix in 4.1.2 or 4.2,
but for now it seems like I need to find a resolution to the reverb
manually as I will be distributing 4.1.1 and 700 project files to 20
volunteers next Sunday.

This sound reverb issue is undoubtedly some legacy decision that now
must be persisted as a default because so many files expect the effect
to be present. But, like so many aspects of the grandfather clock that
Etoys is, it makes no sense. Imagine if a photo editing program tinted
your images pink by default because some developer years ago thought
that was cool. No other piece of authoring software I've encountered
since I started using graphical computers in 1985 puts a filter effect
on a media asset by default.

Mike

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
I stepped through again following your steps exactly. Pressing cmd-s
on my Macbook Pro running 10.6.7 and Etoys 4.1.1. inexplicably caused
the quoted string to disappear. I went ahead and saved the Etoys
project file, see screenshots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6337954306/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Upon returning to the SoundPlayer class in the code browser, the
original code is gone and replaced with different text.
Actually the code is probably still there, I see you have "instance" highlighted, try clicking on "class" (in your last step/image) to find the code.

Can you send me a copy of the project.

Stephen

> [...]

> - Bert
>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:32 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what Halo changes Steve suggest...
>>> Fix is quite easy if you know your way around the Etoys system.
>>> Just comment out the SoundPlayer initialize in the class method, see below.
>>> A change set with this fix can be attached to the project.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>>> SoundPlayer class>>startUpWithSound:
>>>  startUpWithSound: aSound
>>>       "Start up the player process."
>>>
>>> +       "SoundPlayer initialize."
>>> -       SoundPlayer initialize.
>>>       SoundPlayer
>>>               startPlayerProcessBufferSize: (BufferMSecs *
>>> SamplingRate) // 1000
>>>               rate: SamplingRate
>>>               stereo: Stereo
>>>               sound: aSound.

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Steve,

Here is the 374kb file on Dropbox

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16590498/Sound_Prefs_Test_4.002.pr

Mike

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > You normally don't want to save the image file. On many systems you
>> > can't (as you discovered) because this modifies the Etoys application
>> > itself. That menu entry is in the developer's world menu (accessible by
>> > toggling the "etoy-friendly" preference you found). The view-source menu
>> > leaves these out, which is why we recommend using that.

>> > You don't need to do anything special, as long as you edited the method
>> > while in the project that needs the change. Any method you accept in a
>> > project is added to that project's changeset automatically. You just need to
>> > save the project afterwards (and it will ask you if you want to include the
>> > changes).

>> > Very nice, I could see exactly what you were doing (except I could not
>> > guess which OS you were on).
>> >
>> > - Bert

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Looks fine so far. The "line disappearing" after commenting it out is fine, it just means the actual source could not be written since that's read-only just like the image on your system.

When you load that project now, and play a sound, the reverb should stay as it was. Doesn't that work? Did you disable the reverb?

- Bert -

On 12.11.2011, at 19:02, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> Perhaps this is what you mean by
>>> "attaching [the change] to the project," which I haven't a clue how to
>>> do.
>>
>> You don't need to do anything special, as long as you edited the method while in the project that needs the change. Any method you accept in a project is added to that project's changeset automatically. You just need to save the project afterwards (and it will ask you if you want to include the changes).
>>
>>> See my screenshots:
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6337002318/sizes/o/in/photostream/
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> Very nice, I could see exactly what you were doing (except I could not guess which OS you were on).
>>
>> - Bert

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

The reverb stayed as it was because I didn't understand that
commenting out the initialization was going to just preserve the
reverb toggle state. The reverb disable button on the Score Player was
clicked the whole time. I toggled the button again, the reverb went
away. Upon doing a save as and reopening, the reverb was still there.

I captured the sequence through the System Browser in More detail:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6338769418/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Mike

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> You normally don't want to save the image file. On many systems you can't (as you discovered) because this modifies the Etoys application itself. That menu entry is in the developer's world menu (accessible by toggling the "etoy-friendly" preference you found). The view-source menu leaves these out, which is why we recommend using that.

>>> You don't need to do anything special, as long as you edited the method while in the project that needs the change. Any method you accept in a project is added to that project's changeset automatically. You just need to save the project afterwards (and it will ask you if you want to include the changes).

>>> Very nice, I could see exactly what you were doing (except I could not guess which OS you were on).
>>>
>>> - Bert

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Stephen,

I've tested the file you modified on

- Mac OS X 10.6.7 / Etoys 4.1.1
- Windows XP / Etoys 4.1.1
- Windows 7 / Etoys 4.1.1
- OLPC Sugar 11.3.0 / Etoys 113

The fix holds except that on Windows XP & 7, the reverb comes back
intermittently. That is fine for now.

I would like to find out how to "modify beep" myself (where to find
the beep code) at some point so I can apply your code change to
another file if needed.

I can now proceed with having the volunteers help us on Mac and PC
machines. I will also be able to load demo files on XO-1 and XO-1.5
laptops to do demos at the Zambian Embassy in Washington, D.C.

I will credit the posters here in future announcements.

