[Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

12

[Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

     As I recall, there used to be a "GLASS appliance" available, a
VMWare virtual machine that had GLASS already installed and
self-contained. Is that still around online somewhere?

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

James Foster-9
I believe it has been removed from http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/downloads.html because it was out-of-date and (as Dale said earlier today) the expectation is that people will use other approaches. There are a couple alternatives. What is your use-case?

James

On Nov 5, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi--
>
>     As I recall, there used to be a "GLASS appliance" available, a
> VMWare virtual machine that had GLASS already installed and
> self-contained. Is that still around online somewhere?
>

>     thanks!
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +1 510 984 8117
> (Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Dale Henrichs-3
It was too much work to maintain the appliance ... we never got to the point of completely automating the building of the appliance...

I recommend that you use the installGemStone.sh script[1]. You supply the GemStone version number as an argument and the script does the rest, installing GemStone in /opt/gemstone. Then you follow the starting gemstone instructions[2]... This script works on all supported platforms and installs GemStone in a predictable manner.

Dale

[1] http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
[2] https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/StartingANativeStone

|      As I recall, there used to be a "GLASS appliance" available, a
| VMWare virtual machine that had GLASS already installed and
| self-contained. Is that still around online somewhere?
|

|      thanks!
|
| -C
|
| --
| Craig Latta
| www.netjam.org/resume
| +1 510 984 8117
| (Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

ccrraaiigg

Hi James and Dale--

     That all makes sense. My use case is that I'm just practicing my
GLASS web app development skills on my MacBook, and I wanted to avoid
having to remember how to set up Apache again. :)

     thanks again!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume
+1 510 984 8117
(Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Dale Henrichs-3
In the past I have gotten a Ubuntu 10.0.4 virtual machine from thoughtpolice and isntalled GemStone and lighttpd on it without having to moneky with too many things. Of course, I didn't let the vm run naked on the internet , but it was convenient to be able to simply copy my basic setup for different purposes ...

These days you'd want to use Ubuntu 12.0.4 as a starting point...

Dale
|      That all makes sense. My use case is that I'm just practicing my
| GLASS web app development skills on my MacBook, and I wanted to avoid
| having to remember how to set up Apache again. :)
|

|      thanks again!
|
| -C
|
| --
| Craig Latta
| www.netjam.org/resume
| +1 510 984 8117
| (Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

NorbertHartl
I like to remember that there is still my virtual-gemstone [1] project. At the moment it builds on virtualbox but as your relationship to vmware is less tight these days :) that shouldn’t be a problem.

So what it does basically is:

- It uses a project called veewee [2] to boostrap a virtual machine from a description file. Meaning you specify in a text file the memory size, disk, size and operation system and veewee builds the virtual machine and installs the basic OS
- veewee also installs chef [3] at the end
- this basic installation box is handed over to a tool called vagrant [4]
- vagrant configures the box copies recipes for chef in the box and runs chef
- chef recipes install system packages, download gemstone, install gemstone, install seaside in gemstone, etc.

So you can go from nothing but a couple of text files to a ready installed virtual appliance having gemstone installed and running. The deal with chef is even in a way that you can overlay the virtual-gemstone recipes with your own to build a machine that is tight to your needs. The real magic goes where you can exchange the operating system beneath just by changing one text file and run the whole stuff again.

If you are interested in keeping the project up and running I would welcome this. If there is a greater interest I might find the time to maintain it to a certain extent.

Norbert

[4] http://www.vagrantup.com/
Am 05.11.2013 um 21:03 schrieb Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

It was too much work to maintain the appliance ... we never got to the point of completely automating the building of the appliance...

I recommend that you use the installGemStone.sh script[1]. You supply the GemStone version number as an argument and the script does the rest, installing GemStone in /opt/gemstone. Then you follow the starting gemstone instructions[2]... This script works on all supported platforms and installs GemStone in a predictable manner.

Dale

[1] http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
[2] https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/StartingANativeStone

|      As I recall, there used to be a "GLASS appliance" available, a
| VMWare virtual machine that had GLASS already installed and
| self-contained. Is that still around online somewhere?
|

|      thanks!
|
| -C
|
| --
| Craig Latta
| www.netjam.org/resume
| +1 510 984 8117
| (Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

NorbertHartl
Quite interesting that there wasn’t any reply to this mail. So there is no interest in having an up-to-date appliance?

