Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

12345

Re: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Stéphane Rollandin

>> * MIDI support for the linux VM
>>
>> Basically implement the MIDI plugin that has been missing for years in the linux VM
>
> That would be nice - though there is a t least some MIDI support in the ALSA plugin IIRC - have you looked at that?

no. any pointer ?

>> * DBus support for all platforms
>>
>> (don't really know about the current state of affairs here)
>
> Is DBus used on anything but Linux? In any case, the DBusPlugin is a wrapper for libdbus so I'd expect it to just work ...

there is a DBus port for Windows; Emacs support it, for example. I don't
know about other platforms.

Re: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Bert Freudenberg
On 07.03.2010, at 16:54, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>>> * MIDI support for the linux VM
>>>
>>> Basically implement the MIDI plugin that has been missing for years in the linux VM
>>
>> That would be nice - though there is a t least some MIDI support in the ALSA plugin IIRC - have you looked at that?
>
> no. any pointer ?

http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/MIDIPlugin/sqUnixMIDIALSA.inc

- Bert -

Re: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Stéphane Rollandin

On 07.03.2010, at 17:34, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/MIDIPlugin/sqUnixMIDIALSA.inc
>
> ok, thanks. is this part of the linux VM ?

I think so.

- Bert -

MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

Stéphane Rollandin
actually I have not made myself clear about the MIDI support:

currently I'm developing a musical composition framework on Windows,
where the MIDIplugin works fine. on linux, there is no MIDIplugin built
in the VM

so I have this test:

        | plugins |

        plugins _ (SmalltalkImage current listBuiltinModules, SmalltalkImage
current listLoadedModules) collect: [:pn | (pn findTokens: ' ') first
asSymbol].

        self assert: (plugins identityIncludes: #MIDIPlugin).

... which fails in linux, and I would like to have it green, and use the
MIDIplugin exactly as in Windows.

is this possible now ? is it possible from the code you gave me ?

best,

Re: MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

Bert Freudenberg
On 07.03.2010, at 17:41, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> actually I have not made myself clear about the MIDI support:
>
> currently I'm developing a musical composition framework on Windows, where the MIDIplugin works fine. on linux, there is no MIDIplugin built in the VM
>
> so I have this test:
>

> | plugins |
>
> plugins _ (SmalltalkImage current listBuiltinModules, SmalltalkImage current listLoadedModules) collect: [:pn | (pn findTokens: ' ') first asSymbol].
>
> self assert: (plugins identityIncludes: #MIDIPlugin).
>

> ... which fails in linux, and I would like to have it green, and use the MIDIplugin exactly as in Windows.
>
> is this possible now ? is it possible from the code you gave me ?
>

> best,
>
> Stef

Maybe. But be aware that your test is faulty. #listLoadedModules only lists loaded plugins and does not find available external plugins. You should remove #listBuiltinModules from your test, and ensure the plugin was loaded before (by calling any primitive in that module).

- Bert -

Re: MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

Stéphane Rollandin
> Maybe. But be aware that your test is faulty.

thanks, I will fix it.

still, my question remains: can we at the moment have a MIDI support in
linux ? like, just be able to use SimpleMIDIPort ?

AFAIK this has been missing for years.

regards,

On 07.03.2010, at 18:22, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> Maybe. But be aware that your test is faulty.
>
> thanks, I will fix it.
>
> still, my question remains: can we at the moment have a MIDI support in linux ? like, just be able to use SimpleMIDIPort ?

I don't know. Try it. Report back if it loads the plugin, and if it works.

> AFAIK this has been missing for years.

Interest has been low. But the ALSA MIDI support was added 3 years ago and nobody much cared.

If you really care, dig into the C code and make it work - the VM maintainers happily accept patches. :)

