Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

12

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Joshua Gargus-2
Thanks Justin,

  I would have had a heck of a time figuring this out if I hadn't
read your mail.

Josh

On Sep 17, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Justin Emmanuel wrote:

> I found out what the problem was (sort of). It is not xorg-x11 r7.
> It is the composite enabled options that I put in /etc/X11/
> xorg.conf. Once I removed these it all works fine. With this on.
> Opengl will not initialize in Croquet. So if anyone asks, that is a
> short term fix.

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Bert Freudenberg
Interesting. Do other OpenGL apps have this problem, too? If not, we
might be doing something wrong in setting up our GL context.

Any X11-savvy Linux developer out there? You might compare a working
app to our init code, see function display_ioGLcreateRenderer() in

        http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-
display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?rev=1571&view=auto

I wrote that code originally, but I'm not doing 3D under Linux anymore.

- Bert -

On Feb 11, 2007, at 4:29 , Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Thanks Justin,
>
>  I would have had a heck of a time figuring this out if I hadn't
> read your mail.
>
> Josh
>

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Justin Emmanuel wrote:
>
>> I found out what the problem was (sort of). It is not xorg-x11 r7.
>> It is the composite enabled options that I put in /etc/X11/
>> xorg.conf. Once I removed these it all works fine. With this on.
>> Opengl will not initialize in Croquet. So if anyone asks, that is
>> a short term fix.

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Ed Boyce
Bert,

   This is happening on several recent distros (including Fedora Core 5,6
atd Ubuntu 6.10), and in all cases, other OpenGL apps run fine and, as
far as I can tell, there in no references any composite enabled in
their xorg.conf files.  Perhaps we need to proactively disable
something with an OPTION statement in the videocard device section?

   This problem is preventing the SDK from working on the stock
installations (+nvidia binary and otherwise working OpenGL) of several
mainline Linux distributions.

       -- Ed

      --

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Interesting. Do other OpenGL apps have this problem, too? If not, we
> might be doing something wrong in setting up our GL context.
>
> Any X11-savvy Linux developer out there? You might compare a working
> app to our init code, see function display_ioGLcreateRenderer() in
>
> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-
> display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?rev=1571&view=auto
>
> I wrote that code originally, but I'm not doing 3D under Linux anymore.
>
> - Bert -
>
> On Feb 11, 2007, at 4:29 , Joshua Gargus wrote:
>
>> Thanks Justin,
>>
>>  I would have had a heck of a time figuring this out if I hadn't
>> read your mail.
>>
>> Josh
>>

>> On Sep 17, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Justin Emmanuel wrote:
>>
>>> I found out what the problem was (sort of). It is not xorg-x11 r7.
>>> It is the composite enabled options that I put in /etc/X11/
>>> xorg.conf. Once I removed these it all works fine. With this on.
>>> Opengl will not initialize in Croquet. So if anyone asks, that is
>>> a short term fix.

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Ric Moore
On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 17:24 -0500, Ed Boyce wrote:

> Bert,
>
>    This is happening on several recent distros (including Fedora Core 5,6
> atd Ubuntu 6.10), and in all cases, other OpenGL apps run fine and, as
> far as I can tell, there in no references any composite enabled in
> their xorg.conf files.  Perhaps we need to proactively disable
> something with an OPTION statement in the videocard device section?
>
>    This problem is preventing the SDK from working on the stock
> installations (+nvidia binary and otherwise working OpenGL) of several
> mainline Linux distributions.
>
>        -- Ed
>
>       --
>
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > Interesting. Do other OpenGL apps have this problem, too? If not, we
> > might be doing something wrong in setting up our GL context.
> >
> > Any X11-savvy Linux developer out there? You might compare a working
> > app to our init code, see function display_ioGLcreateRenderer() in
> >
> > http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-
> > display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?rev=1571&view=auto
> >
> > I wrote that code originally, but I'm not doing 3D under Linux anymore.
> >
> > - Bert -
> >
> > On Feb 11, 2007, at 4:29 , Joshua Gargus wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Justin,
> >>
> >>  I would have had a heck of a time figuring this out if I hadn't
> >> read your mail.
> >>
> >> Josh

Yes, this has been killing me and my friend Les, who is far far more
knowledgeable than I. Which options do you consider composite?
I have these set:

Section "Module"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
and:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
        Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