Norbert

Am 07.11.2013 um 09:52 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

I like to remember that there is still my virtual-gemstone [1] project. At the moment it builds on virtualbox but as your relationship to vmware is less tight these days :) that shouldn’t be a problem.

So what it does basically is:

- It uses a project called veewee [2] to boostrap a virtual machine from a description file. Meaning you specify in a text file the memory size, disk, size and operation system and veewee builds the virtual machine and installs the basic OS
- veewee also installs chef [3] at the end
- this basic installation box is handed over to a tool called vagrant [4]
- vagrant configures the box copies recipes for chef in the box and runs chef
- chef recipes install system packages, download gemstone, install gemstone, install seaside in gemstone, etc.

So you can go from nothing but a couple of text files to a ready installed virtual appliance having gemstone installed and running. The deal with chef is even in a way that you can overlay the virtual-gemstone recipes with your own to build a machine that is tight to your needs. The real magic goes where you can exchange the operating system beneath just by changing one text file and run the whole stuff again.

If you are interested in keeping the project up and running I would welcome this. If there is a greater interest I might find the time to maintain it to a certain extent.

Norbert

[4] http://www.vagrantup.com/
Am 05.11.2013 um 21:03 schrieb Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

It was too much work to maintain the appliance ... we never got to the point of completely automating the building of the appliance...

I recommend that you use the installGemStone.sh script[1]. You supply the GemStone version number as an argument and the script does the rest, installing GemStone in /opt/gemstone. Then you follow the starting gemstone instructions[2]... This script works on all supported platforms and installs GemStone in a predictable manner.

Dale

[1] http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
[2] https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/StartingANativeStone

|      As I recall, there used to be a "GLASS appliance" available, a
| VMWare virtual machine that had GLASS already installed and
| self-contained. Is that still around online somewhere?
|

|      thanks!
|
| -C
|
| --
| Craig Latta
| www.netjam.org/resume
| +1 510 984 8117
| (Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Göran Krampe
On 11/14/2013 11:35 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> Quite interesting that there wasn’t any reply to this mail. So there is
> no interest in having an up-to-date appliance?

I can just mention that we use the exact same toolset to build our
appliance at 3DICC - and we also use vagrant for automated builds in
various OSes etc.

regards, Göran

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Johan Brichau-3
Norbert,

Aha... I did not know about this.
Yes! that is very interesting.

Will investigate this...

On 14 Nov 2013, at 11:35, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quite interesting that there wasn’t any reply to this mail. So there is no interest in having an up-to-date appliance?
>
> Norbert
>
> Am 07.11.2013 um 09:52 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I like to remember that there is still my virtual-gemstone [1] project. At the moment it builds on virtualbox but as your relationship to vmware is less tight these days :) that shouldn’t be a problem.
>>
>> So what it does basically is:
>>
>> - It uses a project called veewee [2] to boostrap a virtual machine from a description file. Meaning you specify in a text file the memory size, disk, size and operation system and veewee builds the virtual machine and installs the basic OS
>> - veewee also installs chef [3] at the end
>> - this basic installation box is handed over to a tool called vagrant [4]
>> - vagrant configures the box copies recipes for chef in the box and runs chef
>> - chef recipes install system packages, download gemstone, install gemstone, install seaside in gemstone, etc.
>>
>> So you can go from nothing but a couple of text files to a ready installed virtual appliance having gemstone installed and running. The deal with chef is even in a way that you can overlay the virtual-gemstone recipes with your own to build a machine that is tight to your needs. The real magic goes where you can exchange the operating system beneath just by changing one text file and run the whole stuff again.
>>
>> If you are interested in keeping the project up and running I would welcome this. If there is a greater interest I might find the time to maintain it to a certain extent.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/noha/virtual-gemstone
>> [2] https://github.com/jedi4ever/veewee
>> [3] http://www.opscode.com/chef/
>> [4] http://www.vagrantup.com/
>> Am 05.11.2013 um 21:03 schrieb Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> It was too much work to maintain the appliance ... we never got to the point of completely automating the building of the appliance...
>>>
>>> I recommend that you use the installGemStone.sh script[1]. You supply the GemStone version number as an argument and the script does the rest, installing GemStone in /opt/gemstone. Then you follow the starting gemstone instructions[2]... This script works on all supported platforms and installs GemStone in a predictable manner.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> [1] http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
>>> [2] https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/StartingANativeStone

I was just going to send an email to you that I am interested in your project:) As I've mentioned elsewhere, I am caught up in internal development and tODE work at the moment, but I want to make room on my stack for working with you on this ... I am not an expert in this area, but I definitely see the value in having an appliance ....

