Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

12345

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Gilad Bracha
Josh,

Thanks for the thought.   I can certainly mentor such work - I'm already doing this with a number of Masters students. That said, I  have no idea if the ESUG community cares to include Newspeak related stuff in its list of projects.  My honest impression is that Newspeak doesn't really appeal to the Smalltalk community, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

One reason for this apparent lack of interest is that might be the fact that Newspeak is not really a Smalltalk dialect.  It's more of a Smalltalk descendant. It is quite easy to migrate from Smalltalk to Newspeak however; we've done that with a substantial body of code (most of the Strongtalk version of the blue book libraries, our own GUI and IDE code and a few other things) and the result is generally better than the original because of Newspeak's modularity properties.

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:

> Since ESUG is going to act as the umbrella organization for GSoC projects in all Smalltalk dialects, perhaps this offers an opportunity for Newspeak to recruit some labor?
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Cheers, Gilad

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Josh Gargus

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Gilad Bracha wrote:

> Josh,
>
> Thanks for the thought.   I can certainly mentor such work - I'm already doing this with a number of Masters students. That said, I  have no idea if the ESUG community cares to include Newspeak related stuff in its list of projects.  My honest impression is that Newspeak doesn't really appeal to the Smalltalk community, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

What do you base this impression on?  The amount of contributions to Newspeak?  The level of activity on the forums?

I have less data to go on than you do, but my guess is that Newspeak hasn't been quite mature enough for people who want to build projects in Newspeak (as opposed to working on Newspeak itself).  It seems like the situation is steadily improving (unfortunately, I haven't yet found time to play with the most recent release).

Anyway, in this case it's not the broad Smalltalk that matters, it's ESUG.  After looking at their website and the diversity of Smalltalk activities that they support, I would be surprised if they wouldn't happily include Newspeak projects under their GSoC umbrella.   Can't hurt to ask...

> One reason for this apparent lack of interest is that might be the fact that Newspeak is not really a Smalltalk dialect.

It's a Smalltalk to me, along with Smalltalk-72 and Self.  I've taken it for granted that most here see it that way, but I may be wrong.  Can I get a show of hands of anyone who doesn't think Newspeak is a Smalltalk?

Cheers,
Josh

>  It's more of a Smalltalk descendant. It is quite easy to migrate from Smalltalk to Newspeak however; we've done that with a substantial body of code (most of the Strongtalk version of the blue book libraries, our own GUI and IDE code and a few other things) and the result is generally better than the original because of Newspeak's modularity properties.
>

> On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:
>
>> Since ESUG is going to act as the umbrella organization for GSoC projects in all Smalltalk dialects, perhaps this offers an opportunity for Newspeak to recruit some labor?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Josh
>

> Cheers, Gilad

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Casey Ransberger
Hell, Ruby #isKindOf: Smalltalk, in that it has Smalltalk in it's
lineage. The best Ruby code is written like passable Smalltalk code,
with unnecessary syntax:)

Even hideous ECMA Script owes both it's past and it's future to Self.

Is Newspeak really such a departure then? I think Self is a Smalltalk.
Anyway, I think it would be neat to see Newspeak in GSoC. And  Squeak!

Ron

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

I'm in favor to invite Newspeak under this year GSoC umbrella, specially
for projects which will get Newspeak and Smalltalks closer together,
like code exchange ones, maybe even Monticello/Metacello on Newspeak?
Also portability libraries like Sport/Grease, actually everything which
eases portability of code between us.

That way Newspeak ideas will be known better and can be adapted in
future Smalltalks, and vice versa, Newspeak can profit from wast amount
of existing Smalltalk code.

What do other Newspeakers and Smalltalkers think about that?

Best regards
Janko
GSoC co-admin

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Janko Mivšek
On 07. 03. 2010 00:02, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> + Take the best parts of Seaside and Swazoo's HTTP protocol classes
> and create an HTTP package that could be optionally loaded with Grease
> and used by multiple projects.

This is actually very good idea and because we need to reimplement the
Swazoo HTTP messaging part due to licensing reasons anyway, even more
timely.