I just don't see a specific setting for composite. I do know all I get
running the Croquet Collaborative is the red screen of death, while I
can run all the games, programming tools, etc. It's just that none of
the demos seem to work. I run plenty of apps that otherwise run openGL
just fine. AFAIK. I sure hope to get this resolved. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Brad Fuller
Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 17:24 -0500, Ed Boyce wrote:
>
>> Bert,
>>
>>    This is happening on several recent distros (including Fedora Core 5,6
>> atd Ubuntu 6.10), and in all cases, other OpenGL apps run fine and, as
>> far as I can tell, there in no references any composite enabled in
>> their xorg.conf files.  Perhaps we need to proactively disable
>> something with an OPTION statement in the videocard device section?
>>
>>    This problem is preventing the SDK from working on the stock
>> installations (+nvidia binary and otherwise working OpenGL) of several
>> mainline Linux distributions.
>>
>>        -- Ed
>>
>>       --
>>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting. Do other OpenGL apps have this problem, too? If not, we
>>> might be doing something wrong in setting up our GL context.
>>>
>>> Any X11-savvy Linux developer out there? You might compare a working
>>> app to our init code, see function display_ioGLcreateRenderer() in
>>>
>>> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-
>>> display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?rev=1571&view=auto
>>>
>>> I wrote that code originally, but I'm not doing 3D under Linux anymore.
>>>
>>> - Bert -

> Yes, this has been killing me and my friend Les, who is far far more
> knowledgeable than I. Which options do you consider composite?
> I have these set:
>
> Section "Module"
> Load  "type1"
> Load  "freetype"
> Load  "glx"
> Load  "dbe"
> Load  "extmod"
> and:
> Section "Device"
> Identifier  "Videocard0"
> Driver      "nvidia"
> VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
> BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
> Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>
> I just don't see a specific setting for composite. I do know all I get
> running the Croquet Collaborative is the red screen of death, while I
> can run all the games, programming tools, etc. It's just that none of
> the demos seem to work. I run plenty of apps that otherwise run openGL
> just fine. AFAIK. I sure hope to get this resolved. Ric

Might be referring to:

Option  "Composite" "Enable"

see appendix s:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/README/README.txt

--
brad fuller
 http://www.Sonaural.com/

Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 17:24 -0500, Ed Boyce wrote:
>> Bert,
>>
>>    This is happening on several recent distros (including Fedora Core
>> 5,6
>> atd Ubuntu 6.10), and in all cases, other OpenGL apps run fine and, as
>> far as I can tell, there in no references any composite enabled in
>> their xorg.conf files.  Perhaps we need to proactively disable
>> something with an OPTION statement in the videocard device section?
>>
>>    This problem is preventing the SDK from working on the stock
>> installations (+nvidia binary and otherwise working OpenGL) of several
>> mainline Linux distributions.
>>
>>        -- Ed
>>
>>       --
>>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> > Interesting. Do other OpenGL apps have this problem, too? If not, we
>> > might be doing something wrong in setting up our GL context.
>> >
>> > Any X11-savvy Linux developer out there? You might compare a working
>> > app to our init code, see function display_ioGLcreateRenderer() in
>> >
>> > http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-
>> > display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?rev=1571&view=auto
>> >
>> > I wrote that code originally, but I'm not doing 3D under Linux
>> anymore.
>> >
>> > - Bert -

> Yes, this has been killing me and my friend Les, who is far far more
> knowledgeable than I. Which options do you consider composite?
> I have these set:
>
> Section "Module"
> Load  "type1"
> Load  "freetype"
> Load  "glx"
> Load  "dbe"
> Load  "extmod"
> and:
> Section "Device"
> Identifier  "Videocard0"
> Driver      "nvidia"
> VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
> BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
> Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>
> I just don't see a specific setting for composite. I do know all I get
> running the Croquet Collaborative is the red screen of death, while I
> can run all the games, programming tools, etc. It's just that none of
> the demos seem to work. I run plenty of apps that otherwise run openGL
> just fine. AFAIK. I sure hope to get this resolved. Ric

   This is the same failure mode I see, on several distros, with the same
xorg.conf settings for the nvidia card.

        -- Ed

> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Ed Boyce

> Might be referring to:
>
> Option  "Composite" "Enable"

   I've tried (on FC 6) Setting this both do "Disable" and "Enable" (and
restarting between of course).

   No effect on the failure mode.

      -- Ed

> see appendix s:
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/README/README.txt
>
> --
> brad fuller
>  http://www.Sonaural.com/
>  +1 (408) 799-6124

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Justin Emmanuel
This is going to be a problem as all the new distros have moved to a situation
where the composite extentions are enabled by default. because of the compiz
aiglx phenomena that is going on.

        Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

Is something that I would try and change to false. I cant test these things on
my current machine at the moment I am afraid, but I would also definatly
change the

Option  "Composite" "Enable"

to false as well. And if it don't exist, add it and set it to false as I think
that these things are now being added by default. Let us know how it goes for
you.

I would also like to find out if this is affecting all Squeak Opengl
applications or only Croquet as well. If anyone test this please let us know
how it goes.

Many thanks.

Justin Emmanuel

On Monday 12 February 2007 06:48, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 17:24 -0500, Ed Boyce wrote:
> >> Bert,
> >>
> >>    This is happening on several recent distros (including Fedora Core
> >> 5,6 atd Ubuntu 6.10), and in all cases, other OpenGL apps run fine and,
> >> as far as I can tell, there in no references any composite enabled in
> >> their xorg.conf files.  Perhaps we need to proactively disable
> >> something with an OPTION statement in the videocard device section?
> >>
> >>    This problem is preventing the SDK from working on the stock
> >> installations (+nvidia binary and otherwise working OpenGL) of several
> >> mainline Linux distributions.
> >>
> >>        -- Ed
> >>
> >>       --

> > Yes, this has been killing me and my friend Les, who is far far more
> > knowledgeable than I. Which options do you consider composite?
> > I have these set:
> >
> > Section "Module"
> > Load  "type1"
> > Load  "freetype"
> > Load  "glx"
> > Load  "dbe"
> > Load  "extmod"
> > and:
> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier  "Videocard0"
> > Driver      "nvidia"
> > VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
> > BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
> > Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
> >
> > I just don't see a specific setting for composite. I do know all I get
> > running the Croquet Collaborative is the red screen of death, while I
> > can run all the games, programming tools, etc. It's just that none of
> > the demos seem to work. I run plenty of apps that otherwise run openGL
> > just fine. AFAIK. I sure hope to get this resolved. Ric
>
> Might be referring to:
>
> Option  "Composite" "Enable"
>
> see appendix s:
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/README/README.txt

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Justin Emmanuel
One other thing, make sure you are not using compiz, aiglx and co. As Croquet
will definitely fail if you do.

I would really like to know if it is only Croquet's Opengl that is failing and
why. Previously I assumed that is might be Squeak's Opengl implementation
that Croquet uses. I would love to be able to find out which one it is.
Anyone know how to progress if it is something that is due to Squeak being at
fault?

On Monday 12 February 2007 14:08, Justin Emmanuel wrote:

> This is going to be a problem as all the new distros have moved to a
> situation where the composite extentions are enabled by default. because of
> the compiz aiglx phenomena that is going on.
>
> Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>
> Is something that I would try and change to false. I cant test these things
> on my current machine at the moment I am afraid, but I would also definatly
> change the
>
> Option  "Composite" "Enable"
>
> to false as well. And if it don't exist, add it and set it to false as I
> think that these things are now being added by default. Let us know how it
> goes for you.
>
> I would also like to find out if this is affecting all Squeak Opengl
> applications or only Croquet as well. If anyone test this please let us
> know how it goes.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Justin Emmanuel
>
> On Monday 12 February 2007 06:48, Brad Fuller wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:

> > > Yes, this has been killing me and my friend Les, who is far far more
> > > knowledgeable than I. Which options do you consider composite?
> > > I have these set:
> > >
> > > Section "Module"
> > > Load  "type1"
> > > Load  "freetype"
> > > Load  "glx"
> > > Load  "dbe"
> > > Load  "extmod"
> > > and:
> > > Section "Device"
> > > Identifier  "Videocard0"
> > > Driver      "nvidia"
> > > VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
> > > BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
> > > Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
> > >
> > > I just don't see a specific setting for composite. I do know all I get
> > > running the Croquet Collaborative is the red screen of death, while I
> > > can run all the games, programming tools, etc. It's just that none of
> > > the demos seem to work. I run plenty of apps that otherwise run openGL
> > > just fine. AFAIK. I sure hope to get this resolved. Ric
> >
> > Might be referring to:
> >
> > Option  "Composite" "Enable"
> >
> > see appendix s:
> >
> > ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/README/README.txt

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Bert Freudenberg
Sure - as I wrote below, you should compare what is different between
our way to initialize OpenGL and what other folks are doing.