Dale

Quite interesting that there wasn’t any reply to this mail. So there is no interest in having an up-to-date appliance?

Norbert

Am 07.11.2013 um 09:52 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

I like to remember that there is still my virtual-gemstone [1] project. At the moment it builds on virtualbox but as your relationship to vmware is less tight these days :) that shouldn’t be a problem.

So what it does basically is:

- It uses a project called veewee [2] to boostrap a virtual machine from a description file. Meaning you specify in a text file the memory size, disk, size and operation system and veewee builds the virtual machine and installs the basic OS
- veewee also installs chef [3] at the end
- this basic installation box is handed over to a tool called vagrant [4]
- vagrant configures the box copies recipes for chef in the box and runs chef
- chef recipes install system packages, download gemstone, install gemstone, install seaside in gemstone, etc.

So you can go from nothing but a couple of text files to a ready installed virtual appliance having gemstone installed and running. The deal with chef is even in a way that you can overlay the virtual-gemstone recipes with your own to build a machine that is tight to your needs. The real magic goes where you can exchange the operating system beneath just by changing one text file and run the whole stuff again.

If you are interested in keeping the project up and running I would welcome this. If there is a greater interest I might find the time to maintain it to a certain extent.

Norbert

[4] http://www.vagrantup.com/
Am 05.11.2013 um 21:03 schrieb Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

It was too much work to maintain the appliance ... we never got to the point of completely automating the building of the appliance...

I recommend that you use the installGemStone.sh script[1]. You supply the GemStone version number as an argument and the script does the rest, installing GemStone in /opt/gemstone. Then you follow the starting gemstone instructions[2]... This script works on all supported platforms and installs GemStone in a predictable manner.

Dale

[1] http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
[2] https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/StartingANativeStone

|      As I recall, there used to be a "GLASS appliance" available, a
| VMWare virtual machine that had GLASS already installed and
| self-contained. Is that still around online somewhere?
|

|      thanks!
|
| -C
|
| --
| Craig Latta
| www.netjam.org/resume
| +1 510 984 8117
| (Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Jon Paynter-2
Dale,

Once you get an vm appliance of some kind that is capable of running i would like to help test it.  My *nix experience slim to none, so having a working VM is really the only way I can work with glass.

Jon.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Norbert,

I was just going to send an email to you that I am interested in your project:) As I've mentioned elsewhere, I am caught up in internal development and tODE work at the moment, but I want to make room on my stack for working with you on this ... I am not an expert in this area, but I definitely see the value in having an appliance ....

Dale

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

Dale Henrichs-3
Thanks Jon! I'll let you know when we've got something ready ...

Am 14.11.2013 um 22:09 schrieb "Dale K. Henrichs" <[hidden email]>:

Norbert,

I was just going to send an email to you that I am interested in your project:) As I've mentioned elsewhere, I am caught up in internal development and tODE work at the moment, but I want to make room on my stack for working with you on this ... I am not an expert in this area, but I definitely see the value in having an appliance ....

Ok, that is all I wanted to hear. No need to rush. I might prepare a description how it works at the moment and we can discus that to figure out the form the appliance should have.

Norbert

> [...]

Dale

[1] http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
[2] https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/StartingANativeStone

|      As I recall, there used to be a "GLASS appliance" available, a
| VMWare virtual machine that had GLASS already installed and
| self-contained. Is that still around online somewhere?
|

|      thanks!
|
| -C
|
| --
| Craig Latta
| www.netjam.org/resume
| (Skype rings this until 31 January 2014)

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

FrankB
Hello,

I am looking for a working VMWare or VirtualBox appliance with GemStone GLASS and Pharo installed, not necessarily the latest version, that I can use to make some first acquaintance with GemStone.

