How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Hey, there!

...coming from here: http://forum.world.st/Hi-DPI-Check-tp4817402.html

Is there some algorithmic guru out there, who knows or could imagine how to draw nice-looking window shadows in Squeak?

My two cents: Shadow drawing is expensive... caching is inevitable... window resizing would slow down anyway...

Why am I asking this? We should/could get rid of all system windows having this small shadow but think about how to highlight the currently active window better with a nice shadow like this:

http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/clean_up_shadows_in_leopard_screenshots.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/121834/how-to-re-enable-the-mouse-pointer-drop-shadow-in-windows-8/

..hmmm... would this be a "killer application" for thinking about HW graphics acceleration in Squeak? :-D

Best,
Marcel

Re: How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

marcel.taeumel (old)
I did a quick spike to give a better idea of what I am talking about.

1) Here is the code:
better-shadow.cs

2) Here are some pictures:
new-shadows-1.png
new-shadows-2.png

I decided to always have rounded shadows -- even for rectangular windows/menus.

Do we want to have this with a preference in trunk?

Best,
Marcel

P.S.: Yes, resizing large (> 1000 pixels) windows gets slow on my Core i7. :-D

Re: How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Just to get an overall impression of your opinion: http://vote.pollcode.com/21247558

Best,
Marcel

Re: How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

timrowledge
I’m really not a fan of fake shadows around windows and *really* not  for menus. I don’t much like menus having icons either; they don’t add anything except space and time-to-open.

It seems to me to be a relic of an attempt to make computer screens look like paper-based desks in order to convince people that these new-fangled computy-thingies are useful. Well, we all know that now. This degree of fake-realism skeuomorphism simply isn’t needed here.

What *is* important is minimal clutter, maximum speed (anything that slows down a modern desktop machine is decidedly overdoing it!) and appropriate affordances to make discovering (and recalling) function reasonably easy.

tim
Oxymorons: Same difference

Re: How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

Karl Ramberg
Hi,
Good looks, some eye candy and visual cues makes a more enjoyable work environment.
It's hard to design and keep workflow working for multiple different work styles, screen sizes and
computer speeds.

I personally do not have a strong opinion on window shadow, but I like the GUI to be fast and responsive.
So therefor I will probably turn off the shadow drawing.

Karl

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 7:17 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m really not a fan of fake shadows around windows and *really* not  for menus. I don’t much like menus having icons either; they don’t add anything except space and time-to-open.

It seems to me to be a relic of an attempt to make computer screens look like paper-based desks in order to convince people that these new-fangled computy-thingies are useful. Well, we all know that now. This degree of fake-realism skeuomorphism simply isn’t needed here.

What *is* important is minimal clutter, maximum speed (anything that slows down a modern desktop machine is decidedly overdoing it!) and appropriate affordances to make discovering (and recalling) function reasonably easy.

tim
Oxymorons: Same difference

Re: How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Considering menu icons, you must not overdo it and provide an icon for each and every item. Having this, icons can speed up item localization in larger (>5) lists. However, icons should still be somewhat useful and appropriate --- and not using an icon for the sake of itself.

For the shadow: Discovering the currently active window (and keyboard focus) at a glance should be a must-have in such a working environment.

Still, there are so many different working styles out there. And people got used to so many stuff... ;-)

Best,
Marcel