- Bert -

Re: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Gary Dunn
On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 13:04 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
> are not sure if we will succeed this year but we will try to do as
> much as possible.
>
> We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009
> is that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is
> why this year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as
> the mentor organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk
> dialects, not only Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk,
> Cuis..they are all invited to participate. Also cross platform
> projects like Seaside, AidaWeb, Magma, etc are welcome.
>
> <forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
> It is a Google program that support (money) students to work on
> different open-source projects. Google doesn't talk or manage directly
> to the students but trough "Mentoring Organisations". Those
> organizations have to apply to GSoC. They have to give a lot of
> information, included a list of ideas/projects. Each project has a
> description and a mentor. Then the students apply for each project. If
> the organization gets selected by Google they will tell you how many
> "slots" they give. Suppose they give 5 but we have 20 projects....then
> we vote and the most voted projects win. The student has to do the
> project and the mentor has to help and guide him. The mentor receives
> 500 USD and the student 4500USD.
> For more information read: http://code.google.com/soc/
> </forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
>
> The most important thing is the deadlines we have. We started late so
> we are very near to the first deadline which is 12/03/2010 (less than
> one week). For that deadline we need to submit all the information of
> the mentor organization (answering several questions) and give the
> list of ideas/projects and the mentors of that.
>
> We have created a webpage (Thanks Janko!!) where we will put all the
> information. We will make this page public soon (we still need to
> review a couple of things).
> But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas.
> To do this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the
> information and put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short
> title and a paragraph (for the moment) explaining the idea.
> After, we need that the people that are willing to be mentors start to
> apply as mentors...please, consider yourself being mentor. Sometimes
> it is not that difficult. I mean, don't be shy as sometimes being
> helpful, being aware of the dates, answering emails, etc is more
> important than the Smalltalk knoweldege. We can have a lot of ideas,
> but we need also mentors for that. We even would need a "substitute"
> for each mentor...
>
> Just as an example you can see the ideas of the previous years:
> 2007: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5936
> 2008: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6031
> 2009: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6120
>
> That's all for the moment.
>
> Cheersg for the application period to open

Please see the Open Slate Ideas page for the list of projects we will be
submitting.

http://openslate.net/ideas.html

Have been waiting for the application period to open, which it just did.
I don't think any of ours are suitable for Smalltalk beyond Squeak, but:

    1. Will there be a Squeak submission, which OSP could join? From
this it sounds like "no."

    2. Does anyone think any of ours should go forward to ESUG?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]

Re: MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

David T. Lewis
(cc to vm-dev list)

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:22:38PM +0100, St?phane Rollandin wrote:

> still, my question remains: can we at the moment have a MIDI support in
> linux ? like, just be able to use SimpleMIDIPort ?
>
> AFAIK this has been missing for years.

Stef,

I don't know the status of MIDIPlugin support on Linux but I can tell
you that the plugin does compile, and I think that it is distributed
as a builtin plugin in Ian's latest VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/.

I'm afraid that I know very little about MIDI, and I don't have any
actual MIDI devices to test on (*), but if you (or someone else) are
in a position to do the testing, perhaps we can collaborate to get it
working. I think that this plugin was done originally for Windows,
so it might be necessary to do some work mapping it properly to device
names on Linux. We did something like this recently for the SerialPlugin
to make it work with USB serial devices, and I'm sure it would be
possible to do something similar for MIDI if that is the issue.

Dave

(*) Actually maybe I do have such a device, I'll have to go read the
manual and see if I can figure out what it does.

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 16:04 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 06.03.2010, at 20:56, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> >
> >> But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas. To
> >> do this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the information
> >> and put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short title and a
> >> paragraph (for the moment) explaining the idea.
> >

> > * MIDI support for the linux VM
> >
> > Basically implement the MIDI plugin that has been missing for years in the linux VM
>
> That would be nice - though there is a t least some MIDI support in the ALSA plugin IIRC - have you looked at that?
>
> > * DBus support for all platforms
> >
> > (don't really know about the current state of affairs here)
>
> Is DBus used on anything but Linux? In any case, the DBusPlugin is a wrapper for libdbus so I'd expect it to just work ...

FreeBSD uses dbus, at least when Gnome is installed. I think KDE also
uses it.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]

Re: MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

Stéphane Rollandin
>> still, my question remains: can we at the moment have a MIDI support in linux ? like, just be able to use SimpleMIDIPort ?
>
> I don't know. Try it. Report back if it loads the plugin, and if it works.

oh, it doesn't. there is no MIDI support in the linux VM, I have already
said so a few times now, let's say it's the last time I say it :)

> If you really care, dig into the C code and make it work - the VM maintainers happily accept patches. :)

no, I won't, sorry, it's not trivial and I have no experience in that
domain.

cheers,

Re: MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

Stéphane Rollandin
hi,

thanks for your help !

actually no special hardware is needed to test the MIDI plugin, packages
timidity and pmidi are enough

Timidity is a soft synth; it can be started in server mode with command

        timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

now we have a list of available MIDI ports with command

        pmidi -l

in my system this lists 6 ports. one is enough for testing: in a Squeak
workspace, evaluate

        SimpleMIDIPort primPortCount

I get 0, because the primitive failed.

there is indeed a so.MIDIPlugin file in the VM library folder, but to my
eyes it does not seem to work. any help appreciated... this is with the
latest VM, 3.11.3-2135

best,

Re: Newspeak GSoC?

Mariano Martinez Peck
the question is, do you have projects to be part of GSoC Gilad ?

If true, send me the title of the project, a description and if possible, titles as "Technical Details", "Benefits to the Student" and "Benefits to the Community".