- Bert -

On Feb 12, 2007, at 15:20 , Justin Emmanuel wrote:

> One other thing, make sure you are not using compiz, aiglx and co.
> As Croquet
> will definitely fail if you do.
>
> I would really like to know if it is only Croquet's Opengl that is
> failing and
> why. Previously I assumed that is might be Squeak's Opengl
> implementation
> that Croquet uses. I would love to be able to find out which one it
> is.
> Anyone know how to progress if it is something that is due to
> Squeak being at
> fault?
>
> On Monday 12 February 2007 14:08, Justin Emmanuel wrote:
>> This is going to be a problem as all the new distros have moved to a
>> situation where the composite extentions are enabled by default.
>> because of
>> the compiz aiglx phenomena that is going on.
>>
>> Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>>
>> Is something that I would try and change to false. I cant test
>> these things
>> on my current machine at the moment I am afraid, but I would also
>> definatly
>> change the
>>
>> Option  "Composite" "Enable"
>>
>> to false as well. And if it don't exist, add it and set it to
>> false as I
>> think that these things are now being added by default. Let us
>> know how it
>> goes for you.
>>
>> I would also like to find out if this is affecting all Squeak Opengl
>> applications or only Croquet as well. If anyone test this please
>> let us
>> know how it goes.
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Justin Emmanuel

>>> Might be referring to:
>>>
>>> Option  "Composite" "Enable"
>>>
>>> see appendix s:
>>>
>>> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9746/README/
>>> README.txt

Re: [croquet-consort] Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

David P. Reed
Here's how to add the composite extension to your xorg.conf:

    Section "Extensions"
            Option      "Composite"
    EndSection

Ed Boyce wrote:

>> Yes, this has been killing me and my friend Les, who is far far more
>> knowledgeable than I. Which options do you consider composite?
>> I have these set:
>>
>> Section "Module"
>> Load  "type1"
>> Load  "freetype"
>> Load  "glx"
>> Load  "dbe"
>> Load  "extmod"
>> and:
>> Section "Device"
>> Identifier  "Videocard0"
>> Driver      "nvidia"
>> VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
>> BoardName   "GeForce FX 5200"
>> Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>>
>> I just don't see a specific setting for composite. I do know all I get
>> running the Croquet Collaborative is the red screen of death, while I
>> can run all the games, programming tools, etc. It's just that none of
>> the demos seem to work. I run plenty of apps that otherwise run openGL
>> just fine. AFAIK. I sure hope to get this resolved. Ric
>>

>    This is the same failure mode I see, on several distros, with the same
> xorg.conf settings for the nvidia card.
>
>         -- Ed
>

>> --
>> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
>> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
>> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
>> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
>> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
>> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
>> http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: [croquet-consort] Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Jens Lincke
for me

Section "Extensions"
     Option "Composite" "disable"
EndSection

made croquet work

David P. Reed wrote:
> Here's how to add the composite extension to your xorg.conf:
>

>     Section "Extensions"
>             Option      "Composite"
>     EndSection

Doesn't seem to affect the OpenGL initialization failure, at least on FC
6, with the above section inserted into the xorg.conf file and Option
"Composite" either enabled or disabled in the video card section.

   -- Ed

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 14:08 +0000, Justin Emmanuel wrote:

> This is going to be a problem as all the new distros have moved to a situation
> where the composite extentions are enabled by default. because of the compiz
> aiglx phenomena that is going on.
>
> Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>
> Is something that I would try and change to false. I cant test these things on
> my current machine at the moment I am afraid, but I would also definatly
> change the
>
> Option  "Composite" "Enable"
>
> to false as well. And if it don't exist, add it and set it to false as I think
> that these things are now being added by default. Let us know how it goes for
> you.
>
> I would also like to find out if this is affecting all Squeak Opengl
> applications or only Croquet as well. If anyone test this please let us know
> how it goes.

OK, I'll disable the AddARGBGXVisuals as I killed off compiz. Nice
eye-candy but just adds another layer of dysfunction to X. Now I'm
getting an error that seems to have nothing to do with openGL. Please
note that if I try "simpledemo" Croquet freezes straight up and I have
to kill -9 it's process ID. I got this error attempting to run Demo
Master:

ERROR: 192.168.1.101:37501 ConnectionClosed: Connection close while
waiting for
[] in Socket>>waitForData {[ConnectionClosed signal: 'Connection close
while wai
[] in TMessageRouterClient(TMessageRelay)>>runReaderProcess {[buf
atAllPut: 0.
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value. {[self perform: aSelector]}
 Processor terminateActive]}

I don't seem to get the openGL error in the Squeak3D.log now.

