Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

12

Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Mathieu SUEN

> From: Mathieu Suen <[hidden email]>
> Date: April 17, 2007 10:01:31 AM CEDT
> To: Ian Piumarta <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion <vm-
> [hidden email]>
> Subject: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac
>
> Hi,
>
> I have tried to compile Squeak with VMMaker.
> I have taken:
>   -  3.10 image (Squeak-dev-beta-107)
> - VMMaker 3.8b6
> - the latest source from the  svn
>
> After I have compile the source with VMMaker.
> Then I go to my folder where the source where generate and create
> the build dir:
>
> mkdir bld
> cd bld
> ../platforms/unix/config/configure LDFLAGS="-framework OpenGL" --
> without-x
> make
>
> I have had LDFLAGS="-framework OpenGL" because the linker haven't
> found some _gl* symbols
>
> Still the make failed with symbols undefined:

> gcc -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLSB_FIRST=1 -framework OpenGL -o
> squeak disabledPlugins.o version.o -framework CoreFoundation -
> framework CoreServices  vm/vm.a ADPCMCodecPlugin/ADPCMCodecPlugin.a
> AsynchFilePlugin/AsynchFilePlugin.a B3DAcceleratorPlugin/
> B3DAcceleratorPlugin.a BMPReadWriterPlugin/BMPReadWriterPlugin.a
> B2DPlugin/B2DPlugin.a BitBltPlugin/BitBltPlugin.a CroquetPlugin/
> CroquetPlugin.a DSAPrims/DSAPrims.a ZipPlugin/ZipPlugin.a
> DropPlugin/DropPlugin.a FFTPlugin/FFTPlugin.a FileCopyPlugin/
> FileCopyPlugin.a FilePlugin/FilePlugin.a FloatArrayPlugin/
> FloatArrayPlugin.a FloatMathPlugin/FloatMathPlugin.a GeniePlugin/
> GeniePlugin.a HostWindowPlugin/HostWindowPlugin.a
> InternetConfigPlugin/InternetConfigPlugin.a JPEGReadWriter2Plugin/
> JPEGReadWriter2Plugin.a JPEGReaderPlugin/JPEGReaderPlugin.a
> JoystickTabletPlugin/JoystickTabletPlugin.a Klatt/Klatt.a
> LargeIntegers/LargeIntegers.a LocalePlugin/LocalePlugin.a
> Matrix2x3Plugin/Matrix2x3Plugin.a MiscPrimitivePlugin/
> MiscPrimitivePlugin.a Mpeg3Plugin/Mpeg3Plugin.a RePlugin/RePlugin.a
> SecurityPlugin/SecurityPlugin.a SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.a
> SocketPlugin/SocketPlugin.a SoundCodecPrims/SoundCodecPrims.a
> SoundGenerationPlugin/SoundGenerationPlugin.a SoundPlugin/
> SoundPlugin.a StarSqueakPlugin/StarSqueakPlugin.a SurfacePlugin/
> SurfacePlugin.a UUIDPlugin/UUIDPlugin.a -lm vm/vm.a
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _closeWindow
> _createWindowWidthheightoriginXyattrlength
> _ioCloseAllWindows
> _ioPositionOfWindow
> _ioPositionOfWindowSetxy
> _ioSetTitleOfWindow
> _ioShowDisplayOnWindow
> _ioSizeOfWindow
> _ioSizeOfWindowSetxy
> _sqInternetConfigurationGetStringKeyedBykeySizeinto
> _sqInternetConfigurationInit
> _sqInternetConfigurationShutdown
> _sqInternetGetMacintoshFileTypeAndCreatorFromkeySizeinto
> [...]