So, idea is to make an independent HTTP messaging library to be used for
both web servers and clients, and also for internal use in web
frameworks like Seaside, Aida and Iliad, to avoid unnecessary converting
as it happens now.

As a Swazoo maintainer a have quite an interest and I'm therefore
willing to mentor that project.

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Esug-list] HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 03/07/2010 10:59 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> This is actually very good idea and because we need to reimplement the
> Swazoo HTTP messaging part due to licensing reasons anyway, even more
> timely.

Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
need for Swazoo?

Paolo

Re: [Seaside] Re: [Esug-list] HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Janko Mivšek

On 07. 03. 2010 11:00, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 03/07/2010 10:59 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>> This is actually very good idea and because we need to reimplement the
>> Swazoo HTTP messaging part due to licensing reasons anyway, even more
>> timely.
>
> Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
> need for Swazoo?

Certainly, like improving the HTTP Server part according to your
suggestions and actual code. Also unifiying the portability layer (Sport
and Grease) under a common umbrella is a good idea, then we can move
Swazoo on that layer.

But Julian's idea came just at the right moment and it has a broader
appeal. We can then redesign the HTTP server part in the meantime. I see
many synergies there.

Best regards
Janko

On 03/07/2010 11:17 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

>> >  Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
>> >  need for Swazoo?
> Certainly, like improving the HTTP Server part according to your
> suggestions and actual code. Also unifiying the portability layer (Sport
> and Grease) under a common umbrella is a good idea, then we can move
> Swazoo on that layer.
>
> But Julian's idea came just at the right moment and it has a broader
> appeal. We can then redesign the HTTP server part in the meantime. I see
> many synergies there.

Ok, then I agree. :-)  But let's set the priorities straight. :-)

Paolo

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Julian Fitzell-2
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> + I'd really love to see a single RefactoringBrowser package that
>> could be loaded on all the platforms using Grease. I have no idea if
>> there's any chance of buy-in from the vendors on that one; maybe it
>> would need a new class name prefix so it could be loaded in
>> parallel...
>
> The various packages are all derived from the same one originally.  They
> have different GUis, and often have to interface to the system differently
> because different versions of Smalltalk have different APIs for classes and
> methods.  Does Grease provide an API for classes and methods?  Does it have
> a GUI?  Other than that, they will differ only because people have added
> features to one version and not to the other.  So, which version did you
> want to use?

I know, but they've essentially forked over the years. They may have
been one package once but they certainly aren't now and because of
that they continue to diverge. It may be that Grease isn't needed at
all - I don't know because I haven't dug into it. If all the current
functionality can be done with only ANSI APIs, then great. And no,
obviously the UI will continue to be different between platforms. Just
like Seaside, it's fine to have platform-specific subpackages but the
core should be loadable (ie. it would be nice if it was) on all
platforms.

Julian

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Julian Fitzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Certainly, like improving the HTTP Server part according to your
>>> suggestions and actual code. Also unifiying the portability layer (Sport
>>> and Grease) under a common umbrella is a good idea, then we can move
>>> Swazoo on that layer.
>>>
>>> But Julian's idea came just at the right moment and it has a broader
>>> appeal. We can then redesign the HTTP server part in the meantime. I see
>>> many synergies there.
>>
>> Ok, then I agree. :-)  But let's set the priorities straight. :-)
>
> I'm not suggesting it is the most urgent item, merely that it is
> beneficial, well defined (or at least well-scoped :) ), and
> potentially interesting for a student.

Gah... have to hit reply-all for cross-posted mailing lists posts... sigh.

Julian

Re: [Seaside] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

jgfoster
On Mar 6, 2010, at 7:04 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas. To do this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the information and put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short title and a paragraph (for the moment) explaining the idea.

I'd be willing to mentor a Namespaces for Pharo/Squeak project. See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5948.

James Foster

Re: [Seaside] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Torsten Bergmann
James Foster
>I'd be willing to mentor a Namespaces for Pharo/Squeak project.

That would be really cool to have. I liked the ones in Smalltalk/MT
where I can write

   MyNamespace::MyClass

Thx
T.

