Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I would like to load the Vivide IDE in the yet to be released Squeak 4.6.
(Preview here http://ftp.squeak.org/4.6/Squeak-4.6-All-in-One.zip)

On the Squeak ML I got the answer that I have to execute

Metacello new
  baseline: 'Vivide';
  repository: 'github://hpi-swa/vivide/repository';
  load: #(dev).
(Smalltalk classNamed: 'ViScriptArchive') mergeAll.

in a workspace.

However if I do that I get the answer 'Unknown variable - Metacello,
please correct or cancel'.

How do I bring Squeak 4.6 into a state where MetaCello is known?

Kind regards

Hannes Hirzel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

marcel.taeumel
Metacello can be loaded into Squeak 4.6 like this:
https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work

"Get the Metacello configuration (for Squeak users)"
Installer gemsource
    project: 'metacello';
    addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
    install.

"Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap' symbolic version"
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
  version: #'previewBootstrap') load.

"Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
  configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
  version: #stable;
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
  load.
"Now load latest version of Metacello"
Metacello new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
  get.
Metacello new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
  onConflict: [:ex | ex allow];
  load.

Just do-it one code snippet after another in a workspace. Then:

Metacello new
  baseline: 'Vivide';
  repository: 'github://hpi-swa/vivide/repository';
  load.

For more examples, load the package VivideScripts:
https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/tree/master/repository/VivideScripts.package

I think this last step might work via the Monticello Browser tools.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

Hannes Hirzel

I opened an 'Animated Morphic' project and wanted to add a class as
shown in the video

https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/blob/master/howto/howto-createclass.gif

However the result I got was different, see attached screen shot.

Is there something missing?

On 7/14/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Metacello can be loaded into Squeak 4.6 like this:
> https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work
>
> "Get the Metacello configuration (for Squeak users)"
> Installer gemsource
>     project: 'metacello';
>     addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>     install.
>
> "Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap' symbolic
> version"
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
>   version: #'previewBootstrap') load.
>
> "Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>   configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
>   version: #stable;
>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
>   load.
> "Now load latest version of Metacello"
> Metacello new
>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>   get.
> Metacello new
>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>   onConflict: [:ex | ex allow];
>   load.
>
> Just do-it one code snippet after another in a workspace. Then:
>
> Metacello new
>   baseline: 'Vivide';
>   repository: 'github://hpi-swa/vivide/repository';
>   load.
>
> For more examples, load the package VivideScripts:
> https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/tree/master/repository/VivideScripts.package
>
> I think this last step might work via the Monticello Browser tools.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Vivide_IDE_Add_Class_2015-07-14 15:28:55.png (98K) Download Attachment

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. It would  be helpful to have a ready-made Squeak 4.6 all-in-one
with Vivide preinstalled.

--HH

On 7/14/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I opened an 'Animated Morphic' project and wanted to add a class as
> shown in the video
>
> https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/blob/master/howto/howto-createclass.gif
>
> However the result I got was different, see attached screen shot.
>
> Is there something missing?
>

> On 7/14/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Metacello can be loaded into Squeak 4.6 like this:
>> https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work
>>
>> "Get the Metacello configuration (for Squeak users)"
>> Installer gemsource
>>     project: 'metacello';
>>     addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>>     install.
>>
>> "Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap'
>> symbolic
>> version"
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
>>   version: #'previewBootstrap') load.
>>
>> "Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
>> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>>   configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
>>   version: #stable;
>>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
>>   load.
>> "Now load latest version of Metacello"
>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>>   get.
>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>>   onConflict: [:ex | ex allow];
>>   load.
>>
>> Just do-it one code snippet after another in a workspace. Then:
>>
>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: 'Vivide';
>>   repository: 'github://hpi-swa/vivide/repository';
>>   load.
>>
>> For more examples, load the package VivideScripts:
>> https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/tree/master/repository/VivideScripts.package
>>
>> I think this last step might work via the Monticello Browser tools.
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

marcel.taeumel
Most of the time, you are dragging objects around. In this case, it is a block that contains the instructions to create that (other) object. If this is the case anywhere, just hit 'e' while dragging the object to evaluate it before dropping it.

Another drag-modifier is 's', which lets you script any dropped objects directly.

If you drag long enough, there will be a hint about possible drag modifiers in the bottom-right corner.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello again, Marcel

Thank you for the instruction how to get an 'Add class' window.

Waiting a few seconds after dragging out the 'Add class' window
brought up a hint.

After pressing 'e' the window appeared.

However while adding the class an emergency evaluator came up.

Maybe this is related to Squeak 4.6 because I had the similar thing
trying to leave an MVC project I created.

The videos on github are fine in terms of content but they play too
fast. So it is difficult to see which steps are actually involved
defining a class.

I suggest to go for a Squeak 4.6 all-in-one with Vivide preloaded so
that we have the same artifact we talk about while exploring the
Vivide functions.

Kind regards
Hannes Hirzel

On 7/15/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Most of the time, you are dragging objects around. In this case, it is a
> block that contains the instructions to create that (other) object. If this
> is the case anywhere, just hit 'e' while dragging the object to evaluate it
> before dropping it.
>
> Another drag-modifier is 's', which lets you script any dropped objects
> directly.
>
> If you drag long enough, there will be a hint about possible drag modifiers
> in the bottom-right corner.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Vivide_Emergency_debugger_when_adding_class2015-07-15 09:18:49.png (91K) Download Attachment

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Hannes,

the fact that a debugger should appear might be related to some Squeak 4.6 specifics. That it is an emergency debugger, however, was a bug in Vivide, which I just fixed. :-) Thanks for the bug report!

You can update your image or setup a new one. Updating should work, just close Vivide upfront and then follow the update instructions:
https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/wiki/FAQ

If you want to use the traditional Squeak debugger, open the preferences, look for the Vivide category and disable "Use Vivide Debugger".

Best,
Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

marcel.taeumel
Hey Hannes,

here is a latest stable build: http://www.lively-kernel.org/babelsberg/vivide

Best,
Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Hannes,

I also updated the FAQ about class creation: https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/wiki/FAQ

Best,
Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/16/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Hannes,
>
> here is a latest stable build:
> http://www.lively-kernel.org/babelsberg/vivide

Thank you, this is more convenient.

--HH

> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/16/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> I also updated the FAQ about class creation:
> https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/wiki/FAQ
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Now very clear.....

https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/wiki/FAQ#how-can-i-create-a-class-in-vivide

Very neat to have a video clip right in the FAQ.

Thank you.

--Hannes

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

marcel.taeumel
In case you missed it: http://forum.world.st/Vivide-IDE-td4837299.html :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you.

At the moment I'd like to add a method.

The video here
https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/blob/master/howto/howto-createmethod.gif

says I should tap two times. I assume you mean type two times the <enter> key.

I do not get an area where I can add the method code.

--Hannes

On 7/16/15, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In case you missed it: http://forum.world.st/Vivide-IDE-td4837299.html :)
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Loading Vivide IDE?

Hannes Hirzel
And how do I get the System Organisation list shown here

https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide/blob/master/howto/howto-createscript.gif

?