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Bert Freudenberg

On Apr 17, 2007, at 15:50 , Mathieu Suen wrote:

> [...]
>> SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.a SocketPlugin/SocketPlugin.a
>> SoundCodecPrims/SoundCodecPrims.a SoundGenerationPlugin/
>> SoundGenerationPlugin.a SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.a StarSqueakPlugin/
>> StarSqueakPlugin.a SurfacePlugin/SurfacePlugin.a UUIDPlugin/
>> UUIDPlugin.a -lm vm/vm.a
>> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>> _closeWindow
>> _createWindowWidthheightoriginXyattrlength
>> _ioCloseAllWindows
>> _ioPositionOfWindow
>> _ioPositionOfWindowSetxy
>> _ioSetTitleOfWindow
>> _ioShowDisplayOnWindow
>> _ioSizeOfWindow
>> _ioSizeOfWindowSetxy
>> _sqInternetConfigurationGetStringKeyedBykeySizeinto
>> _sqInternetConfigurationInit
>> _sqInternetConfigurationShutdown
>> _sqInternetGetMacintoshFileTypeAndCreatorFromkeySizeinto

It looks like you are compiling some plugins not the way they're
supposed to be used. For example, B3DAcceleratorPlugin should be
build externally because it links to OpenGL. And HostWindowPlugin,
InternetConfigPlugin, and LocalePlugin are not supported by the Unix
VM, which explains your link errors.

- Bert -

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

timrowledge

>> _closeWindow
>> _createWindowWidthheightoriginXyattrlength
>> _ioCloseAllWindows
>> _ioPositionOfWindow
>> _ioPositionOfWindowSetxy
>> _ioSetTitleOfWindow
>> _ioShowDisplayOnWindow
>> _ioSizeOfWindow
>> _ioSizeOfWindowSetxy

Those look to be the Ffenestri related function names in
HostWindowPlugin.

>> _sqInternetConfigurationGetStringKeyedBykeySizeinto
>> _sqInternetConfigurationInit
>> _sqInternetConfigurationShutdown
>> _sqInternetGetMacintoshFileTypeAndCreatorFromkeySizeinto

Those suggest the Mac spcific (?) InternetConfigPlugin.

>> _sqLocCurrencyNotation
>> _sqLocCurrencySymbolSize
>> _sqLocDaylightSavings
>> _sqLocGetCountryInto
>> _sqLocGetCurrencySymbolInto
>> _sqLocGetDecimalSymbolInto
>> _sqLocGetDigitGroupingSymbolInto
>> _sqLocGetLanguageInto
>> _sqLocGetLongDateFormatInto
>> _sqLocGetShortDateFormatInto
>> _sqLocGetTimeFormatInto
>> _sqLocGetTimezoneOffset
>> _sqLocGetVMOffsetToUTC
>> _sqLocInitialize
>> _sqLocLongDateFormatSize
>> _sqLocMeasurementMetric
>> _sqLocShortDateFormatSize
>> _sqLocTimeFormatSize

Those are from the LocalePlugin.

If the unix code doesn't have the support for the above then you
shouldn't be trying to compile them. VMMaker does attempt to detect
which plugins have no platform support so it can skip them BUT if
you're running on a Mac you really shouldn't be surprised that
VMMaker decides to look at the support provided in the platforms/Mac
OS/plugins folder - which DOES include Locale etc.

Try editing the platform name in the VMMakerTool to 'unix'. There's
even a button to press to get a list of known platform names - 'Find
platform'. If you choose 'unix' instead of the default for a Mac of
'Mac OS' and then ask for all plugins to be made external you will
see that the system tells you that
No platform specific files found for 'HostWindowPlugin'
No platform specific files found for 'InternetConfigPlugin'
No platform specific files found for 'LocalePlugin'
No platform specific files found for 'MacMenubarPlugin'
No platform specific files found for 'TestOSAPlugin'

There is quite a bit of useful help in the help info accessed by
pressing the prominent 'Help' button in the VMMakerTool. There is
some more at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/vmmaker.

tim
Useful random insult:- Put a lens in each ear and you've got a
telescope.