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Josh,

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Josh Gargus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's a Smalltalk to me, along with Smalltalk-72 and Self.  I've taken it for granted that most here see it that way, but I may be wrong.  Can I get a show of hands of anyone who doesn't think Newspeak is a Smalltalk?

me. The underlying abstractions are fundamentally different, and so is
the way of applying abstraction to problem domains. Smalltalk is
rather far away from late-binding (almost?) everything. Smalltalk
classes / objects are not modules the way the are in Newspeak.

Best,

Michael

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Ciprian Teodorov-3
Hi all,

I think that Newspeak at GSoC under ESUG umbrella is a very good idea. It will help Newspeak evolve but also I think that will help the smalltalk
community open its eyes and understand that evolution is the key to success. In my point of view Newspeak is a great step forward for the smalltalk community. Newspeak is a bold project that fixes (or at least tries to fix) lots of the problems the software community has for the moment, but also gives to smalltalk some of the thinks it never had.

Moreover as a smalltalk software developer I cannot help myself not noticing that the smalltalk community seems to be fixed on, what I call, the "BlueBook complex -- if it's not it the BlueBook it doesn't exist". Yes I agree the bluebook was a great step forward but, guys, we should accept change especially when it comes in terms of evolution.

So as a community lets help Newspeak mature, lets show the world that smalltalk is not dead, lets be the parents Newspeak needs in this moment.

Cheers

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Josh,

Thanks for the thought.   I can certainly mentor such work - I'm already doing this with a number of Masters students. That said, I  have no idea if the ESUG community cares to include Newspeak related stuff in its list of projects.  My honest impression is that Newspeak doesn't really appeal to the Smalltalk community, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

One reason for this apparent lack of interest is that might be the fact that Newspeak is not really a Smalltalk dialect.  It's more of a Smalltalk descendant. It is quite easy to migrate from Smalltalk to Newspeak however; we've done that with a substantial body of code (most of the Strongtalk version of the blue book libraries, our own GUI and IDE code and a few other things) and the result is generally better than the original because of Newspeak's modularity properties.

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:

> Since ESUG is going to act as the umbrella organization for GSoC projects in all Smalltalk dialects, perhaps this offers an opportunity for Newspeak to recruit some labor?
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Cheers, Gilad

--
Ciprian TEODOROV
Ph.D Student

phone: (+33)(0) 6 08 54 73 48
mail: [hidden email]
as.univ-brest.fr/ciprian
www.teodorov.ro

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Gilad Bracha
Josh,

On Mar 7, 2010, at 12:12 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Gilad Bracha wrote:

Josh,

Thanks for the thought.   I can certainly mentor such work - I'm already doing this with a number of Masters students. That said, I  have no idea if the ESUG community cares to include Newspeak related stuff in its list of projects.  My honest impression is that Newspeak doesn't really appeal to the Smalltalk community, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

What do you base this impression on?  The amount of contributions to Newspeak?  The level of activity on the forums?

Yes to both of those.

I have less data to go on than you do, but my guess is that Newspeak hasn't been quite mature enough for people who want to build projects in Newspeak (as opposed to working on Newspeak itself).

Newspeak on Squeak is very stable and has been since it was first released. What might be an issue is that Newspeak will evolve.
This means that you need to be willing to migrate forward as things change.  By and large, these migrations will be fully automated.

It's a Smalltalk to me, along with Smalltalk-72 and Self.

Ok, if you think of Self as a Smalltalk, then Newspeak would be too. I don't - there is the Smalltalk language family, to which all belong, and there is the Smalltalk language (with all its many dialects) , which is something different. It is a question of degree.

I'll respond to Janko separately.

Cheers, Gilad

Re: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Bert Freudenberg
On 06.03.2010, at 20:56, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas. To
>> do this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the information
>> and put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short title and a
>> paragraph (for the moment) explaining the idea.
>

> * MIDI support for the linux VM
>
> Basically implement the MIDI plugin that has been missing for years in the linux VM

That would be nice - though there is a t least some MIDI support in the ALSA plugin IIRC - have you looked at that?

