Improving Pharo By Example

12345

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

Damien Cassou

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok I leave it to your capable hands and I will try to position images at the start of the page , though that is easier said than done :D

no! Don't do anything like that. LaTeX is capable of doing it by itself. You don't know where the page boundaries will be so it is hopeless for you :-). What you must ensure though, is that all figures are properly referenced in the text. This is a good example:

... bla... bla... see Figure *fig:myfig*.

This is a bad example:

... bla... bla... see figure below:

This is bad because you can't be sure the figure will be below (it can also be above, LaTeX decides).

In any case chapters need proof reading so what I commit should never consider "the final version". But I always try to produce as much quality as I can.

No problem.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
finished Chapter 4. Damien your automatic conversion tool worked very well for me, it has been a huge boost to my workflow, there are problems with it that I keep reporting to its github repo . I definitely see if these minor problems are removed that the automatic conversion will do 90% of the work for you. I am sure these problems will be fixed very soon.

The things not converted at all like tables etc, which you find hard to parse , its not really a big deal fortunately there are not that many of them. So its not a problem to do them manually.

I also love Pillar , its simple, elegant and very easy to use for anyone that wants to produce pdf and html documentation. I would say that your Pillar experiment has been a huge success and I hope one day we will see it also included inside Pharo as on board documentation tool instead of a command line tool only.

In 2 months time I have managed to port 30% of the PBE to Pillar and I also added new stuff and replaced images with latest look from Pharo 3. Now with the automatic conversion its should be fairly easy to do the rest 70% till the end of the year.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> finished Chapter 4. Damien your automatic conversion tool worked very well
> for me, it has been a huge boost to my workflow, there are problems with it
> that I keep reporting to its github repo . I definitely see if these minor
> problems are removed that the automatic conversion will do 90% of the work
> for you. I am sure these problems will be fixed very soon.

I've fixed all your conversion bugs. The only remaining problem is for
Emacs syntax highlighting.

Thank you for reporting

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
you are very fast, great work Damien !

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> finished Chapter 4. Damien your automatic conversion tool worked very well
> for me, it has been a huge boost to my workflow, there are problems with it
> that I keep reporting to its github repo . I definitely see if these minor
> problems are removed that the automatic conversion will do 90% of the work
> for you. I am sure these problems will be fixed very soon.

I've fixed all your conversion bugs. The only remaining problem is for
Emacs syntax highlighting.

Thank you for reporting

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
hey guys I just committed the relevant files for gitbook for Updated PBE if someone can push into gitbook I will appreciate it because it seems that it cant authorise my account :(

I use

I enter my username and then password and it says"fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://push.gitbook.io/kilon/pbe.git/'" no idea why. On the other hand their book editor can log in to my account just fine but it also fails to publish the book.

In any case the book is ready to be published is just a single command line away :)

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:05 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
you are very fast, great work Damien !

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> finished Chapter 4. Damien your automatic conversion tool worked very well
> for me, it has been a huge boost to my workflow, there are problems with it
> that I keep reporting to its github repo . I definitely see if these minor
> problems are removed that the automatic conversion will do 90% of the work
> for you. I am sure these problems will be fixed very soon.

I've fixed all your conversion bugs. The only remaining problem is for
Emacs syntax highlighting.

Thank you for reporting

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
another stupid mistake I forgot to add the​ book. Ok all fixed. Book is uploaded and here is the link

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

SergeStinckwich
Great work Kilon !

Apparently, you have to remove .git in the name of your git repo (look
at the settings of your book), because everytime you click on star or
watch icon there is a wrong URL.

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
no idea how to do that Serge. git repo url looks to me read only does not allow me to modify it. It says I need to authenticate using the mail and password from setting but does not tell how. I also cannot add webhooks for UPBE git repo, I tried to fork to my own githube account still same problem.

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great work Kilon !

Apparently, you have to remove .git in the name of your git repo (look
at the settings of your book), because everytime you click on star or
watch icon there is a wrong URL.

Regards,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> another stupid mistake I forgot to add the book. Ok all fixed. Book is
> uploaded and here is the link
>
> https://www.gitbook.io/book/kilon/pbe

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Improving Pharo By Example

kilon.alios
looks like for some reason all my new commits fail to build the book in gitbook.io this is the error I am getting

Tweaking book.json
Failed to install extra plugins, maybe none to install
Building Site, will upload
Starting build ...

Error Output

/usr/bin/do-website: line 48:    34 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) gitbook build

in this link

says its a package.json file, dependencies, maybe pillar fails to build that file properly ? anyone else experiencing such a problem ?