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Mathieu SUEN

You can't fix it to avoid them to be compiled on a Mac?
It's not obvious to choose unix when you run Mac OS

Any way thanks for your help

        Mth

On Apr 17, 2007, at 7:21 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Try editing the platform name in the VMMakerTool to 'unix'. There's
> even a button to press to get a list of known platform names -
> 'Find platform'. If you choose 'unix' instead of the default for a
> Mac of 'Mac OS' and then ask for all plugins to be made external
> you will see that the system tells you that
> No platform specific files found for 'HostWindowPlugin'
> No platform specific files found for 'InternetConfigPlugin'
> No platform specific files found for 'LocalePlugin'
> No platform specific files found for 'MacMenubarPlugin'
> No platform specific files found for 'TestOSAPlugin'

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Andreas.Raab

Well, there is two "flavours" of builds for Mac OS. The one you choose
(blue icon) is the unix flavour and for it to work you need to put
"unix" into the platform name. Otherwise the system assumes thay you are
going to use the Mac OS flavour of build (gold icon) which requires the
setup available in the MacOS platform branch.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Mathieu Suen wrote:

> You can't fix it to avoid them to be compiled on a Mac?
> It's not obvious to choose unix when you run Mac OS
>
> Any way thanks for your help
>
>     Mth
>
> On Apr 17, 2007, at 7:21 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> Try editing the platform name in the VMMakerTool to 'unix'. There's
>> even a button to press to get a list of known platform names - 'Find
>> platform'. If you choose 'unix' instead of the default for a Mac of
>> 'Mac OS' and then ask for all plugins to be made external you will see
>> that the system tells you that
>> No platform specific files found for 'HostWindowPlugin'
>> No platform specific files found for 'InternetConfigPlugin'
>> No platform specific files found for 'LocalePlugin'
>> No platform specific files found for 'MacMenubarPlugin'
>> No platform specific files found for 'TestOSAPlugin'

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Mathieu SUEN

Ok thanks for those precision. So where can you find the setup in
order to build the Mac OS flavour?

        Mth

On 17-Apr-07, at 12:00 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> You can't fix it to avoid them to be compiled on a Mac?

Of course not - they're *useful* on Mac OS. Why would we want to not
use them just to make it convenient to build  a generic-unix vm instead?

> It's not obvious to choose unix when you run Mac OS
How could I make it any other way? It seems a very reasonable thing
to assume that when running on platform X you are very likely to want
to generate VM code to suit platform X; frankly it surprises me that
we can manage to generate generic-unix sources at all. I suspect it
only works for unix-on-OSX because they had to work out ways of
handling line-ends etc. Try doing the same on Windows and then
compiling - I'd hazard a guess (I'm absolutely not going to attempt
it myself since I refuse to have anything to do with Windows) that
you won't get anywhere. Has anyone tried it? Any success?

tim
Strange OpCodes: DC: Divide and Conquer

On 17-Apr-07, at 12:41 PM, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> Ok thanks for those precision. So where can you find the setup in
> order to build the Mac OS flavour?

As previously mentioned:-

>> There is quite a bit of useful help in the help info accessed by
>> pressing the prominent 'Help' button in the VMMakerTool. There is
>> some more at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/vmmaker.

And if you look even briefly around the 'platforms' folder that has
all the hand-written code and makefiles in it, under 'Mac OS' you
will find 'Mac OS/vm/Documentation' and a load of readme type files.
For unix you will find stuff in 'platforms/unix/doc'. For Windows,
try 'platforms/win32'.

Umm, guys, why have we ended up with 3 different places in 3
platforms? How about having a single idiom like perhaps platforms/
{the platform}/Doc/readme as a starting place? Call me a
revolutionary but really...

tim
Useful random insult:- Solid concrete from the eyebrows backwards.

tim Rowledge wrote:
> Umm, guys, why have we ended up with 3 different places in 3 platforms?
> How about having a single idiom like perhaps platforms/{the
> platform}/Doc/readme as a starting place? Call me a revolutionary but
> really...

How about a readme on the top level? Not that I mind putting it into a
common place but if that place is buried deep inside the structure it
won't be any easier to find.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Mathieu SUEN

Yes it's what  I had missed. I had looked inside unix and saw the Doc
folder and when I went to Mac OS folder I didn't seen any Doc folder
and readme.
So I simply suppose that they were no doc. Plus when I had look
inside the vm folder of unix I haven't seen any doc.