> * DBus support for all platforms
>
> (don't really know about the current state of affairs here)

Is DBus used on anything but Linux? In any case, the DBusPlugin is a wrapper for libdbus so I'd expect it to just work ...

- Bert -

Re: [Esug-list] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Gilad Bracha
Hi Janko,

On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:03 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm in favor to invite Newspeak under this year GSoC umbrella,

Great!

> specially
> for projects which will get Newspeak and Smalltalks closer together,

So here is a very simple project. Create a nice tool in Newspeak that facilitates import/export from/to Smalltalk.
Most of the pieces already exist. The basics are easy, and as much polish can be added as time allows.

Title: Newspeak/Smalltalk Import/Export Tool

Create tooling in the Newspeak IDE that facilitates conversion of code from Smalltalk to Newspeak (import) and from Newspeak to Smalltalk (export).

Technical details: The tool will extend and integrate existing components in Newspeak, such as the Newspeak to Strongtalk compiler that essentially does source-to-source conversion to Smalltalk and spits out file out format for Strongtalk. It is easily adapted to other dialects. One can file in Squeak into the the system, and have tools that semi-automatically migrate  it in stages to Newspeak. These tools need to be made more robust, more sophisticated and better integrated. Adaptations to a number of different Smalltalk dialects beyond Squeak are desirable. Integration of tools such as Grease, Sport or Slime is a possibility.

Benefits to Student: Students will gain experience with technologies such as parser combinators, advanced module systems, mirror based reflection and GUI programming in the context of a IDE as well as exposure to a variety of Smalltalk dialects and to Newspeak and its modularity structures.

Benefits to the Community: increased sharing of software. Newspeak gains from the vast amount of available software in the Smalltalk community, and Smalltalk gains from some of the advances made in Newspeak.

Cheers, Gilad

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Frank Shearar
Josh Gargus wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Gilad Bracha wrote:
>
>> Josh,
>>
>> Thanks for the thought.   I can certainly mentor such work - I'm already doing this with a number of Masters students. That said, I  have no idea if the ESUG community cares to include Newspeak related stuff in its list of projects.  My honest impression is that Newspeak doesn't really appeal to the Smalltalk community, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
>

> What do you base this impression on?  The amount of contributions to Newspeak?  The level of activity on the forums?
>
> I have less data to go on than you do, but my guess is that Newspeak hasn't been quite mature enough for people who want to build projects in Newspeak (as opposed to working on Newspeak itself).  It seems like the situation is steadily improving (unfortunately, I haven't yet found time to play with the most recent release).
>
> Anyway, in this case it's not the broad Smalltalk that matters, it's ESUG.  After looking at their website and the diversity of Smalltalk activities that they support, I would be surprised if they wouldn't happily include Newspeak projects under their GSoC umbrella.   Can't hurt to ask...
>
>> One reason for this apparent lack of interest is that might be the fact that Newspeak is not really a Smalltalk dialect.
>

> It's a Smalltalk to me, along with Smalltalk-72 and Self.  I've taken it for granted that most here see it that way, but I may be wrong.  Can I get a show of hands of anyone who doesn't think Newspeak is a Smalltalk?

For what it's worth, I'll raise my hand for the "is a Smalltalk" side.

This debate reminds me of the Lisp family: Dylan, Common Lisp, Scheme,
Logo, ...

frank

Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> James Foster
>> I'd be willing to mentor a Namespaces for Pharo/Squeak project.
>
> That would be really cool to have. I liked the ones in Smalltalk/MT
> where I can write
>
>    MyNamespace::MyClass

And Göran hasn't replied yet?!

frank

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Julian Fitzell-2
On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Frank Shearar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This debate reminds me of the Lisp family: Dylan, Common Lisp, Scheme, Logo,

Yup, kind of a pointless philosophical debate. The only actually
relevant question is whether anyone would object if there was a
student who really wanted to work on Newspeak for the summer and did
so under ESUG's banner. I can't see a downside to that... it's not
like someone who would otherwise have worked on Seaside is now going
to be suddenly "stolen away" by Newspeak, leaving fewer students for
the rest of us. :)

Having more interesting projects and stellar mentors can only help
ESUG's application I would think.

Julian

12345