Getting rid of coloured code

123

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

Herbert König
Hi
>    I _think_
> it's when you view the senders of some message in the currently viewed
> method, you get the senders spliced into the viewed list, indented a
> bit.

to get this behaviour the Preference "trace messages" needs to be enabled.
checking....
Right now this only works for implementors, senders spawns a new window.
4.4 #12332

Cheers

Herbert

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

Frank Shearar-3
On 28 February 2013 18:46, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
>>    I _think_
>> it's when you view the senders of some message in the currently viewed
>> method, you get the senders spliced into the viewed list, indented a
>> bit.
>>
> to get this behaviour the Preference "trace messages" needs to be enabled.
> checking....
> Right now this only works for implementors, senders spawns a new window. 4.4
> #12332

Mm, that's actually a 4.5 image - 4.4-12327 was the last 4.4 image :)

But thanks for the extra info. I'll have to look at the preference later on.

frank

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

timrowledge

On 27-02-2013, at 6:04 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Casey and Dave for the references to get a working DynaBook
> Junior image.
>
> It works fine.
>
> A thing which might not be obvious it to download the example stack
> http://tinlizzie.org/lesserphic2/aboutDBJr%205-Aug.morph
> in addition, locate it with the file browser and then choose 'load as morph'

It sorta works on my Pi; rather slowly but that seems to be an oldish looking image. It also fail when trying to dreatee a log file of some sort because the ancient AcornFileDirectory code isn't handling /Users/tim/Dowlnloads very well. Not too surprisingly, to be honest. Quite where it got the idea that the default directory is a UnixFileDirectory on /Users/tim/Downloads I'm not sure. Oh, wait; something in the FilreDirectroy startUp failed because of an invalid utf8 input detected. Holey Kao - that UTF8TExtConverter>nextFromStream: method is scary.

But bugs can be fixed and this would make a neat project to extend and improve and make into a usable application.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LTT: Lose Timing Track

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

Casey Ransberger-2
Optimization was not a goal of the research. I did notice that the image was a bit slow even on my Mac. I didn't bother to profile.

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, Yoshiki, for the clarification.

I understand that you are doing research prototypes at VPRI and not
supported products and you do many of them.

But I have the impression that the VPRI and you are a bit too modest
in terms of advertising the results.

On 2/28/13, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is not that we at Viewpoints are trying to be secretive, but we do
> have a newer system (or systems).

Do you think that the existing code (the HyperCard stack
implementation) in http://tinlizzie.org/lesserphic2/
is under MIT license, thus compatible with Squeak 4.0 + ?

I'd like to look into porting it to a newer release of Squeak and/or Cuis?

It looks like the "Moshi image" is an internal fork you use at VPRI?
Do you see any possible problem areas when porting it to a newer
version / different fork?

> Hopefully we can put some code out
> when our report is done.

Great. And a few appendices with README.md and release information type of info.

> (Sorry for keeping people guessing.)

That is fine. You wrote the mail and so stopped us from doing guess work  ;-)

> --
> -- Yoshiki

--Hannes

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
We have an internal image based on the trunk actually and the active
development is being done in that image.  (That's why there are
occasional bug reports from the VPRI folks other than Bert^^;)

The Lesserphic version of DBJr is considered to be obsolete.  It uses
the "Etoys-style" uniclasses for pages but we later figured out a
simpler way of implementing it.

-- Yoshiki

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

Hannes Hirzel
On 2/28/13, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is not that we at Viewpoints are trying to be secretive, but we do
> have a newer system (or systems).  Hopefully we can put some code out
> when our report is done.
>
> (Sorry for keeping people guessing.)
>
> --
> -- Yoshiki

Hello Yoshiki,

are there any news on this? Or a screen shot maybe?

Regards
Hannes

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/28/13, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It is not that we at Viewpoints are trying to be secretive, but we do
>> have a newer system (or systems).  Hopefully we can put some code out
>> when our report is done.
>>
>> (Sorry for keeping people guessing.)
>>
>> --
>> -- Yoshiki
>>

> Hello Yoshiki,
>
> are there any news on this? Or a screen shot maybe?

 A new research report is indeed up:

http://www.vpri.org/pdf/m2013003_ksapps.pdf

and the (final) annual report is getting ready but it'll take a bit
more time.  Unfortunately, neither has the actual details of the new
DBJr organization.

I am intending to release the code, once we do necessary clean up.

Thank you for being interested.

-- Yoshiki

Re: About HyperCard ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Getting rid of coloured code)

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, Yoshiki,  for the interesting research report 'Making
applications in KSWorld' and the equally interesting report of October
2012 'A Report on KScript and KSWorld'
http://www.vpri.org/html/writings.php

Chapter 6 of the the October report talks about  the hosting
environment which happens to be Squeak

<citation>
Hosting Environment: Squeak
As of this writing, the KSWorld is hosted on top of Squeak Smalltalk [10]. A
special Morphic widget called KSMorph is created under RectangleMorph.
</citation>

I assume 'KS' in 'KSWorld' just means 'KScript'?  And the 'K' should
be associated with 'CoffeeScript'?

The scripting language for this Hypercard like environment (but with
uniform objects down to the character level) is a variant of
CoffeeScript?

--Hannes

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Yoshiki,  for the interesting research report 'Making
> applications in KSWorld' and the equally interesting report of October
> 2012 'A Report on KScript and KSWorld'
> http://www.vpri.org/html/writings.php
>
> Chapter 6 of the the October report talks about  the hosting
> environment which happens to be Squeak
>
> <citation>
> Hosting Environment: Squeak
> As of this writing, the KSWorld is hosted on top of Squeak Smalltalk [10]. A
> special Morphic widget called KSMorph is created under RectangleMorph.
> </citation>
>
> I assume 'KS' in 'KSWorld' just means 'KScript'?  And the 'K' should
> be associated with 'CoffeeScript'?

Well, not all these characters have meanings.  It could mean anything.

> The scripting language for this Hypercard like environment (but with
> uniform objects down to the character level) is a variant of
> CoffeeScript?

KScript, yes.  The syntax of it has been changed since October.  So
looking at the new one would be good.  In the new document, Section
7.1 discusses the "Document Model" and Section 8.9 says it took about
200 lines to implement.

--
-- Yoshiki

123