Next time I will try not to make any supposition.

        Mth

On 17-Apr-07, at 1:07 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>> Umm, guys, why have we ended up with 3 different places in 3
>> platforms? How about having a single idiom like perhaps platforms/
>> {the platform}/Doc/readme as a starting place? Call me a
>> revolutionary but really...
>
> How about a readme on the top level? Not that I mind putting it
> into a common place but if that place is buried deep inside the
> structure it won't be any easier to find.

OK, I propose
platforms
        README
        Cross
        Mac OS
                Doc
                        Mac Readme
        unix
                Doc
                        unix Readme
etc.....
General readme would explain what all this stuff is and where to
update svn and VMMaker and to look in platform specific readme & Doc
directory for more details.

tim
If only people came with pull-down menus and online help.

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Andreas.Raab

Sounds good in general but can we name it "docs" instead of "Doc"?

Thanks,
   - Andreas

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 17-Apr-07, at 1:07 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>> Umm, guys, why have we ended up with 3 different places in 3
>>> platforms? How about having a single idiom like perhaps
>>> platforms/{the platform}/Doc/readme as a starting place? Call me a
>>> revolutionary but really...
>>
>> How about a readme on the top level? Not that I mind putting it into a
>> common place but if that place is buried deep inside the structure it
>> won't be any easier to find.
>
> OK, I propose
> platforms
>     README
>     Cross
>     Mac OS
>         Doc
>             Mac Readme
>     unix
>         Doc
>             unix Readme
> etc.....
> General readme would explain what all this stuff is and where to update
> svn and VMMaker and to look in platform specific readme & Doc directory
> for more details.
>

> tim
> If only people came with pull-down menus and online help.

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Ian Piumarta

On Apr 17, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Sounds good in general but can we name it "docs" instead of "Doc"?

I agree entirely with Andreas.  Can we make the plural discretionary
too?

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Andreas.Raab

Okay, I just replaced the (already obsolete ;-) description in
platforms/win32 with a pointer to platforms/win32/docs (which is the
correct set of instructions with win32 anyway). I can also add a README
if anyone thinks this is helpful but all the win32 information now lives
(and has for a while) inside platforms/win32/docs.

In other words, I'm declaring myself to be "documentation-compliant" ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 17-Apr-07, at 1:07 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>> Umm, guys, why have we ended up with 3 different places in 3
>>> platforms? How about having a single idiom like perhaps
>>> platforms/{the platform}/Doc/readme as a starting place? Call me a
>>> revolutionary but really...
>>
>> How about a readme on the top level? Not that I mind putting it into a
>> common place but if that place is buried deep inside the structure it
>> won't be any easier to find.
>
> OK, I propose
> platforms
>     README
>     Cross
>     Mac OS
>         Doc
>             Mac Readme
>     unix
>         Doc
>             unix Readme
> etc.....
> General readme would explain what all this stuff is and where to update
> svn and VMMaker and to look in platform specific readme & Doc directory
> for more details.
>

> tim
> If only people came with pull-down menus and online help.

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Damien Pollet

On 17/04/07, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, there is two "flavours" of builds for Mac OS. The one you choose

Shouldn't there be only one ? The unix build uses Quartz, has a
standard menu bar and window, so it's already a little Mac-like, no ?
Mac OS **is** a unix, it just has access to a few more libraries than
traditional BSDs, and the VM should be wrapped in a .app bundle
instead of a /usr/local hierarchy... What reasons make the actual mac
VM different from my uninformed intuition?

I like the Gold VM because the .app behaves more like a correct Mac
application (it can open several images for instance), but it doesn't
have UnixOSProcess...

> > You can't fix it to avoid them to be compiled on a Mac?

That would be the job of autoconf ?

Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

johnmci

On Apr 17, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Damien Pollet wrote:

> I like the Gold VM because the .app behaves more like a correct Mac
> application (it can open several images for instance), but it doesn't
> have UnixOSProcess...