On Feb 12, 2007, at 19:19 , Ric Moore wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 14:08 +0000, Justin Emmanuel wrote:
>> This is going to be a problem as all the new distros have moved to
>> a situation
>> where the composite extentions are enabled by default. because of
>> the compiz
>> aiglx phenomena that is going on.
>>
>> Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>>
>> Is something that I would try and change to false. I cant test
>> these things on
>> my current machine at the moment I am afraid, but I would also
>> definatly
>> change the
>>
>> Option  "Composite" "Enable"
>>
>> to false as well. And if it don't exist, add it and set it to
>> false as I think
>> that these things are now being added by default. Let us know how
>> it goes for
>> you.
>>
>> I would also like to find out if this is affecting all Squeak Opengl
>> applications or only Croquet as well. If anyone test this please
>> let us know
>> how it goes.
>
> OK, I'll disable the AddARGBGXVisuals as I killed off compiz. Nice
> eye-candy but just adds another layer of dysfunction to X. Now I'm
> getting an error that seems to have nothing to do with openGL. Please
> note that if I try "simpledemo" Croquet freezes straight up and I have
> to kill -9 it's process ID. I got this error attempting to run Demo
> Master:
>
> ERROR: 192.168.1.101:37501 ConnectionClosed: Connection close while
> waiting for
> [] in Socket>>waitForData {[ConnectionClosed signal: 'Connection close
> while wai
> [] in TMessageRouterClient(TMessageRelay)>>runReaderProcess {[buf
> atAllPut: 0.
> [] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value. {[self perform:
> aSelector]}
>  Processor terminateActive]}
>
> I don't seem to get the openGL error in the Squeak3D.log now.
> Ric

Does anybody know what the equivalent of TGraphicsTest is in current
Croquet? That used to be a helpful diagnostic tool in the "old" days.

- Bert -

Re: [croquet-consort] Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

David P. Reed
I really can't figure out what is going on in your cases.   I use FC6
with nvidia, and it has worked fine for me on an x86_64 notebook and it
has worked fine for me.   I will poke around a bit more.

Ed Boyce wrote:

> David P. Reed wrote:
>
>> Here's how to add the composite extension to your xorg.conf:
>>

>>     Section "Extensions"
>>             Option      "Composite"
>>     EndSection
>>

> Doesn't seem to affect the OpenGL initialization failure, at least on FC
> 6, with the above section inserted into the xorg.conf file and Option
> "Composite" either enabled or disabled in the video card section.
>
>    -- Ed

>>>    This is the same failure mode I see, on several distros, with the
>>> same
>>> xorg.conf settings for the nvidia card.
>>>
>>>         -- Ed

Re: [croquet-consort] Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Ed Boyce
David,

   Your's is the first case we know of the SDK working on FC 6.

   Could you please share a copy of your xorg.conf with us?

       -- Ed

David P. Reed wrote:

> I really can't figure out what is going on in your cases.   I use FC6
> with nvidia, and it has worked fine for me on an x86_64 notebook and it
> has worked fine for me.   I will poke around a bit more.
>
> Ed Boyce wrote:
>> David P. Reed wrote:
>>
>>> Here's how to add the composite extension to your xorg.conf:
>>>

>>>     Section "Extensions"
>>>             Option      "Composite"
>>>     EndSection
>>>

>> Doesn't seem to affect the OpenGL initialization failure, at least on FC
>> 6, with the above section inserted into the xorg.conf file and Option
>> "Composite" either enabled or disabled in the video card section.
>>
>>    -- Ed

Re: Cannot Initialize Opengl

Les Howell
I think it is from squeak, but I am not yet sure.  I am struggling to
get another system up so I can check between the two of them to help me
isolate the issues involved.

Regards,

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 04:19 -0800, Les wrote:
> I think it is from squeak, but I am not yet sure.  I am struggling to
> get another system up so I can check between the two of them to help me
> isolate the issues involved.

I would think that one of those demos would just run standalone with
requiring a local net. I don't seem to be having the openGL errors after
reloading the openGL rpms, which kinda negate the builtin openGL my
nvidia card has. It seems to be just networking on this end. Did you do
that update procedure I wrote you about?? It'll take the better part of
an hour to do, at least, but I have fewer errors. There is one or two
that are just crapped out. You'll know them as they have only one entry,
like balloon and several next to it in the list. They lock me up solid.
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Linux fix

Bert Freudenberg
Hi folks,

Jens Lincke of impara and me worked with NVIDIA developer support to
figure out what the problem is when "Composite" is enabled. Turns out
it is a fault on our part - their diagnostic was:

"the app is trying to create a depth 24 child window of a depth 32
parent and the app specifies neither a border pixel nor a border pixmap"

So here's a patch that indeed fixes the problem for our test machine:

        http://impara.de/~jens/glx_bug.diff

The patch also adds a bit more verbose X error diagnostics.

Cheers to all, in particular the NVIDIA guys :)

- Bert -

glx_bug.diff (2K) Download Attachment
12