The deadline is....2 or 3 days :)

Ahh each project needs a mentor. Those projects without mentors will be discarded. The same mentor cannot be in more than one project.

Cheers

Mariano

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Josh,

Thanks for the thought.   I can certainly mentor such work - I'm already doing this with a number of Masters students. That said, I  have no idea if the ESUG community cares to include Newspeak related stuff in its list of projects.  My honest impression is that Newspeak doesn't really appeal to the Smalltalk community, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

One reason for this apparent lack of interest is that might be the fact that Newspeak is not really a Smalltalk dialect.  It's more of a Smalltalk descendant. It is quite easy to migrate from Smalltalk to Newspeak however; we've done that with a substantial body of code (most of the Strongtalk version of the blue book libraries, our own GUI and IDE code and a few other things) and the result is generally better than the original because of Newspeak's modularity properties.

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:

> Since ESUG is going to act as the umbrella organization for GSoC projects in all Smalltalk dialects, perhaps this offers an opportunity for Newspeak to recruit some labor?
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Cheers, Gilad

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:46:16PM +0100, St?phane Rollandin wrote:

> hi,
>
> thanks for your help !
>
> actually no special hardware is needed to test the MIDI plugin, packages
> timidity and pmidi are enough
>
> Timidity is a soft synth; it can be started in server mode with command
>
> timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100
>
> now we have a list of available MIDI ports with command
>
> pmidi -l
>
> in my system this lists 6 ports. one is enough for testing: in a Squeak
> workspace, evaluate
>
> SimpleMIDIPort primPortCount
>
> I get 0, because the primitive failed.

OK, I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the pointers.

I tried running "pmidi -l" on my laptop, and get this:

lewis@linux-6xfc:~/squeak> pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0

So that probably means I have a midi device on my sound card. I guess
that should be all I need to test the plugin, right?

Dave

Re: MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

Stéphane Rollandin
> I tried running "pmidi -l" on my laptop, and get this:
>
> lewis@linux-6xfc:~/squeak>  pmidi -l
>   Port     Client name                       Port name
>   14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
>
> So that probably means I have a midi device on my sound card.

or a software port (you will have another one if your start jack, for
example)

> I guess
> that should be all I need to test the plugin, right?

I think so, yes.

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck

5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).  Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C preprocessor implementation.

I think this project could be a good idea for GSoC.  As I said, I would love if it (optionally at least) could not to block the complete VM while a function is being called.

I would also love what you said: parse .h of libraries and automatically create the wrapper for Smalltalk. At least create the invocations to the functions, and map the structures to objects...

We need to write a title, a little description and if possible titles like "technical details", "benefits to the students" and "benefits to the community".

If you are interested please send it to me and I add it to the list.

We also need a mentor (and a student, of course)...anyone is willing to do it ?

Cheers

Mariano

Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Gilad Bracha-2
I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:

There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.

Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:

There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.

Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?

Yes, as you can read here:

http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#licenses

it says:

  1. What licenses do I have choose from?
  2. That depends on your mentoring organization. All code created by student participants must be released under an Open Source Initiative approved license. It's also extremely likely that your mentoring organization will have a preferred license(s) and that you will need to release your code under the license(s) chosen by that organization.

And as you can read in the link, LGPL seems to be accepted...so, from the GSoC point of view there is no problem with the license.

Cheers

Mariano

[...]

stephane ducasse-2
Mariano

Well I do not know anybody writing code under LGPL in Smalltalk.
So this is an issue. I think that having a license mess will not help. So we do not care about the fact that the project
use a apporved license, we care that people can/will use it afterwards.
So LGPL is not a good idea.

Stef

On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:
>
> There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
> Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.
>

> Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?
>

> Yes, as you can read here:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#licenses
>
> it says:
>
> • What licenses do I have choose from?
> That depends on your mentoring organization. All code created by student participants must be released under an Open Source Initiative approved license. It's also extremely likely that your mentoring organization will have a preferred license(s) and that you will need to release your code under the license(s) chosen by that organization.
>

> And as you can read in the link, LGPL seems to be accepted...so, from the GSoC point of view there is no problem with the license.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> 5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).  Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C preprocessor implementation.
>

> I think this project could be a good idea for GSoC.  As I said, I would love if it (optionally at least) could not to block the complete VM while a function is being called.
>
> I would also love what you said: parse .h of libraries and automatically create the wrapper for Smalltalk. At least create the invocations to the functions, and map the structures to objects...
>
> We need to write a title, a little description and if possible titles like "technical details", "benefits to the students" and "benefits to the community".
>
> If you are interested please send it to me and I add it to the list.
>
> We also need a mentor (and a student, of course)...anyone is willing to do it ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> --
> Cheers, Gilad