Try the
UnixOSProcessPlugin.4.0.1.bundle.zip

that I stuck on my ftp site, or idisk, and let me know what you think.

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

timrowledge

I wrote a little ReadMe.txt to put in the platforms directory. I
added it to my svn localcopy. I try to commit it and just get:-

Adding         /Users/tim/Documents/Squeak/VMM3.8-64bit/platforms/
ReadMe.txt
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: CHECKOUT of '/svn/squeak/!svn/ver/1655/trunk/platforms':
authorization failed (http://squeakvm.org)

I have no idea whatsoever what I am supposed to do about that. It
used to work, but I have moved Macs recently so perhaps something got
fubard. If anyone can explain it would be most helpful.

The file reads (just in case somebody else would like to add it)
++++++++++++++++++++++++
ReadMe.txt for 'platforms'.

This is the directory tree for the hand-written code, build
documentation, resources and makefiles for the Squeak VM. It is
maintained in an SVN repository kept at http://squeakvm.org.

Other parts of the sourcecode are generated from within Squeak by
using the VMMaker application, which is available via the SqueakMap
Package Loader built in to Squeak.

See http://www.squeak.org for information about Squeak, including how
to download it. See  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/vmmaker for
information about the VMMaker application.

Information specific to the different platforms supported by this set
of sourcecode should be found in the 'docs' directory inside the
subdirectories named for each platform.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

tim
Strange OpCodes: IG: Insert Garbage

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Andreas.Raab

I had some problems after Ian completed the last server move. I suspect
that may have to do with it. Other than that it looks like a nice, short
and to the point readme.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

tim Rowledge wrote:

> I wrote a little ReadMe.txt to put in the platforms directory. I added
> it to my svn localcopy. I try to commit it and just get:-
>
> Adding
> /Users/tim/Documents/Squeak/VMM3.8-64bit/platforms/ReadMe.txt
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: CHECKOUT of '/svn/squeak/!svn/ver/1655/trunk/platforms':
> authorization failed (http://squeakvm.org)
>
> I have no idea whatsoever what I am supposed to do about that. It used
> to work, but I have moved Macs recently so perhaps something got fubard.
> If anyone can explain it would be most helpful.
>
> The file reads (just in case somebody else would like to add it)
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++
> ReadMe.txt for 'platforms'.
>
> This is the directory tree for the hand-written code, build
> documentation, resources and makefiles for the Squeak VM. It is
> maintained in an SVN repository kept at http://squeakvm.org.
>
> Other parts of the sourcecode are generated from within Squeak by using
> the VMMaker application, which is available via the SqueakMap Package
> Loader built in to Squeak.
>
> See http://www.squeak.org for information about Squeak, including how to
> download it. See  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/vmmaker for information
> about the VMMaker application.
>
> Information specific to the different platforms supported by this set of
> sourcecode should be found in the 'docs' directory inside the
> subdirectories named for each platform.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: IG: Insert Garbage

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

Brad Fuller-3

tim Rowledge wrote:

> I wrote a little ReadMe.txt to put in the platforms directory. I added
> it to my svn localcopy. I try to commit it and just get:-
>
> Adding
> /Users/tim/Documents/Squeak/VMM3.8-64bit/platforms/ReadMe.txt
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: CHECKOUT of '/svn/squeak/!svn/ver/1655/trunk/platforms':
> authorization failed (http://squeakvm.org)
I've never seen a bang in the path. What does that mean?

If you do
# svn info
it'll tell you the repository root and URL. You could see if that
corresponds to what you think it ought to.

www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: Fwd: Compiling Squeak failed with VMMaker on Mac

johnmci

On Apr 17, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Damien Pollet wrote:

> On 17/04/07, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, there is two "flavours" of builds for Mac OS. The one you
>> choose
>
> Shouldn't there be only one ?

Well imagine the world when you could pick between TWO solutions for
your open source needs,
imagine asking your boss for approval to do a study to pick the
"better" choice, versus arguing about
risk when only a sole choice exists as your proposed solution.

===