Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sanjay Minni
Hi

In Pharo 3 + Seaside 3.1
I get the following error in Halos->class browser
when I edit renderContentOn: (add a line) and hit [accept]

    MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
    Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.

and also in Pharo 4 + seaside 3.1
the class browser does not work
(there is an error when loading Seaside itself which is in another post)

regards
Sanjay
cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?

Can you do something like

$ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized) sourceCode'
'capitalized
        "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"
        | cap |
        self isEmpty ifTrue: [ ^self copy ].
        cap := self copy.
        cap at: 1 put: (cap at: 1) asUppercase.
        ^ cap'

?

> On 11 Dec 2014, at 10:39, Sanjay-M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> In Pharo 3 + Seaside 3.1
> I get the following error in Halos->class browser
> when I edit renderContentOn: (add a line) and hit [accept]
>
>    MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
>    Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.
>
> and also in Pharo 4 + seaside 3.1
> the class browser does not work
> (there is an error when loading Seaside itself which is in another post)
>
> regards
> Sanjay
>

> -----
> ---
> Regards, Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sanjay Minni
I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the same directory

what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment

thanks
Sanjay

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.

> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the same
> directory
>
> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>
> thanks
> Sanjay
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?
>>
>> Can you do something like
>>
>> $ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized)
>> sourceCode'
>> 'capitalized
>> "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"
>> | cap |
>> self isEmpty ifTrue: [ ^self copy ].
>> cap := self copy.
>> cap at: 1 put: (cap at: 1) asUppercase.
>> ^ cap'
>>
>> ?
>>
>>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 10:39, Sanjay-M &lt;
>
>> sm@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> In Pharo 3 + Seaside 3.1
>>> I get the following error in Halos->class browser
>>> when I edit renderContentOn: (add a line) and hit [accept]
>>>
>>>   MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
>>>   Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.
>>>
>>> and also in Pharo 4 + seaside 3.1
>>> the class browser does not work
>>> (there is an error when loading Seaside itself which is in another post)
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Sanjay
>>>

>>> -----
>>> ---
>>> Regards, Sanjay
>>> --

> -----
> ---
> Regards, Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Sanjay,

Indeed, Sven is right. Check the Pharo30.sources (in the VM folder) and .changes file (same directory where the .image is) are in the correct place. I have just tried with my seaside image in 3.0 and it works correctly for me. As Sven said, if you open a workspace and print the result of:

(String>>#capitalized) sourceCode

What do you get? can you past it here?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.

> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the same
> directory
>
> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>
> thanks
> Sanjay
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Are you sure your image can access its changes and sources ?
>>
>> Can you do something like
>>
>> $ ./bin/pharo -vm-display-null t3.image eval '(String>>#capitalized)
>> sourceCode'
>> 'capitalized
>>      "Return a copy with the first letter capitalized"
>>      | cap |
>>      self isEmpty ifTrue: [ ^self copy ].
>>      cap := self copy.
>>      cap at: 1 put: (cap at: 1) asUppercase.
>>      ^ cap'
>>
>> ?
>>
>>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 10:39, Sanjay-M &lt;
>
>> sm@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> In Pharo 3 + Seaside 3.1
>>> I get the following error in Halos->class browser
>>> when I edit renderContentOn: (add a line) and hit [accept]
>>>
>>>   MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
>>>   Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.
>>>
>>> and also in Pharo 4 + seaside 3.1
>>> the class browser does not work
>>> (there is an error when loading Seaside itself which is in another post)
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Sanjay
>>>

>>> -----
>>> ---
>>> Regards, Sanjay
>>> --

> -----
> ---
> Regards, Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sanjay Minni
I do not get an error in the Seaside one-click experience 3.1 from seaside.st pharo page which uses pharo 2.0

With a fresh 3.0 image and loading seaside 3.1 using the Gofer method - the issue persists (i.e. I cannot save code from Seaside class browser and get an error:
      MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
      Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.)

and this is further broken in pharo 4.0 where the class browser does not come up completely

can I get some help as I do not wish to revert to an older pharo version

cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
This has nothing to do with Seaside or loading it.

You are running Pharo 3 with an older VM, you are missing PharoV30.sources in the correct place - you have only downloaded a new image, not the most recent sources.

Either you know how to fix this manually, or you need to download a more recent VM from pharo.org (preferably the full download) *AND* make sure you start with that VM, not your old VM.

