New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.1088/r3268

Squeak 5.0 release candidate.

Speed up normalize methods in LargeIntegersPlugin
by cacheing result of firstIndexableField.

Simplify integer conversion routines by adding byteSizeOfBytes: which assumes
argument is byte indexable (as LargeIntegers are).  Make sure integer conversion
routines consistently answer 0 on failure.  Use 4-byte access where possible.

Remove use of popInteger in AsFloat and integer comparison primitives (popStack
idiom is inefficient since multiplke writes as opposed to the single write in
the pop:thenPush: idiom).

Revise SpurMemoryManager>>isClassOfNonImm:equalTo:compactClassIndex: for
better dead code elimination.
best,
Eliot

Re: [Pharo-dev] New Cog VMs available

douglas mcpherson

I’ve also updated ARMv7 v3 and spur stack VMs.

Note:
I built the v3 and spur VMs on my new RPi2, which has a quad-core ARMv7. As Tim has already pointed out, these work even when building with FAST_BITBLT enhancements enabled. The cool thing is they also work on the BeagleBone Black ARMv7 (but building on the BBB with FAST_BITBLT enabled resulted in a segfault at image startup .. no idea why). And they appear to work on the older ARMv6 RPi too, so I’ll suspend building the v6 versions unless they’re needed. I haven’t tested on the Parallella yet.

Doug

On Mar 11, 2015, at 22:41, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.1088/r3268

Squeak 5.0 release candidate.

Speed up normalize methods in LargeIntegersPlugin
by cacheing result of firstIndexableField.

Simplify integer conversion routines by adding byteSizeOfBytes: which assumes
argument is byte indexable (as LargeIntegers are).  Make sure integer conversion
routines consistently answer 0 on failure.  Use 4-byte access where possible.

Remove use of popInteger in AsFloat and integer comparison primitives (popStack
idiom is inefficient since multiplke writes as opposed to the single write in
the pop:thenPush: idiom).

Revise SpurMemoryManager>>isClassOfNonImm:equalTo:compactClassIndex: for
better dead code elimination.
--
best,
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] [Pharo-dev] New Cog VMs available

douglas mcpherson

On Mar 12, 2015, at 00:59, Douglas McPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve also updated ARMv7 v3 and spur stack VMs.

Note:
I built the v3 and spur VMs on my new RPi2, which has a quad-core ARMv7. As Tim has already pointed out, these work even when building with FAST_BITBLT enhancements enabled. The cool thing is they also work on the BeagleBone Black ARMv7 (but building on the BBB with FAST_BITBLT enabled resulted in a segfault at image startup .. no idea why). And they appear to work on the older ARMv6 RPi too, so I’ll suspend building the v6 versions unless they’re needed. I haven’t tested on the Parallella yet.

The new ARMv7 builds are also confirmed to work on Parallella.

[...]

best,
Eliot

Re: [Pharo-dev] New Cog VMs available

marten
This post was updated on .
I tested these VMs under Odroid-C1 (arm based with 2 GB RAM and 1.6 GHz system) with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS together with Squeak 4.5 and the image comes up and seems to work.

The only problem I found was a message when starting the system:

pthread_setschedparam failed: Operation not permitted

When starting the binary via sudo no message is printed ...

Re: [Pharo-dev] New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Marten,

    re pthread_setschedparam, please read the README

Eliot (phone)

On Mar 14, 2015, at 6:23 AM, marten <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tested these VMs under Odroid-C1 with Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS together with
> Squeak 4.5 and the image comes up and seems to work.
>
> The only problem I found was a message when starting the system:
>
> pthread_setschedparam failed: Operation not permitted
>
> When starting the binary via sudo no message is printed ...

Re: [Pharo-dev] New Cog VMs available

marten

Ok, I made the security changes according to the README and the messages
are gone under odroid C1.

Am 14.03.2015 um 16:40 schrieb Eliot Miranda:

> Hi Marten,
>
>     re pthread_setschedparam, please read the README
>
> Eliot (phone)

Marten

--
Marten Feldtmann