Experience shows that it's not only an extreme waste of time and a highly frustrating task having to go through the typically quite complex installation hassle of a new development environment just because one would like to have a closer look at it. In many cases, installation simply fails.

Therefore, I would really prefer to download some well prepared demo / test / play virtual version.

Any link available?

Greetings
Frank

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

BrunoBB
Hi,

You can create a VM yourself, is not that difficult.
Download Ubuntu 14.04 from http://www.ubuntu.com/download. (iso file)

And then use VM Ware player to create the VM:
http://features.en.softonic.com/how-to-create-a-virtual-machine-in-vmware-player

After this you just follow GemStone installation instructions.

I did this a month ago.

Regards,
Bruno

PS: (for Ubuntu 14.04) i also installed GemStone in Centos.
in my case i had to run the following script to install some packages:
sudo apt-get -y install git
sudo apt-get -y install curl
sudo apt-get -y install libssl1.0.0:i386
sudo apt-get -y install libpam0g:i386
sudo apt-get -y install gcc-multilib libstdc++6:i386
sudo apt-get -y install unzip
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so
sudo apt-get -y install libx11-6:i386
sudo apt-get -y install libcgmanager0:i386
sudo apt-get -y install libudev1:i386
sudo apt-get -y install libgl1-mesa-glx:i386
sudo apt-get -y install libgl1-mesa-dev:i386

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

GLASS mailing list
The appliance is no longer available so building your own vm is the best
bet, as Bruno suggests.

I am in the process of putting together pretty comprehensive
instructions for installing GemStone [1], but I haven't quite automated
the os update process, but I do have manual instructions for preparing
Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubunut14.04[2]. And eventually I will supply
information about installing and configuration nginx and/or lighttpd ..
there are folks on this list who use one or the other and I'm sure they
can help with the configuration details.

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/issues/22
On 2/8/15 11:21 PM, FrankB via Glass wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a working VMWare or VirtualBox appliance with GemStone
> GLASS and Pharo installed, not necessarily the latest version, that I can
> use to make some first acquaintance with GemStone.
>
> Experience shows that it's not only an extreme waste of time and a highly
> frustrating task having to go through the typically quite complex
> installation hassle of a new development environment just because one would
> like to have a closer look at it. In many cases, installation simply fails.
>
> Therefore, I would really prefer to download some well prepared demo / test
> / play virtual version.
>
> Any link available?
>
> Greetings
> Frank

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

FrankB
Hello,

thank you for the answers (though it's not what I had hoped for). Actually, before posting here I had gone through all available links but they were all dead-ends.

If I will have to go through this awful hassle of installing it all, then I will forget about a VM and install it directly on my OpenSuSe machine, because:
- it' kind of the "German Linux"
- a cousin of mine has been working for them for many years and still knows many of their staff in Nürnberg
- and they seem to be leading in the corporate arena
- YAST saves me from a lot of this ugly ASCII terminal typing
- it's a shame that this world has not much improved in almost 30 years since I started working with *nix and selling Xenix, later Unix V based solutions way back in 1986 !!!

BTW: VW5 runs batches (parsing crawled files) on SuSe about 2,5-3 times faster compared to Win7 with almost identical hardware.

Greetings
Frank

Re: [Glass] GLASS appliance (VMWare virtual machine) still available?

GLASS mailing list
Hi Frank,

For a customer I am working for, I have a "template" VirtualBox image where I have GemStone installed and everything read and configured to put the app. The app I am working for is "multi site" in the sense that we can provide multi installations of the app under different sites. So I can have a X number of VirtualBox running, each running Y number of sites (each one GemStone).

I haven't hard many problems installing GemStone and I said, I do it only once because then I clone the VirtualBox VM when needed. I am also using Nginx, Monit, and other stuff.

My only comment is that SuSE does not seem to be in the official supported list. I haven't heard of people having problem at any Linux, but bear in mind that it may not be officially supported (GemStone guys please answer me if I am wrong). This doc: http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-3.2.pdf  suggest Ubuntu and Red Hat (I've been using CentOS without problems).

Best,

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 12:55 PM, FrankB via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Well,

It's not that difficult !!!

I'm from Windows world and installed GemStone/S in both Ubuntu and Centos without problems.

Regards,
Bruno
12