> On 11 Dec 2014, at 13:52, Sanjay-M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do not get an error in the Seaside one-click experience 3.1 from seaside.st
> pharo page which uses pharo 2.0
>
> With a fresh 3.0 image and loading seaside 3.1 using the Gofer method - the
> issue persists (i.e. I cannot save code from Seaside class browser and get
> an error:
>      MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
>      Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.)
>
> and this is further broken in pharo 4.0 where the class browser does not
> come up completely
>
> can I get some help as I do not wish to revert to an older pharo version
>
> regards
> Sanjay
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.
>>
>>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M &lt;
>
>> sm@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>>
>>> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the
>>> same
>>> directory
>>>
>>> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Sanjay
>>>

>>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote

>>> -----
>>> ---
>>> Regards, Sanjay
>>> --

> -----
> ---
> Regards, Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sanjay Minni
I have overlaid the VM files with Pharo-VM-win-stable.zip downloaded 9th dec
I do have the files
  pharo.3.0.image
  pharo.3.0.changes
  PharoV30.sources
in the same directory as the VM

the only difference is that I am in a Win environment

I need the Windows equivalent of the command Sven suggested as nothing I am trying is working out

regards
Sanjay

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
This has nothing to do with Seaside or loading it.

You are running Pharo 3 with an older VM, you are missing PharoV30.sources in the correct place - you have only downloaded a new image, not the most recent sources.

Either you know how to fix this manually, or you need to download a more recent VM from pharo.org (preferably the full download) *AND* make sure you start with that VM, not your old VM.

> On 11 Dec 2014, at 13:52, Sanjay-M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do not get an error in the Seaside one-click experience 3.1 from seaside.st
> pharo page which uses pharo 2.0
>
> With a fresh 3.0 image and loading seaside 3.1 using the Gofer method - the
> issue persists (i.e. I cannot save code from Seaside class browser and get
> an error:
>      MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "generateWithSource" is nil
>      Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.)
>
> and this is further broken in pharo 4.0 where the class browser does not
> come up completely
>
> can I get some help as I do not wish to revert to an older pharo version
>
> regards
> Sanjay
>

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Sorry, I can't help you with Windows.
>>
>>> On 11 Dec 2014, at 12:04, Sanjay-M <
>
>> sm@
>
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> I am in a Windows environment and am running the VM and image from the
>>> same
>>> directory
>>>
>>> what is the equivalent of below in a Win 7 ennvironment
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Sanjay
>>>

>>> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote

>>> -----
>>> ---
>>> Regards, Sanjay
>>> --

> -----
> ---
> Regards, Sanjay
cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Torsten Bergmann
>Windows equivalent of the command Sven suggested as nothing I am trying is working out

Just print or inspect the following statement in a workspace:

   (String>>#capitalized) sourceCode

It should give you the source code for the method String>>capitalized when sources are
there.

Additionally you can/should try:

 1. Downloading a fresh Pharo 3.0 environment, for instance "Pharo3.0-win.zip" from http://files.pharo.org/platform/
 2. Extract in a directory and start by dragging the image onto the EXE
 3. In the world menu go to "Tools" -> "Configuration Browser"
 4. Search for Seaside3 and install it from the config browser

 Try if it has the same problem, I guess this is already the (possibly fixed) 3.1.3 version of Seaside.

Bye
T.

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Sanjay Minni
I went thru the steps below for loading a new image ...
Configuration Browser shows version dkh.213 which I installed ...
the problem is still the same

In a workspace, print-ing
   (String>>#capitalized) sourceCode
does print the source code ... in my original and this new image.

Do you think there could be a file locking issue in Windows on the image / changes files between Pharo and Seaside i.e. if there are 2 separate accesses being attempted.

regards
Sanjay

Torsten Bergmann wrote
>Windows equivalent of the command Sven suggested as nothing I am trying is working out

Just print or inspect the following statement in a workspace:

   (String>>#capitalized) sourceCode

It should give you the source code for the method String>>capitalized when sources are
there.

Additionally you can/should try:

 1. Downloading a fresh Pharo 3.0 environment, for instance "Pharo3.0-win.zip" from http://files.pharo.org/platform/
 2. Extract in a directory and start by dragging the image onto the EXE
 3. In the world menu go to "Tools" -> "Configuration Browser"
 4. Search for Seaside3 and install it from the config browser

 Try if it has the same problem, I guess this is already the (possibly fixed) 3.1.3 version of Seaside.

Bye
T.
cheers,
Sanjay

Re: Pharo 3 / Seaside 3.1 - development time error

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Sanjay,

Its not a Windows issue.  You found a bug in how Seaside is compiling code from the web browser's halo browser in Pharo3 & 4.

There is a discussion here about your problem:

http://forum.world.st/Opal-compilation-WAS-Re-Seaside-Re-Pharo-3-Seaside-3-1-development-time-error-td4795459.html

The compiler in Pharo changed between Pharo2 & Pharo3.  The process to have Seaside compile code from within a halo in the web browser seems to have a bug.

You can still code in the image, but coding in the web browser is broken at this time.

You could report your bug here:

https://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/list

Or someone else will do it if you prefer.

Sanjay-M wrote