Mike

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Attached is a project that I think may solve your problem.  I modified beep
> to add the line highlighted below.
> beep: anObject
> "Play given sound or at least beep."
> | sound |
>     SoundPlayer stopReverb.
> anObject isString
> ifTrue:
> [sound := SoundService default playSoundNamedOrBeep: anObject.
> (sound respondsTo: #stopGracefully)
> ifTrue: [self costume setProperty: #playingSound toValue: sound]]
> ifFalse:
> [SoundPlayer resumePlaying: anObject quickStart: true]
>
> Also  did some testing:
>
> 1) Open Etoys 4.1 build 2390 (Mac OSX 10.6.8)
> 2) Open Preferences window
> 3) Check soundReverb (NOT set, like that 1985 code ;))
> 4) Open Mike's project
> 5) Check soundReverb Preference in Preference WIndow (NOT Set)
> 6) Click TestSound Play Button (while Preference Window Open)
> 7) Step 6 causes soundReverb Preference to be set
> One way to get rid of the Reverb is to execute SoundPlayer stopReverb
> The problem is how to do it when project starts/opens.
> 1) Tried World script set to run on "opening" (Does NOT work, doesn't
> execute when project opens)
> 2) Tried Book Script set to run on "opening" (Does NOT work, doesn't execute
> when project opens)
> 3) Tried Page 1 Script set to run on "opening" (Does NOT work, doesn't
> execute when project opens)
> 4) Tried Page 2 Script set to run on "opening" (Does work, doesn't execute
> when project opens)
>
> Stephen
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bert,
>>
>> The reverb stayed as it was because I didn't understand that
>> commenting out the initialization was going to just preserve the
>> reverb toggle state. The reverb disable button on the Score Player was
>> clicked the whole time. I toggled the button again, the reverb went
>> away. Upon doing a save as and reopening, the reverb was still there.
>>
>> I captured the sequence through the System Browser in More detail:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6338769418/sizes/o/in/photostream/
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Looks fine so far. The "line disappearing" after commenting it out is
>> > fine, it just means the actual source could not be written since that's
>> > read-only just like the image on your system.
>> >
>> > When you load that project now, and play a sound, the reverb should stay
>> > as it was. Doesn't that work? Did you disable the reverb?
>> >
>> > - Bert -

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Steve Thomas
Mike,

I created a short video on How to Debug an Etoys Script which includes how to find and change the beep code.  When you save the project, it will ask you to save the change set, say yes, and your code changes are saved.

Credit goes to Karl Ramberg for the piece of code I swiped to stop the reverb.

Stephen

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> clicked the whole time. I toggled the button again, the reverb went
>> away. Upon doing a save as and reopening, the reverb was still there.
>>
>> I captured the sequence through the System Browser in More detail:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6338769418/sizes/o/in/photostream/
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Looks fine so far. The "line disappearing" after commenting it out is
>> > fine, it just means the actual source could not be written since that's
>> > read-only just like the image on your system.
>> >
>> > When you load that project now, and play a sound, the reverb should stay
>> > as it was. Doesn't that work? Did you disable the reverb?
>> >
>> > - Bert -

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

The video makes your approach to adding the fix crystal clear. Thanks.

I'd still like the project local reverb disable button in the Score
Player to work one day sooner than later. For casual authors, that's
much less intimidating than having to navigate the debugger.

Mike

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd still like the project local reverb disable button in the Score
Player to work one day sooner than later.

Tested in 4.1.2 Alpha  (next version not yet released) and it seems Karl fixed the reverb problems. So hopefully sooner.

Of course the really cool things in next version are: Pie's, Stencil's and perhaps one or two other surprises!!!

Stephen

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

Harness, Kathleen
Steve,
Thanks for the video, your explanation is very clear.
Kathleen

> [...]

>> clicked the whole time. I toggled the button again, the reverb went
>> away. Upon doing a save as and reopening, the reverb was still there.
>>
>> I captured the sequence through the System Browser in More detail:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6338769418/sizes/o/in/photostream/
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Looks fine so far. The "line disappearing" after commenting it out is
>> > fine, it just means the actual source could not be written since that's
>> > read-only just like the image on your system.
>> >
>> > When you load that project now, and play a sound, the reverb should stay
>> > as it was. Doesn't that work? Did you disable the reverb?
>> >
>> > - Bert -

Re: File error on open and sound reverb problem again

thanks for the video explanation
Kathleen

> [...]

>> commenting out the initialization was going to just preserve the
>> reverb toggle state. The reverb disable button on the Score Player was
>> clicked the whole time. I toggled the button again, the reverb went
>> away. Upon doing a save as and reopening, the reverb was still there.
>>
>> I captured the sequence through the System Browser in More detail:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/6338769418/sizes/o/in/photostream/
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Looks fine so far. The "line disappearing" after commenting it out is
>> > fine, it just means the actual source could not be written since that's
>> > read-only just like the image on your system.
>> >
>> > When you load that project now, and play a sound, the reverb should stay
>> > as it was. Doesn't that work? Did you disable the reverb?

12